Thread: Wanting to buy Isomac Tea or similar

Wanting to buy Isomac Tea or similar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Im after an isomac Tea or *similar in Melbourne.

Doesnt "Have" to be in Melb im not oppose to having it sent to me.

Could one of the sponsors please PM me?

Cheers
    Squirrel :)

TC

Re: Isomac Tea

Hi Squirrelgrip and welcome...

Best bet to use the email all sponsors button over yonder <<<<<<

Might I suggest that you also look also at the Diadema Regal 1.3L.

Its a vastly superior machine in build and performance IMHO and is available at prices very close to the Isomac...Site sponsors Jetblack, CosmoreX and Talk Coffee all sell Diadema.

Dont forget to keep $$$ free for a good grinder, training and accessories as required....

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm

Well aware of the need for a good grinder, tamper etc *:)

I would rather buy my next coffee machine from a sponsor that actively supports CS (one who posts to the site) rather than one who just advertises. Current economic climate being what it is. If they want to sell a machine badly enough then they can contact me Im in no rush. 8-)

Still open to suggestions tho :)

Cheers
    Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by 022024382323343D36233821510 link=1244880931/2#2 date=1244891909
    I would rather buy my next coffee machine from a sponsor that actively supports CS (one who posts to the site) rather than one who just advertises. Current economic climate being what it is. If they want to sell a machine badly enough then they can contact me Im in no rush. 8-)
    Welcome Squirrel... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thats certainly a different way of doing things :-?

You could determine for yourself which Sponsors post to the CS Forum you know, by checking out each of the Sponsors Profiles... Their posts history can be found there. You can then initiate dealings in accordance with your findings and establish a rapport on your own terms. Seems like a friendlier approach to me :)

All the best,
    Mal.

Site Sponsor

Re: Wanting to buy Isomac Tea or similar

Squirrel:

They are 3 sponsors that sell Isomacs Obscure, Di Bella and Di Bartoli

Quote Originally Posted by 664B4F434E220 link=1244880931/3#3 date=1244901020
    You could determine for yourself which Sponsors post to the CS Forum you know, by checking out each of the Sponsors Profiles... Their posts history can be found there. You can then initiate dealings in accordance with your findings and establish a rapport on your own terms. Seems like a friendlier approach to me Smiley
    I agree with Mal, you should check each sponsor.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

is the isomac for sale in used hardware similar - could be a good deal?

I had a laugh
    Certainly is a different way of doing things but I figured that if a sponsor is active then they are lookin at the new posts and willing to put the effort into tracking me down. That way I know they are more interested in my needs and not just a sale. Kinda more cozy for my side of the fence. There is a sort of logic to it ;)

And im being a tad lazy you could say ive been lurkin for a while and I am sooooooo busy at the moment and the yellowpages web site is as close to useless as the whereis maps are when you are wanting to go to a country town using your satnav......oh they are the same company ;)
    I just dont have time to make the phone calls waste a few days tracking down and looking at individual stores. On top of all that I want to support those sponsors that are supporting CS with info and passion as well as $$$. I am looking at the posts of those who contact me.

Gonna drop in to see Chris (Coffee Talk) on Saturday. He comes highly recommended according to one CS member who PMd me. :) (That is the exactly why I took this approach. you tend to get those members who have or havent had a good expreience with a certain retailer saying "hey check this guy out")

Chris has pretty much talked me into looking at a Diadema Regal 1.3L .

Tho Ill be talking to Di Bartoliwho just PMd me, too and doing some research on both machines.

Ill wait to see who else contacts me then Ill make a decision.

Once I get my new toy ill post pickies

Squirrel

FWIW Id highly recommend Diadema :) Ive been having a great time playing with my new toy and shes got amazing build-quality and the espresso is incredible.. too many coffees.. 4 today.. arghh! :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 505F55435446310 link=1244880931/7#7 date=1244974651
    FWIW Id highly recommend Diadema :) Ive been having a great time playing with my new toy and shes got amazing build-quality and the espresso is incredible.. too many coffees.. 4 today.. arghh! :D
    Hi Andrew,

Im glad that you like the Diadema. I think the build quality of the Regal is truely stunning.

