Thread: Expobar Office vs Giotto vs Isomac etc

Expobar Office vs Giotto vs Isomac etc

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have an ECM Botticelli II and have been wanting to upgrade for a long time. As posted previously, my parents have an Isomac Mondiale which is proving to be outstanding, and there are glowing owner reports of the ECM/Rocket Giotto, so this level of machine is the logical step up from the Botticelli.

A local retailer and site sponsor has an Expobar Office Control at a good price (seems to be $500+ below RRP). Now having waited 2+ yrs to upgrade my Botticelli, I dont mind spending the dollars on an Ghiotto/Mondiale etc, but Id really like to know whether the Expobar is in the same league, or a step below the others.

My other question is - Im about to build a new house and will be pre-wiring/pre-plumbing for an espresso machine. Am I going to get a tangible benefit from a more commercial plumbed-in machine?

Re: Expobar Office vs Giotto vs Isomac etc

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR link=1215839304/0#0 date=1215839304

My other question is - Im about to build a new house and will be pre-wiring/pre-plumbing for an espresso machine. Am I going to get a tangible benefit from a more commercial plumbed-in machine?

David,

That depends on how you intend to use whatever machine you will have in future!

If you make quite a few coffees in a row from time to time (like I do).... then emptying the drip tray, refilling the reservoir etc is all a real pain.... but having a plumbed in machine.... these are things you just dont have to worry about.... the quality of the espresso wont really vary.... but the convenience of a plumbed in setup (in my situation.... and possibly yours) is invaluable.

Having to retrofit the services (high powered mains run, water supply and drainage is both difficult and very expensive..... believe me!) so if you feel you might ever upgrade to such a machine.... have a 15A (25A if you might get a two group like mine) power run, water and drainage fitted to the location during building.... it will give you greater flexibility if you ever decide to upgrade to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1215839304/0#1 date=1215842743
    believe me!) so if you feel you might ever upgrade to such a machine.... have a 15A (25A if you might get a two group like mine) power run, water and drainage fitted to the location during building.... it will give you greater flexibility if you ever decide to upgrade to that level.
    And, not mention the potential impact on the rating of the consumer mains cable coming from the power authority..... Much better to have all this accounted for right at the beginning and you wont have any concerns down the track ;),

Mal.

Banned

If you are going to run plumbing I dont think you can go past the Bezzera Domus Galatea with rotary pump. At under $3k its a great machine with many of the best features from both the prosumer and commercial class.

hi DavidR,
    I am completely new to this and dont have the experience of others [coffee experience that is].
    2 points.
    1.I love my new Giotto. Making beautiful coffee.
    2. If you can afford it, put in the wiring and plumbing. You dont have to acquire a machine that needs it right away. Gives you something to look forward to.

Best wishes for your new machine AND your new house *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

But how about the variation in coffee quality + usability between these types of machines?

Like Gracey, Im very new.

With the same good quality grinder I couldnt tell any difference between the Giotto and the Vibiemme Domobar Super with regard to taste. Me thinks the grinder was the X factor making both shots sublime - Macap M5.

I made my choice out of these two after making my choice to boil it down to these two based on other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR link=1215839304/0#5 date=1215909000
    But how about the variation in coffee quality + usability between these types of machines?
    Dunno - Ive never even seen one of the others! All I know is IMHO Im now pulling better shots on my Giotto than I can get from most [all?] sources round here.
    I suspect that with the machines of this class, the standard of the shots is not going to really vary and purchase decisions are made on other factors. Plumbed in or not would certainly be such a factor.
    Best wishes with your agony of decision

Quick update on this - revised thoughts. There seem to be a lot of people on here who go through the decision process.

If you can get a hands-on demo of the machines, that is the best way to get a first-hand idea of the ergonomics, build quality etc.

