Thread: Guidance needed! Help me make the right upgrade...

Guidance needed! Help me make the right upgrade...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive currently got a Rancilio Sylvia and Rocky grinder...

We love the Sylvia and think its fantastic value,but after 4 years of it, were thinking of investing a bit more and upgrading our machine...

The big question is what should we buy? Our budget is about $2,000 -$3,000

Im currently leaning towards the Expobar Minore 2, but want to make the right decision.

Any words of wisdom out there???

Re: Guidance needed! Help me make the right upgrad

Hi Jen

Im very envious of your budget but Im sweet talking the wife for an upgrade next year.

The standard Coffee Snob advice here is to go to one of the sponsors shops (look on the left side of the page) and check out the range. In the end it will be what feels best for you, not how much you spend.

Where do you live? If in Sydney, I highly recommend DiBartolis for finding out what is best for you. Renzo has all his range set up so you can use the same portafilter and coffee in each machine to see how each feels and operates.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Jen.

I have an Expobar and have been very happy with it.

I didnt get the Minore I have the Leva.
    My choice was because of personal preferences not budget.

I second Di Bartoli if you are in Sydney.
    I got mine from Talk Coffee if you are in Melbourne.
    I highly recommend Chris for all round excellent service.

Jen,

Another very happy Expobar owner here.
    We have the Minore II and have enjoyed it ever since we got it about 18 months ago.
    Pair it with a good grinder (and good beans) and youll be enjoying great coffee for a long time.
    I initially had the Silvia/Rocky combo. I kept the Rocky when we got the Expobar, but the urge to upgrade (and temptations from Chris) led me to upgrade to a Macap.

If you are planning to sell the Silvia and Rocky, you should get a pretty good resale value for them.

I also got mine from Chris @ Talk Coffee and recommend him highly.

Seconding the Macap.
    Mine has been great.

Hi Jen
    You have the pick of the litter in your price bracket

Expobar Minore 2, David Makin, Giotto Rocket, Vibiemme
    Domobar Super Lever, Bezzera
    All excellent machines ::)
    And there are many end of financial year specials at present

Please go and get a feel for all these machines, look at the design and if it will look nice in your kitchen and fits on your bench top (some have larger footprints)

The reason for this is that these machines are made to last and could be part of your life for many years

However do not overlook the importance of a good grinder

KK

I am in a very similar position JenS - looking to upgrade to one of these machines. From my reserach so far one important thing to note with the Minore II is that it is a dual boiler whilst the others identified by KK are heat exchangers.

They work a little differently in the way that brew temperature is managed and you need to be more hands on with a heat exchanger (i.e. cooling flushes) to regulate the brew temp- this is just one factor of many that might sway your decision.

As for me - enough reading - its time to get my hands on some of these machines, although that is proving to be a challenge in Perth where leading retailers seem to be 5 years behind in the domestic market!

Good luck - its proving a torturous process but important to get it right! : :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by simsy link=1215233987/0#6 date=1215349894
    I am in a very similar position JenS - looking to upgrade to one of these machines. From my reserach so far one important thing to note with the Minore II is that it is a dual boiler whilst the others identified by KK are heat exchangers.

They work a little differently in the way that brew temperature is managed and you need to be more hands on with a heat exchanger (i.e. cooling flushes) to regulate the brew temp- this is just one factor of many that might sway your decision.

As for me - enough reading - its time to get my hands on some of these machines, although that is proving to be a challenge in Perth where leading retailers seem to be 5 years behind in the domestic market!

Good luck - its proving a torturous process but important to get it right! : :)
    Hi Jen and Simsy,

All of the machines mentioned are great machines- but with subtle differences. Its good to discuss some nuances prior to pulling the trigger on the purchase gun!

Please feel free to call/email if I can assist in any way. We have some very pointy pricing this week post the Aromafest mayhem- so its a perfect time.

Good luck with your respective purchases!

Chris

Hello!

I am in exactly the same position as you but i am moving on from my stovetop coffee to the big time!!

I decided that i just wanted to make one really good purchase, that will last a long long time...

am looking to spend $3000 on a machine and grinder and am watching this thread eagerly.

What i have spotted so far that is making me ooohhh and aaaahhh is the Domobar Super, and the Rocket Giotto

and the grinder i think i want is a mazza mini.

But everytime i look at a different shop i get all confused and see a sexier machine than i had previously!!

is so confusing!!

but oh so fun too!!

so any thoughts on the above??

