Thread: Bezzera Domus Galatea 2 hole steam tip.

Bezzera Domus Galatea 2 hole steam tip.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Well, Ive finally moved up here to the pointy end and I must say, the views a lot better! :)

I am failing to get any consistant results with the 4 hole steam tip on the BZ, so I tried blanking two holes off with toothpick ends and *bingo*, perfect smooth microfoam. So, now Im looking for a 2 hole tip as I dont want to solder/braze the existing 4 hole.

Id like to know if anybody out there knows what 2 hole tip will fit the steam arm? Im not sure what thread the tip has, as the drawings only mention that its a steam tip with a male thread, but not what thread size.

b4b.

Re: Bezzera Domus Galatea 2 hole steam tip.

Quote Originally Posted by beanz4brainz link=1210413188/0#0 date=1210413188
    Well, Ive finally moved up here to the pointy end and I must say, the views a lot better! *:)
    cheeky bugger.... :P

L

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi link=1210413188/0#1 date=1210413531
    Well, Ive finally moved up here to the pointy end and I must say, the views a lot better! *:)
    cheeky bugger.... *:P

L

Cmon Lizzi..... ya know what Mal does with off topic threads! :P ;D ;D

b4b.

I hate my two hole steam tip. I get microfoam once every 5 times I steam with it. Blocked one of the holes with a toothpick.

I had pretty good results when steaming on a marzocco steam wand (4 holes)

want to trade? I had a laugh

Well, Ive finally moved up here to the pointy end and I must say, the views a lot better! :)
    cheeky bugger.... :P

L
    Exactly what I thought Lizzi..... ::)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1210413188/0#4 date=1210441038
    cheeky bugger.... *:P

L
    Exactly what I thought Lizzi..... ::)

Mal.
    Darn. I actually thought somebody might answer my question! Guess the icebreaker made me too big a target to resist. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210413188/0#3 date=1210426268
    want to trade? I had a laugh

No thanks Gavin, but thanks all the same. I always try to keep whatever machinery I own, able to be changed back to original spec.

b4b.

you should be able to get a two hole from coffeeparts.

The thing is, all two hole tips are angled differently so dont go ordering two holes hoping theyre all the same :D

mine is angeld in such a way that when one hole is whirlpooling the milk, the other is pushing in the other direction.

The pros do about 200mls of milk for two on a commercial 4 hole tip. If they can do it, with a little bit of practice a lot of milk down the sink, I reckon you can do it too!

Most two hole tips have very small holes and make texturing quite S----L----O----W and I found you really need to drill them out a bit.... They are really designed for machines with less steam output. The tip supplied with the machine is what the manufacturer has designed the machine to use.

But as Gavin said above.... you can texture small volumes of milk perfectly with a four hole (and Im no pro)....

It is fast, and very non forgiving but once you have mastered it it is really easy! You need to sacrifice some time - and quite a bit of milk initially - but it can be mastered....

When I started using a commercial machine - just keeping the milk in the jug was a challenge.... now making microfoam is easy peasy..... just takes some practice!!

I am failing to get any consistant results with the 4 hole steam tip on the BZ, so I tried blanking two holes off with toothpick ends and *bingo*, perfect smooth microfoam. * So, now Im looking for a 2 hole tip as I dont want to solder/braze the existing 4 hole.

Id like to know if anybody out there knows what 2 hole tip will fit the steam arm? * Im not sure what thread the tip has, as the drawings only mention that its a steam tip with a male thread, but not what thread size.

b4b.

Yeah b4b
    Man this machine makes a great espresso but the grind must be spot on
    However B4B I have the same milk problem with my Bezzera Domus the steam is so powerful that the milk gets hot in about 5 seconds or less

So instead of practicing on milk try practicing on water for swirl technique and strength of steam.
    Hope it helps as I am still getting used to it myself with mixed results. (Anyone for flat white)

However on that note I will go to see Chris or Jack at Barazi Brisbane sometime during the week for a handís on demo to see what I am doing wrong
    I will get back to you after my success
    Koffee Kosmo

Thanks for that.

Ill give Pedro of Coffeeparts a call tomorrow.

Thanks for that tip Java. Should be easy if the new holes are too small. I have a chockie box full of small drills in #, letter and fractional sizes.

Basically Im [s]very[/s] Lazy, :-[ so the challenge of working with the standard 4 hole tip doesnt really appeal to me.

b4b.

B4B

Went to Barazi Brisbane today for a practice on milk frothing with 4 hole tip.

The weak link was me
    This is the tecnique

Make sure all steam holes are working but release preasure about 3-5 seconds before starting (dont block any up as it alters the steam angles)

To steam milk
    Turn steam knob from 3/4 to full steam strength quickly

Use small 300ml jug for 1 cup and 600ml jug for 2 cup
    and steam with swirl tecnique as normal

Chris said its a commercial tip so expect quick results 5 to 8 seconds
    adjust the hight of tip quicker than normal
    Expect a 3 week practice period before you are any good at it

Now to practice

Koffee Kosmo

KK I dont understand the timing.

When do you put the wand in the milk, when do you turn steam to 3/4 and when to full?

TC

Hi all,

The 4 hole tip on the domus galatea is inherently fine and is pretty easy to use.

With any new tip there is a learning curve....

