Thread: BFC Junior Automatic (aka La Valentina, Diadema, Vittoria)

A_M

BFC Junior Automatic (aka La Valentina, Diadema, Vittoria)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well... What can I say...

;D :D [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] :-*

1: First 4 coffees went straight into the bin :o

Yep... This little machine is not an EM6910 :(

My problem was to get out of what was / had been the norm and re learn all over again. Thanks for the beans Attilio, as I must have been through 300g so far just trying to get it working as I want..

A: Have found that I need to re check and train myself as the the dosing level
    B: Had to make my grind courser (4 clicks on teh rocky)
    C: Tamp with a little more force than I used with the SB...

A re learning of what the machine likes / needs Vs what I expect to see and taste.

As time goes on, I am sure that I will redefine my tastes and how I prepare the raw product..

I also love the fact that;

A: A few screws and she is open for inspection
    B: Warms up reasonable quickly
    C: Steaming and making a coffee at the same time is able to be done
    D: The steam is a vast improvement (over the SB), but not so out there; that it only took a couple of trys and micro foam is available.

And to top it all off, she looks at home and has that traditional Italian look and feel..... My wife is going to hate me 8-)

Mods to date:

1: Wodden group handle fitted
    2: Naked is in progress
    3: Green Indicator to be replaced with a Blue one (on order) :o
    4: Looking for old steam knob to get the brass insert out, so that I can make up a wooden one to match.
    5: Thinking about changing the colour of the power rocker switch...

Now... Must go and make ... Have a go, at making another coffee ;D

NOTE: A big thanks to Attilio and CosmoreX Coffee for putting up with me, while managing any number of their own issues re. moving etc.

Pics will follow later.

Re: BFC Junior Automatic (aka La Valentina, Diadema, Vittoria)

Brilliant!

I would be very interested in your thoughts as to "tuning" the junior, especially as you are teaming it with a Rocky.

I have an almost identical set up... but the junior semi-auto. *It has taken me some weeks and many kilograms off beans to get what I personally think is the perfect shot for my taste preferences.

Im not that technical when it comes to accessories (I don’t have scales or dosing gear etc…). *Ive simply got it down to following "ritual" by trial and error:

Machine warm up - at least 30 minutes prior. *Then followed up with a flush (maybe 50ml) just prior to the grind with the filter locked in.

Beans - I use the standard double basket. *So, as to ensure some consistency with the volume of beans, I’ve taken to using the plastic “scoop” that came with the machine. *I place approx 2 slightly heaped scoops of freshly roasted beans into the Rocky.

Grind – As the Rocky doesn’t have a grind indicator sticker showing the grinder setting (as I bought it new from a second’s distributor and I’m assuming they replaced the damaged hopper). *I’ve now got it "3 clicks” from the finest grinder setting possible.

Dose/Tamp – Dose (into the clean dry basket). *The dose amounts to a pile slightly heaped over rim of the basket… and when tamped, it’s just above the rib of the basket.

Extraction – It’s about 50ml in 25 seconds. *Crème seems to be fine and by all accounts looks and behaves like it should. *With a dry solid puck.

Espresso Taste – I’ve tried 3 or 4 different beans and settled on one supplier in the CBD in Sydney. *It’s almost a sweet creamy flavour that really does linger on the pallet for some time. *I’ve compared this to short blacks at plenty of cafes around Sydney and 9 times out of 10 it’s better than the best I’ve had.

Milk – from the first jug I tried – I produced micro foam immediately. *I canlt see how anyone couldn’t?

So, all in all… I am extremely happy with my new set up. *Yes I too was a SB owner, and still have plenty to learn. *The only problem I have now is that I consume 3 to 5 espresso per day on the week-end and maybe a morning flat white. *I’m literally a twitching ball of hypertension nowadays.