Enjoy...and keep in mind that its ok just to taste. You dont have to drink every single drop ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 4075787F4B577B72727171140 link=1244880931/8#8 date=1244975582
    ...its ok just to taste. You dont have to drink every single drop ;)
    Isnt that sacrilege in these circles?
    Burn the witch!

Reading the reviews and looking at the specs of the machines the Tea has a stainless boiler is this any real advantage?

The Tea it would seem requires the head flushing before the shot is pulled to drop the temp of the water initally flowing through the group. But otherwise rates extremely well

Is this the same for all machines with the e61 group?

The Diadema does come highly recomended from a trusted source and has excellent build quality.

Least ive narrowed it down to 2. ::)

Squirel

Quote Originally Posted by 4664607C6767707972677C65150 link=1244880931/10#10 date=1245075281
    Since my last service I havent needed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4466627E6565727B70657E67170 link=1244880931/10#10 date=1245075281
    Reading the reviews and looking at the specs of the machines the Tea has a stainless boiler is this any real advantage?
    Not really one way or the other mate. It can even be a disadvantage where Chlorine levels in the water used can lead to corrosion of the s/s in certain circumstances. Namely, at elevated temperatures and pressures of the kind found in an espresso machine Boiler. If you opt for one of these mate, it is just something to be aware of. You would need to use non-chlorinated water....

Quote Originally Posted by 4466627E6565727B70657E67170 link=1244880931/10#10 date=1245075281
    The Tea it would seem requires the head flushing before the shot is pulled to drop the temp of the water initally flowing through the group. But otherwise rates extremely well

Its pretty well guaranteed for all Heat eXchanger (HX) machines Squirrel due to the inherent design of the hydraulic system.

The Diadema does come highly recomended from a trusted source and has excellent build quality.
    I can vouch for that... ;D

Mal.

Interesting.

Lookng forward to seeing Chris on Saturday.

Mind you if you were to let water sit in an open container for 24 hours or so that would take care of most of the chlorine issue.

Still food for thought as I really cant be bothered letting it sit. :D

Ron

I have had a Tea for over 12 months and its has given me fantastic service. I bought the machine from a site sponsor (Pedro at Coffee Parts) who although keeping a rather low profile here is a great guy to deal with.

And yes I looked at Diademas, Bezzeras, VBMs, Giottos etc - all fabulous machines, but I thought the Tea was by far the best value for money (particularly if you can get a good deal).

Could I make a suggestion here - I have no problem with people extolling the the virtues of the brands they stock but I prefer if they leave comments on brands they do not stock to less public forums.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 447978160 link=1244880931/14#14 date=1245108094
    Could I make a suggestion here - *I have no problem with people extolling the the virtues of the brands they stock but I prefer if they leave comments on brands they do not stock to less public forums.
    Interesting comment Idler...The same might be said about owners...but then wed have nothing to talk about here... :P

Id think that most/all sponsors evaluate a range of brands and then choose those that they consider best match their customer demographic. A range of criteria would most likely be evaluated. Chances are that sponsors might have a better understanding of nuances and that those of particular brands can be discussed in a meeting or over the phone....

2mcm

Ah its the way this site and other like it work.

It does draw people like you out of the wood work to lift up or put down the thier experience with thier machine.

I like th estyling of the Tea more than the Diadema Regal but that is a minor issue i think.

