Thread: Electrolux Gallery EE600X

Electrolux Gallery EE600X

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Ive had one of these for a while:
    http://www.electrolux.com.au/node38.aspx?productId=2688

We originally had it built in as part of a new kitchen. Ive recently taken an interest in it again and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine and if it would be possible to make a great cup of coffee with it or am I just wasting my time even trying.

Im an almost total newbie when it comes to making a decent cup of coffee, but Ive given it a go with this machine with varying results. Mostly the coffee is too watery, without enough crema. Ive tried tamping using the built in tamper but it doesnt quite fit properly. I was going to buy a tamper and/or try using pods to see if it is even possible to make a decent cup. What I really need is an experienced barista to come around and test it out!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Electrolux Gallery EE600X

Hi saadro,

Welcome to CS.

Some questions for you:
    Is the coffee fresh?
    EG: Was it roasted less than a couple of weeks ago. Stale beans will put you on the road to failure right away.

Are you grinding just prior to making the coffee? Once you grind, beans are best used within a few minutes.

Is the grinder set fine enough? Watery coffee can also be indicative of the grind being too coarse.

A custom tamper is a good idea (but see how things go with the other variables first), pods are NOT a good idea.

Any idea what size the coffee basket is?
    Do you know if it is pressurised? EG Does it have a lot of little holes across the whole bottom of the basket, or just a few? Just a few means pressurised and thats another possible issue for crema.

Brett.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the reply.

The coffee beans Im using right now are of the packaged variety. They were in vacuum sealed packaging. I use the built in grinder so I use the coffee immediately.

The coffee basket is 5.9cm in diameter. Ive attached some pics below (apologies if its overkill).

Single

Double

Underneath

Steam wand with cover removed

Built in grinder and tamper

This evening, I tried setting the grinder to a finer setting and ground two shots into the smaller basket and tamped it fairly well. I must admit that the coffee produced was better, with more crema. Heres a couple of pics:

Im sure that most of this comes down to me being an almost total green bean! I guess I just want to know if its possible to produce a great cup with this unit so I can perservere.

Thanks,
    Ross

Ross,

Pictures are good.

I think you should certainly be able to produce some good stuff on that unit.
    The baskets appear to be regular ones. Probably 58mm.
    Pressurised baskets have a false bottom where a fake crema is produced. It looks like the crema you got is real.

Id say the main ingredient for you is some fresh roasted beans. Might I suggest some from this very site or one of the sponsors.
    Vacuum packed beans are stale when you get them.
    They still produce coffee that many people drink and are happy with, but you will be amazed at the difference fresh, good quality roasted beans will do for you.

Go on... get into it. I think the gear you have is capable enough.

Brett.

Hi Brett,

Ok mate, thats encouraging. Ill check it out.

Thanks,
    Ross

Hmm... pictures seem to indicate similar (same?) external components as the Nemox/Imat/Lelit Combi machines. The web site tells you nothing much (they play their cards very close to their chest).

Whether it is made under licence for Electrolux and has the same Lux conical burr grinder, 300 ml brass boiler, 3-way valve... who knows.

If it is, then definitely capable of good results... if you use good, fresh beans. ;)

Yep thats definitely the same hardware, its shared around between a lot of different people who badge and package it as they want, there are a number of built-in solutions. The baskets are nominally 57mm units not 58mm. Any tips which apply for the Imat range (such as at www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/imat/) would apply to this unit as far as I can tell.

So yep - fresh beans to start with, get rid of the rubber crema disk if they gave you one and youre using it. A better tamper will help as the undersized one is really ordinary but start with fresh beans and see whether you get an improvement. Note that youll probably have to adjust the grinder to compensate for the different beans.

Greg

Hi Guys,

I contacted Electrolux the other day asking for more information and they essentially told me to go away and read the brochure. They wouldnt even give me any general information about the components >:(

Anyways, thanks a lot for the tips!

Great site btw Greg P! Thanks for sharing that information. Very helpful.

Ross

the crema looks very pale. it could just be my computer screen. does anything improve if you make the grind finer? You also may have more luck with the double filter.

I also agree with everyone else - get some good coffee first before trying too much or else you are wasting your time.

Hi guys

Hope you dont mind a bit of a story here... I decided to keep building on this thread...

I purchased one of these last weekend as we are about to renovate our kitchen. Got it at well over half the original price (which means I paid about what it is worth for the Lelit internals it has). When I bought it, I knew nothing about espresso machines and the salesman was a bit of a CS and convinced me that I would make better coffe with a manual machine than a fully automatic one in the wall costing 3-4 times the price.