Regards
    Merr1

Quote Originally Posted by 2E26313172430 link=1246171209/1#1 date=1246264087
    I would be very interested in your thoughts as to "tuning" the junior, especially as you are teaming it with a Rocky.
    The rocky is one great grinder especially when the small mods are applied
    It is best suited for grinding to 14 gr of beans
    However I have observed that if you like 20+ gr per filter basket you should do it in 2 stages with a small rest in between

Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209
    Now...Must go and make ... Have a go, at making another coffeeGrin
    Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209
    I must have been through 300g so far just trying to get it working as I want..
    Ahh you are pulling my leg AM
    You know how to make good coffee & 300 gr to dial the new machine in is zilch, nada, nothing ;)

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 1A353C3E29163A353A3C3E363E352F5B0 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209
    3: Green Indicator to be replaced with a Blue one (on order) *:o
    I too am interested in this performance mod. 8-)

Where are you buying the bling from?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6164776C70766D050 link=1246171209/3#3 date=1246362787
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A353C3E29163A353A3C3E363E352F5B0 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209

Pm me and when I get back... If I do not have a spare... I guess we can order a couple in. My usual supplier has only the stand ones at the moment as little use for others...

..PS...

KK..... Still trying to get it right..

I think the grind is OK... But the tamp and dose level need some work to get consistant... I may need to make a mark or two on my tamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 052A23213609252A25232129212A30440 link=1246171209/4#4 date=1246363781
    I think the grind is OK...But the tamp and dose level need some work to get consistant...I may need to make a mark or two on my tamp.
    Yep depth line for your application is a good thing. If that does not work
    You may need that demeral tamper we inspected at Di Bella

KK

Hmmm,

It shouldnt be that difficult to dial-in AM, even considering you are coming from a different machine design. The same basic conditions still apply and all you should need to do is adjust the grind until the pour fits within the Golden Rule guidelines.

Work out the ideal dose first using what ever is your preferred method, e.g. a slight impression of a $0.05 coin on top of the dry puck, etc... Stick with your normal Tamping method and force then just adjust the grind til everything is doing what its supposed to; just as with your SB EM6910. Ive gone from a small Boiler machine, to a thermoblock machine back to a small commercial machine back to another small boiler machine and then another commercial machine, all in the space of a few hours in one day and using different grinders.

In each case, I stuck to my usual dose and tamp method but only adjusted the grind in each case to suit each particular machine. In the worst case, it took only three shots to have the machine pouring excellent Doubles in 25-28 seconds.

I really dont understand why it would take 300g or more to get an unfamiliar machine dialled in for an experienced home barista.... Just seems excessive to me :-?

Mal.

Appreciate the kind words AM.

Re dialling in the grinder.

In my experience when using the same beans as before with the other machine, first I would leave the grinder alone and make coffee. I would expect the grind to be close but maybe a little finer for the sunbean, so after the first coffee if it goes as I think it will, would probably move the adjuster 1 or 2 clicks in the more course direction and try again which should I think be close and allow maybe a movement of one click either way to finish.....

However, when changing to a different blend, and particularly one that I know has a high oil content (as supplied in the box with the machine) *you may need to move a further 1 or 2 clicks in the coarse direction to account for the new blends greater density and check again.

The rest is technique related to the particular machine. The Diadema you purchased is quite forgiving of overpacking as E61 group machines usually are, so you get a fair amount of latitude with it in the grind Vs dose Vs tamp departments from which to settle in with what you like.....

Enjoy *:)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 47736472695E426E67676464010 link=1246171209/7#7 date=1246429105
    Appreciate the kind words AM.

Re dialling in the grinder.

In my experience when using the same beans as before with the other machine, first I would leave the grinder alone and make coffee. I would expect the grind to be close but maybe a little finer for the sunbean, so after the first coffee if it goes as I think it will, would probably move the adjuster 1 or 2 clicks in the more course direction and try again which should I think be close and allow maybe a movement of one click either way to finish.....

However, when changing to a different blend, and particularly one that I know has a high oil content (as supplied in the box with the machine) *you may need to move a further 1 or 2 clicks in the coarse direction to account for the new blends greater density and check again.

The rest is technique related to the particular machine. The Diadema you purchased is quite forgiving of overpacking as E61 group machines usually are, so you get a fair amount of latitude with it in the grind Vs dose Vs tamp departments from *which to settle in with what you like.....

Enjoy *:)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

Still in Melbourne and the free wirless I have snagged is SLOW....

Mal.. Thanks for the words of advice... But I need loving.... Wife not back for another 14 days :-)

Attilio... I think you hit it on the nose... I was in a rush and also wanted a coffee or two or 3 ASAP.

1: Just finished my beans
    2: Your beans are different
    3: So use to teh SB.. I rushed..
    4: A number of coffies had to be mad to actually drink

I WAS SHOWING OFF... Can not serve crap coffee with a new maching...

Thus the setting up and every thing is a PEBKAC issue... Not the Machine... Oh and the Rocky needs to be cleaned as well....

