Thread: me and my mondiale

me and my mondiale

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Wow!! what a machine! Afflicted with upgraditis for almost a year, I took the plunge this week. There seems to be lots of posts about "which machine to buy" so I thought Id share my experience. Living out of melbourne means exposure to high end domestic machines is very limited; I didnt know what was out there or that there were so many semi-pro machines available. That was until I googled "coffee machines retail melbourne". It was like a portal into a parallel world! And the very first machine I saw?..... (on an on-line site), was the isomac mondiale! Well, I thought, thats cool but too pricey (discounted to $2900!), so I looked elsewhere; you know them all: VBM, ECM, Domus, Diamond Italia, expobar and Diadema. Got to see most of them in real time but I kept drifting back to the mondiale, it just looked so cool. I found little things about most of the other machines that , in my mind, counted against them to some degree. Things like : boxy design, attention to finish detail, *powder coated chassis, lack of drip tray design was a biggy and chromed plastic being passed off as sexy!!

During my search my son told me of coffeesnobs, which was great cause it was how I was able to tie all the loose ends together and make a decision. Info on isomacs doesnt feature on CS much but one thread was pivotal. That thread is ; coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1189389678 posted by DavidR. Here was someone with with an almost cult machine (arent they all?), blown away by his experience with the mondiale, that counts for something and other responses brought up more "hands on" information. But where to see one in melbourne? It seemed they werent in town and I was definitely not buying on-line. I was also talking to lots of people and about this time I rang a machine repair guy in eltham, amongst other things he told me that a certain store in melbourne had espresso machines, not having heard of this outlet before I gave them a ring...... crunch! I couldnt believe my ears......ISOMAC!!!!! I would be able to see one after all, boy, was I stoked! So, after 6 weeks research, I had an appointment to bench test an isomac (but not the mondiale) and a short list of just one other machine. It was love at first sight and it only got better from there; I was sold.

The next thing for me was a couple of days cooling off!! Am I making the right decision? One of the fundamentals I gained from reading lots of reviews, posts and their threads on CS was that at this level all these machines will make great coffee and that their little differences can all be managed or tolerated given that the most sage comment I read on CS was..... "none of these machines are rolls royces". Other CSrs have asked "head or heart?" I would say that if youre asking that question then you should definitely go with your heart. The big day arrived. The plan was to unpack a mondiale from its box and then spend an hour being shown how to use it. Not a bad approach I thought .... no surprises back home. There was lots of anticipation in the shop, this was the first time a mondiale was on the bench rather than the shelf and it excelled... have you ever seen hardened coffee freaks speechless (after half a dozen shots)? I had only packed an e61 group pf basket once before but here I was pulling better than cafe shots right from the start! And dont get me started on the steam, being shown the correct technique for this machine meant that from my first try it was effortless and fast and the milk texture is amazing, I mean amazing! I had other things to do so I didnt get home til late and only had a little play that evening. Next morning, up, turn the machine on, then down to the shop for 8 litres of milk, yep, I was shacking up with my baby. Got home and I couldnt believe it....... BLACKOUT!!!!... and it went on and on, all I could do was look at her, I mean IT. Its a gorgeous looking machine very stylish and out of the square, literally, absolutely stable on the well designed feet and with a really eye catching look to the drip tray, which, incidentally, is a breeze to remove AND replace. The water res. is a cinch to fill with the handle of the cover being the back rail of the warming tray, which carries the bold but very groovy branding. A couple of vibration rattles, which were easily fixed with tiny stick on rubber pads, was the only downside (but you cant see them). After rest all it needs is one cooling flush, then it will go all day, very consistent brewing temp.... perhaps its having a pressurestat *rather than a thermostat keeping things even in the boiler? And why dont more machines have toggles for steam and hot water?... they are a really good idea. I absolutely recommend this machine... gorgeous, sexy and which performs at the highest level. Ps the other machine I would have bought... unico splendour... that retro look is a killer! oh and I paid $2550 for the isomac. cheers, be a nut *

Re: me and my mondiale

Nice post -- glad you like it!

Were still very happy with ours after almost 18 months.
    Yes do like those toggles.

Have fun!

Welcome beanut and great first post [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Great to read a post from someone so enthusiastic about their machine. They sure look like a beautiful bit of gear.

What grinder have you paired it with?

