Thread: I think I have narrrowed down my search

I think I have narrrowed down my search

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Im new to the forum but have spent the last week or so reading through it every night.(Yes I am a bit anal and will make a good coffee snob Im sure)
    Im nearly ready to take the coffee plunge
    I have not got a tight budget (Im single !!!) but my commonsense says to keep it under 3 big ones. As for coffee I like a shot, and a cappuccino, my girlfriend likes a latté or cappuccino, two of my neighbors sometimes call in for cappuccino in the mornings. I dont entertain too much but admit it would be nice to knock of a coffee for half a dozen people when I do.
    I like the sound of a twin boiler (like the Expobar` minore2)
    On one of your threads last year it said that VMB domobar were supposedly bringing one out this year... any news on this as I like the Domabar super lever.
    My list of machines may seem like chalk and cheese to some , but here bit is
    Expobar minore2
    VMB domobar super lever
    Isomac Zaffro
    Rancio Silvia (I know shes in the lower end pricewise, but how could I leave her out there is so much written about her I feel i know her already
    Any quality issues pros and cons on your machine would be appreciated and what grinder would you recommend ( is the rocky good enough for all home machines?)
    Of course a tamper (probably Pullman)
    PS My Barista abilities are at the beginner end. I had not even looked up a coffee site until my machine died (please dont laugh but I have been using a cafe aroma I also found out I have been using a non pressurised filter , more by luck than good judgment as I seemed to have lost the original I ground my fresh beans (from a local coffee shop) in a $100 Delonghi KG59 grinder
    although I can probably lay claim to fitting a temp controller (PID) about 25 years ago to a friends machine, though the controller was in those days huge by todays comparisons *!!

Re: I think I have narrrowed down my search

Hey bigfly, welcome!
    How much of that 3G do you want to put towards a grinder. If I were you, Id be hitting up a Mazzer Mini (over a Rocky, but it would do), Which leaves you with a good amount (plus maybe a bit) for a good HX or DB machine. Im sure youve done your reading on these. When I was in your position a while ago, I had my list down to something like, MinoreII, then Isomac Mondiale, then VBM Domo Sup, then Pimped Giotto. As you can see I went the Minore II line as it suited me needs perfectly (and them some;)). The new VBM DB looks great! but Id be waiting a bit longer for the the teething problems to be ironed out, if any. Plus I think its going to be over your budget too.

Let me know if you want more info on the Minore though. If you can though, try them ALL out. Thats the ONLY way youre going to get a feel of what you really want/need. Where abouts do you live?

YeeZa

TC

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly link=1207178452/0#0 date=1207178452
    I like the sound of a twin boiler (like the Expobar` minore2) On one of your threads last year it said that VMB domobar were supposedly bringing one out this year... any news on this as I like the Domabar super lever.
    Hi bigfly and welcome!

VBM dual boiler- its on the way and ECA are hoping to have a trial machine on display at Cafebiz. Pricing will probably be over $3k though. It should be pretty impressive, though well and truely overkill for most of us.

My list of machines may seem like chalk and cheese to some , but here bit is
    Expobar minore2
    VMB domobar super lever
    Isomac Zaffro
    Rancio Silvia (I know shes in the lower end pricewise, but how could I leave her out there is so much written about her I feel i know her already
    You will benefit by having a look/chat aboout them to help you establish a short list. We would be delighted to assist!

Any quality issues pros and cons on your machine would be appreciated and what grinder would you recommend ( is the rocky good enough for all home machines?)
    Yes- there are differences. Im happy to supply my take on the pros and cons...

Of course a tamper (probably Pullman)
    PS My Barista abilities are at the beginner end. I had not even looked up a coffee site until my machine died (please dont laugh but I have been using a cafe aroma I also found out I have been using a non pressurised filter , more by luck than good judgment as I seemed to have lost the original I ground my fresh beans (from a local coffee shop) in a $100 Delonghi KG59 grinder
    although I can probably lay claim to fitting a temp controller (PID) about 25 years ago to a friends machine, though the controller was in those days huge by todays comparisons *!!
    A Pullman is a great start. You may also gain value from a good course.