I have been extremely happy with my David Makin and my Macap MC4.
    The Macap I have now for 18 months and the Makin for 9 months and both have been perfect.
    Apart from many other things, I liked the smaller size of the Makin and the high quality of Stainless Steel. But you cant go wrong with any of the other machines either.

Good luck!

Another one with a Minore II - coming up to 18 months now & I love it. *Definitely my pride and joy!

I recently upgraded my grinder to a Macap M4D and I love it. *I am very happy with this combination now.

As has been said, I think all these machines have the ability to make you happy - its just a question of what you are looking for in a machine.

My combo makes me happy
    Love my Bezzera Domus Galatea
    I also have just upgraded my grinder to the Macap M4D

Reviews and internet searches will only give your brain a work out

To give your senses a workout
    Go in and look at these machines as you would view and test drive a car
    See the designs in the flesh, make a coffee, you will soon know what is your style

What are you waiting for :)

KK

I must second the sentiments above. The machines being suggested are all top performers and it comes down to personal preferences and aesthetics. I read reviews and comments and spoke to shops and sponsors until my head bled. All it did (with due respect) was give me the confidence that I was on the right track but it didnt actually narrow the field to one machine and one grinder. That didnt happen until I got to actually play, touch and feel the gear in the flesh.

Me? I went with a VBM Domobar Super and a dosered micrometric Macap M4 and am as happy as Larry. Above me are posters with all sorts of excellent combos and all, like me, are very satisfied. So buy with confidence, just go and check them out so you can pick YOUR combo.

Unfortunetly i live remotely and wont get to play until what ever i purchase arrives in the mail!!

my only problem is i think i have made my decision and then i see something else!! its painful...

i think from the machines mentioned either way i will be happy, but its so seriously confusing...

and the machines all look so hot!!

but i am thinking the way that whatever chris at talk coffee recommends me will be the way i will
    be going!!

karen

I found that Chris didnt actually recommend me a machine but between the two of us I came to a logical conclusion as to what I wanted.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1215233987/0#14 date=1215575024
    I found that Chris didnt actually recommend me a machine but between the two of us I came to a logical conclusion as to what I wanted.
    Hi all,

I am happy to assist in any way I can. Thanks as always for the feedback as well!

There are some special deals on some of the equipment mentioned as well- running until this Friday: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/5#5

regards

Chris

Hi Betty

> Unfortunetly i live remotely and wont get to play until what ever i purchase
    > arrives in the mail!!

Surely a trip to Melbourne to look at the machines would be worthwhile even if it took a couple of days. It would be a small cost to ensure the right machine for you.

Mike

Would love to slip into melbourne for the weekend, how ever would probably blow about half my budget....

i live in karratha, wa - around 1700kms away from perth

I actually spoke to chris and we nutted out what i am after and i now just have to get a smidgey bit more
    in the pink piggy bank and all will be sweet!!

Am loving the forum though... so much info!!

its a great way to loose and hour or two!!

karen

Hi

Ah, yeah that is a wee bit remote. But the town does have an entry in Wikipedia :-)
    And yes this forum is a wonderful place to gain assistance in choosing a nice machine.

Mike

At the moment the choice is the V. Domobar Super and a Mazza Mini.

cant wait...

now to get some nice beans and cups to go with it!

I dont think you will be disappointed with your choice BeanBay.

I trialled a VBM today (with Mazza mini) for the first time and was impressed - after only a 5 minute warm-up the machine still provided a great extraction and ample steam - too easy!

Perhaps not as pretty as the Giotto, but a real workhorse that Im sure will deliver the goods for you!!

Oh and did I mention the BIG drip tray - its great, one area I thought it clearly outpointed the Giotto.

CTGTC

Quote Originally Posted by black betty link=1215233987/0#19 date=1215583135
    At the moment the choice is the V. Domobar Super
    ...<<DVader inhale sound>>...we have secured another Jedi for the dark side my lord...<<DVader exhale sound>>...

...<<DVader inhale sound>>...we have secured another Jedi for the dark side my lord...<<DVader exhale sound>>...
    oh my god i almost peeed my pants!!

star wars and coffee... i love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by black betty link=1215233987/20#22 date=1215656132
    oh my god i almost peeed my pants!!

star wars and coffee... i love it!!
    Beats Starbucks and coffee

Have put down a down payment and should be in buisness in a week or two!!

its like christmas!!