Greg

Thanks for the encouragement. My previous machine was one of those terrible fully auto things, so I dont have a grinder just yet. As this is my first real machine theres a lot to learn, especially consistency, so having established a good grind in the shop I brought some home to concentrate on packing the two basket sizes and achieving consistent shots. I know Im sacrificing freshness for now but I will purchase a grinder in a couple of weeks and then work on that variable. One thing at a time. Just a bit of research into grinders has led straight to the macap m4d. Like the look of the isomac cassetto. cheers be a nut

I have an older Macap MC5.
    Love it!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1209197785/0#4 date=1209209140
    Love it!
    erm...unless the dosing chamber fell off your macap TG, its an M5 ;)

C

Hey beanut,

If you thought your Mondiale goes well with pre-ground (unfortunately stale 10 mins after its ground :(), wait till you get your grinder (a good quality grinder being equally as, if not more, essential as the machine) and use good quality, FRESH beans.

Well be expecting another exuberant post from you then ;).

Have fun on your grinder hunt.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1209197785/0#5 date=1209209250
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1209197785/0#4 date=1209209140
    Love it!
    erm...unless the dosing chamber fell off your macap TG, its an M5 *;)

C
    Thanks for the correction Chris. :-[
    Too many numbers and letters for this old brain to remeber correctly.

Beanut,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Mondiale! Every time I visit my fathers house, the Mondiale is ready-to-go and I can instantly pull a great shot and froth milk like a pro. Considering Ive had my ECM Botticelli for 4 years and its still very hit-and-miss, this goes to show you how good the Mondiale is.

The only reason Ive havent borrowed it during my parents overseas holiday is that it wont fit in my kitchen.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Coffee is now absolutely amazing!! Chris (Talk Coffee) delivered my macap m4d stepless last week along with a 2 hour tutorial on coffee making. I cant believe how much bad coffee (stale and/or poorly brewed), Ive paid for over the years!! Will give some feedback on the grinder under that heading.
    The mondiale is absolutely cruising! I can tell you that the pressure at the group head (press. gauge pf ) is 9.5 bar when the system pressure is running at 9 bar. The pump is apparently quieter than other machines and the milk texturing is a breeze with the standard tip. It requires a cooling flush, when idle and hot, of 100mls then approx 50mls between shots if youre steaming milk, otherwise its ready to go with a quick rinse through the shower screen. Love the machine so much I bought one for the vineyard kitchen (paired with an isomac grinder), nobody should drink bad coffee!! I cannot recommend Chris highly enough; if youre purchasing from him or want to make better coffee by understanding it more then Chris is your guy!!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by beanut link=1209197785/0#9 date=1210566988
    Coffee is now absolutely amazing!! Chris (Talk Coffee) delivered my macap m4d stepless last week along with a 2 hour tutorial on coffee making. I cant believe how much bad coffee (stale and/or poorly brewed), Ive paid for over the years!! Will give some feedback on the grinder under that heading.
    The mondiale is absolutely cruising! I can tell you that the pressure at the group head (press. gauge pf ) is 9.5 bar when the system pressure is running at 9 bar. The pump is apparently quieter than other machines and the milk texturing is a breeze with the standard tip. It requires a cooling flush, when idle and hot, of 100mls then approx 50mls between shots if youre steaming milk, otherwise its ready to go with a quick rinse through the shower screen. *Love the machine so much I bought one for the vineyard kitchen (paired with an isomac grinder), nobody should drink bad coffee!! I cannot recommend Chris highly enough; if youre purchasing from him or want to make better coffee by understanding it more then Chris is your guy!!
    Hi Beanut...

Thrilled that you found your session useful 8-)

Sorry to correct you, but you have purchased a Macap M4. The M4D is the digital and much more expensive electronic doserless version.

Enjoy the improved shots ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by beanut link=1209197785/0#9 date=1210566988
    Love the machine so much I bought one for the vineyard kitchen (paired with an isomac grinder), nobody should drink bad coffee!!
    Hi be-a-nut! Did I read that right? You bought another Mondiale!!! And whats a vineyard kitchen? Is that like an outdoor kitchen youve got out the back of your grape plantation?

If thats all a yes, then youve got one heck of a set up happening! ;) Enjoy... and if youve got the chance/desire, post up a review with pics! Id love to read/see...

Cheers,
    Ben

been off line for a while so sorry I havent replied to you benandfaith, the pitiful state of telecommunications in rural australia defies understanding! I lease and manage a vineyard including a large shed with kitchen facilities. Im generally on my own but at times employ up to 10 or 15 people, lifes too short for anyone to drink bad coffee and I know I would go home to the office just to have my espresso!!
    So, as requested here are some pics of the gear. The coffee experience is getting better and better the more consistent I become: these amazing machines do their job just fine! By the way, I saw an isomac "alba" on saturday- very, very nice!!Thanks for the correction Chris, thought d was for doser......

another one

Its hard to find a sexier looking prosumer out there a the moment. DEADLY!
    I never get sick of looking at these babies.

wait theres more

this is what its about ! (well it floats my boat!) sexy as.........!

