Thread: LaPavoni Pub 2 Group , help with pour

LaPavoni Pub 2 Group , help with pour

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    New at this, after a few years with a Sunbeam Crema, saved up the dollars and have bought a LaPavoni Pub E (I think) 2 Group Compact. Bought second hand. Not sure how old it is, so far really disappointed with the results. Hoping someone kind soul on here can give me a few hints. I had intended to buy a commercial grinder but am using my domestic delonghi, have it on the finest grind and the crema is very light on and timing with the grind is all over the place. Is the grinder the problem?. How does the finest grind on a domestic compare with something ground on a commercial?.

Does anyone have one of these machines and what is the experience youve had. The person I bought it from programmed the settings. The instruction manual for this model is a bit light on with info. I get better pours out of my domestic. Also need to practise the milk steaming, its so powerful compared with the Sunbeam.

Re: LaPavoni Pub 2 Group , help with pour

Quote Originally Posted by island girl link=1214037276/0#0 date=1214037276
    I had intended to buy a commercial grinder but am using my domestic delonghi, have it on the finest grind and the crema is very light on and timing with the grind is all over the place. Is the grinder the problem?. How does the finest grind on a domestic compare with something ground on a commercial?.
    Hi island girl and welcome to coffee snobs.

Yep your grinder is the problem! A Delonghi isnt even a "domestic espresso grinder" IMHO - the grind size is too coarse and even worse - is very variable in size. You will never get a decent espresso until you upgrade.... ideally to something like a Mazzer or a Macap..... but if the price of those scares you - then at least something like a Rocky.

The grinder is FAR more important than the machine.... and that becomes even more so with a commercial machine. Delonghi grinders are OK for plunger or domestic machines with pressurised baskets.... but useless with a decent domestic machine - let alone a commercial machine.

Thanks JavaB,

I will do some research on the grinders, have seen a couple of secondhand ones with new blades and burrs. Which way to go, I welcome all suggestions.

island girl,

If you can get a good second hand commercial grinder (even if it requires burr replacement)..... that will give you something that will last for years and years - and produce excellent quality grounds.

My last two grinders (a La Cimbali Jnr) and my current DRM conical/flat were both secondhand.... the Jnr was only sold to another CS member as the DRM is an unbelievable grinder (and I had to have it ;))..... you CAN really taste the difference in the cup (but it cost me over $600 - about $3000 new - and I had to fit new burrs as well)....

So Id check out the second hand commercials.