My suggestion is to view a potential machine in person
    There is no substitute for running your hands & eyes over it, to feel how it operates

Check if the stainless steel panels are rolled for strength, IMHO an indication of build quality

Do the home machines use similar or the same fittings than the commercial models

While visiting Chris @ Talk Coffee ask to see the Bezzera BZ 07 as its also in the ballpark price of the Tea

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 162B2A440 link=1244880931/14#14 date=1245108094
    I have no problem with people extolling the the virtues of the brands they stock but I prefer if they leave comments on brands they do not stock to less public forums.
    Id like to know why they decided not to stock them if theres a problem with them.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar

Ill give a huge thumbs up for the Regal 1.3l - brilliant machine, great build, very happy with ours. There are lots of great machines around - this one is just built like a tank with some great features I really appreciate (like no leak water tank!). But have fun with whatever you decide!
    I must admit, I am very quickly learning too that the greatest weakness (or strength!!) in any machine is the bit behind the handle - I used an old Saeco a fair bit over the weekend at a friends house, and with a few changes in my technique managed to move the brews from initially weak and watery to pretty passable (though all with preground - there is only so hard you can realistically tamp ;D), and with nice microfoam after the dodgy plastic steam wand mangler was removed...
    - but I was still glad to return to the Regal!

Have a great day all!

I had a laugh
    Well aware of the "Nut" that holds the porta filter factor.

Not to be confused with the "Nut" that holds the jug ::)

And the Hands on thing will probably play a real big part in the final decision.

Ive decided against the Bezzera BZ07 as its group not quite standard and I dont like the look of it but that is just me.

The E61 group apart from its strengths looks so darn cool. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 123034283333242D26332831410 link=1244880931/20#20 date=1245119323
    The E61 group apart from its strengths looks so darn cool. 8-)
    Cant argue about that
    The E61 is one artistic piece of great engineering

KK

Trying to decide if going to the 2L boiler is worth the extra $$$ I suspect not considering the amount of coffee I drink.

Getting a new coffee toy is an exercise in frustration as you can only drink so much coffee before strange caffeine induced things start to happen. :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 0527233F2424333A31243F26560 link=1244880931/22#22 date=1245121173
    Trying to decide if going to the 2L boiler is worth the extra $$$ I suspect not considering the amount of coffee I drink.

Getting a new coffee toy is an exercise in frustration as you can only drink so much coffee before strange caffeine induced things start to happen. :D
    Hi Squirrel,

Just like cars... A 1.3L and a 5L will get you there!

I have used a Junior Semi-auto to do coffee for 50 at a party. it was a breeze. If youre only ever doing a a few cups, you will be unlikely to see any difference whatsoever... ;)

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 7D5F5B475C5C4B42495C475E2E0 link=1244880931/22#22 date=1245121173
    I went through the same thing. I made the decision at the time partly on money saved - but now Im using my machine a couple of times a day the extra size has become a moot point. The 1.3l refreshes so quickly it makes it almost irrelevant - theres no point frothing milk for 4-6 cups at a time, when you cant get 4-6 shots out of the machine while youre doing it! Also, I never timed it, but I think steaming time must be exponential - 2x 300ml jugs seems to steam faster that 1x 600ml - maybe due to boiler pressure dropping the longer it is on? I found trying (only once mind you!) to steam 750ml or so at once for some hot chocs took forever.. multiple smaller jugs is far easier.

It would be different in a cafe - but these home machines are too physically small for multiple people to use simultaneously anyway!

Happy shopping!

I had a laugh

Try doing more than 2 on a Silvia gotta be better than that.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1F32363A375B0 link=1244880931/12#12 date=1245078267
    Not really one way or the other mate. It can even be a disadvantage where Chlorine levels in the water used can lead to corrosion of the s/s in certain circumstances. Namely, at elevated temperatures and pressures of the kind found in an espresso machine
    Boiler. If you opt for one of these mate, it is just something to be aware of. You would need to use non-chlorinated water....
    Interesting...Im sure many Cafe owners that use a La Marzocco machine are not aware of that advise...have you heard any comment from LM owners regarding corrosion? Some of those machines go through more than 50kg a week ....

