Thread: Anywhere to Demo Brewtus and Domobar

Anywhere to Demo Brewtus and Domobar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    In the Illawarra/ South sydney?

I actually live in Kiama but will travel a bit to see these machines in action.

I am deciding on which one of these machines to buy. From what i have seen it seems that the Domobar wins for looks and that the Expobar wins for its adjustability. I am some one who likes to play around with stuff. My main drink is short black, however, I still reguarly(daily) enjoy a latte with my wife.

Opinions/comments welcome...

Thanks

David

Re: Anywhere to Demo Brewtus and Domobar

Gday David,

If youre heading up to Sydney, hit up Di Bartoli <---- in Bondi Junction. You can test all the machines mentioned above and more. Thats where I ended up getting my Brewtus/Minore II. Like you, I love playing around with things hence my choice. Its a great machine for me and I dont regret it one bit... The VBM DS was on my list also, behind the Isomac Mondiale. They have these, also the Giotto, Bezzera to give a go too also in that class. I had a similar list to you for those reasons. Instead I had the Mondiale for looks, Expobar for external tweakability, and the VBM in between. Choices, choices. Let us know how you go, and if youve got any questions, just shoot!

YeeZa

Quote Originally Posted by Sink cut link=1211980043/0#0 date=1211980043
    ... the Domobar wins for looks
    Agreed!

Whats to play with?
    Ive got the VBM. The boiler pressure strays from 0.9 to 1.1 and that pulls fantastic coffee. The adjustment can be made easily if you wanted to.
    I think the biggest 2 variables I am finding are grind and tamp pressure - I seem to have figured out the dose correctly and consistently so I wont be changing that.
    I know nothing of the other machine you mention so do not know what else you would want to adjust / fiddle with.
    Changes I would make? Well, Ive had the VBM just over a week now. Initially the steam was mind blowing so I got a toothpick and blocked the back hole for a few days but went back to 2 holes and control the tap better.
    This morning I made the nicest coffee I have ever tasted in Tasmania. Period.
    I even got "real" microfoam and took some photos, will add them to my other thread when I get to it.
    So I must be doing something right with the steam anyhow.

quote....Whats to play with?

I enjoy playing with different brew temp for different beans... I know you can adjust the pressure stat on VBM which will indirectly change the brew temp but it think the expobar will give me much more direct brew temp control.
    Also have had some fun trying taste effects of different brew pressure on my friends silvia.... I know you can also adjust this on the Domobar but it seems like the expobar is actually made for users to play with these things

Quote Originally Posted by Sink cut link=1211980043/0#3 date=1212049952
    quote....Whats to play with?

I enjoy playing with different brew temp for different beans... I know you can adjust the pressure stat on VBM which will indirectly change the brew temp but it think the expobar will give me much more direct brew temp control.
    Also have had some fun trying taste effects of different brew pressure on my friends silvia.... I know you can also adjust this on the Domobar but it seems like the expobar is actually made for users to play with these things
    Yeah, brew pressure on the Minore is adjustable without popping the hood. Admittedly I rarely touch it. Ive only tweaked it when I first got it (its factory set at 12 bar), and then again not long ago once everything had seated properly. It was good to be able to easily do it though.

I change blends/origins fairly often and its fun playing around with the temps. Its amazing the different qualities you get out of the same bean. I still dont have a very developed palate, but I like the fact that this machine has the option, of expanding my horizons.

The best thing though is to try them out. I dont want to sway you too much. Di Bartolis is the goods if you wanna play. Theyre very happy for you to muck around with all the machines there.

YeeZa

Site Sponsor

I tend to agree with Sink cut. The fundamental difference between the 2 lies within their different technologies. The VBM, for its exceptional boiler size, is as stable in its brewing temperature as a HX machine can be. However. it will require some cool flushing, and brewing control would always remain a bit of a riddle. Now, if you dont like much the mystery, you d like to further develop your palate and experience with difference beans, a twin boiler technology that the Minore 2 (Brewtus) has, would be the way to go.

The good thing is, that we do have both available to play with (and few more others.. ) on our bench. During operation, you will notice even more differences, like the different steam arm, the knobs, and the overall look. Well be very happy highlighting all those for you, and together with your expected coffee scenario and palate education, we can help you to find the right one for you and your wife. Hope to see you in our store!

Renzo / Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre