Thread: domobar super "pre-  infusion"

domobar super "pre-  infusion"

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Making some great shots with my superlever, but I am wondering about the "pre-infusion position" (first position) on the switch - it does nothing - zilch - zero....I presume it just puts you into position to lift up slightly for pre infusion - as you move the lever up from the middle position the water does start to flow before the cam operates the pump. From what I have read some E61 machines the valves actually open in the first position without lifting up further - does my machine need adjustment or is it the way it is supposed to be
    Looking at the manual it seems to indicate the position does nothing then says leave it in this position for pre infusion
    "When the lever is lifted just past the first click stop the passive pre-infusion

begins. This allows a slight flow of water onto the coffee. This gentle flow of water

wets the puck slightly which helps with extraction and can also help eliminate

channeling (disruption of the coffee causing a fast flow). If is not necessary to

use this position, but leaving it in this mode for about two or three seconds can

be useful.

Lifting the lever to its full up position

(shown in the photo to the left) closes the

3-way valve and open the brewing path between

the heat exchanger and the coffee.

At the same time, the cam to which the

lever is attached depresses the switch on the

front of the Domobar Super, just to the right

of the E-61 grouphead, behind the cam. This

switch activates the pump.

Thanks for any assistance with my question :-/

TC

Re: domobar super "pre- *infusion"

Hi Bigfly,

Have a read of http://www.home-barista.com/forums/is-there-purpose-for-e61-middle-brew-lever-position-t3643.html

Hope it helps!

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210989556/0#1 date=1210989884
    Hi Bigfly,

Have a read of http://www.home-barista.com/forums/is-there-purpose-for-e61-middle-brew-lever-position-t3643.html

Hope it helps!

2mcm
    Thanks Chris, I have already read that link, but I find it confusing, can you answer yes or no ?, should it do something on the domobar or does my machine require adjustment so it does. (apart from helping soak the head on a backflush) does it only really work on a line pressured machine?? Ta :-?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly link=1210989556/0#2 date=1210993807
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210989556/0#1 date=1210989884
    Hi Bigfly,

Hope it helps!

2mcm
    Thanks Chris, I have already read that link, but I find it confusing, can you answer yes or no ?, should it do something on the domobar or does my machine require adjustment so it does. (apart from helping soak the head on a backflush) does it only really work on a line pressured machine?? Ta * *:-?
    You will get a little wetting of the pump if you raise the lever far enough without activating the pump. In a plumbed machine, with +ve pressure this is more effective.

Your machine has an in-built preinfusion in that it ramps to 9.0 gradually after holding around 3-4 bar for a little while upon lifting the lever.

regards

Chris

Thanks for clarifying Chris , thats pretty much what I was getting at , (PS: thanks again for your after sales advice) , everything coming along nicely, many good shots , initially weighed my doses from the mazzer to get around the right dose, now Im getting a fairly consistent, grind, dose, tamp going, finding steaming a breeze without any mods..... :)

Re: domobar super "pre-  infusion"

A couple of weeks ago, I tried experimenting with lifting the lever to the first position for 3 seconds then all the way up like what you said.

What happened was when the pump was activated, there were intervals where the pump would stop for a second then on again. This went on for 3 times i think before the pressure shot up and the espresso started flowing.

Didnt seem like a "pre-infusion" to me so I never did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210989556/0#5 date=1210999217
    A couple of weeks ago, I tried experimenting with lifting the lever to the first position for 3 seconds then all the way up like what you said.

What happened was when the pump was activated, there were intervals where the pump would stop for a second then on again. This went on for 3 times i think before the pressure shot up and the espresso started flowing.

Didnt seem like a "pre-infusion" to me so I never did it again.
    Thanks Gavin, Chris