Quote Originally Posted by 69362E383338343D3D3E3E363A355B0 link=1244880931/1#1 date=1244882726
    Its a vastly superior machine in build and performance IMHO *
    You must have finally got the opportunity to play with one then..thats great! you must have noticed the great quality S/S built, the re-designed steam & water tap, the cool-to-touch steam & hot water wands, the prominent location of the 2 separate pressure gauges on top and the Giotto style knobs? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 7052564A5151464F44514A53230 link=1244880931/25#25 date=1245128662
    Try doing more than 2 on a Silvia gotta be better than that.
    Yeah, Ive used a Silvia before - great machine when they get moving - but the Regal can have milk for two cups complete about 20 secs after the shot is pulled, again and again and again - its a whole new world!

Quote Originally Posted by 7D50667B584B4D565550390 link=1244880931/26#26 date=1245129169
    Quote Originally Posted by 1F32363A375B0 link=1244880931/12#12 date=1245078267
    Not really one way or the other mate. It can even be a disadvantage where Chlorine levels in the water used can lead to corrosion of the s/s in certain circumstances. Namely, at elevated temperatures and pressures of the kind found in an espresso machine
    Boiler. If you opt for one of these mate, it is just something to be aware of. You would need to use non-chlorinated water....
    Interesting...Im sure many Cafe owners that use a La Marzocco machine are not aware of that advise...have you heard any comment from LM owners regarding corrosion? Some of those machines go through more than 50kg a week ....

Quote Originally Posted by 69362E383338343D3D3E3E363A355B0 link=1244880931/1#1 date=1244882726
    Its a vastly superior machine in build and performance IMHO *
    Dont most LM cafes - or even most cafes, use filters before their machine supplies?

The std filters Ive seen for CM use with reduced scaling are also GAC cartridges so would remove nearly all chlorine in most water supplies in australia .

Quote Originally Posted by 6B46706D4E5D5B4043462F0 link=1244880931/26#26 date=1245129169
    Funny you should mention the LM machines....

A cafe in Toowoomba (about 90Kms North of us) that had two LM machines in service, suffered Boiler Failure for this very reason. Pin-holes resulting from corrosion of the Boiler from the inside out led to this situation and perhaps the owners were not made aware of the need to use non-chlorinated water. Either way, the Boilers in both machines had to be replaced and Im sure the owners now use non-chlorinated water or suitable filtering to totally remove it.

Lots of information on the Net about this sort of problem if you do a search... :)

Mal.

TC

I remember hearing of a couple of Synessos that had issues as well. Whether that was rumour or fact, I am uncertain.

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 1D425A4C474C4049494A4A424E412F0 link=1244880931/30#30 date=1245143955
    I remember hearing of a couple of Synessos that had issues as well. Whether that was rumour or fact, I am uncertain.

2mcm
    Fact--talk to Mark at The Coffee Barun!

Greg

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 5D454C5F404C4F42542D0 link=1244880931/28#28 date=1245138360
    The std filters Ive seen for CM use with reduced scaling are also GAC cartridges so would remove nearly all chlorine in most water supplies in australia . *
    Thats very true. Most standard filters used in a commercial environment would remove also 99% of the chlorine in the water. We recommend using filtered water with all the machines we sell exactly from that reason. It is not only scale they remove, but also sediments, cyst, dirt, rust, algae, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, lead and other chemicals.

More about the need to use filter water is available in the advice provided by Bernard from Bombora on water filtration: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245022812

Quote Originally Posted by 6944404C412D0 link=1244880931/29#29 date=1245142562
    A cafe in Toowoomba (about 90Kms North of us) that had two LM machines in service, suffered Boiler Failure for this very reason. Pin-holes resulting from corrosion of the Boiler from the inside out led to this situation and perhaps the owners were not made aware of the need to use non-chlorinated water. Either way, the Boilers in both machines had to be replaced and Im sure the owners now use non-chlorinated water or suitable filtering to totally remove it.
    It sounds like either they did not use filter water at all or havent replaced it often enough. I wouldnt be surprised if in conjunction with corrosion (that most probably was evident on joints / nuts rather than on the actual steel surface) the boiler was heavily scaled.

