Thread: Vibiemme razor blades

Vibiemme razor blades

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    For those of you that love your Vibiemme Domobar as I do and enjoy wiping down the stainless and emptying the drip tray, you will have noticed that the object of your affection is actually laced with razor blades. That is, there are sharp edges everywhere. Some of the worst have razor sharp flashes left over from the stamping process. You can feel them with your finger nail. Iíve run a small fine grinding stone lightly over all the edges. This has done the trick. It will still cut you if you want it to but not as easily. If you are careful with the stone, there is no visual impact at all.

One would have thought VBM would have someone run a tool over the edges prior to assembly. This may add a few dollars to the cost but the CS would quickly recoup it through savings in band-aid costs.

Re: Vibiemme razor blades

Its about time someone mentioned about the sharp edges.

Ive been cut about 5 times on mine.

Some were REALLY really deep cuts. Didnt stop bleeding for an hour or so...

I have the scars to prove it!

Cant say Ive really noticed that on mine.....maybe I dont clean it enough.

Cheers

Yeah the Minore has a few edges that are like carrying a bundle of knives too.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#2 date=1219649893
    Cant say Ive really noticed that on mine.....maybe I dont clean it enough.

Cheers
    +1

yes, one of the first things I noticed is the sharp edge of the top edge of the drip tray, cut straight from the guillotine, it wouldnt take much effort to round these edges off at the factory.

I probably will get around the cleaning the edges up one day, but doesnt worry me at the moment, I simply dont run my hand or fingers around the edge, all I do is empty the tray and on occasions run a bit of hot water thru it to rinse out coffee grinds

I had the back off my Levetta just the other day, adjusting the water level cut-out. It was only getting down to about half a tank before it would cut-out. Anyway, I probaly didnt have to take the back off, but I wanted a good look around anyway, and I still didnt cut myself ::)

While I was looking though I thought it would be good if the boiler had an insulating jacket to keep the heat in. Anyone ever heard of anything like that?

Cheers

Yeah, I found out about the razor blade drip tray edge the other night when cleaning - have been extra careful ever since. Will run a diamond file over it, should solve the problem.

But yes, I agree that this could have been done at the factory..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#6 date=1219915611
    While I was looking though I thought it would be good if the boiler had an insulating jacket to keep the heat in. Anyone ever heard of anything like that?
    I reckon that would result in less power usage but wouldnt you end up with cold cups on top? :P

Mark

I usually fill a cup with water and zap it in the microwave for a minute, just to warm it up. While that is happening, I have time to grind and tamp etc. Rinsing the cup sets it up for its next run in the microwave......

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMac link=1219645835/0#6 date=1219915611

Cheers
    I was thinking that myself. It can only improve efficiency and it might improve temperature stability as well. No doubt the manufacturers would not consider the cost of electricity an issue for purchasers of their machines so havent bothered with insulation. However, I dont think it would be a good idea to insulate the heat exchanger pipes. That might change the thermal equilibrium of the system resulting in higher group temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by BobT link=1219645835/0#10 date=1219924152
    I was thinking that myself. *It can only improve efficiency and it might improve temperature stability as well. *No doubt the manufacturers would not consider the cost of electricity an issue for purchasers of their machines so havent bothered with insulation. *However, I dont think it would be a good idea to insulate the heat exchanger pipes. *That might change the thermal equilibrium of the system resulting in higher group temperatures.
    This topic has been discussed a few times over the years (at great length ::)) so a search will reveal all... :)

Mal.

If its any consolation, Synesso cuts have been a common complaint at the Maling Room for years.

Cheers,

Luca

I strongly disagree.

This is no consolation, it is poor quality control.

The forum needs to ask...is it acceptable?

Regardz,
    Attilio.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1219645835/0#13 date=1219961287
    I strongly disagree.

Regardz,
    Attilio.
    Agreed

I strongly disagree.
    Regardz,
    Attilio.
    In March of 2008 I wrote my review of the VBM DS. In it I state:

The edges of the drip tray and inner panel on my machine were sharp, having micro-serration burrs from the manufacturing process. I cut myself a few times on the inner panel until I removed it and honed all the edges, by hand, with a file and diamond hone. Others have not reported this problem with their cases."

