Thread: Well I jumped in at the pointy end

Well I jumped in at the pointy end

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After much internet research and feed back I decided to bypass upgrade-itis (at least for a while) and jump straight into the pointy end, and the winners were - VBM domobar superlever (all stainless), Mazzer Mini grinder, Pullman tamper and a few other bits and pieces from a site sponsor as you all recommended (Chris at talk coffee) and I am very,very pleased with the results and service.
    I spoke to Chris several times to help narrow what suited me the best and Chris quickly answered all my queries. .I made an appointment and called in to the showroom where Chris demonstrated the superlever and I carefully watched him grind, tamp and pull a few shots. I was won over. So out came the wallet and the CS wallet monster struck
    Sadly I only had time to take the gear home and unpack my goodies as I had to go away for the weekend and could not stop thinking about my shiny new machine awaiting my return!! .
    Once back home I jumped in for a play , I even fluked a good shot on the first pull but came thudding back to earth two shots later, but my tamping technique and grinding are back on track , I am even steaming silky microfroth most of the time ( I still struggle on a single small milk as the beastie certainly works quick)
    I had a concern that there was undue vibration on the Mazer dosing forks , so Chris invited me back and had a look at it for me and found that some finely ground coffee was throwing it out of balance (even though I had not moved the grinder setting from the factory pre-set). He showed me how to clean the grinder and set it back up, great service indeed..... Thanks Chris and to all Coffe Snobs for their advise
    :)

Re: Well I jumped in at the pointy end

Good news bigfly.

Care to give a more detailed review of your gear?

Enjoy your new gear and may your espresso journey be a wonderful experience........................................ .......gm

You will never ever be more excited about waking up extra early before work. I now wake up 2.5 hours as opposed to 1 hour before I have to leave.

Thwack thwack thwack....

Ahhhh the sweet smell of retail therapy ;) You probably found, as I did, that the demonstration is a vital part of the process. Im sure Chris has a dosing/tamping fairy hidden away ;D (dont blink or you miss it). It certainly made me feel more confident about the move to a bigger and better machine.

I opted for the Giotto and Macap 4D (cant wait for it to arrive in new batch). Ive just received the new Pullman tamper, so like yourself, feel on top of the world. My old workhorse (Silvia) is sat in her box ready to be adopted by another CS.

Good luck with the new kit and give us an update later.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1209380039/0#3 date=1209439491
    You will never ever be more excited about waking up extra early before work. I now wake up 2.5 hours as opposed to 1 hour before I have to leave.

Thwack thwack thwack....
    Not me, I havent had the chance. Havent been able to sleep ;D

TC

Im wrapped that youre happy with your new kit, bigfly 8-)

I hope the god shots come viscous and often!

Enjoy the journey...

Chris

P.S...Not too long now Ron ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1209380039/0#3 date=1209439491

Thwack thwack thwack....
    So... This "Thwacking" you speak of. I take it this is the noise created by the VBM when the timer turns it on nice and early for you? And it wakes you?
    Or am I misinterpreting your "thwacking"?
    If the former is the case, like how loud is it when power is applied?

I only ask because mines on order... A similar post in a bit less than a month if all goes well.
    I imagine running it on a power timer.

Congratulations to Bigfly, by the way! Our machines will be direct siblings, as mine is currently there awaiting me...

No no no....

Thwacking is the sound of the doser on the grinder.....

See ive got a fetish for pulling doser levers.......

the sound soothes me......

Ive got issues....leave me alone!

i think gavin1 was referring to the thwacking of the doser lever on his grinder. ;)
    Gavin1?

enjoy your new baby

Im not gonna lie - I love the thwack of a dosing lever in the morning! Even in cafes - its remarkably soothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ona rampage link=1209380039/0#1 date=1209421733
    Good news bigfly.

Care to give a more detailed review of your gear?
    A bit of a review of first impressions.
    I really spent a lot of time researching before I narrowed down my choices (weeks and weeks) and I wanted to try to get my choice right
    I like a shot myself in the morning and so I was looking for something with a fairly big bulls-eye, capable of pouring half a dozen milk drinks for dinner guests, without me standing at the machine forever

Please understand I am new at this lot and cannot compare to other machines (except the crappy breville I used to own)

The machine
    Looks the part in shiny stainless steel, is very heavy and well built - a couple of the stainless edges appear a bit sharp around the drip tray and cup warmer, (I guess thats the laser cutting from the factory) I will smooth them off with a stone.
    Huge boiler, water tank and drip tray
    Pulls great looking shots like the photos and videos I have seen, occasional under or over extraction on taste,
    Takes a while to warm everything, found around 45 to 50 minutes is preferable, there is so much weight in the machine and grouphead to warm up
    Does not take long to for a preflush , flashboils off in 3 or four seconds after a long standing time (i believe this is because of the thermoshypon).. this was one of the reasons I was hesitant on HX machines, but according ton the many Reviews I have read this is one of the most stable and quick to flush back to temperature
    love the pump on / heater on switch , apparently usually only seen on pro machines (if you use it on start up guarantees you cant fry the boiler element, if your too lazy to check the water
    Steam power is awesome, and quick, too much power for me to steam a 300 ml jug for a single drink , a 600 jug for two works well and when I used the 1 liter jug its perfect (I guess I will improve on the smaller jugs as my experience goes, if its a concern you could block off one of the tip holes as CS ers have done but I would sooner work on my technique!. - on the smallest jug there seems to be too much happening at present. (I havent burnt myself on the wand yet !!)
    Im still working on my dosing/ tamping technique and have overfilled on the double portafilter a few` times (you know when you have it just doesnt fit up into the head)
    I started on the singles by weighing my coffee and at present I seem to be doing better than the doubles, so I will weigh the coffee for the doubles every know and then for comparison.
    I use a funnel to fill the water tank ( filtered water)
    Gauges are angled for a good view
    The grinder (Mazzer mini) is very good and consistent in grind quality, I will modify it so its sweeps a bit cleaner, but its not too bad. looks like it will last a lifetime build wise.
    The Pullman tamper is a work of art,
    Knock box in black , and black tamping matt
    Coffee by talk coffee - very nice (cant wait to try some other blends)

Below are a couple of links for very detailed reviews and the factory video The reviews are for the US models, but because we get 240 volt our machines perform even better

http://www.home-barista.com/vibiemme-domobar-super-review.html (home barista detailed review)

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/buyers-guide-to-vibiemme-domobar-super-t4019.html (same review with even more detail , forum comments , videos etc (quite lengthy but well worth a look)

http://www.lavibiemme.it/ (video of vibiemme manufacture)

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/ randy glasss review)

opps I forgot to add the under/ over extraction is due to my dosing/ tamping techniques... not the machine !!!!!! ::)