In short, do the research, buy the best grinder you can possibly afford and get some really fresh, high quality coffee and caffeine heaven will not be too far away!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1207178452/0#2 date=1207187209
    A Pullman is a great start.
    SHOCK and HORROR!!!

A pullman is not only a great start it is a great finish too ;)

Hi bigfly
    I bought a VBM super from a non CS sponsor who has now left the country and I now have major warranty issues as it has had problems ( purchased before the sponsors sold them)
    I think the VBM is a great machine however.
    I purchased a Pullamn tamper which is superb and well worth the money
    I also bought a mini mazzer at the same time which grinds brilliantly but annoys me as it is so messy, leaves grinds in the doser and throws to the left. I am going to sell it when the new Macap M5 electronics arrive
    My advice is I think its important that whatever you buy - buy from reliable people - ideally Coffee snobs sponsors here
    Good luck
    Dr Dave

Good call Dr D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave link=1207178452/0#4 date=1207189129
    I also bought a mini mazzer at the same time which grinds brilliantly but annoys me as it is so messy, leaves grinds in the doser and throws to the left. I am going to sell it when the new Macap M5 electronics arrive
    Dr *Dave
    Hey Dave. There are ways (read Mods) to get around the mess in the Mazzer Mini. They require not much more than a little time, a roll of electrical tape and a small thin plastic sheet.

Google for:

1) Mazzer mini tape mod (this mod will require you to take apart the dosing stars and using electrical tape to create a brush that will touch the bottom of the dosing chamber). This mod ensures that all the grind gets swept out of the chamber as the dosing stars dont actually touch the bottom of the chamber.

In addition, Ive done an extra mod (not on google searches) where you electrical tape a flap over the top part of the dosing star vanes and the flap slips in the space under the top vane. This ensure that grind off the top metal spacing cover is swept into the bottom of the chamber.

2) Mazzer Mini doser throw mod (this will require you to cut a small square-ish piece of thin plastic/some have used the cut up metal of coke or red bull can to stick on the left side of dosing hole where the grinds drops into the PF). This mod essentially adds a screen on the left to block where the grind throws left, ensuring that the grinds fall stright into the PF.

http://www.portafilter.net/2008/02/hey-kidz-make-your-mazzer-dose-like_24.html

You can do much better than a coke can.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169720281;start=all

Many thanks guys, have done most of those mods I found a little plastic medication cup fits pefectly in the mazzer doser shute!, however it irritates me that you spend nearly $800 and have to add bits of tape and plastic to it. Have already ordered the Macap. Best wishes
    Dave

My old Macap M5 throws left; I hope your new one is better behaved.

P.S. Mines not that bad I suppose; I just had to learn hold the PF exactly 15.45mm to the left and 5.62mm below the exit hole and provided I hit the handle with a consistant force of 2.248 pounds it lands perfectly in the basket.

hi bigfly
    If youre happy to keep the price under $3000 then you should buy a machine that has the option to be plumbed in and drained out (in addition to internal water tank and drip tray). Doing this bit of easy home plumbing (including a filtered water feed) adds to the absolute convenience of a top-end home machine. Also make sure you get a group head pressure gauge (measuring head pressure - up to 10 bars). All very useful features. I have had many machines over the years and the E61 head is absolutely brilliant and a must have. I have an Isomac La Mondiale. Theres a few places you can buy this machine. I highly recommend it. Mike

Thank you all for your resopnses and advice, the search will continue over the weekend, I too think its a bit rich having to modify a $800 grinder.
    A strange thing happened today I came accross an old expresso machine (single pull that appears built like a sherman tank ) Its behind a lot of other junk I told the guy I would be interested in moving the junk and having a look at it.
    It has a 10 amp plug and plumbing is all I could see... It may make an interseting option. I think I will have a close look and find out some info.
    Its rather retro looking in italian racing red. (I used to work in the petro chem industy as a dual tradesperson (A grade eleco/ instrument maker-repairer/ electronics techinition ) so I think I could repair whats required. . I need to pull the covers off and look inside !! Even if I buy a new machine it would make a good project if I can get it cheap enough- *maybe the coffe Gods are calling?