Thread: Diamond Italia/La Nuova Era Cuadra

Re: Diamond Italia/La Nuova Era Cuadra

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Specs: E-61 group, 1.8 litre boiler, 3 litre water tank.

Thoughts? Comments?

I have no idea how this machine performs but it does look hot doesnt it!

too bad about the advertisement.......its gottta be better than the coffee at least one would think.

:)

Craig.

Red and Silver, hot colours, but hows she perform thou.
    Looks are great but arent everything, well sorta hehehe

No Idea how she performs.... but she is a very SEXY Italian ! (love her curves!)

re: colours - Available Coloured Panels: Yellow, Grey, Deep Red, White, Black, Chrome

quite purty - pity its gotta deal with Sickofreddy beans

If anyones interested, Ive got some photos of her internals
    Cheers.

We have been testing them for a while now. The La nuova Era Cuadra performs quite well, has plenty of steam power.

It is a very nice looking coffee machine.

Diamond Italia/La Nuova Era Cuadra

Hi
    For thoase that have brought the Diamond Italia or looking at one.

They seem to be rebranded La Nouva Era - Cuadra Lever which is being sold here in Aussie.

and they get quite good write ups on coffeegeek.

I was offered an Italia for $1770 with some goodies.

Could be a good buy and parts should be available from overseas. Tho local warranty is virtually non exisitant I believe.

TC

I had one of these as an evaluation machine when Diamond_C was in operation. I would think that these were Diamond spec. as well *:-?

I really didnt like it at all....It ran superhot- enough to cook a shot even after a massive 200+ ml flush. It purports to be "Italian built", but internally it reeks of China and the first one I received leaked all over the place.

I hope that the machine I saw was an abberation and that they have evolved into a better machine. As for the one I saw, Id prefer a Simonelli or even a Silvia...

Hate to say it, but for me it was a work in progress at the point that I saw it and I rated it more like 2/10. Your machine is far superior squirrelgrip.

2mcm

It was the plastic covers that put me off and i really didnt look any further into it than that as I wanted a machine that *would definitely *last for years. Now ill have to put it all in the will.

The pictures Ive seen on the overseas ones have a black cover that I kinda like better than the silver.

I just saw that some folx here had one and would be relieved that parts maybe more available than one might think considering Diamond are no more.

Apparently someone at the auction in Melb brought a whole heap (nearly all was what I was told) of them so they may appear on ebay.

Has any that has one care to give a quick review?

Just had a quick look on evilbay and it looks like they are starting to appear sold under *La Nouva Era - Cuadra Lever but if you look closely the picture looks like its a Diamond Italia. :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 6547435F4444535A51445F46360 link=1246415337/2#2 date=1246432290
    Has any that has one care to give a quick review? *
    Im kind of perplexed as to why youd be so interested. *Would have thought youd done your research before or when you were made the offer to buy one and obviously not to your liking since you decided to purchase a different machine.

I think the quick review posted immediately before you posed your question would more than satisfy. *Maybe you need to loosen your grip. *;D

Actually i did a search came back no results

Quote Originally Posted by 75545F5F5842310 link=1246415337/4#4 date=1246433385
    I think the quick review posted immediately before you posed your question would more than satisfy. *Maybe you need to loosen your grip.
    Just out of interest nothing more sounds like they are duds anyway.

And i did do my research thats how i found out the covers were plastic.

Tho a report form an actual user could be interesting.

They do rate well on coffeegeek tho. but that would be the US model.

Quote Originally Posted by 7456524E5555424B40554E57270 link=1246415337/5#5 date=1246433444
    Actually i did a search came back no results
    Dont know why sg....

I just did a quick search and came up with lots of threads with discussions of the Diamond Italia. This one for example... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210592832/0

Mal.

oh that search sure heaps but none with Cuadra Lever :)

And none from anyone that has one at home.

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234788611/2#2][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

syl

Ive had one of these for 9 months and it works very well. Good temp and pressure. Solid s/s frame! Ive had a look inside and can say its very well made, 1.8L copper boiler.Very simmillar components as in other high end machine. Chromed moulded abs sides for added style. Great unit.
    P.s Diamond C has re opened as Diamond Coffee.

I looked at these machines at QCMS in Brisbane this week,from the mixed opinions I should probably stick to a Isomac Tea from DiBella as they are at the same price of around $2200.

It would be nice to know if the temp issues reported by 2mcm have been corrected.

Take a look here at the bottom post:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932646

I do not import these machines and I as well as many others were sorry to see Diamond C being wound up. But as I have a couple of these machines and have been using one every day for a few weeks I feel there will be no conflict of interest in commenting with some honest opinions.

