Thread: Silvia with an E61 grouphead

Silvia with an E61 grouphead

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I dig my Silvia and Im happy to keep using it for an indefinite time, but sometimes I wish I could have just a little more temp stability.
    Ive toyed with the idea of a PID and there is a very real possibility of that in the near future.

But Id also like to consider an upgrade to a machine with an E61 grouphead....one day

Is there a machine that compares to the Silvia in build quality and reliability but with an E61?

Basically what Im aiming for could be described as a Silvia but with an E61 group.

What machines come close to that description?

Site Sponsor

Re: Silvia with an E61 grouphead

Hi Gronk62,

Youre basically looking at the E61 single boiler machines, Diadema Perfetta, Vibiemme Piccolo etc as the next step up. But you wouldnt be doing justice to these machines to describe them as Silvias with E61 groups ... and the price jump is a reflection of the difference.

Happy to go over the options, pros/cons in detail. PM me and I can call you back,

charlie

Solid+reliable+E61=Expobar Leva

I have been through this thought process - do you PID a Silvia or move up to a HX.....

IMHO - you will temperature surf a single boiler E61 the same way you temp surf your Silvia - I guess the difference is the E61 head could give you more consistency.

But - *unless you PID this new single boiler with the E61 head --> *how will you know if it is better than your Silvia - as it will still have a thermostat that regulates the temp that has a high and low point?

Cheers,
    Col.

Quote Originally Posted by Col link=1226216242/0#3 date=1226228475
    I have been through this thought process - do you PID a Silvia or move up to a HX.....

IMHO - you will temperature surf a single boiler E61 the same way you temp surf your Silvia - I guess the difference is the E61 head could give you more consistency.

But - *unless you PID this new single boiler with the E61 head --> *how will you know if it is better than your Silvia - as it will still have a thermostat that regulates the temp that has a high and low point?

Cheers,
    Col.
    This has been my train of thought.

Like I said, I dig the Silvia, and can live with the quirks. I think maybe the difference in price from Silvia to say an Expobar Leva would be a huge jump for possibly not a "huge" improvement in performance.

I do like the look and layout of the Expobar Leva Thundergod and the reviews Ive read so far seem to back up your description.

Charlie, thanks for the offer but Im not close enough $$ wise to be taking the plunge just yet. Still researching possible options.

Its a pity the Aus $ has taken a dive as this pretty much rules out a PID kit for the time being. Freight and exchange rate would just make it too expensive.

You might be right about not much improvement from a Silvia to a Leva.

But there are other advantages it has over the Silvia though that might suit you Gronk and might not.

The drip tray on the Leva is HUGE! (read HUGE!).
    3 litre water tank of which 2 is usable before the low water cutout.
    2 litre boiler (lots and lots and lots of steam).

Did I mention lots of steam?

And while Col is right about temp surfing a little with my Expobar, that is just a quick cooling flush after sitting idle.

Chris tested the temp on mine yesterday and its running a couple of degrees hot.
    It is also running at about 1.3 bar as well so Im going to drop the boiler pressure to about 1.1 and that should bring the temp down those couple of degrees.
    It seems to have crept up to 1.3 over the 2 years Ive had it.
    Chris said this can happen either way sometimes; up or down.

I dont think temp surfing is as big an issue as it can be on a Silvia.

Remember: Silvia was going to be my choice before deciding on the Leva.

gronk62, FWIW...I recently (read 3 weeks ago) upgraded from a VBM Domobar Levetta to a VBM Domobar Super to ease the pain of steaming...

and was pleasently surprised in the jump in espresso shot quality. I knew the VBM Super would make a better espresso shot but not by that much. Now my shots are consistently more sweeter and tastier.

Same group head, but a better shot, believe it or not! I know its not fair to compare, but I understand that the 2 machines measure brew temp differently - the Super measures boiler pressure as opposed to the Levettas boiler temp. Maybe this accounts for someting...

Javabeen.

The main difference with a HX machine is the ease of the whole process
    Easy to make coffee
    Easy to steam milk
    Easy to clean

Did I mention easy to steam milk ;)

Gronk its just less stress all round

Find someone that has a HX machine and try it out
    If you canít afford a new one then consider a used one

One good thing is that your Pullman tamper for the Silvia is 58mm and will fit the E61 58mm baskets

KK

Silvia with an E61 grouphead *:-?

