Thread: Reasons to upgrade from an Expobar Office Semi Auto?

Reasons to upgrade from an Expobar Office Semi Auto?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday,

The Expobar Office Semi Auto seems like a great hx machine for the price. Im just curious to know why would one want to upgrade from it? I get the vibe from this forum that you might as well invest in a decent machine and grinder rather than continually upgrading. My preference is for milk drinks and the ability to steam and brew at the same time as well as being able to quickly pump out 4-6 milk drinks for dinner guests.

Thanks.

Re: Reasons to upgrade from an Expobar Office Semi Auto?

Upgraditis is a funny disease afflicting CS members in different ways and for different reasons. There is however a common reason driving each affliction, that is the quest for better and more consistent coffee. That said it is an excellent machine which will give years of service IMHO.

Thanks moto coffee.

I just upgraded to an Expobar office control. I wanted the minore III for the pid and twin boilers, but my wife liked having the auto measured shots so she could steam at the same time and not have to worry about the pour.

I have upgraded from a Gaggia classic with pid and silvia steam wand and it has been a great first week with this machine. Still on the learning curve of course but it has the manual button if I want full control over the shot and I have programmed one of the buttons to give me a 200ml cooling flush while i am filling the basket.

I have an Expobar which I bought second hand and have had for about a month, and its a really great machine.

Barrel - I like how you have programmed the cooling flush for one of the buttons, I might steal that idea. I have one button programmed to run for 5secs for when I do a backlfush.

I really enjoy it my office control, but I was at Talk Coffee over the weekend and saw all the shiny new toys and the Minore III and felt that feeling of wanting it (upgraditis). I had to walk away...

I know the feeling, the shiny things always catch my eye too!

The user manual from exppbar isnt great though. There is an automatic backflush cycle that is not explained very well.

To perform the auto backflush, turn the machine off and power it up while holding down the middle button. The machine will then cycle through 5 x 5 second back flushes.

To perform the auto backflush, turn the machine off and power it up while holding down the middle button. The machine will then cycle through 5 x 5 second back flushes.
    The manual sucks, you are right. I couldnt work out what they meant about the auto backflush, thanks for the info.

I really enjoy it my office control, but I was at Talk Coffee over the weekend and saw all the shiny new toys and the Minore III and felt that feeling of wanting it (upgraditis). *I had to walk away...
    Hey andreasb,

what made you want to upgrade Im guessing its not just the fact that its shiny... or maybe it is.... *:)

what made you want to upgrade
    I dont know but you always get that feeling of wanting to upgrade when you see a newer/better version of the product you have. Plus the shiny shiny helps too ;D

I did upgrade to the Expobar from a Caffeteria (stove top) so it will be a while yet (I hope) before upgrade again.

Andreasb that is why I wanted to look for a machine of this level to stop or at least slow down the G.A.S. attack. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome its a common affliction affecting bass players, guitarists and espresso nuts it seems)

I bought the Office Semi-Auto a year ago, and Ive found it very capable. The learning curve was a bit steep to upgrade from my previous machine (cafe roma, breville), but I have so much more fun with this machine. The steam power is nothing short of ridiculous.

I chose this machine, partly because it seemed well priced for the features, and allows you to make coffee with passion, pace and flair that frankly any machine below HX will prohibit in some way. Im not too fussed about automated shot controls, but they would be nice. Pressure guages and PID control would also be nice features, but in reality you can make fantastic coffee without them. The other swinging vote for me was the appearance of the office SA. Ive read many people saying it is ugly, but to me it was one of the few coffee machines that looks natural on the kitchen bench. Its frontal facade is a classic look. I like the shiny metal beasts that show off the E-61 group rather than conceal it, but Im not sure if it is aesthetically pleasing. My friends would never let me hear the end of it - yet another ridiculously elaborate device in my house ;)

I want the minore 3 for the record... one day. Lets face it... who doesnt?

jprm

perhaps one other comment on this machine. Spend the extra couple of bucks and fit a cool touch steam wand. It really is the finishing touch, and the cost is nothing in comparison the overall investment.

Just for future reference my new office control came with the cool touch wand standard. I am not sure when they started this. It also has much smaller feet than the demo model I tried.

Im interested in a Expobar Office as an upgrade from a Sunbeam cheapy - Cafe Ristretto and EMO 450 grinder. Im trying to avoid the upgradeitis everyone here seems to have so my thinking has progressed from Rocky and Sunbeam 6910 to Miss Sylvia now Expobar Office??? *Hopefully something that Ill still be happy with in 5 years + . Could you someone pleased explain what HX is? And how does the Office deal with switch from extraction to steam?

Hi Meggs8

If you do a search (make sure you set the results to be longer than one week) youll find plenty of info about HX machines, but in short a HX machine has one boiler which is heated to steam pressure, plus a tube running through that boiler that goes to the grouphead, so as water passes through the tube it is heated by the steam boiler to the right temperature for extracting espresso.

Cheers

Sniff