Anyway, the journey started on Sunday as I toddled off to Bunnings and invested $31 in a sheet of MDF and with the help of a mate, built a temporary cabinet to fit it in so I could learn how to use it. Then I rushed off to a local Zaraffas outlet to grab some beans to give it a go.

Tuesday I tracked down Veneziano on the way home from work and after sampling their coffee decided they would be my supplier. I grabbed a decent tamper and a milk jug from them and asked about their Barista courses. Before I knew it, I was back there last Thursday night with my new machine in the back of my ute to do a 3 hour course on how to make coffee which was run by Jai.

After grinding about 750 grams of coffee, we concluded that there was no way that I could get the coffee fine enough. Jai said give it about 3 weeks and if I had not sorted it out perhaps it was time to consider investing in an external grinder which did not really make sense.

You see the problem is that there is a stop that prevents the grinder being set fine enough as shown here:

[img][/img]

When I used some of the coffee ground on Venezianos commercial grinders, the perfomance was near perfect.

So anyway, I lost a bit of sleep last night stressing about this and was geting a bit worried about fitting this slap bang where my wife wanted her new pantry and not ending up using it.

I decided to go back to basics and after poring over the net, confirmed that this machine is indeed full of Lelit Combi hardware and was really pleased to see that on this forum they had a great reputation. I was gld to find I had not purchased a lemon!

Tonight, I to poured a single shot of 35ml in 25 seconds. It tasted pretty good, my wife was happy with the taste but I knew I can do better after doing Jais course.

Anyway, tonight was the break through I was looking for! I found this picture of a Lelit grinder

on this page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38684538@N00/3234313325/

Well, Look at that! The stops are identical to mine and there was only one there! Sure enough on reading further on the link above, it said that the stops just pull out with a pair of pliers. I rushed out to the shed, grabbed a pair and off it came as easy as pie.

So it looks like tomorrow I am off to buy another packet of beans and dial this sucker in! Just as well as we signed a contract witht he kitchen people today so this will become a reality (you can see the coffee maker on the left):

[img][/img]

Anyway, I suspect the next mod might be to duck out to the shed again and turn up a replacement tamper to bolt back onto the machine in place of the undersized one. I have got some 60mm dia aluminium rod. Is there any reason not to use Aluminium as a tamper?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3F22293A4D0 link=1224562803/9#9 date=1281788872
    Is there any reason not to use Aluminium as a tamper?
    looks like ya doing some great work there :-)

As to the tamper Question..

Have you seen what comes with some of these pieces of equipment... Just about every thing you can think of... Have not seen medical waist; as yet :o

The issue is that Aluminium is light and soft; but if you manage that it should not be a problem..

Now if ya do that; your up for a fine and you can hand that lathe over to me.. Missed out on one teh other day.. Good ones do not come along that often....

Vs have some good blends and at times some great SO can be had there...

After teh feeding frenzy in 45min a few will be meeting to collect green beans in a week or two... Make ya self known.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 7F50595B4C735F505F595B535B504A3E0 link=1224562803/10#10 date=1281791686

As to the tamper Question..

The issue is that Aluminium is light and soft; but if you manage that it should not be a problem
    ... and easy to machine. I know less about lathes than making coffee. Weight should not be an issue, it will be heavier than the factory plastic one! .. A piece of brass would look great too

Quote Originally Posted by 7F50595B4C735F505F595B535B504A3E0 link=1224562803/10#10 date=1281791686
    Now if ya do that; your up for a fine and you can hand that lathe over to me.. Missed out on one teh other day.. Good ones do not come along that often....
    I know the feeling, Nothing seems to go for less than $1k and I have spent a lot on tooling and a quick change toolpost. Now to feed your envy:

BTW, there is a new Aussie based fabricators forum you might like to look at here:
    http://www.ozf.com.au/forum/index.php

The guys are very helpful there too!

A_M

Ya coffee will never turn out as you expect.

Your workspace is too clean and all in order ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 614E4745526D414E4147454D454E54200 link=1224562803/12#12 date=1281827315
    Ya coffee will never turn out as you expect.

Your workspace is too clean and all in order *;D
    You are probably right! *;)

This is what I got to with some zarrafas beans. I suspect they are a bit old and dry so it will be good to get some fresh beans from Venzianno later in the week..

