Thread: New Giotto= new Grinder

New Giotto= new Grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I took delivery of my new Rocket Giotto exactly one week ago. As you can imagine I couldnt wait to set it up and brew my first cup of espresso. I was keen to see whether the new machine would live up to my expectations and whether I had chosen wisely, after all, the Giotto is replacing my trusty Silvia which, has served me faultlessly for the last 5 years.

I began by loading the fresh aromatic coffee beans into my Rocky grinder which I have owned as long as my Silvia. When I turned on the grinder I found rather than grinding the beans it was shredding the beans into a very coarse grind. I tried adjusting the settings but found no change. I imagine that its time to once more change the Im hoping thats the only problem (im sure it is).

I figure that it is probably an opportune time to upgrade the grinder as well to complement the Giotto. I am very interested if to hear what others would recommend and use to compliment the Giotto.

BTW, I went to my local roaster the following day and purchased a bag of grounded beans to use in the meantime while servicing the Rocky.
    Finally I got to brew a cup of espresso from the Giotto. WOW! I couldnt believe what I was drinking. Never before Had I brewed such a good cup of espresso at home. So I tried it again and again.....Wow! Needless to say I was very impressed with the Giotto. One week on and Im waking up earlier in the morning to make myself a cup of coffee before work. This has proved to also be a great investment because no longer am I spending $2.40 a day to buy coffee on my way to work.

I now look forward to investing in a new grinder, Im sure it will take some time but I imagine that with further practice I will be able to continue to improve my results.

Id appreicate any thoughts and recommendatiosn on a new grinder . I image a price range between $700-1000

Thanks
    Vrasti

TC

Re: New Giotto= new Grinder

Hi Vrasti,

Hope the machine is all well!

My suggestions: Mazzer mini/Macap M4/Macap M4D

There is little between the mini and M4. The M4D is highly impressive although pricey but if you want doserless, blows a mini-e out of the park in my opinion...

Another alternative would be to fashion a stepless mod on your Rocky (for which you will have plenty of buyers if you choose to sell)...

regards

Chris

Vrasti

From your description it sounds like the rocky grinding plates are damaged or worn so instead of grinding the fragmented beans the plates are sort of rolling the bits. *I had this happen years ago on an oat grister. *Seem strange that it suddenly went faulty.

Does the bean holder wobble much in relation to the body of the rocky?

David

Quote Originally Posted by vrasti link=1214485305/0#0 date=1214485305
    Hi all

I took delivery of my new Rocket Giotto exactly one week ago. As you can imagine I couldnt wait to set it up and brew my first cup of espresso. I was keen to see whether the new machine would live up to my expectations and whether I had chosen wisely, after all, the Giotto is replacing my trusty Silvia which, has served me faultlessly for the last 5 years.

I figure that it is probably an opportune time to upgrade the grinder as well to complement the Giotto. I am very interested if to hear what others would recommend and use to compliment the Giotto.

Id appreicate any thoughts and recommendatiosn on a new grinder . I image a price range between $700-1000

Thanks
    Vrasti
    Like you, I upgraded from my trusty Silvia to the Rocket Giotto a few months ago. I also took the opportunity to invest in a better grinder and opted for a Macap M4D (doserless, micrometric). Although I probably dont have the cash to find out, I believe the combination is unbeatable and have been more than happy with the result :)

Ron

Like you, I upgraded from my trusty Silvia to the Rocket Giotto a few months ago. I also took the opportunity to invest in a better grinder and opted for a Macap M4D (doserless, micrometric). Although I probably dont have the cash to find out, I believe the combination is unbeatable and have been more than happy with the result

Ron
    Yep the Macap M4D is a fantastic grinder
    I also just purchased one from Chris at Talk Coffee and works well with the Bezzera Galatea
    I could not be happier with the combo

KK

Same combo here too. *Very happy.

Thank you all for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Chris, the machine is great, I couldnt be happier. I look forward to improving my technique to ensure I make the most of the machine. I will definitely look into the MD4 as well as consider the Rocky Mod. I will call you next week to discuss my option. thank you for all your assistance.

Vrasti

Your Rocky should be able to do quite a good job--improved by doing the teflon tape and rubber tubing mods.
    These wont help though if something serious has gone wrong, although that is a pretty big coincidence!
    Id be doing a thorough dismantle and clean and adjust while doing the mods, and checking the burrs at that time.
    If the burrs are gone, I understand they are relatively cheap to replace.
    On the other hand upgraditis is always a threat to your wallet!
    Greg

Thanks Greg

I picked up the Rocky today. The technician checked it out and said all it needed was to be set and adjusted, nothing wrong with the burrs.
    so that was good.

Just wondering what is involved in modifying the rocky and what will be the cost I can expect to pay.

Thanks
    Michael

The mods are a do-it-yourself job, with minimal cost.
    Here is what Ive done.

Materials--1 roll plumbers teflon tape, *enough high elasticity silicone rubber tubing (6 mm inside dia or so) to go around the upper burr carrier above the threads, and enough nylon string (or similar) to tie it in place.
    One large coffee bean.

Method--Unscrew the top burr carrier and place the rubber tubing around the top of the threads and tie in place. This provides a spring effect to push the carrier up in the threads and remove slop.
    Wind 2 or three layers of the teflon tape around the top threads. This further removes slop, and if you get the amount right, makes the adjustment quite firm.
    Put a large coffee bean on top of the adjustment release lever, wedged in place, to keep the lever pushed down. This makes Rocky stepless.

On my Rocky this removed the fines from the grind and increased the flavour of the coffee. It also makes adjusting for bean changes really easy.

Greg

Thanks Greg

It doesnt sound too expensive. I may roll up my sleaves and give it a go.

Vrasti