Many of you will know I am in the business and import Diadema Junior machines and therefore have equipment of my own to directly compare, in addition to running a repair workshop catering for many other brands so I will firstly disagree with a couple of comments above namely:

a) "..solid s/s frame..."
    Sorry but this is incorrect. When you remove the body panels which give rigidity, the thin stainless steel sheet frame can easily be wiggled from side to side quite a way with your little finger!

Whether this is of any consequence is up to the individual, because when all the body parts are screwed back together, then yes the total is solid...but to say the frame is solid is simply wrong.

By comparison other machines in the class really do have a solid frame (several mm thicker) and they cannot be wiggled from side to side with your little finger, and they do not rely on the body panels to make the total rigid.

The Diamond Italia weighs what....around 14 kg, and others depending on the particular models usually start at over 20 kilos and go up from there......

So, what is the definition of "solid"?

b) "...Very simmillar *components as in other high end machine...."

Sorry but this is misleading in the extreme for people who are looking to buy a machine in this "class". The components used in the machine may be "similar" as in to do a similar job, but they are certainly not *the same quality of components used in the more expensive Diadema, Rocket, Veebee-emm, Isomac, La Cimbali, Wega and many others that you can care to compare to and name. The components in the others mentioned are more "heavy duty" & have larger designed in working cycles, resulting in the long run in less money spent over time in service costs.

Please note the following.

1) This is simply a response to what I believe to be misleading technical information.

2) That said, there is no doubt the model serves a purpose and fills a niche at the lower end of the "semi commercial heat exchanger machine" class (where in fact there is a lot less competition than in the more expensive end....). It is simple & *has a lesser and less expensive standard of build throughout than the more expensive competing machines, but works well and would make a good work horse for someone that is budget conscious. I would call it a KISS principle machine.

The model I have for sale (link noted above) would suit a new machine buyer & has been tweaked by me. When it came to me the system pressure was bleeding off at 12 bars which amongst other things I have corrected, and if left to sit it requires purging usually around 120 mls of water from the group before applying the group handle to brew espresso. If you always check (as a good barista should) the water coming from the group before applying the group hande, you will not scald the brew. It is simple barista technique but note however, the more expensive machines in the class have usually had this corrected on the production line so that very little purging if any is required...but they cost more!

The machine I am selling is worth every penny of the price being asked.

If on the other hand a prospective buyer had been comparing a new one at the RRP, to a different brand new model at their RRP (usually higher), the buyer would need to decide whether the higher price of the opposing brand model can be justified. As far as I am concerned, it can.

When alls said and done, everything is relative and you usually gets what you pays for, and only the individual can decide what is best for them.

Commercial interest firmly declared.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Any owners of the La Nuova Era Cuadra?

This is the machine which is predominantly sold here in Brisbane now (at di bella and QCMS, they both highly recommend it). They back it with 2 year warranty and i think also two free services.

Price is $2200
    1.8L copper boiler
    cool touch steam wand
    e-61 group head

Any owners care to comments on their experience with this machine?

Re: Any owners of the La Nuova Era Cuadra?

Hi rival81,

Last time i had a demo of the La Nuova Era Cuadra which was a year ago, they ran quite hot, for my liking. However they might of changed now, so you might be better of getting a demo from dibella or QCMS.

Or as an alternative you might want to look into the Expobar Office Leva or the Expobar barista Minore 3 if you wanted to up your budget a bit.

Is that really an issue or can you just do a cooling flush before your extraction?

I assume brew temp cant be adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by 706B74636E3A33020 link=1258271374/2#2 date=1258327098
    Is that really an issue or can you just do a cooling flush before your extraction?
    Depends on the size of the cooling flush. An acceptable range would be between 30-60ml after the machine has been sitting for an extended period and none at all for successive shots....

Quote Originally Posted by 706B74636E3A33020 link=1258271374/2#2 date=1258327098
    I assume brew temp cant be adjusted?
    Thats pretty well the case rival...

Brew water temp. is down to the overall engineering of the thermodynamics of the hydraulic circuits, not so much on the temperature of the Boiler water. It could perhaps be "tuned" by someone who knows what theyre doing or, you could settle on a machine that has been designed from the outset to reliably deliver Brew water at the correct temperature with minimum cooling water flush involvement.... ;)

Cheers :)
    Mal.

Silvia owner here but Ive turned up this Thread that could be of interest please note it refers to machines from the previous distributor, current distributor may have made changes.

whoa that is really interesting... i will be steering clear.