Very nice!!!!

I thought the mondiales come with SS portafilters?

mmm shiny...

so did I and Im still trying to find out what happened to them. All the mondiale advertising imagery shows them. The only clue I have is that they (isomac or the local distributor) have made the mondiale price competitive with its peer machines. I have seen it advertised at over $3000 but its selling for $2650 currently in melbourne. Reduced freight and manufacturing costs would be the payoff. But I speculate. Ill post when I find out.... be nice though, to at least be offered the option..... the dealer (great people, awesome service) in melbourne is onto it. Off to the kitchen for coffee, now where did I leave those sunglasses......... cheers! beanut

TC

I think that the findings were that the SS portafilters were getting too hot....Perhaps it may have been a case a function over form ;)

2mcm

Thanks Chris, Ive read that they do heat up over time and I guess in a domestic situation, if the machines been idling an hour or two.... ouch! I certainly wanted to see them but having the machine for a few weeks now I actually like how the standard black pf handle provides a visual counterpoint to the ss toggles and lever. A little bit of the traditional softens the look and ties it with the black and chrome of the grinder........ still like to see one though!

Verry nice, Beanut. Beautiful setup.

I dont mind the black PF, it gives a bit of contrast to all the shiny ss, as well as blending with the Macap. (And saving our retinas from total burn-out ;D.)

So what are the speakers for?

:-)

PA system used by both coffee demons, curses and coffee goddesses, sighs of pleasure!!

I LOVE my mondiale! Although I do constantly get burnt. Theres a reason why there are Warnings such as Achtung! Heiss! on the machine. However, it makes the best coffee. a fantastic little machine. Havent met someone yet, who hasnt fallen in love with their mondiale. or ours.

Bought a Mondiale Professionale grinder to go with the machine, I have to say, im not too thrilled with it....

Fantastic machine. Average grinder....

Your vinyard with the shed/kitchen sounds lovely. Perfect setting for a perfect brew!

So beanut, how many hours did you put in buffing that puppy before taking the photos ;)?

All I can say is why not ;) - I spend many, and my Minores not even pretty to look at like yours.

even the ark of the covenant probably got a regular polish, so like a gleaming phoenix the machine rises from the sea of coffee grounds (which seems to be part and parcel of this new experience). A regular workout with a spectacle cleaning cloth keeps my mondiale looking its best; these beasts just beg for attention!

Congrats on the purchase Beanut!

Even you knock-box is shiny! ;) Ive not seen one of its kind before, just curious as to what make it is?

Cheers,

-Alchemist-

Hi Alchemist! the knock box is an ">incafe" , a stable mate of ">incasa" milk jugs (I presume). But watch this space, in a week or so I expect to post some pics of a locally designed and produced stainless product in two sizes. The >incafe retails approx. $50.
    And for obscura a couple of posts back; yep, the vineyard is a great place for a brew so you and all csrs are welcome any time.
    Also working on a cassette (drawer) design to suit the heavier home grinders like macap/mazzer.... well see. cheers!

You have no idea how happy a knock box directly under the grinder would make my missus. Looking forward to hearing about a locally designed model :)

Hi Chris,

How much is the Macap M4D? Is this the stepless version in chrome?

Cheers

Moto

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Moto link=1209197785/30#30 date=1213247275
    Hi Chris,

How much is the Macap M4D? *Is this the stepless version in chrome?

Cheers

Moto
    Hi Moto,

RRP os $1190 and I regret that we have sold out. We may be getting some more in the near future but I dont presently have confirmation.

I believe that DiBartoli may still have some. Might be worth giving Ofra and Renzo a try ;)

Hey guys, just have to say that I have had the most amazing run of shots flowing out of my Mondiale lately. Shot after shot with various coffee that I have put through it. Simply divine.

Actually i am sitting here drinking a flat white, looking at the machine on my kitchen bench. It is so dam sexy... Every part of it is "hot", even the legs. I love this machine.

I know that there are other machines out there with bigger boilers and elements etc... But there is not 1 complaint to come out of my mouth about this machine.

Hi all

Christretto addmitted to us that:
    > It is so dam sexy... Every part of it is "hot", even the legs. I love this machine.

I know how you feel. I have also got a lovely new sexy Italian in the kitchen (Galatea) and the wife likes her too :-) Its a bit like the ad on TV for colorbond roofs where the guy goes outside to admire his roof - I resisted popping out of bed during the night and sneaking down to the kitchen to have another look at her :-)

Mike