Thread: Newbies choices - need help to narrow the field

Newbies choices - need help to narrow the field

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After reading the forums and hunting around the internet I finally have narrowed our choice down to the following. Chris from coffee talk has already advised me (in another thread) to go for a better grinder than the rocky. Weve tried to work out a budget a couple of times., now at $2,500+

My preference is the Elletronica but might have a struggle with our budget. My wife just wants a machine NOW PLEASE :) and me to stop procrastinating or she will buy one from DJs

Which do you think is the right way to go?

better coffee machine - cheaper ginder - upgrade the grinder when possible
    better grinder - cheaper coffee machine - upgrade the coffee machine when possible

Diadema Unico Splendor
    Diadema Junior Plus semi automatic
    Giotto
    Diadema Junior Ellettronica

Rocky Grinder - doserless
    Mecap M4
    ECA KS doserless grinder

Pullman Tamper ???
    Grindenstein Knock Box or Icecream container?
    Thermometer - is it important
    Group Head Brush ???

Expected drinking habits

Espresso 50%
    Café Latte 20%
    Cappuccino 20%
    Long Black 10%

Any critics corrections/advice welcome

Re: Newbies choices - need help to narrow the fiel

Greenmanor....

The quality of the grinder will have far more impact on the espresso quality than the machine (providing that the machine is adequate of course..... not a $99 evilbay "special")..... so Id definitely look at a quality grinder - the best you can afford!

A quality grinder with freshly roasted beans and a reasonable machine can make great coffee.....
    A Synesso and a poor quality grinder will make cr@p coffee.....

The order of importance as rated by the Italian espresso masters is...

Barista skills
    Fresh quality beans
    Quality grinder
    Machine.....

And the machine is the last on the list!

If youre going to drink that much espresso, I think that you really need a good quality grinder with stepless adjustment. You might not see the advantage of stepless adjustment initially, but you will come to wonder why people ever made them with steps to start off with. The Compak K3 touch is quite good value.

Knock boxes are very convenient and worthwhile having. The grindenstein is very good if you only make a few coffees a day, empty it regularly and like to run it through the dishwasher. From memory, I think that its good to hold about five or six pucks. You can always build your own.

As long as your tamper is a relatively good fit and you tamp at a consistent pressure, you dont need to get too extravagant, but it is a lot more pleasant to have a tamper that fits your hand nicely. This is a lot more important when you are at the risk of RSI from making lots of coffees in a row than when you only make one or two at home.

A milk thermometer is worthwhile having; theyre pretty cheap. Id get a 300 to 400mL jug for doing a single milk-based drink, too.

Definitely get a group head brush, a few microfibre cloths and a bucketload of cafetto. Cafetto have a keenly priced little kit that has a 1/2kg of detergent, a cheap group brush and a steam wand cloth in it for about $35. They also have a kit under their domestic name, "cino cleano," that includes a whole bunch of different cleaners, a grindenstein knockbox, a 600mL jug and some other stuff for something like $120. Might be worthwhile checking it out. Most people who sell machines will sell cafetto stuff.

Its probably worthwhile buying a few spare gaskets and steam wand O-rings when you buy your machine so that you dont have to muck around ordering them when they need replacing.

As for the actual machine ... if youre not in a position to try them with the experience to appreciate the differences between the machines, all that you can really do is to trust someones recommendations. I dont think that theres really anything on the spec sheets that gives you much of an insight into how they perform.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Luca

TC

Hi Greenmanor,

My advice:
    [*]Best grinder possible- so from your choices Macap M4/Mazzer mini[*]Go for a great lever machine rather than the complexity and long term expense should anything die in a volumetric touchpad machine. Ideally, youd be watching the pour for signs of blonding anyway? ;)

Budgetwise, have a look at our June specials. You will be within budget on a Makin (which should definitely be short listed) and Mazzer/Macap combo and the $3k vicinity will give you choice of Giotto/Splendor/Semi-auto and some of the other machines you mentioned.

You then need only to add any items you require (all at 20% off from):[*]Tamper- our new Rattleware one is excellent and not too expensive[*]Knock tube[*]Jug[*]Tamping mat

A brush, coffee, backwash detergent, blind filter and training notes are all in the box for you already. IMHO, the best coffee thermometer is on the end of your arm....

Hope this helps!

Chris

I am waiting on my new grinder a Macap M4D from Chris at Talk Coffee
    To compliment a great espresso machine in the Bezzera Domus Galatea

I suggest that your budget will accomodate both a good machine and a good grinder

Just ask Chris to match a good combination for you

Get the other bits later

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1212910075/0#4 date=1212922945
    I am waiting on my new grinder a Macap M4D from Chris at Talk Coffee

KK

I assume the D stands for doserless or dosered and not something else I need to be aware of :-?

Thanks for the advice I read a review comparing the Macap and Mazer ( think ill just now flip a coin)

Does anybody know why the machines appear to be cheaper in Sydney. My Brother In Law was quoted 1.9k for the Splendor. (on the internet it looks identical) Even on special down here the machines seem to be a few $100 dearer.

I appreciate that we are more cultured this side of the border ;D and have better footy ::)

btw Chris I was heading down your way on Friday. It was a spur of the moment thing after a funeral and my better half was with me. Unfortunately when we rang directories they didnt have a listing for talk coffee in Abbotsford. :(

I believe it stands for doserless
    And digital electronic

And this grinder is both

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by greenmanor link=1212910075/0#5 date=1212926538
    Thanks for the advice I read a review comparing the Macap and Mazer ( think ill just now flip a coin)

Does anybody know why the machines appear to be cheaper in Sydney. My Brother In Law was quoted 1.9k for the Splendor. (on the internet it looks identical) Even on special down here the machines seem to be a few $100 dearer.
    Hi GM,

The reason why the dodgybay splendor is cheaper is that it is the model that was superseeded over 2 years ago- so youre comparing apples with oranges.

