Thread: Your experience with a Elektra Microcasa Leva?

Ash

Your experience with a Elektra Microcasa Leva?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys.

Upgraditis is starting to bite me after using my Silvia for the last 18 months to 2 years or so. Ive been looking around at the usual suspects (ECM, Expobar, Vibiemme etc.) and I came across this beauty. Has any one used this? If so, whats it like? Ive read the coffeegeek review of it but was wondering if there are any local users of this machine who could share their experiences.

Cheers,
    Ash

Re: Your experience with a Elektra Microcasa Leva?

I have it on good authority that the Australian Electra importer is only stocking the commercial machines for now.

Dont know if this will help
    However my wifes cousin in Newcastle has one and cant say a bad word about the Electra
    She got it before the importer stoped importing the home machines 3 years ago.

KK

Hmmm,

Dunno about that KK..... A quick search revealed that a wide selection of Elektra espresso machines are available here, if that is specifically what "Ash" is looking for.....

Mal.

Indeed, there is not just one importer. In fact, Elektra was looking around a year or so ago to find an alternative distributor for its domestic machines. I got my semi from - wait for it - a piano shop in Melbourne. They were looking to expand their product range and, hey, theres not that much difference between a piano and an espresso machine... is there...? Their service was first rate, and I got it for a lot less than it was being offered elsewhere. Dont know if theyre still in business.

Im not aware of a site sponsor selling them, though. Anyone?

matt

You could be right Dolcimelo Electra could be looking for another distributor for domestic machines or they already have one as Mal has suggested product is available

It was just 2 months ago I spoke to Electra Australia to enquire about a home machine to purchase and they said we only import the commercial units so I went and got a Bezzera instead

So I apoligise if I have misled the forum

KK

Yes KK, you should resign at once!

To be honest, I havent the faintest idea about the distribution arrangements. I was under the impression that M***a Coffee were the sole distributors, but Greg from the aforementioned piano shop told me Elektra were unhappy with the arrangement and were looking for someone else to take it on. Its probably more complicated than this. In the end, he got the machine direct from Elektra, bypassing MC, and for much less. I was happy, he was happy, dunno about Elektra. Also dont know what happened about the agents arrangement, but if MC are no longer importing them, are the other retailers getting them from Elektra in Italy or someone else?

matt

Dolcimelo
    M***a has split in to 2 companies the second is Electra Aust still in the same family hands my wifes cousin knows the owners

Come to think of it when I lived in Newcastle I knew 2 of the owners as well, however it was over 25 years ago

All I know is there were problems getting regular stock shipments from the factory in Italy
    But as with all things of this nature one never knows the whole story

KK

Well, I doubt it was ever possible to get regular stock shipments from Italy... But, then, I doubt it was ever necessary, given the demand (Im only talking about domestic machines). The website still shows the domestic machines, but its impossible to know when it was last updated. I notice theyre now in Bexley, so I might pop over and have a squiz. Even a year ago, it surprised me that it was possible to get the machine direct from Italy, and cheaper than MC. But then, it was always possible to get the leva elsewhere, too, usually at grossly inflated prices compared to Europe. The (very pleasant) owner of MC offered once to sell me a scratched up second hand leva for 1.5 times what I could get it for new from the UK. It wouldnt surprise me if they just couldnt shift them.

None of this is much use to Ash, though. Im afraid Ive never used a leva, but Ive only ever read good things about them. You probably already know that they run hot after a couple of coffees, like any of this type of machine, but make superlative coffee. The boiler is the same size as the semi, and the steam wand identical. Also the most beautiful lever machine in its class Ive ever seen. If you can find one for a decent price, buy it!

matt

I have one. Dont restrict your search to Australian distributors - I looked for weeks and the only place I found was in Melbourne and they quoted a 2 or 3 week delivery at a price of about $2300. I then decided for the hell of it to look at overseas online stores - for a grand total of $1400 I got one imported from a store based in Italy. It arrived the following week and they paid the import costs for me.

It was cheaper and quicker for me to get a Micro Casa Leva from Italy than it was to get one from Melbourne.

Theyre great machines, simple and artful. So long as you dont have to make more than a couple of coffees at a time, theyre fantastic. They can be very picky about their grind and arent great to use if you want to dial in a coffee.

Indraunt whats your situation now regarding warranty?

Ash

Picky about the grind eh? Do you think that my Rocky would be able to grind well enough for it or should I look at upgrading that as well? Also, any dramas with different electrical connections? From what Ive read I can get it ready to go with 240V so it would be down to getting the right plug for over here, correct? :-?

After doing a quick search for Australian retailers of it over the last week or so Ive found, as you guys have mentioned, that getting one should prove interesting! The beauty of the net though is that I can search internationally and from what Ive seen I can get them OS probably easier than from Oz ( Im probably looking at the same site you did Indraunt).

Thanks for the info so far guys. 8-)

Ash

Honestly, I wouldnt have a clue - my invoice is stashed away in a box somewhere, but largely I suspect most service by the store would be impractical.

Dont know if this will help but theres some guys in Sydney who seem to have got the elusive Elektra contract! From their website they appear to have most of the machines available - even home ones including the Microcasa Leva that Ash is asking for.
    Dont know if I can mention their name here.....its Espresso Workshop
    They seem to be offering a 12mth warranty which Indraunt didnt get from Italy - thats got to be worth it!!
    Hope that helps!

I just had a look at their website to see where they were because there used to be a distributor not to far from me.

This is a different one.

The strange thing is that on their contact page it says to email Ash at espresso workshop* :o

Ash

:-? :-? :-? I assure you that this Ash is not that Ash! :) Besides, I live in Townsville, and the commute to Sydney each day would be a killer...

Thanks to those who helped out with what info they had available, very much appreciated. After doing some research about what was available in lever machines, and after sitting down and actually writing down what I wanted from my new machine, I have settled on another entirely. Ive gone for a La Pavoni Stradavari instead. And a PID kit for the Silvia as well, just to tide me over until upgraditis hits again *8-)

Thanks again for your help guys. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]