Thread: Minore II brew pressure

Minore II brew pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The bar pressure gauge on my Minore reads up to 12 when I pull shots. Id like to adjust this to 9 bar, but not entirely sure where or how to do this. Hoping a Minore owner or knowledgeable person might know the answer to this?

The shots Im pulling still taste great and Im getting good crema. Just wondering if I would get a better brew at 9 bar. I looked up the manual, but couldnt find any info on where to adjust the OPV on the Minore. Theres a valve at the bottom when I remove the tray but unsure if this is it...

Thanks in advance.

TC

Re: Minore II brew pressure

Quote Originally Posted by 30in30 link=1210165318/0#0 date=1210165318
    The bar pressure gauge on my Minore reads up to 12 when I pull shots. *Id like to adjust this to 9 bar, but not entirely sure where or how to do this. *Hoping a Minore owner or knowledgeable person might know the answer to this?

The shots Im pulling still taste great and Im getting good crema. *Just wondering if I would get a better brew at 9 bar. *I looked up the manual, but couldnt find any info on where to adjust the OPV on the Minore. *Theres a valve at the bottom when I remove the tray but unsure if this is it...

Thanks in advance.
    Yes 30in30, thats the one and the adjustment will be anti-clockwise.

Hopefully its a brass central screw as the original plastic ones were prone to leak if adjusted.

Be aware that your pressure gauge will show system pressure, not pressure at the group and therefore the only way to accurately make an opv valve adjustment is to use a portafilter pressure gauge. I have seen machine gauges read up to 2.5 bar over what the actual group pressure is.

If your machine is new, Id set it at no less than 9.5 bar as the pump often "beds in" with a resultant drop of about 0.5 bar pressure. This *may* void your warranty depending on your dealers attitude. Perhaps it may be best to have it done where you purchased the machine?

Good luck ;)

Chris

Chris

Yeah thats the one. Like Chris said, anti-clockwise. They seem to be factory set at 12 bar. It was the first thing I did when I got mine. Its a couple of bar out at the group head to the reading. I think mine reads about 10.5ish+ on the dial. But actually closer to 9-9.5 actual. But yeah I think its pretty safe to play around with it... whatever works in the cup.

Chris/Yeeza, appreciate the info. I thought that might have been it but wasnt 100% sure.

I didnt know about the diff between grouphead and system pressure so thats great advice. Ive yet to see a pf pressure gauge so dont know what it looks like, but will probably go with 10-10.5 bar per Yeezas tip.

Ive had the machine for a bit over a year now so warranty aint a problem (hmmm... I think its 1 year) :-?

Thanks for the great tips as always guys.

Cheers!

30 in 30 if your machine is over a year old you may have the plastic opv which may fail if adjusted mine did but thankfully was replaced under warinty

30 I have a pressure guage.

Ummm,

Asking the obvious question, if you are getting shots that "still taste great and Im getting good crema", why muck around with it?

I would look to the other variables such as bean age, bean variety, roast level, grind size, portafilter capacity, amount of ground coffe used in the basket, tamp pressure, convex, concave or flat tamper, water temp, shot quantity, water quality, when the machine was last cleaned, ambient temperature etc etc etc ad infinitum before I mucked around with brew pressure adjustments that may void a warranty or which may be unrecoverable from.

IMHO I think the manufacturer has a fairly good idea on what default settings are needed on their products,

But thats just me.

wingnut he said its out of warranty.

Besides which the pressure can change a tad over time as the machines settles in.
    Chris said so above.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210165318/0#1 date=1210166233
    If your machine is new, Id set it at no less than 9.5 bar as the pump often "beds in" with a resultant drop of about 0.5 bar pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaM link=1210165318/0#4 date=1210246103
    30 in 30 if your machine is over a year old you may have the plastic opv...
    ParaM> Its the brass opv. Think I must have got one of the first new models cos it came with the cool-touch steam wand and the rails for the top-tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1210165318/0#5 date=1210250515
    TG> Do you get much use from the pressure gauge? Presume only use ocassionally to check.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut link=1210165318/0#6 date=1210254055
    Ummm, Asking the obvious question, if you are getting shots that "still taste great and Im getting good crema", why muck around with it?
    Wingnut> Ah... but theres always the question of, can it be better? Such is the path to coffee nirvana. ;)

Seriously have played around with temps, have a pretty good machine (like yours), roast my own beans fresh, good grinder, filtered water, clean freak, etc. etc. but am always constantly wanting to make a better cup, even if it tastes pretty good already! And even if it means I get the occassional bad pour... ::)

Spoken like a true CoffeeSnob!

Cheers m8

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 30in30 link=1210165318/0#8 date=1210378840
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1210165318/0#5 date=1210250515
    TG> Do you get much use from the pressure gauge? *Presume only use ocassionally to check.
    No. Yes.
    He with the most toys wins.

Hmmm, need more toys...

Back to my first post in this thread. After reading a couple of posts, I decided to throw in the double basket on the pf and checked the brew pressure. There was a significant drop from 12 bar to 4 bar! What the?! Big difference.

I repeated between the two a few times just to make sure:

With single basket = pressure gauge reported between 12 bar
    With double basket = pressure gauge reports 4 bar

Then adjusted OPV (clockwise, as I wanted to raise the pressure for the double):

With single basket = pressure gauge reported between 14 bar
    With double basket = pressure gauge reports 6 bar

Hmmmm... didnt think the basket size would make a difference but seems to be so in my case.

Do you have a correctly tamped puck in basket when taking those readings.... if not then Id expect a much lower reading as the pump can only supply so much flow at a given pressure.....

So free flowing in a double basket..... more water volume and lower pressure.

JavaB> On each I did ~15kg tamp. I pulled out the weight-scales just to check if I wasnt applying the right tamp pressure. I overdose with a slight mound then flatten with finger on both baskets.

Well Id say there is something wrong with the machine / gauge.....

It should be able to supply 9 bar of pressure with either 60ml in 30 secs or 30ml in 30 seconds flow..... in fact it should be able to provide quite a bit more than 60ml and still maintain 9 bar (within about 0.5 bar or so)

Oh no, life without the Minore! :( Lucky I have my aeropress to keep me going... :)

Umm, might be a bit obvious, but doesnt hurt to ask - you know that the pre-infusion starts the brew at about 3-4 bar then ramps up to full pressure after a few secs. Did you give it enough time before stopping the pour when you saw the 4 bar with the double? Doesnt make much sense to me. Single and double shouldnt make a difference. Have you tried it again? Let us know how you go.

YeeZa

Yeeza> Yes, taken pre-infusion into account. Ill pull a shot with the double until it blondes and way over 30s and see what the gauge reads. At the moment the double doesnt go beyond 6 bar within 60s.

What happens with the blind filter in? Whats it go to then?
    Very odd...

Yeeza> ~14 bar with blind filter.

Maybe fine up your grind a bit for the double. So at least there is pressure there to play with. So youd think if you gave a bit of pressure with a finer grind, 15 kegs of tamp, you should be apples.