So you want a PITA with one of these?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Col link=1226216242/0#3 date=1226228475

Cheers,
    Col.
    I disagree Col,

The thermal mass of the e-61 brings with it temperature stability and we proved it over the weekend in Sydney running multiple Scace shots with the VBM Domobar Vashetta. No malibu required ;)

The VBM is adjustable via the inbuilt rheostat and when correctly set up, will give you brilliant performance. It isnt HX and for me on a daily basis, thats a deal breaker- but for someone prepared to manage this type of machine its brilliant. We saw some vairation, so Ill be running each Vashetta I see here onwards through the same test protocol. I think its needed.

I am also getting terrific performance out of my Diadema Perfetta (car boot machine). The Perfetta is configured more like a Silvia with high and low temp thermostats, but even then, the group head makes it perform at a whole different level to the Silvia. If you wanted to go to the nth degree and PID, the installation on a Perfetta would be pretty much identical to a Silvia but way OTT in my opinion.

Chris

Hey thanks for the advice all.

I went into the local coffee boutique yesterday and checked out some of the fancy shmancy machines they have in stock and I reckon I could handle one of those sittin on my bench. Dunno if my wife would agree though ;D

Whopping jump in price though. $750 for my Silvia. $2200+ for some of the fancy ones. Thats about 3 times the price. Is the coffee from these machine 3 times as good as is possible from a Silvia?

TC

Hi Gronk,

Sounds like youre describing the Diadema Perfetta and Viviemme Domobar Vashetta (Piccolo/Levetta) to me. These dual purpose single boiler e-61 machines operate like a Silvia and they will give you plenty of change out of $2k and great temperature stability. They look terrific too! 8-)

I hear those Talk Coffee guys sell em (as well as a few of the other sponsors). Their prices will be better than the "local boutique" as well...;)
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by javabeen link=1226216242/0#6 date=1226404561
    gronk62, FWIW...I recently (read 3 weeks ago) upgraded from a VBM Domobar Levetta to a VBM Domobar Super to ease the pain of steaming...

and was pleasently surprised in the jump in espresso shot quality. I knew the VBM Super would make a better espresso shot but not by that much. Now my shots are consistently more sweeter and tastier.

Same group head, but a better shot, believe it or not! I know its not fair to compare, but I understand that the 2 machines measure brew temp differently - the Super measures boiler pressure as opposed to the Levettas boiler temp. Maybe this accounts for someting...

Javabeen.
    hey javabeen

interesting that you noticed a difference in ESPRESSO qualty between single boiler and HX. i have not played with eiether machine you have had but wonder what may have contributed to the better espresso? different temp maybe?
    what are your thoughts? from memory, reading older posts re the espresso extraction on e61 hx v e61 single boiler, i cant recall there being a sig. diff in the shots produced by each..
    hhmmm

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1226216242/0#11 date=1226471047
    Sounds like youre describing the Diadema Perfetta and Viviemme Domobar Vashetta (Piccolo/Levetta) to me. These dual purpose single boiler e-61 machines operate like a Silvia and they will give you plenty of change out of $2k and great temperature stability. They look terrific too! *8-)

I hear those Talk Coffee guys sell em (as well as a few of the other sponsors). Their prices will be better than the "local boutique" as well...;)
    Chris
    mmmmmmm... way to dangle the carrot Chris!

And at affordable and sensible prices too

I think I can feel the upgrade bug starting to bite again

Hes a bad man dangling all his bling in front of you like that. *;D. Id have a tough time deciding now that there are 2 options being promoted in roughly the same price category (give or take a couple of hundred). However, I assume the full S/S option on the right side is now quickly approaching the $2K mark. Appearance wise, the left one does look like it has a bit more attention to detail, but the right one is just downright sexy (if one is permitted to describe a coffee machine in those terms).... ::)

Site Sponsor

I suppose the Isomac Zaffiro will be the way to go since this machine is a good choices this days since is under $1,500. and is a E61 and full S/S

A smorgasbord of options... Decisions, decisions...;)

