Thread: Domobar

Domobar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im trawling the market for e61 type espresso machines in anticipation of making a purchase later in the year. I see the Domobar, with its smaller tanks and a dual steam/water wand is significantly cheaper than Giotto, Domo Super and the likes. The smaller footprint is also attractive.
    Setting capacity aside, Im wondering how performance compares for low volume home use (1 or 2 cups at a time - 2 to 3 times/day max) in terms of construction, ease of use, coffee dispense and milk texturing. Any comment would be apppreciated.

Thank you.

TC

Re: Domobar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell link=1210032037/0#0 date=1210032037
    Im trawling the market for e61 type espresso machines in anticipation of making a purchase later in the year. *I see the Domobar, with its smaller tanks and a dual steam/water wand is significantly cheaper than Giotto, Domo Super and the likes. *The smaller footprint is also attractive. *
    Setting capacity aside, Im wondering how performance compares for low volume *home use (1 or 2 cups at a time - 2 to 3 times/day max) in terms of construction, ease of use, coffee dispense and milk texturing. *Any comment would be apppreciated.

Thank you.
    Hi Maxwell,

The Domobar (Vashetta) is a dual purpose boiler machine which operates like a Silvia (albeit superior). You pull your shot, push the steam button and wait...... then texture your milk etc. It is not comparable with the Giotto which is a heat exchanger machine allowing you to do effectively whatever youd like whenever you want to (within reason).

The Giotto would be better compared to the Domobar Super.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris:

Thank you for your response. It certainly does help. Another step on my learning curve.

Regards

Of course for the price of a Giotto or a Domobar Super you could buy 2 Domobar (levettas or whatever they get called) and have one for steaming and the other for coffee, or one at work, or one at the summer house, or $1200 worth of coffee!
    Greg

or a sexy sexy grainder! dont forget the grinder!

Whats your budget Maxwell?

s your budget Maxwell?[/QUOTE]

I guess I had resigned myself to spending around 3K for machine and grinder but like most of us, Im not averse to spending less either. *

Based on feedback in the "Grinders" forum, a grinder will be first priority. :) *

IMO, for small numbers of coffees at one time (4 or less) the small Domobar is an excellent machine, and the short wait for hot milk is not much of an issue if you dont want more coffee immediately (cooling down would be a longer wait!).
    I would recommend the Rancilio Rocky as the minimum grinder, and it can be easily improved with a few simple modifications. With the budget mentioned, Id be temped to go up a level in grinders.
    Greg

If 3K is your budget, Id be hitting up a Mazzer Mini or equivalent Compak, Macap M4/M5 etc - minimum. Then youve got a heap to play with as far as a machine goes. Close to any of the common HX or Duel boiler machines. Especially with some of the offers going around from our site sponsors with the Combo savers. Where abouts are you located? Maybe itll pay to visit one of the Sponsors shops and have a play.

Noting that you said only a couple of drinks a day, you could easily hit up a VBM Levetta/Vashetta or Expobar Leva. A few on this site own them and are v. happy with them. I guess it depends on what your needs are, as far as play-around-ability, tweakability, looks, upgraditis tolerance, etc ;)

With a 3k budget,

I would go 1/2 machine 1/2 grinder...

too bad the bazerra is gone....

otherwise you couldve gone bazerra + super jolly and spare change!

SJs were running out at Mini prices with the special deals Chris, and others were running. That leaves you with pretty much open doors on a large majority of the common HXs DBs. Expecially with the CS discount at some of the site sponos.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions guys.

I have a height restriction (420mm) between bench top and cupboards. The Mazzer will not slide under the cupboards, the M4 would be too close to call. The ECA KS and Best units will fit okay. Anyone had experience with them?

Regarding espresso units - the height thing is one attraction of the Domo. The Giotto would also work, but is more expensive. Now I understand the difference, I think, when the time comes, Ill go with a Giotto or similar if it is < 420 high.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell link=1210032037/0#11 date=1210198387
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions guys.

I have a height restriction (420mm) between bench top and cupboards. *The Mazzer will not slide under the cupboards, the M4 would be too close to call. *The ECA KS and Best units will fit okay. *Anyone had experience with them?

Regarding espresso units - the height thing is one attraction of the Domo. *The Giotto would also work, but is more expensive. *Now I understand the difference, I think, when the time comes, Ill go with a Giotto or similar if it is < 420 high.
    Hi Maxwell,

A Giotto will fit comfortably. Its 350mm high ;)

regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell link=1210032037/0#11 date=1210198387
    I have a height restriction (420mm) between bench top and cupboards. The Mazzer will not slide under the cupboards
    Personally, I wouldnt rule out the SJ on this basis - you can run the SJ hopperless, or you could remove the hopper to slide the grinder under the cupboards when not in use. Theres also a thread in the grinders section about smaller hoppers available for the SJ and mini in the US - I believe Chris might be investigating the possibility of importing some of these.

Either way, my advice would be to identify the best grinder that meets your budget, then figure out the logistics of fitting it in your kitchen ;)

Quote Originally Posted by m@ link=1210032037/0#13 date=1210224602
    Personally, I wouldnt rule out the SJ on this basis - you can run the SJ hopperless, or you could remove the hopper to slide the grinder under the cupboards when not in use. Theres also a thread in the grinders section about smaller hoppers available for the SJ and mini in the US - I believe Chris might be investigating the possibility of importing some of these.

Either way, my advice would be to identify the best grinder that meets your budget, then figure out the logistics of fitting it in your kitchen ;)
    I agree. As far as bang for your buck, SJs at that heavily discounted offer is just DEADLY. Before i moved into my new place, I had low cupboards and jsut ran the SJ with the plastic tamper in the throat (hopper-less). Now I have room. I stepped up from a Rocky, and I found the difference (in a lot of ways)much improved.

And with the left overs, youve got a lot of choices as far as machine goes.

Ok, I just measured my SJ without the hopper and itll fit under the 420mm mark (380mm), without the hopper. And because I put shorter feet on my Minore it also (coincidentally) falls under the 420mm mark. Food for thought. Ive been blessed in my current kitchen with 650mm under the cabinets. So SJ sits perfectly, with room to take the lid off too. Either way I would have cut into the cabinets anyway :) Cupboard space is over-rated.