General suggestions:[*]Work just below the surface. If you hear any screaming sounds, youre way too deep[*]Orient the wand to create a whirlpool. I tend to rest the back of the jug on the back of the want and angle the wand a touch to create the whirlpool[*]Complete any required stretch (e.g for capp.) asap whilst maintaining swirl. This will remove any big bubbles if you slipped whilst stretching...[*]No need to tilt the jug- orient the wand instead[*]No need to immerse the wand at the end of the event as the milk will track a little way up the wand anyway

Usually, if the sounds are good and you have a whirlpool, the outcome will be great as well. If bubbles appear in the milk post-texturing, change milk!

The Domobar Super wand is more challenging than the Galatea, but is still very good when you get used to it ;-)

Good luck ;)

Chris

IMO 4 hole tips are easier to work on. It is quite similar to a single hole tip in the sense that you are looking for a whirlpool vortex and can steam little amounts of milk easier. Only tricky bit is that the milk heats up very quick.

With a two hole tip, the tumbling requires more depth in the milk. So steaming one portion of milk by tumbling on a two hole tip will definitely require a tiny jug.

The 600ml conical-ish jug that I have is horrible when I try to tumble the milk. But when I swap to a 500ml jug which isnt as conical, the milk sits a little higher and tumbling works.

Definitely experiment with different milk. Ive had mixed results with just one brand of milk.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210413188/0#13 date=1210583963
    IMO 4 hole tips are easier to work on
    I still maintain that the standard 8mm male Giotto tip is the best tip I have ever used...Its a no brainer for perfect microfoam every time 8-). The porting is the perfect 15 deg or thereabouts and 1.5mm holes. Its a perfect mix of speed and accuracy....

A VBM tip when modified to mimic this porting produces a transformed milk texture experience.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1210413188/0#11 date=1210576148
    KK I dont understand the timing.

When do you put the wand in the milk, when do you turn steam to 3/4 and when to full?
    After purging steam wand

Put the wand in the milk and turn steam knob in the visinity of between 3/4 to fully open quickly from the get go
    Not enough steam just makes hot milk

Chris also said
    The steam tip should be in the milk just enough to cover the steam holes and let the steam do the work

It seemed to work when I tried but I will need more practice

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1210413188/0#14 date=1210592202
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210413188/0#13 date=1210583963
    IMO 4 hole tips are easier to work on
    I still maintain that the standard 8mm male Giotto tip is the best tip I have ever used...Its a no brainer for perfect microfoam every time *8-). The porting is the perfect 15 deg or thereabouts and 1.5mm holes. Its a perfect mix of speed and accuracy....

A VBM tip when modified to mimic this porting produces a transformed milk texture experience.

Chris
    Chris does the Gioto tip fit the Bezzera ?
    I wouldnt mind having one to compare and if it works better keep it on

The Bezzera 2-hole tip is fantastic if you can get the swirl going and isnt dissimilar to the Giotto tip iirc (someone might know better).

The 4-hole tip was way too much for me starting out but now it makes milk steaming effortless! I advise sticking with it if you possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by Identity link=1210413188/15#17 date=1210605209
    The Bezzera 2-hole tip is fantastic if you can get the swirl going and isnt dissimilar to the Giotto tip iirc (someone might know better).

The 4-hole tip was way too much for me starting out but now it makes milk steaming effortless! I advise sticking with it if you possibly can.

I have made 6 cups since training with my new found knowledge of the Bezzera 4 hole tip and its " how to technique" that Chris at Barazi taught me

Have to admit it works :o and works very well, its effortless getting milk to foam
    I am a happy with the results so far

However I may be leaving it steam a little to long because my foam is a little stiff (just past easy pour stage)
    A little more practice and a little trial and error is still needed to perfect it (at least no more flat white)
    KK

Well,

Thanks to those who persisted in getting me to continue with the 4 hole tip..... Ive cracked it. * It does take more in the fine motor skill department, but its not as difficult as I thought. * *Where I was going askew, was that I was leaving it in too long, scalding the milk and at the same time creating meringue.....nice for pavlova, but useless in coffee. * Man, this thing steams fast!

Again,
    Thanks to all.

b4b.

Ive got a 4 hole tip on my Domus and it makes great milk effortlessly

These steam wands are designed to take the guess work out of heating milk by pushing the steam from the top to the bottom of the milk jug, then expanding it along the sides, to build a whirlpool motion as it circles back up again, bursting the bubbles on the surface to produce a beautifully smooth and creamy milk with micro bubbles

I get best results from half filling the milk jug (whatever size you are using), and then plunging the steam wand just below the surface in the center of the jug, and allowing the whirlpool motion to naturally take place by relaxing my wrists completely, letting the pressure of the steam determine the (minimal) movement of the milkk jug

Depending upon what milk you are using (and its worth experimenting with a few as some make crap milk no matter what you do!), you may want to move the steamwand to the side of the milk jug towards the end of the heating process to further assists bursting any remaining milk bubbles on the surface

I try and keep both my milk jug and steam wand completely upright, and expand my milk by 30 per cent volume, switching off the steam when the jug starts to get too hot to hold (about 55C?) - bearing in mind that the milk will continue to heat in the jug even after the steam has been switched off

Also - if the steam pressure is too strong try only turning the steam on marginally, instead off all the way, for a more manageable result

Cheers,

Pat

Have found that the Coffee Parts 2 hole tip Part # 633429 fits the wand of the Domus Galatea FYI.

Cheers,
    b4b.

I am now an accomplished Bazzera 4 hole tip user

It is so easy and quick to heat and microfoam milk that it is now my prefered way/\/

Edit: Also Askthecoffeeguy (pat)
    Your technique works a treat

KK