Quote Originally Posted by Buschy link=1226216242/0#16 date=1226486977
    A smorgasbord of choices... ;)

Am reading a review about this machine right now http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/zaffiro/details :)

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/0#17 date=1226487076

Am reading a review about this machine right now http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/zaffiro/details *:)
    And also the full review he did here http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/isomaczaffiro

Ive ruled this machine out due to the long warm up time. Not convenient.
    I can cheat Silvia in under 15 mins, but up to half an hour warm up is ok. Any longer is just not convenient, and yes I know I could use a timer. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/0#18 date=1226492688
    Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/0#17 date=1226487076

Am reading a review about this machine right now http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/zaffiro/details *:)
    And also the full review he did here http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/isomaczaffiro

Ive ruled this machine out due to the long warm up time. Not convenient.
    I can cheat Silvia in under 15 mins, but up to half an hour warm up is ok. Any longer is just not convenient, and yes I know I could use a timer. *:)
    Uhh ... hate to break the news to you, but all of these e61 single boiler machines are going to warm up similarly.

Cheers,

Luca

Also G62,

Youve got to be careful comparing U.S. specd machines against those specd by Aussie importers. The detail specification will likely be different and as a result, will lead to differing performances between otherwise identical machines made for each market... No doubt Ofra or Renzo can give you a detailed comparo between the Oz and U.S. machines.

Mal.

TC

Hi Gronk,

You will be able to "cheat" any of these machines in the same way as you cheat a Silvia- dont expect a god shot though as anything with an e-61 group will realistically want 30min.

Also, beware the time switch with this type of machine. They dont auto-fill and and a leak from a partially open wand or you forget to prime the boiler after the previous use and you can be looking at element replacement.

I like all of the machines mentioned. One thing which sets the Perfetta apart from the VBM is that there is an inspection plate under the machine through which a cooked element may be replaced- 15 min job.

If this happens in a VBM or Silvia, you either remove the boiler and replace the element (1 hr) or replace the whole boiler (Silvia) and this can be pricey.

I have not seen the Zaffiro up close and cant comment on its configuration but for me the ease of repair of the Perfetta probably justifies a few more $$ if the Zaffiro does not have an inspection cover.

My second crack FWIW....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1226216242/0#19 date=1226495378

Uhh ... hate to break the news to you, but all of these e61 single boiler machines are going to warm up similarly.

Cheers,

Luca
    Bugger! I didnt know that. I guess for my intended use that pretty much rues out an E61 machine.

Back to plan A, which is to PID the Silvia.....once the exchange rate makes it affordable again. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/20#22 date=1226551110
    I guess for my intended use that pretty much rues out an E61 machine.
    Please explain "intended use".

TC

Bugger! *I didnt know that. I guess for my intended use that pretty much rues out an E61 machine.

Back to plan A, which is to PID the Silvia.....once the exchange rate makes it affordable again. *:)
    Hi Gronk,

If you rule out a 30min warm up period, you had better rule out the Silvia and in fact all machines which have a boiler for that matter.

Your only option will be to head down the thermoblock route- and even they should be warmed.....

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1226216242/20#23 date=1226552282
    I work various casual jobs and am in and out of the house at varying times of the day so I cant leave the machine switched on all day as often theres nobody here to supervise active electrical appliances. Safety issues apply here.

Mornings are ok as I just get up early enough to allow time for a warm up before my daily breakfast coffee fest.

But arriving home at other various times on the day when I dont have time to wait for long warm ups creates a bit of a problem.
    Cheating the warm up on Silvia gives me reasonable coffees in about 15 mins but like Chris says half an hour or more is better. :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/20#25 date=1226554296
    ....but arriving home at other various times on the day when I dont have time to wait for long warm ups creates a bit of a problem.

Cheating the warm up on Silvia gives me reasonable coffees in about 15 mins but like Chris says half an hour or more is better. * :)
    You will find that EXACTLY the same situation applies with a single boiler e-61 machine Gronk.....

One thought may be to bite the HX bullet. These auto fill and can more safely be left switched on....

My personal opinion is that its also a more logical upgrade from a Silvia....