In fairness to QCMS
    please note it refers to machines from the previous distributor, current distributor may have made changes.

I too am in teh market - the La Nuova Era Cuadra and the Isomac Tea both same just in limbo for choice - the Nuova has the better warranty and service. Anyone have thoughts or experiences ?

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 30202C2F2F2C3330430 link=1258271374/7#7 date=1261441059
    I too am in teh market - the La Nuova Era Cuadra and the Isomac Tea both same just in limbo for choice - the Nuova has the better warranty and service. *Anyone have thoughts or experiences ?
    Heaps been said on this

look here
    http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/lanuovaeracuadra

and here
    http://www.home-barista.com/

And then after reading the rest of this thread, as a long term proposition I think you might favor the Isomac.

hi guys,
    Ive had my bright red cuadra now for 3 months and am very happy with it so far. The shop I bought it from said they could adjust the temperature to suit the type of roast I prefer. So, I asked the roaster who I buy my beans from about the right temp for the roast I like and then had the shop guy tweak the temperature settings to 93 degrees which is apparently where my roasted beans perform their best. And apparently its no big deal to change the temp settings again if I want, but i havent had any need so far.
    lurrrv my first coffee of the day
    :D

There does not seem to be a lot of info around on the Cuadra so when I came across a thread on a German forum with pics of the internals I thought I may as well post a link on this thread, it may help armchair researchers doing there homework. Click Here

i can only say that i have owned one for nearly 2 years and have had no issues in that time.i do not have any technical knowledge and can only comment on the coffee i make,which is consistant and enjoyable.
    my wife and i enjoy both the results and the looks of the machine

I just went to look at one at Espresso Italia (site sponsor) - and theyre cheaper now.
    They were confident about the build quality, parts and serviceability.

If there are no bad experiences, I might give it a go. Its replacing a Sunbeam EM6910 - so its gotta be more reliable, right?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7D7164644F737C757D100 link=1246415338/33#33 date=1275393488
    so its gotta be more reliable, right?
    It would need to be...

I am going to call it as I saw it. When I evaluated the Diamond machine as a potential range candidate way back then, I rejected it as a hot running, poorly laid out, entry level Asian manufactured HX machine. In service, it would have been nasty and expensive to maintain in my opinion.

We have a client who experienced terminal failures of three of these machines (purchased elsewhere) in a row. He spat the dummy, most probably lost his dough (Diamond machine as they were going under) and purchased a Giotto.

I havent seen one since then, but it would want to have improved a whole heap to be of any competition to anything Italian or Spanish at the circa $2k mark. :-? Keep in mind that whats inside counts as well. Attilio hit the nail on the head a few posts up*

So there it is....Thats my opinion.

Chris

Cuadra by La Nuova Era

Hi Guys!!

I have been reading this forum for a while and researching and I have finally decided on a Cuadra from Espresso Italia!

I was originally going for an Isomac Millennium Cooltouch (new model) though I stumbled across the Cuadra while researching. Obviously the Cuadra being cheaper though almost the same quality as the Isomac I thought Id go for the Cuadra.

Before I make my purchase I thought Id start up an account here and ask all of you very experienced coffee snobs your opinion. Ive searched the forum and came across this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1246415338 which caused me a little grief, though I did notice the date is quite old when it was first started. My question here is: have the problems been fixed since the thread was posted? & Is the Millennium really better than the Cuadra and why?

Thanks in advance

TC

Welcome Ristrett0,

Seeing that you used the search function and found an identical thread, it would have been good if youd posted in it rather than creating more of the same...

Threads merged ::)

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 653A22343F3438313132323A3639570 link=1246415338/35#35 date=1277726054
    Welcome Ristrett0,

Seeing that you used the search function and found an identical thread, it would have been good if youd posted in it rather than creating more of the same...

Threads merged ::)

2mcm

Sorry I started a new thread because I wanted to compare to the Millennium as well, but I didnt really make myself clear. :-/

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6441574C444B4A250 link=1246415338/36#36 date=1277726701
    Sorry I started a new thread because I wanted to compare to the Millennium as well, but I didnt really make myself clear.
    One is an Italian HX machine with 1.2L boiler and circa 20kg. The other one is an Asian assembled ( :-/) 1.8L machine which weighs more like 14kg and has plastic sides and runs red hot (or at least it did in one I played with in Diamonds showroom)...

I have not seen inside the Millenium so cant comment on that, but was unimpressed with what I saw in the Diamond, which I classified as the 1st appliance HX machine I had seen. We refused to range it.

These are big decisions and you need to live with a machine every day. You want something which is well manufactured and user friendly. If you have to fight the machine for a cup, you will not be inclined to use it and you blows your dough.

