Thread: Upgrading from Silvia

Upgrading from Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Silvia has died again :( *Im surprised she wasnt up to the task of caffinating me and my co-workers - around 20 cups a day? * Everyone is pretty well drilled not to leave the steamer on, keep the tank full and she was on a timer to ensure she didnt stay on over night. *But this is the 3rd time in as many years, that well need to get parts replaced. *

Do you think well be better off with a HX E61 type machine? *We are probably talking about 20 to 30 cups a day.

Im thinking that well upgrade (in no particular order) to either:
    • Isomac Millenium
    • ECM Giotto
    • Diamond Italia
    • La Scala Butterfly

Any one got any advice?

Re: Upgrading from Silvia

Welcome Julio!

Maybe add to that the Expobar Leva.

What is you budget? And what grinder are you pairing it with?

YeeZa

Julio

Doing some quick calculations the coffee the office drinks is 6260 cups per year!!!!!
    That is a small and profitable commercial output.
    So at *discounted rate @ $2 per cup The value is $12,000 pa.

I think really you should be looking at a small commercial ECM or the like!
    Your Silvia has done an amazing job if you add it up - About 15 years domestic!!!

Just some thoughts in defense of silvia and any HX machine you might buy.

Good luck
    David

Thanks! I will look at the the Exobar Lever too.

We have a no-name conical burr grinder with no doser - I think it was about $150. It too will be upgraded - if for no other reason it is incredibly noisey!

Budget wise - l reckon $2,000 to $2,500 for a machine. $400 to 500 for a grinder?

Go $700+ for a grinder.
    Youll find plenty of machines in the $2,000 to $2,500 range.
    I have an Expobar - its a solid beast.

Julio,

You could look at the grinder Chris has for sale - Macap MC4 Chrome - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211762276

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1211847123/0#2 date=1211849051
    Julio

Doing some quick calculations the coffee the office drinks is 6260 cups per year!!!!!

Thats how much my machine does. At home!

Thats probably a bit more than little Miss Silvia was designed for, with her 300ml boiler (particularly if steaming milk all the time as well as pulling shots). Not that she isnt a well built little girl.

A HX would probably sail through that workload a lot easier (although still require servicing at intervals).

What about another piece of gear Chris has for sale:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1207993663

I cant believe its still for sale. Mind you, it would probably look better on a kitchen bench than in a work place (Im looking at a spot on my kitchen bench itd look great! ;D ;D :-/).

Julio,

Where abouts are you located? It could be a good idea to check out some of the options first hand and have a play. With a budget of that, theres a lot to choose from.

YeeZa

Julio
    (Copied as I dont know how it is done in a coloured box! )
    "Silvia has died again * Im surprised she wasnt up to the task of caffinating me and my co-workers - around 20 cups a day? * Everyone is pretty well drilled not to leave the steamer on, keep the tank full and she was on a timer to ensure she didnt stay on over night. *But this is the 3rd time in as many years, that well need to get parts replaced. "

It would be very helpful indeed *if you could let us know which parts you had to replace.
    e.g was it two boilers, two 3way valve, two pump, all of them or a different part each time.
    What it the same part this time?
    This is very important info re Silvias reliability all things being equal of course. *
    I hope you will reply

David

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1211847123/0#9 date=1212019915
    Julio
    "Silvia has died again * Im surprised she wasnt up to the task of caffinating me and my co-workers - around 20 cups a day? * Everyone is pretty well drilled not to leave the steamer on, keep the tank full and she was on a timer to ensure she didnt stay on over night. *But this is the 3rd time in as many years, that well need to get parts replaced. "

It would be very helpful indeed *if you could let us know which parts you had to replace.
    e.g was it two boilers, two 3way valve, two pump, all of them or a different part each time.
    This is very important info re Silvias reliability all things being equal of course. *
    I hope you will reply

David
    Hi David,

I met with Julio earlier in the week- 3 cooked elements and in each case, the steam control was accidentally left on.

Its a clear message that this type of machine is not well suited to the office environment. Corner cutting ultimately leads to tears, poor reliability and expense.

In this case, the total cost of repairs is a large proportion of the price gap to a suitable HX machine....Money wasted IMHO....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1211847123/0#10 date=1212020793

I met with Julio earlier in the week- 3 cooked elements and in each case, the steam control was accidentally left on.

Its a clear message that this type of machine is not well suited to the office environment.
    Chris
    Yep, it is neigh on impossible to get others to "care" about a machine as a regular user does.....

They wont have the time, dont understand how to use it - or just plain "dont care"...... and wont do the right thing to ensure the machine has the lifespan it should!

Spending more dollars on a machine with more safety features (NO - I dont mean a superautomatic necessarily).... will save money (and frustration) in an office environment.

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1211847123/0#9 date=1212019915
    Julio
    "Silvia has died again Im surprised she wasnt up to the task of caffinating me and my co-workers - around 20 cups a day? Everyone is pretty well drilled not to leave the steamer on, keep the tank full and she was on a timer to ensure she didnt stay on over night. But this is the 3rd time in as many years, that well need to get parts replaced. "

It would be very helpful indeed if you could let us know which parts you had to replace.
    This is very important info re Silvias reliability all things being equal of course.
    I hope you will reply

David
    Hey David, when replying and using a quote from a previous post - instead of hitting the "Reply" box, hit the "Quote" box (in the top right corner of the post you want highlighted). ;)

Originally took me a few months to latch onto that one too :-[.

3 cooked elements! Yeah, the single boiler machines are 1 man (or woman ::)) units - you cant trust others to look after it the way you would. Especially switching off the steam and refilling the boiler - so important!

Greg