It seems that this problem has not been addressed.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G. link=1219645835/0#15 date=1219967757
    I strongly disagree.
    Regardz,
    Attilio.
    In March of 2008 I wrote my review of the VBM DS. In it I state:

The edges of the drip tray and inner panel on my machine were sharp, having micro-serration burrs from the manufacturing process. I cut myself a few times on the inner panel until I removed it and honed all the edges, by hand, with a file and diamond hone. Others have not reported this problem with their cases."

It seems that this problem has not been addressed.
    Hmm....I have bench tested well over 100 DS levers and probably the same number of Vashettas- and never been cut once.. :-?

You must be tough as nails Chris.

It all has to do with the blade sharpness of the guillotine in the factory

If they donít change the cutting blades with freshly sharpened ones after a set amount of use you run the risk of ripping the sheet steel

Blunt blades will not cut the sheet steel cleanly leaving sharp edges

I am sure if any cs members are or have been employed (as I was) in the steel fabricating industry will confirm it

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1219645835/0#18 date=1219973810
    It all has to do with the blade sharpness of the guillotine in the factory

If they donít change the cutting blades with freshly sharpened ones after a set amount of use you run the risk of ripping the sheet steel

Blunt blades will not cut the sheet steel cleanly leaving sharp edges

I am sure if any cs members are or have been employed (as I was) in the steel fabricating industry will confirm it

KK
    I agree. In any case it is standard practice at least on consumer goods to run a deburring tool over the exposed edges. If any manufacturer of these stainless steel beauties is reading this, you might be interested in this site http://www.noga.com/pdfFiles/ld26.pdf .

Bob

Never noticed mine, remove the drip tray cover every day to clean, i actually thought they were finished quite nicely :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1219645835/20#20 date=1220000995
    Never noticed mine, remove the drip tray cover every day to clean, i actually thought they were finished quite nicely *:-?
    When I wrote my review there was a similar response. later a few folks mentioned that they found the sharp edges as well. They were mainly on the edges of the inner panel and on the edges of the drip tray (not the drip tray cover). I remember I got sliced pretty good n the inner panel trying to adjust the OPV without removing the panel. It was one of those moments where for an instant, you think to yourself, I wonder where that red ink on the inner panel is coming from, and then you feel the burning pain of the open wound. At least I wasnt working with acetone at the time! :o

That little access window for the OPV is pretty lame. The angle of the OPV and the proximity of the microswitch for the reservoir made it difficult to access so I loosened the fittings on the OPV and re-angled it, and I filed off the edges of the inner panel as well as the drip tray, then smoothed them off with a diamond hone.

The caveat here is that if you get a VBM, it may or may not have sharp edges. handle it carefully until you are sure.

Files my drip tray edges down last night, much better although I could do with one of those deburring tools... :)

Mark

There is an earlier post on the VBM indicating the availability of a manual from 1st Line.
    In it, the first line reads "Avoid costly damage and potential injury by reading this entire manual first!"
    Then do a search for "sharp" and reveal -

When working inside the machine be aware that some of the metal panels have sharp edges. Use gloves or other appropriate protective measures to avoid lacerations and other similar injuries.

WARNING: there are sharp edges around the divider panel. Use caution when adjusting the over pressure relief valve.

No big secret. Just treat it with care or file them off.
    My drip tray doesnt cut. There are some burrs in under the drip tray that are sharp enough to cut so cleaning requires care.

Quote Originally Posted by tasadam link=1219645835/20#23 date=1220223310
    There is an earlier post on the VBM indicating the availability of a manual from 1st Line.
    In it, the first line reads "Avoid costly damage and potential injury by reading this entire manual first!"...
    When working inside the machine be aware that some of the metal panels have sharp edges. Use gloves or other appropriate protective measures to avoid lacerations and other similar injuries.

WARNING: there are sharp edges around the divider panel. Use caution when adjusting the over pressure relief valve.
    Ill give you three guesses as to who wrote the manual.
    *HINT: See sig below... V

I strongly disagree.

Regardz,
    Attilio.
    Irony, Attilio!

Well I havent been cut yet and have thought the finish on all the edges is great.

(Having put it in print, you can bet I will slice my hand in the morning!!!)