I ended up buying a Giotto for various reasons, and am very happy with it. I was keen on the Isomac Mondiale, having used my parents machine. But revisitng it now, the Isomac:

- feels nowhere near as well built as the Giotto (thinner steel, more flex etc)
    - the lever-based steam/water wands arent as good as knobs, AND they get hot too!
    - I miss the cool-touch steam/hot water wands
    - is massively oversized compared to the competition
    - water tank is very small and is really a plastic reservoir, rather than a true tank
    - cup warmer is smaller than Giotto, despite being a much bigger unit
    - coffee quality is pretty much the same
    - portafilters feel cheaper

Hope this info is helpful for anyone going through the same decision process I did.

on the topic of the plumbing/wiring for the new house just bare in mind that upgraditis is inevitable and setting the new house up with the right plumbing and 3 phase power which youll need if running a larger machine and aircon is way cheaper now
    itll cost $2000 to get the power co. to bring 3 phase to the meter box and then the plumber will want atleast $1500 and a sparky another $500 to $700 for a 25 amp plug in the right spot alot of $$$ all this can be done by your builder for under $500 i just went through the process

I must be lucky I have 2 big base station air cons (cheapies not inverters) and the coffee machine - 2 group - and no problems with no 3 phase power. *Having said that when I use the inverter tig/stick welder I pull the plug on the coffee machine first :) - just in case. If I did it again I would have 3 phase so i could run welders etc at the same time. Of course 3 phase would be essential for ducted A/C

Cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by gottheshakes link=1215839304/0#9 date=1220207111
    on the topic of the plumbing/wiring for the new house just bare in mind that upgraditis is inevitable and setting the new house up with the right plumbing and 3 phase power which youll need if running a larger machine and aircon is way cheaper now
    itll cost $2000 to get the power co. to bring 3 phase to the meter box and then the plumber will want atleast $1500 and a sparky another $500 to $700 for a 25 amp plug in the right spot alot of $$$ all this can be done by your builder for under $500 i just went through the process
    I havent seen too many machines which require 3 phase- unless youre planning on a 16 group thing :-? Id think a dedicated 15A would be ample for pretty much anything youd want at home? Go crazy and have a dedicated 30A if you wish...

Maybe the 3 phase is for the robur?

2mcm

My new aircon doesnt need 3 phase.

my air con does but even if yours doesnt a ducted system will cause power spikes if it feeds from the same phase aas the rest of the house or pool pumps can also electrical items dont like spikes it cost $180 if even i want to run a mig welder i can... was worth the dosh to have the option concidering $2000 after construction

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR link=1215839304/0#8 date=1219361196

I ended up buying a Giotto for various reasons, and am very happy with it. I was keen on the Isomac Mondiale, having used my parents machine. But revisitng it now, the Isomac:

- feels nowhere near as well built as the Giotto (thinner steel, more flex etc)
    - the lever-based steam/water wands arent as good as knobs, AND they get hot too!
    - I miss the cool-touch steam/hot water wands
    - is massively oversized compared to the competition
    - water tank is very small and is really a plastic reservoir, rather than a true tank
    - cup warmer is smaller than Giotto, despite being a much bigger unit
    - coffee quality is pretty much the same
    - portafilters feel cheaper

Hope this info is helpful for anyone going through the same decision process I did.
    This is slightly subjective IMO. The thinner S/S seems to be shinier (higher quality?). The lever-based steam/water wands are better than knobs from a milk-based perspective (instant shutoff), and its not massively oversized compared to the competition (Galatea is wider, Domobar Super is longer). Water tank is easier to access and fill, and reservoir vs. tank comes down to taste.

Coffee Quality.......hmm. someone with more info than me would have to give this a shot, but I suspect the Mondiale edges it based on a number of things (inner piping/tubing & pressurestat). The portafilters may feel cheaper, never noticed!

Glad youre enjoying the Giotto though! Personally Id take the Premium Plus or Mondiale over the stock Giotto any time though, for the reasons above!

Gday "gts".....

Ever given any consideration for the use of "Soft Starters" where ever you have electric motors starting direct on line (DOL)? Theyre not too expensive these days and with the use of MOSFET output devices, they dont create any nasties back into the mains grid.

Mal.

thank for the tip Mal Im just looking for a spa atm and that could work well ;)