Regards

AM

Hey AM,

If you have changed to Attilios beans, my experience is that when really fresh they needed a coarser grind than any bean I had tried before! (Same grinder, same machine.)

Nice taste though.

Greg

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 794C5B5969514C535F525A3E0 link=1246171209/9#9 date=1246441105
    Hey AM,

If you have changed to Attilios beans, my experience is that when really fresh they needed a coarser grind than any bean I had tried before! (Same grinder, same machine.)

Nice taste though.

Greg
    His 2nd KG is done... *Time to roast some more :-) *In my KK Pasta Pot and Turbo Oven..

Oh and here is a pic after teh latest mod... *Need to get access to a indexing table and a router to make teh steam knob stand out...

1: Group handles = done
    2: Tamp done... But need a new one with a slight concave base... *
    3: SS filter and funnel for filling = done
    4: Steam knob = 80% done
    5: Tamp base... In progress
    6: Blue Indicator to replace teh green one - ordered, awaiting delivery.

Looking good AM.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beautiful handles there mate 8-)

Mal.

Yes very nice
    I have seen them in person except for the steam knob

If the steam knob is easy to turn I would not groove it, It looks great the way it is ;)

Tamper stand next :-?

KK

brett230873

WOW!!! Fantastic workmanship!!! Has me thinking... What type of wood did you use?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 69796E7F7F39383B333C380B0 link=1246171209/13#13 date=1247962468
    WOW!!! Fantastic workmanship!!! *Has me thinking... What type of wood did you use?
    Thanks... Do not know about Fantastic... But your complements are still music to my ears / eyes...

I think it is quila but until recently I just burnt it and lots of other great timber as firewood... My wifes cousin owns and runs a Wood Turning factory... Has had to move from specials to mass production to maintain a income of sorts... It costs him to dispose of off cuts.

Further more even when he puts in the factory and a sign that says FREE - People come imn and complain or want it cut to size etc..

Thus he now phones a few rels etc and we come and remove as and when we can..

FOR FIREWOOD. :( :( :(

Some of teh cedar and other stuff - hurt to burn and thus, I am now attempting to salvage bits that can be used for something:-) Coffee... Did I hear you say Coffee.. ;D

While most is just off cuts and general hardwood and some softwood etc At times there can be some interesting stuff... :o

Hence I am just starting out and looking to try different wood and to see what works... Functional and Looks. When on leave and on the beach, I picked up lots of drift wood and some of that could go well.. ;)

1: New tamp handle and tamp box have priority... :-[

2: A new Knock box... Out of wood.... Will have to pick up a nice piece and learn to do a deep bowl - then a nice rail.... Has to be able to manage severe thumps and stand teh shock... Iron bark or another good Australian hardwood.

In teh ideal world every thing should match and tell a story... :-*

Problem is as I upgrade... The handles etc become useless, unless some one wants and or has teh same thread in their group... It can be changed as to the tpi (Metric or whatever)... But only if the same size or slightly bigger in dia. Smaller would mean glue and or a filler...

Actually a full set ( Group Handles / Tamp / Steam knob / Tamp Stand and Knock box) in Tasy Oak would be nice :-) .... May cost more than the Coffee Machine :o 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 40646D6D6E6E5440647866640B0 link=1246171209/12#12 date=1247960717
    If the steam knob is easy to turn I would not groove it, It looks great the way it is *
    Thanks KK... I will wait and see ;)

A_M

Oh well, still more work to be done...

But after a few weeks the BLUE indicators arrived...

Not a good shot, and came home to find teh KB almost full and water stains etc all over it..

Must think good thoughts... *It means my Wife and Daughter are using it.... *All the better when it comes time to spend more $$$$.

It also looks neat with the lights out and the red and blue glow, just peeking across the room *8-)

Yep, in a new position... Had to give back space for the cooking *;)

PS. Also have to re do the drip tray handle in another timber... Something more rustic.. And yes KK, still to make my mind up as to a Tamp stand and the best way forward...

Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1246171209/15#15 date=1250160664
    And yes KK, still to make my mind up as to a Tamp stand and the best way forward...
    You mean something like this :P

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 41656C6C6F6F5541657967650A0 link=1246171209/16#16 date=1250161013
    Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1246171209/15#15 date=1250160664
    And yes KK, still to make my mind up as to a Tamp stand and the best way forward... *
    You mean something like this * :P

KK
    Yeaaa But needs something to catch all the excess and fines and has to easy to clean...