Theres a discussion also on Coffee Geek with regards to LM steam valve clogging from milk being sucked back. Occasionally that can lead to contaminated boiler which is an expensive exercise, often handled with a boiler replacement, rather than cleaning. Could that have been the case?

Ofra

The machines were less than 18 Mths old Ofra when the first leak was noticed and I surmise that the owners were either not informed of the necessity to use non-chlorinated water (via filtering or alternatives) or ignored the advice. Thats as much as I know though, the whys and wherefores are up for speculation but it bears out the need for owners of s/s Boiler machines to be particularly vigilant where the use of water that may contain Chlorine is a possibility... :-?

Information in laymans terms here... http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177 Read the section under sub-heading Pitting Corrosion...

Mal.

So does copper suffer from pitting corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by 5F7D79657E7E69606B7E657C0C0 link=1244880931/34#34 date=1245217536
    So does copper suffer from pitting corrosion?
    Nope! And neither does Brass....

Mal.

Considering the machine wont be left on like in a cafe *and I was to use filtered water.

The pitting corrosion wouldnt be an issue would it?

Quote Originally Posted by 321014081313040D06130811610 link=1244880931/36#36 date=1245288293
    Considering the machine wont be left on like in a cafe *and I was to use filtered water.

The pitting corrosion wouldnt be an issue would it?
    In the presence of chlorine/chlorides... Yes

Just need to make sure all chlorine and its compounds are removed if using tap water. Id contact Bernard of Bombora and ask him what you could do to ensure safe water for a s/s Boiler machine...

Mal.

One word ......Giotto

Woo hoo

Got it from the lovley folx at (edit- some random non-sponsor) in Melborune.

And yes Im a hypocryt but they are Just setting up a new retail store and they gave us a great deal. *:o

Off to play with our new toy. 8-)

Ill post picks in a few days

thanks for ya help

Squirrel

The point of this thread is pretty much moot. As I now own a Giotto.

But the supposed corrosion caused by chlorinated water in domestic coffee machines with stainless boilers has been bugging me.

I was looking at the water tank in my Giotto and it occurred to me that as the Chlorine in the water naturally dissipates into the atmosphere and that I would uses about 200 ml a day. I suspect that the dissipation is even faster if the water is warm. Which it is if the machine has been left on for a while about 35 - 40 deg.

Even if I were not to use filtered water there would be stuff all Chlorine in the water by the time it got into the boiler. So the pitting corrosion would be negligible.

Remember Im talking about a domestic model here with an internal water tank not a plumbed one that gets its water directly from the town supply.

In short I got talked out of an Isomac for no good reason. And there was something about the heat exchanger being poorly designed if this was the case why would the Isomacs rate so well on coffeegeek and other sites. The Tea 2 gets raving reviews which is essentially what is sold in Australia, obviously modified for our safety standards.

Mind you I love my Giotto and havent regretted buying it so in a way Im kinda glad I was talked out of a Tea :-?

The only Gak moment *Ive had was when someone said to me "Oh you are now a member of the Giotto owners club" shudder as if thats why I brought it. *>:(

I also wanted to see one in the flesh and there was no one i could find in Melbourne that was open the Saturday I had $$$$ in my pocket and wanted to take a machine home. Its kind of nerve racking walking around with $3000 in your pocket.

You know the kind of nervousness that can only be relieved by a shot of really good coffee just pulled from the shiny new coffee machine sitting on your kitchen bench. ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7755514D5656414843564D54240 link=1244880931/39#39 date=1246282656
    You know the kind of nervousness that can only be relieved by a shot of really good coffee just pulled from the shiny new coffee machine sitting on your kitchen bench. ;)
    Good stuff squirrelgrip...

Regardless of what you read, you chose the right machine for you and are happy with its performance and thats what its all about- be it Giotto, Isomac, Ferrari or an old billy.

Many of us get pent up on small nuances, perceived thermostability etc...Bottom line is that the vast majority of HX machines do the job really well and place great results in the cup. We buy the one we like.

