Thread: New guy needs advice..... PLEASE

New guy needs advice..... PLEASE

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my machine, I currently have a Brugnetti Simona Top. http://www.brugnetti.com/en/prod.php?id=top

It is a little tired and needs replacing. I was hoping to keep pretty close to $1500.

I was throwing around the idea of getting an Elektra Micro Leva http://www.elektrasrl.com/fam_retro_1grlv_ro.php because it is so damn pretty but I am worried if it will suit me. I have read that it is only capable of pulling one or two decent handles before she needed a rest.

Does anyone have any ideas or recomendations of other machines that I should be looking at?

It will be used every day, mostly in the morning, and maybe afternoon as well, more on weekends. Sometimes I have friends over and will need to make maybe four coffees at a time. I am happy to get to know my machine, i just want something that works well and looks pretty if possible.

Your Ideas are very much welcomed, thank you.

Re: New guy needs advice..... PLEASE

Hi Adrian and welcome

If I had your budget I think I would go for the Vibiemme Levetta

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-vibiemme-domobar-levetta.php

VBM has a great reputation and it also has the E61 group head which does it for me. Also as it is relatively common parts and service wont be a problem. This machine has been recommended by others too. While it doesnt have the looks of the Elektra, it still has the bling factor.

You dont mention where you live but, if possible, go along to one of the sponsors shops on the list at the left and see if you can try them out. Opinions are opinions but the general recommendation is that you need hands-on to work out if the machine is right for you.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Adrian.

You didnt say what grinder you have.

That will make a big difference to your coffee and budget.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I am in Melbourne and I have an Innova I1 grinder.

I have steered away from the Elektra Micro leva as my girlfriend thinks it looks a tad over the top.

The semi machine that was mentioned above looks good. I have one question, well maybe three.

What is the difference between the VBM Super Lever, the Isomac Millenium and the ECM Giotto, they all look similar. Have they been coppied from one specific machine? Is one of these better than the others?

Thanks

psaigh

Haha, thats an interesting way to put it. But essentially yes, they all stem from the same patent in their build, the famed e61 group type. Theyre not all exactly the same, and youll find users who swear by each of the machines, but the difference is negligable. Go for one based your own personal impressions of each of the machines and if you can get a demo of each thatd be fantastic, and go for hte one that "feels" right for you. Or if you happen to find a bargain on one of them, jump on it!

Quote Originally Posted by psaigh link=1217834267/0#4 date=1217886480
    Haha, thats an interesting way to put it. *But essentially yes, they all stem from the same patent in their build, the famed e61 group type. *Theyre not all exactly the same, and youll find users who swear by each of the machines, but the difference is negligable. *Go for one based your own personal impressions of each of the machines and if you can get a demo of each thatd be fantastic, and go for hte one that "feels" right for you. *Or if you happen to find a bargain on one of them, jump on it!
    I concur. You could spend ages looking for a machine which is perfect but in reality, all machines are a compromise and strengths in one area may be a minor weakness in another. As Chris explained to me, the difference in coffee quality at this end of the market is negligible - what varies is the usability. You might like a bigger drip tray, and the expense of a smaller (or harder-to-get-to) water tank.

Ive used the Isomac Mondiale and rate it very highly. I would have bought one of those were it not for Talk Coffees runout last month, when it came down to the VBM and the Giotto. But Im not disappointed with the Giotto, and after seeing the Mondiale again, it feels quite tinny in comparison. Although the steam/water levers are easier to use than knobs, the wands feel relatively flimsy compared to the Giotto.

Hi Adrian
    Go and road test the machines
    What is good for me and others may not be good for you

In no time at all you will at least form a short list then work on those machines that make "your cut"

If you are in Melbourne give Chris from Talk Coffee a call

KK

Thank you all, I will go and see Chris on Saturday and report back with my thoughts.