Thread: Saving the pennies for an Expobar Office Leva

Saving the pennies for an Expobar Office Leva

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just seen one of these in action. A god shot almost every time and latte art to die for.

If I can wait just a couple months more I can get a machine that will be serve as a preventative measure against upgraditis!

Expobar Office Leva machine + Cunill Tranquilio grinder (or shall we say, just the Expobar Office Leva machine... ;)) is on my list of the things to get as soon as the money is good. Im going to get the grinder soon, probably within a month, then Ill get the machine at the end of the year.

I figure I can just use my good old plunger for the time being, the Cunill grinder will do a fantastic job, Ive seen these grinders before, a friend who runs a computer shop locally has this grinder and he uses it with an old commercial espresso machine that he bought and repaired, that grinder did a wonderful job with his machine.

I think the combo for the Expobar and the Cunill grinder would be around $2300 (actually, $1900 ;D). So Im sure it should be well within my budget at the end of the year. I could get the grinder today ;) as one is available at my local coffee shop but not sure if its 2nd hand or new ::), Id have to check it out ;D.

Ben

Re: Saving the pennies for an Expobar Office Leva

Dont forget!

God shots and latte art has a lot to do with the barista as well. All machines can produce a god shot and latte art. Its just a matter of whether the barista can do it or not.

Good call Ben.

I have a Macap and the Expobar Leva.

I had a friend over last night after dinner and hed been saying he likes his coffee weak.
    Theres been a discussion in another thread recently about what this really means.
    I suggested to him it was because hed previously experineced bad, bitter coffee.

I asked him to let me make him a coffee my way and to judge it with an open mind.

I made him a double shot cappuccino (he prefers capps).

By the way, he usually takes 4, (yes, 4) sugars.

I asked him to try it first before adding any sugar.

His first remark after the initial taste, was that he could drink it without sugar, but old habits are hard to break and he added sugar before drinking the rest.

He only added 1!

Ive know him for over 30 years and hes always taken a lot of sugar in his coffee.
    Last night was a first.

Goes to show what good coffee is to be had from fresh beans, a great grinder and a good machine.

Get your grinder first, good decision.
    Save up fast for the Expobar, youll love it.

OR, talk to the site sponsors and work out a deal on a grinder and machine package and see if you can budget for both at once but sooner than the end of the year.

Depends on how long you can wait.

I honestly couldnt believe how good serious espresso tasted like when I tasted a double shot out of this machine.

I didnt care about the industrial look of the machine or the ugly black feet. The only thing that I was taking notice of was how great the coffee was.

First he flushed the machine, then he waited about 20 seconds, flushed it again, filled the portafilter with fresh ground Don Adan blend, tamped it, whacked it in, and pulled the lever. Viola. The shot timed perfectly, and at first all I could see was what looked like liquid chocolate very slowly filling the bottom, and it became more orange and golden. Not a hint of blonding. The shotglass was a bodum, and was crystal clear with double walls so that I wouldnt burn my fingers.

The gradient from a rich gold to a dark chocolate looked almost surreal.

And then I took a sip. All I could say was...wow. For years Ive had to taste stale or bitter espresso. So this was something of a revelation.

He then pulled off a latte, and the art that he could pull off was stunning. Just a typical rosetta but the microfoam was so fine it was almost like cream. I must say the caffeine rush was a bit much. Equivalent to 2 double shots. I had trouble sleeping last night, but all was well this morning.

I cant look back now that Ive experienced what proper espressos and lattes taste like.

With any luck, I may be able to get it in October-November, but no earlier as I need to get some other stuff sorted out. But I will have to say its definately on my short list. Just not sure if the Cunill grinder is up to the task, I think it should be, but was wondering if anyone else had experience with that grinder. I know this grinder works well, but how well?

Note: I was being sarcastic in a funny way about the grinder in my previous post, I should have noted that earlier but in the spirit of the moment I hit the post button. I actually received the grinder, along with some other stuff, as a gift from a friend who recently bought himself a high end conical grinder :)

So, the nearest coffee shop happens to be an old time friend who now uses what is arguably one of the best grinders around, its a Robur! And the Cunill grinder? Its brand new...of course ;D ::) Uhhmmm, well, it works like new anyway ;)

My friend always served me up with cappuccinos where were simply divine, he uses a LaScala butterfly which is really good, a bit like the Expobar, but Ive never actually tried a straight espresso shot from his rig. I should ask him to pull an espresso from the Robur. I couldnt imagine anything tasting better than something fresh out of a Robur and a LaScala butterfly!

Ben

My friend advised me to spend more on the grinder than the machine...hmmmm. ouch!

Now the Robur is one fine grinder...no doubt about it...if only I had the cash ;)

Just called him, Ill get a taste of the Robur on monday evening. Looking oh so very forward to tasting another God shot :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamind link=1210973467/0#4 date=1211019422
    My friend advised me to spend more on the grinder than the machine...hmmmm. ouch!
    Now the Robur is one fine grinder...no doubt about it...if only I had the cash ;)
    Just to clarify, the grinder is definitely the more important part of the equation, but that doent mean that you have to spend more on it than the machine. You can get some fine grinders for way less than a decent machine will cost you, depending on how severe your upgraditis is though *;)

The Cunill should do just fine, at least for the next few years. When funds permit I may jump for a Robur, but that will be a fair way off.

Ben