That Cs from teh US had a great little box system... But I can not find the pic to pinch his pattern... ;D

Juanjo was the CS with the SanRemo Capri,and the cool wooden group handles
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241388668/8#8

And video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVEGO8phng&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcoffeesnobs. com.au%2FYaBB.pl%3Fnum%3D1241388668%2F8&feature=pl ayer_embedded

KK

Without being too stalker-like would any of the pics you are after be here AM?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 153138383B3B0115312D33315E0 link=1246171209/18#18 date=1250163261
    Juanjo was the CS with the SanRemo Capri,and the cool wooden group handles
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241388668/8#8

And video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVEGO8phng&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcoffeesnobs. com.au%...
    Bugger.. *and bugger again... *Rather than a SAGA (Saga semi-automatic shotgun) I could do with a few of those blades *;D

Second from the left would double as a filleting knife (Fish or otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by 323730303F3B305E0 link=1246171209/19#19 date=1250163774
    Without being too stalker-like would any of the pics you are after be here AM?
    How do you guys do it... *My memory is shot when it comes to names... *Can trace or re draw an electronic cct from yesterday or years ago; quote any number of standards and legislation... but names .. pfft *gone *;) *Just ask my wife *:-[

Thanks guys... *Now to revisit my intent and materials..

Note: The wood he uses in his groups is SPECIAL.. *Bloody dangerous stuff, but nice and hard to get...

Often used in gun grips and knife handles *:-) *

Care must be used when cutting Cocobolo, as the woods oils can induce allergic reactions if inhaled or exposed to unprotected skin and eyes. A dust collection system, coupled with the use of personal protective equipment such as respirators, is highly recommended when machining this wood.

Go on, live dangerously AM ;)

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a tamp stand

BTW, how is your SAIGA work going? :P

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4F6D6A6A69656269534A656962680C0 link=1246171209/21#21 date=1250214769
    BTW, how is your SAIGA work going?
    Crap... No fun at a distance... Sniper or Cold steel for me.

I like the feel of cold steal going into f&^%h and teh warm b%$d ozooing out all over me ;D

PS. Moo gave us a bad scare.. Lost him twice.. Last weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by 042B22203708242B24222028202B31450 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209
    B: *Had to make my grind courser (4 clicks on teh rocky)
    have you tried downdosing instead? :)

coffeedowndosefantatichorse.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5F727378627F626F160 link=1246171209/23#23 date=1250258970
    Quote Originally Posted by 042B22203708242B24222028202B31450 link=1246171209/0#0 date=1246171209
    B: *Had to make my grind courser (4 clicks on teh rocky)
    have you tried downdosing instead? :)

coffeedowndosefantatichorse.
    CUrrent beans and back to about where I would expect.. And that is not only in the shot output but on inspecting the grinds as well..

As to downdosing .... Some may find that it has some merits on some occasions..

For me its like chalk and cheese OR Bleach and Cafetto

Actually downdosing is more like trying to use ONE square of 2 ply toilet paper, after a night on the curry and Stout :-X

Sorry just does not perform as well or how I expect it to... Bloody messy either way..

Quote Originally Posted by 6D424B495E614D424D4B49414942582C0 link=1246171209/8#8 date=1246434057
    Thus the setting up and every thing is a PEBKAC
    I just realised that the big problem is probably confusing the touch pad with a keyboard.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 615443417149544B474A42260 link=1246171209/9#9 date=1246441105
    Hey AM,

Nice taste though.

Greg
    Yep, had some more come through.. Same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by 4247544F53554E260 link=1246171209/3#3 date=1246362787

Uk and the only place that sells them in small numbers.. But they would not sell to Australia... Got a mate to purchase a few and send to me.

I like... Even my wife and kids thought it made a pleasant difference; Not so harsh was the comment......

A_M

Miss BFC Junior Automatic (aka La Valentina, Diadema, Vittoria) is not impressed with me... And nor is my wife *;) * :o * ::)

Miss Dalla Corte arrived today * *[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

As usual, she needs to get over her travel experiences and then after a little coffee shot or two, we will have a bit of a cook off - between the two..

Miss BFC Junior Automatic *and all her mods / add on etc, may well be looking for new accom and a loving carer.

So stay tuned if ya interested.