Thread: Smallest Footprint - best thermostability

Smallest Footprint - best thermostability

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am looking for a machine that (1st and foremost) gives the best thermostability - I also need the smallest foot print.

Mostly looking for Espresso - albeit milk drinks would go down well on weekends. We are mostly morning and evening coffee drinkers, with the odd mid day coffee. We rarely cater for a crowd - so I dont see capacity being an issue - the issue is the long idling time. that will happen between drinks.....

What machine has best thermostability and preferably a small foot print?

I want the machine to be the consistent part of the equation.

Recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Col.

TC

Re: Smallest Footprint - best thermostability

Quote Originally Posted by Col link=1222781662/0#0 date=1222781661
    Hi,

I am looking for a machine that (1st and foremost) gives the best thermostability - I also need the smallest foot print.

Mostly looking for Espresso - albeit milk drinks would go down well on weekends. We are mostly morning and evening coffee drinkers, with the odd mid day coffee. We rarely cater for a crowd - so I dont see capacity being an issue - the issue is the long idling time. that will happen between drinks.....

What machine has best thermostability and preferably a small foot print?

I want the machine to be the consistent part of the equation.

Recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Col.
    Hi Col,

In HX machines, Rocket have done an enormous work on thermostability with the new Giotto Premium plus and its a superb machine with not too big a foot print.

If it really does have to be small, you might consider the Bezzera BZ07 which is not much larger than your Silvia (you could PID the Silvia *:-?). My initial impressions were that ithe BZ07 does need a cooling flush but is good after that. The shower screen is lower than Giotto- this machine encourages you to dose lower and grind finer. On the one unit I have seen, I was unable to make the school tap style valve controls lock (which is supposedly possible *:-/) so milk texture was a one handed event. The group is electrically heated, so it comes up to temperature in around 15 minutes.

If you are happy to press a button and wait to texture your milk (when you do), the dual purpose single boiler machines are also a possibility. This group includes Silvia and Vashetta and the best example I have used is the Diadema Perfetta. Its top end but the build quality and more importantly performance are terrific. Like youe Silvia, I would not advise leaving this type of machine on all day though as the boilers dont auto-fill and its not impossible to fry an element. Anything in this group would represent a step sideways for you

You are most welcome to make contact in your preferred manner (including Skype *8-)) if youd like to discuss your options further.

regards

Chris

Site Sponsor

Col,

As Chris mention you should look at the Rocket, but if you want small foot print may be the Isomac Tea, we should have this machine in the bench at the end of the week if you are in Sydney.

Chris good idea about the Skipe, you should take this idea one step ahead and do demos on Skipe.

Renzo

Col,
    I am te proud owner of a new Rocket Giotto PP, i went for it because of the footprint, it was that or the VBM DSL but the VBM was considerably larger. I wouldnt exactly call the Giotto small but it fits nicely on a 600mm deep (standard i believe) kitchen benchtop. The machine is very well made and more importantly makes an awesome espresso. From what i have researched, when it comes to machines of this caliber, the footprints are all fairly similar. None of them are as small as the more domestic machines and i guess when it comes to thermostability, you need the mass and therefore the size of the machine is invariably larger. Mind you, these are my opinions and i could be wrong. Either way the Giotto is super shiny!!
    James.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Di Bartoli link=1222781662/0#2 date=1222822320
    Chris good idea about the Skipe, you should take this idea one step ahead and do demos on Skipe.

Renzo
    Great idea Renzo,

Will see if I can find someone to arrange a graft of a wireless webcam to my forehead ;)

Chris

Dunno about a graft but you could get one of these and never take it off. Good as a graft, then.
    If thats a bit too upmarket, then try this *;D

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1222781662/0#4 date=1222826855

Renzo
    Great idea Renzo,

Will see if I can find someone to arrange a graft of a wireless webcam to my forehead ;)
    At least itd match the laptop that seems to be hanging from your neck! *;D

(Thats a compliment Chris, youre very on the ball ;) )

Careful what you say Dan - Chris might not show you his Faema! ;D

Back on track, I used to keep my Giotto toward the front of a standard depth kitchen counter as I personally found this more comfortable, and there was plenty of dead space behind it. The other footprint to consider is the grinder - they differ too. IMO the machines mentioned above are chalk and cheese. If you have a couple of spare centimetres on the bench, and the dosh, the Giotto shines!