Chris

I have thought about safety issues before with my FAEMA but I just keep mine on 24/7...there isnt much to catch on fire even if the control box went up...its all steel and brass so it could be contained. Has anyone every seen a large commercial catch on fire and what happens....cant see enough combustible material to worry about. There is only microvolts going to the electronic volumetric switches. The control box is located up several inches above the steel chassis under a stainless drip tray and inside a steel box...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1226216242/20#26 date=1226554493
    One thought may be to bite the HX bullet. These auto fill and can more safely be left switched on....
    Ill have a bit of a read up on those Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1226216242/0#12 date=1226481764
    hey javabeen

interesting that you noticed a difference in ESPRESSO qualty between single boiler and HX. i have not played with eiether machine you have had but wonder what may have contributed to the better espresso? different temp maybe?
    what are your thoughts? from memory, reading older posts re the espresso extraction on e61 hx v e61 single boiler, i cant recall there being a sig. diff in the shots produced by each..
    hhmmm
    I think bigger boiler makes a difference and also the pressurestat.

The bigger boiler...imagine dropping an ice cube in a bucket of water as opposed to a glass of water. The temp of the water in the bucket is going to be less affected than the temp of the water in the glass. The Super has a 2.7 ltr boiler! Thats massive for home use I reckon. The Levetta has a 750ml boiler, 3.6 times smaller.

As for the pressurestat - maybe Chris from Talk Coffee can elaborate on how this impacts brew tremp more than a thermostat, or anyone else who knows about them?

I would go the HX route as opposed the Levetta if you already have a Silvia. The LEvetta is a sideways step from a Silvia whereas a DB Super is a jump up.

My 2 cents.

JB - your point about the size of the boiler WILL impact shots, but mainly in reference to pulling multiple shots.

i wonder if there would be a significant difference between 2 e-61s (one single boiler dual purpose and one HX) for ONE shot, pulled after an hours warm up, and a blank double pulled before each (and assuming theyre running at the same temp, max brew pressure, and same baskets)

dunno, Ill wait for Chris too...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1226216242/20#30 date=1226557861
    JB - your point about the size of the boiler WILL impact shots, but mainly in reference to pulling multiple shots.

i wonder if there would be a significant difference between 2 e-61s (one single boiler dual purpose and one HX) for ONE shot, pulled after an hours warm up, and a blank double pulled before each (and assuming theyre running at the same temp, max brew pressure, and same baskets)

My instinct is that the HX will have better control and Roknee is correct that a larger boiler will be an asset across multiple shots and short recovery periods- often irrelevant to home users....

In the case of the single boiler, the configuration appears to be either 2 x thermostat (each containing bimetallic strips) or adjustable rheostat and a steam thermostat. In an e-61 machine the group will also contribute to thermal stability. There is no control board (in those I have seen).

On the weekend we ran the scace over 2 x VBM Vashetta and got great results.

In a HX machine, you have a sensitive pressurestat monitoring boiler pressure. This communicates with the control board which switches the element on/off according to the upper and lower limits of the pressurestat.

My rusty science memory reminds me that temp is related to pressure too. We got terrific results from the Giotto PP on the weekend. It didnt matter too much whether a cooling flush was used or not.

The interesting thing is that if you look at the shot profiles, you get- to choose a few recent examples:[*]DC mini- flat line profile from shot to shot- matters not what you do....[*]GPP- A stepped profile with a small consistent drop in temp part way through the shot[*]VBM Domobar Vasshetta- a little more lumpy, but still consistent from shot to shot across at least 6 shots (which is where we stopped testing on all logged machines)

In the cup, from the 3 mentioned, I feel that the GPP profile contributes to a "richer" cup....but thats waaaay subjective and is certainly not the result of blind testing.

Hope that helps....

