Thread: brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

blunt

brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    can someone advise me on this? ive got the pressure stat set at 1.2 bar right now. water coming out of the portafilter is only 82C after cooling flush. shouldnt i be closer to 93-96C ? ive set the pressure stat up as high as 1.6 bar with little change.
    it seems to be consistent at about 82C regardless of how its set. i will admit im using a somewhat primitive thermometer but i have several and they all read the same. any help would be appreciated.

Re: brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

Are you giving the temperature time to recover after the cooling flush? I have a dual boiler, but my understanding of the HX cooling flush is that you do it, then wait 10-30 seconds or so (depending on the machine) for the temperature to recover before starting the shot.

its probably the testing...sticking a thermometer under it is not going to work. You need a proper testing PF. Probably the closest to that would be to dose and tamp and then stick in a K type wire to a thermocouple that allows you to lock the PF in place like normal, lock it in and pull a shot and see how the temp goes.

Cheers

ozscott is on the money...

The temperature of water in a HX is dependent on the water flow rate - and that is reduced by the puck.....

So an open PF will allow a much higher flow rate = lower temperature.

You either have to buy a special PF - which has a built in thermocouple and a flow adjuster (read VERY expensive) or put a small bead type thermocouple into a packed PF (on top of the puck).....

Just measuring open water flow temperature is meaningless.

blunt

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1207251914/0#3 date=1207263413
    ozscott is on the money...

The temperature of water in a HX is dependent on the water flow rate - and that is reduced by the puck.....

So an open PF will allow a much higher flow rate = lower temperature.

You either have to buy a special PF (which has a built in thermocouple and a flow adjuster (read VERY expensive) or put a small bead type thermocouple into a packed PF (on top of the puck).....

Just measuring open water flow temperature is meaningless.
    ok thanks. i think im being a bit too anal. i just want to get all i can out of my machine. the espresso im pulling out of it tastes good so i think ill leave it at that

Also be sure to allow your machine to fully warm up. A good rule of thumb is that Cimbalis should be on for a good hour before being used with some saying they need to be on for at least an hour and a half.

The cooling/shot regimen that I use is: (shower dance plus 5 seconds flush) weigh and grind the beans (shower dance plus 3 seconds flush) fill and tamp the basket (pull the shot). Note: Portafilter is removed during flushes.

The exact regimen thats right for you and your equipment only you can determine. With lots and lots of playing with it all! ;D :) ;D

Java "Having fun" phile