The major difference between that model and the Unico Splendor Maxi is that the new Maxi model has ball-jointed steam and hot water wands- which in an espresso machine for me is an absolute not negotiable.

Whether the dodgybay seller can service it is questionable and who knows whether youd get any after sales support. The quality of the coffee they give away with it makes me suspect they know and care little about anything other than selling boxes. I guess it comes down to what level of service and support you require. Perhaps you might like the machine bench tested and calibrated??

As for pricing, you will find that our pricing is highly competitive and will most likely offer you a better deal than you will find elsewhere.

We choose not to be listed as we operate as a consultancy, not as a shop where you can just turn up. Its about sitting down with you at the showroom, discussing your needs, recommending some machines and giving you information which is not available in specification sheets- and saves you from making poor decisions- like purchasing the wrong model Unico Splendor *:-?. This happens by appointment ;)

OK so I assume there is a different one - Digital

This is the one I read the review on

TC

Quote Originally Posted by greenmanor link=1212910075/0#8 date=1212928238
    OK so I assume there is a different one - Digital

This is the one I read the review on

M5 v M4 = large v smaller hopper
    MC4 = Doserless manual deli grinder
    M4/M5 = Doser manual grinder (similar to Mazzer mini manual)
    M4D/M5D = Doserless digital (electronic) grinder (similar but way better than the Mazzer mini-manual)

Just a quick cut and paste about this grinder
    Plus what Chris has said above

Macap Electronic
    This hugely impressive grinder is the flagship of the Macap semi-professional range.

With stepped or micrometric adjustment, grind time is adjustable in 1/10th second increments.

Simply set your grind and then grind your preferred single or double dose of coffee. The grinder will display elapsed time which can then be programmed.

For the convenience of set and forget, no grinder comes close to the Macap Electronic.

Hope that helps but in my opinion this grinder is the greatest and should be the last grinder I will buy. (sorry Chris)
    KK

last? oh no no no....theres never a last!

Unless you buy them all!!! :D

Hi all
    With all the talk on grinders here Im following this thread closely as Im also looking to move up from a Silvia in a month or so. I have a Silvia + Rocky at present and am researching a Galatea, Diadema, Makin, Expobar Brewtus, a Giotto or a Domobar. I havent yet decided whether to get another grinder (Mazzer Mini or Macap M4?) or stick with the rocky for a while.

Ill probably take a day off work to call into Di Bartoli next week :-)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1212910075/0#12 date=1213009016
    Hi all
    With all the talk on grinders here Im following this thread closely as Im also looking to move up from a Silvia in a month or so. I have a Silvia + Rocky at present and am researching a Galatea, Diadema, Makin, Expobar Brewtus, a Giotto or a Domobar. I havent yet decided whether to get another grinder (Mazzer Mini or Macap M4?) or stick with the rocky for a while.

Ill probably take a day off work to call into Di Bartoli next week :-)

Mike
    Cant go wrong with the Bezzera Galatea there is a few owners of this beautiful machine on this forum (man this machine makes the art of coffee making easy)

I have decided on the best grinder to match the Galatea is the Macap M4D electronic for home use and should also suit the other machines you are looking at.
    I suggest that you put it through its passes when you visit Di Bartoli if they have one

Judge it on grind consistency and accuracy of grind by weight,
    That equals to repeatable results with no waste and associated mess.
    Also saves you ca$h & beans because you are not disposing the access grinds

P.S. The wife factor is also addressed with just enough bling

KK

down to a

giotto or splendor

macap m4 grider

need to stock up on panadol for the headaches Ill get for the number of cooffees Ill be drinking to justify the expense.

competition is the Jura (convenience over pleasure) :(

Am going down to first pour tomorrow to taste some real coffee.

Anybody know any coffee shops around glen waverley which you would recommend to try.

Im really looking forward to nice coffee after 12 months of having no taste buds. (chemo, just ruins the flavour of everything)

Thanks for all the advice so far

Hi greenmanor

I really hope youve contacted Chris at Talk Coffee so you can do aa side-by-side comparison. If not, do it before you buy from anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmanor link=1212910075/0#14 date=1213338495

Anybody know any coffee shops around glen waverley which you would recommend to try.
    Nah... but I know a coffeesnob in the area.

You could drop in for a hit from the Expobar if you were feeling adventurous!

Actually, the cafe in the Kingsway (Smokin Joes?) wasnt bad for a flat white with breakfast, but nothing special.

Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1212910075/15#15 date=1213338951
    Hi greenmanor

I really hope youve contacted Chris at Talk Coffee so you can do aa side-by-side comparison. If not, do it before you buy from anyone else!

unfortunately havent as yet but will try to. just not too sure what days he works. will email him. Im at home every day but the trouble and strife works full time.

Hi Brett

I would enjoy that, just let me know the time and place.

Regards
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by greenmanor link=1212910075/15#17 date=1213350665

<snip> unfortunately havent as yet but will try to. just not too sure what days he works. will email him. Im at home every day but the trouble and strife works full time.

Regards
    Kim
    Uhm, can tell you might be a recent member Kim...Chris has a reputation of wearing his laptop round his neck...and Im sure he sleeps with his mobile within reach and has an espresso set-up on his bedside table. *;D

Hi Dennis have emailed Chris and expect I will hear from him soon him soon.

Looking forward to ordering some of your coffee

Hi again Greenmanor

Glad to see that the field has narrowed
    Cant go wrong with you choice
    If getting a Giotto make sure you consider the thermostability modification

Nah you wont need a pain killer as you dont get headaches in coffee heaven

KK

P.S. I have called him on several occasions regarding M4D grinder update and he is always available