Chris

i wonder if there would be a significant difference between 2 e-61s (one single boiler dual purpose (VBM vashetta) and one HX (VBM DS)) for ONE shot, pulled after an hours warm up, and a blank double pulled before each (and assuming theyre running at the same temp, max brew pressure, same baskets and the same monkey pulling the shots)

thanks chris - did help but what about the above Q? care to have a stab?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1226216242/20#32 date=1226567420
    i wonder if there would be a significant difference between 2 e-61s (one single boiler dual purpose (VBM vashetta) and one HX (VBM DS)) for ONE shot, pulled after an hours warm up, and a blank double pulled before each (and assuming theyre running at the same temp, max brew pressure, same baskets and the same monkey pulling the shots)

thanks chris - did help but what about the above Q? care to have a stab?
    Correctly setup, I doubt it...but who knows....Sounds like a Scace off once the Talk Coffee shed is up and running... ;-)

C

Im letting my tatse buds do the talking here. I put through some Ethiopian Yirg on the VBM Levetta before I unpacked and setup the VBM Super. The taste difference was obvious between the 2. Thats just my opinion and I know others will come up with reasons why. You might say that my perceptions were altered because I had just got the VBM Super but my friend also said the shots were much much better.

In the 3 weeks Ive had the machine, the shots have just been better. Sweeter, more body, hotter, tastier. The espresso drinkers who come over also say it.

I guess theres only one way to tell for certain...maybe Chris can include a taste off as part of the Scace off...Id like to see/taste that!

Dont get me wrong, I love the Levetta and was overjoyed with it for the time I owned it and would pick it/recommend it over the Silvia any day. All Im saying is the difference between it and the VBM Super has in my opinion been a big jump up for me. Im not sure whether its fare to compare it to a HX machine costing twice as much though. And if a Scace off does prove there to be little difference in just ONE shot, then thats excellent as the Levetta is a ripper of a machine...so long as you only drink that ONE shot and dont want another one after it which will be hard if the espresso tastes sooo good *;)

JB.

Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1226216242/20#25 date=1226554296
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1226216242/20#23 date=1226552282
    I work various casual jobs and am in and out of the house at varying times of the day so I cant leave the machine switched on all day as often theres nobody here to supervise active electrical appliances. Safety issues apply here.

Mornings are ok as I just get up early enough to allow time for a warm up before my daily breakfast coffee fest.

But arriving home at other various times on the day when I dont have time to wait for long warm ups creates a bit of a problem.
    Cheating the warm up on Silvia gives me reasonable coffees in about 15 mins but like Chris says half an hour or more is better. * :)
    I read somwhere once about connecting your machine to the internet.
    Then you can log in and switch it on.

I think these days you can also plug it into a power point connected to the phone line so that you can ring your coffee machine to tell it youre on your way home.............
    Found it!
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bernard/phone.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1226216242/20#35 date=1226573622
    I think these days you can also plug it into a power point connected to the phone line so that you can ring your coffee machine to tell it youre on your way home.............
    Found it!
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bernard/phone.html
    Cool gadget!

I usually send a text to my wife (if shes home) that says "silvia please" ;D

First time I did it I got a message back asking who the hell Silvia was :D

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1226216242/0#19 date=1226495378

Cheers,

Luca
    Bugger! *I didnt know that. I guess for my intended use that pretty much rues out an E61 machine.

Back to plan A, which is to PID the Silvia.....once the exchange rate makes it affordable again. *:)

If you fold up a nice thick tea towel and put it over the group head, it heats up in about 20 mins :)

Cheers

I drape my barista cloth over the grouphead and cups in the warming tray. This heats the grouphead quite nicely within 20 mins plus properly warms the cups I intend to use.

Don forget - you have a heat gun ;)

Quote Originally Posted by runfast link=1226216242/20#39 date=1226626872
    Don forget - you have a heat gun *;)
    *that would a funny vision, standing there heatin the group head with a heat gun

In the 3 weeks Ive had the machine, the shots have just been better. Sweeter, more body, hotter, tastier. The espresso drinkers who come over also say it.

If you can feel a heat difference in the cup between the two machines, then that will make a great difference in the taste of the extractions--and this could well be just an adjustment issue.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregWormald link=1226216242/40#41 date=1226655224
    If you can feel a heat difference in the cup between the two machines, then that will make a great difference in the taste of the extractions--and this could well be just an adjustment issue.

Greg
    Well I got both my machines from Talk Coffee and Chris bench tested and calibrated both of them. So I wouldnt think there should be much difference.

So it would appear that the boiler size does make a difference to the shot quality in an e61? ;) At least in my experience between the Levetta and the Super. I know it shouldnt matter for just one shot, but with cooling flushes and all its got to have an impact even on a single shot.

Javabeen.