I did grind fine enough to choke the machine so I know it will make good coffee now.

Anyway, just so everybody knows what we are talking about. Here it is in its makeshift home:

And it rolls out to add water and beans

And a drawer to keep everything tidy, I am sure I will have no chance of making decent coffee now...

You can see the similarities with Lelit. Identical steam wand, grinder group head and cr#ppy bolt on Tamper.

See: http://www.coffeeco.com.au/Napoletana_Instructions.html

Hey Rod,

I sent off that basket yesterday, you should get it tomorrow. Before you backflush just make sure you have a 3-way solenoid valve in there, I think it will by the look of it but a couple of versions were made without them at some point. It should "sneeze" or bleed water into the drip tray when you turn off the brew switch after the shot, not be any pressure in the PF when you unhook it and therell be a water line running directly to the drip tray. There is really good cleaning, maintenance etc. info on Greg Pullmans site under "Coffe Info". That is one sexy looking lelit combi BTW :o

Quote Originally Posted by 2833332821490 link=1224562803/14#14 date=1282030874
    Hey Rod,

I sent off that basket yesterday, you should get it tomorrow. *Before you backflush just make sure you have a 3-way solenoid valve in there, I think it will by the look of it but a couple of versions were made without them at some point. *It should "sneeze" or bleed water into the drip tray when you turn off the brew switch after the shot, not be any pressure in the PF when you unhook it and therell be a water line running directly to the drip tray. *There is really good cleaning, maintenance etc. info on Greg Pullmans site under "Coffe Info". *That is one sexy looking lelit combi BTW *:o
    Thanks Azza, very much appreciated. I am sure it does have the 3 way valve as there is a tube going down into the trip tray and there is no pressure in the PF.

The only problem is that while you can set the grinder time, it does not flow consistently. I am sure this is because the hopper has a very flat base so the beans dont slide into the burrs.

If anybody can sell me a replacement hopper that will fit a Lelit, please let me know. I might be able to cut it down so it still fits into the cupboard

Thanks Azza, Got it today

Quote Originally Posted by 2833332821490 link=1224562803/14#14 date=1282030874
    Hey Rod,

I sent off that basket yesterday, you should get it tomorrow. *
    Azza, thanks for this. my coffee cleaning stuff arrived today so I have a nice clean machine now *:D I used the instructons on the links you posted and it all seemed to work OK. Thanks mate.

Dont ask me why its taken so long, but finally I have this installed in our new kitchen.

It is so nice to have a bench beside the machine to tamp the coffee on.

Sorry about including the pic of a teapot on this forum!* :D :D

Nice, very nice 8-)

are you making doubles or singles? use the bigger basket and make a 60ml(ish) double in 25-30 seconds, much easier than making singles.

TC

:o :o :o Hooley dooley. RRP $2099 for a Lelit Combi in a sexier box!!!

Glad youre up and running Rod and hope you got it for a whole heap less than that. I am in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by 4345525943445C5E370 link=1224562803/19#19 date=1303124255
    Nice, very nice 8-)

are you making doubles or singles? use the bigger basket and make a 60ml(ish) double in 25-30 seconds, much easier than making singles.
    Yes, gave up on the single basket very early in the piece and if I am making coffe for 3, I discard it or someone is usually lucky enough to get a double in a mug.
    Quote Originally Posted by 63565B5C68745851515252370 link=1224562803/20#20 date=1303130063
    :o :o :o Hooley dooley. RRP $2099 for a Lelit Combi in a sexier box!!!

Glad youre up and running Rod and hope you got it for a whole heap less than that. I am in shock.
    Yes it was good value. We picked it up for $900 new from Clive Peeters and the original marked price was about $2500. We didnt know anything about coffee when we bought it but thanks to this forum and a barista course by a sponser, that has changed.*

The extra $100 or so we paid over the Lelit (which is the bench top I would buy today with my current knowledge) was good value for us. The reason we went looking at coffee makers was that regardless of what machine we purchased, we had to accommodate it in our kitchen makeover. As it turns out, fitting in a bench top unit would have been a challenge!

The drawer works particularly well as it contains the knock box and some moulded holders to store portafilters etc.

Now I just need some ideas on how to plumb in filtered water to the water tank in the machine!

I was thinking of a small float valve in the tank combined with a solenoid isolator so the water was only turned on while the machine was on for safety in case the float valve failed. I can find a float valve, but not the solenoid so any ideas would be apreciated.

Rod