I get to use a variety of machines every day and see inside them as well when we do service work- so I reckon I can make pretty fair comparisons, perhaps moreso than a bloke who saw a cheapy machine, purchased it and has managed to make a coffee or two with it. Of course hes happy, but what about in two years? *

At the less expensive end of our range, nothing in our range comes close to the build quality of the Diadema Junior Plus semi-auto. Good thing is that they dont break either.

My advice is to make sure that you buy the right machine, not neccessarily the cheapest and if that means waiting for a little while to accumulate some extra folding stuff, do it!

Also, find a dealer who can bench test your machine, set it correctly as required, assist with training and more importantly, repair your machine if something goes wrong. There are way too many mobs around interested in shifting boxes and grabbing cash these days. After sales support? Good luck... ::)

Thanks for the info so far guys. My budget is a big factor at this stage. I cant really afford a machine in the 2500 range. After speaking to a seller who sells both the Isomac and Cuadra, they said that the Isomac actually runs hotter than the Cuadra. So now Im totally confused.

I think Im going to have to go out and find a place to test in Sydney. But Im finding it difficult to find someone that has stocks the Cuadra in Sydney.

Ciao Ristretto and welcome to CS.

I wasnt going to enter the discusison as it seems it concerns another site sponsor but now that you mention you are in Sydney.......

This Advice to CS members given freely & without any commercial interest intended: *

I continue to marvel at people buying equipment by mail order from all over the country when they have reputable equipment vendors in their own areas selling a goodly number of machines of various brands and models. Some of them CS sponsors......

From the point of view of reliability and good service long term, why are you looking at equipment that you say is not available in your area? What happens when you have a warrantable problem? *What happens after the period of guarantee has lapsed? *Dont you want, or find comfort in, the thought of buying locally and being able to access convenient local support for years to come?

Have you asked the importer if he has an agent to refer you to in Sydney?

Rather than saying you are finding it difficult to find a certain brand / model in your local area ask rather, what good name brands and models are already available in your local area covering a good range of purchase prices, and with already established local support. *It doesnt have to be any more difficult than necessary.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by 7E4A5D4B50677B575E5E5D5D380 link=1246415338/39#39 date=1277776777
    Ciao Ristretto and welcome to CS.

I wasnt going to enter the discusison as it seems it concerns another site sponsor but now that you mention you are in Sydney.......

Advice freely given without any commercial interest: *

I continue to marvel at people buying equipment by mail order from all over the country when they have reputable equipment vendors in their own areas selling a goodly number of machines of various brands and models. Some of them CS sponsors......

From the point of view of reliability and good service long term, why are you looking at equipment that you say is not available in your area? What happens when you have a warrantable problem? *What happens after the period of guarantee has lapsed? *Dont you want, or find comfort in, the thought of buying locally and being able to access convenient local support for years to come?

Haave you asked the importer if he has an agent to refer you to in Sydney?

Rather than saying you are finding it difficult to find a certain brand / model in your local area ask rather, what good name brands and models are already available in your local area covering a good range of purchase prices, and with already established local support. *It doesnt have to be any more difficult than necessary.

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    Yes I have asked if there is a Sydney rep for the vendor and there is for both service and warranty. And everytime I do a search for the cuadra I cant find a Sydney based vendor. This is why I posted what I posted. Thanks :)

Another point, that many dont think about is

People move due to various factors
    Sometimes to the next suburb
    Sometimes to the next town or city
    Sometimes to another state

Quote Originally Posted by 605443554E79654940404343260 link=1246415338/39#39 date=1277776777
    From the point of view of reliability and good service long term, why are you looking at equipment that you say is not available in your area? What happens when you have a warrantable problem?What happens after the period of guarantee has lapsed?Dont you want, or find comfort in, the thought of buying locally and being able to access convenient local support for years to come?

Have you asked the importer if he has an agent to refer you to in Sydney?

Rather than saying you are finding it difficult to find a certain brand / model in your local area ask rather, what good name brands and models are already available in your local area covering a good range of purchase prices, and with already established local support.It doesnt have to be any more difficult than necessary.
    Its good to be able to have reliable parts / service close by no mater where you live or move to

KK

Banned

Hi guys,

The La Nuova Era (Cuadra) Authorized service agent in Sydney is:

ESPRESSO CONNECT
    9 KESLO STREET
    BURWOOD HEIGHTS 2136 NSW
    PHONE: 02 9817 8000

Cheers

Damiano from Espresso Italia

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234788611/3#3][splithere][/link][splithere_end]