I think that youre probably right when it comes to chlorine, tanked machines and tap water. More important for us is scale.

Enjoy your new kit ;)

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 597B7F6378786F666D78637A0A0 link=1244880931/39#39 date=1246282656
    "Oh you are now a member of the Giotto owners club"
    Well I must say a hearty congratulations. It is my unbiased opinion that you made an excellent choice ;)

May I send you an application to join the "Unostentatious Giotto owner but having a hard time wiping the smile off my face" Club? :)

I agree with 2mcms comments (except for the old billy bit).

I had a laugh
    Yeah *Its kinda weird I have a coffee set up people drool over but dont really like being labeled.

Im the type that when buying pre roasted, which I do when I cant be bothered roasting any, I either *wont let on or will say "Oh a Sunbeam" if asked and watch the sales dudes eyes glaze over while smiling quietly to myself.

Been caught out doing that when I had my Silvia / Rocky tho this particular guy asked a few probing questions tried to sell me some shiny piece of Italian engineering and i had to fess up.This guy was smart enough to inquire when I didnt want it ground. Busted big time.

In the end tho we couldnt be happier with the Giotto and Mini so it sorta worked out and the possible corrosion thing hadnt even crossed my mind. Tho I am thinking it would not have been an issue for quite along time.

Now tho Ill have to put it all in the will as my 3 older *and youngest all like coffee. My 18 month old can really throw quite a tanty if she doesnt get a taste of the foam and she is smart enough to know the brown foam tastes the best and will look in the cup to see if we are telling fibs if we say its all gone. *::)

Re: chlorine

1. Sure chlorine dissipates fairly rapidly if the water sits. If it sits in your tank inside the machine, where does it go?
    2. Lots of Australian water treatment now uses chloramines, which dont disperse rapidly at all, and yet still attack stainless when heated.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 52677072427A6778747971150 link=1244880931/43#43 date=1246359763
    1. Sure chlorine dissipates fairly rapidly if the water sits. If it sits in your tank inside the machine, where does it go?
    Up out of the top of the water tank into the atmosphere. Which isnt exactly sealed and on the Giotto is the full length of the tank.

I admit I am no expert and could be quite wrong but I know for fish tanks you can just let the water sit but in this case you would have an air stone running and in my many years of aquarium running I had never had a mass die out cause by Chlorine heater failier yes Chlorine no.

Lots of assumptions being made here for the existence or otherwise of chlorine and its compounds remaining in solution within the Boiler.

There can be no hard and fast rule that will apply to all machine designs be they Plumbed-in or Tank models. For example, some Tank machines use a tank with quite a small opening into which one must pour the water. This would retard the dissipation of free Chlorine back into the atmosphere. I am in no way familiar with the design of Isomac machines and the tank design used in their machines. Greg mentions Chloramine as one of the Chlorine compounds being used, mainly because it is more economical and remains dissolved in water for far longer than pure Chlorine gas.

It is still very valid for anyone who owns a machine utilising a s/s Boiler, that they filter the water prior to putting it in their machine. As I mentioned above, if you have any concerns, contact Bernard of Bombora and he will be able to advise you of the best method to overcome the problem, particularly in the case of Chloramine dosed water supplies...

Heres some more info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloram...ater_treatment

Cheers,
    Mal.

Guys, as an engineer, Stainless Steels are some of the most corrosion resistant materials avaialble. However, even small parts of chlorine are known to cause havoc- elevated temperatures above as low as 50 deg C (I am not 100% sure, its been 2 decades since Uni) just make it worse. So Stainless is OK, but get rid of the chlorine or face the music!!

Sorry to come in late, and more sorry to hear you bought from a non-sponsor. I made that mistake once, too (admittedly, that was before I found this site, and found what I thought was a good guy. He was, till he had my money. After that, not so good.)

Luckily I found a much better place to buy from, after that.

Lets hope that your supplier establishes a good business, and you dont have the regrets that I came to have.