In the price bracket and type pf model this discussion usually relates to (semi or micro commercial heat exchanger - HX - equipment) there are many great machines out there including my very own Diadema Junior Plus and Unico Splendor, Junior EXTRA and Regal machines.

There is more to life than so called "temperature stability" and tech specs. *A model is either a successful, well engineered and built model, or it is not and if it is not, its tech specs will not save it.

For the type of use you described you would I think be perfectly happy with one of our 1.3 litre models. As you would expect we use one in our own staff kitchen and it caters for 12 staff, does not miss a beat, makes excellent espresso and milk drinks, and is around 2 years old. It is the electronic touchpad model that usually lends itself better to office use but of course we have a range of models with differeing external aesthetics just take a look on our website linked below.

Ill see if I can post a photo of ours set in a typical work environment where it is not treated all that well but continues to do a great job day in and day out. *The foot print is small for a machine that weighs more than 23 kilos and is built to do a job....which sounds just like the job you require.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    first / original CS site sponsor.

PS the grinder is one of our Macinox doserless types.

PPSS Oh forgot to mention, our Diadema machines are set up to our signature specifications......what we ask the manufacturer to do for us is not important to relate here, suffice to mention the machiens are set up the way we want so they behave in a manner that we as coffee roasters want them to behave to make excellent coffee and perform well.

Guess I should have mentioned the footprint is close enough to:

257 mm wide by
    395 mm deep.

A.

Thanks for all the replies - I guess this is a pretty well worn out question (what machine to get next) - but it is always interesting to see different view points and see if there is something that I have not seen.

Size does matter - mostly in depth due to where it is sitting (on the double sided breakfast bar).

Not sure about a volumetric though.....

The WAF is clearly with the GPP - will see.

Thanks,
    Col.

Quote Originally Posted by Col link=1222781662/0#10 date=1222850825
    Not sure about a volumetric though.....
    The Diadema machine that Attilio cited as an example above, is but one of many guises that BFC use. The same quality machine is available as a straight Semi-Automatic as well without all the bells and whistles of a volumetric machine....

Mal.

Thanks Mal you beat me to it. I just wanted to show the kind of relative size of our own staff kitchen machine and thought I had covered myself by saying ".... but of course we have a range of models with differing external aesthetics just take a look on our website linked below......"

And I realise the volumetric is not the good looking one....not intended to be as its an office work horse.

Its stable mates are the same machine internally and in terms of the chassis and footprint, with different external styles including *a non volumetric electric E61 group model as well as the ever present exposed E61 manual group type!

Actually I think our manufacturer is one of very few that present more than one choice of model in this range, most others seem to be content to throw all their eggs in one basket.

Cheers,
    A. *

TC

Renzo
    Good to hear that you have decided to offer Skype as well guys,

Have you made your appointment to have the webcam surgically implanted so as to do some demos as well? ;D

Chris

Site Sponsor

Yep,

That the strategy of follow the lider jajajaja

Regards

Renzo

Site Sponsor

Hi Col,

Ive had a Diadema Junior Plus on the bench at home for a couple of weeks now and can confirm it has only needed a "cleaning" flush rather than a longer cooling flush from idle. Making several caps in a row hasnt phased it either. Its proof you dont need the biggest boiler on the block to be temperature stable ...

Given your requirements, you should also consider the bigger single boiler machines such as the Perfetta.

Weve got the Diademas, Giotto and others at our Cremorne showroom for a side-by-side size comparison and demos,

charlie
    (not on skype ... yet * ::) but I do have a couple of webcams lying around *;)