Thread: Descaling my San Marino CKX

Descaling my San Marino CKX

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok~~I want to descale my new toy San Marino CKX. Just wondering how should i actually do it? I find this from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxpOBZyK9MA&feature=related What do people think about it? Im planning to get some cafetto descaling liquid tomorrow.

Re: Descaling my San Marino CKX

Came up with another question this morning. Do i need to remove the shower screen before I do the descaling? Cos I upgraded from a em6910. For the em6910, I need to take the shower screen off before I do the descaling. Is it the same for other machines?

Tony.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 787E6C62677E650B0 link=1248271598/1#1 date=1248306229
    Came up with another question this morning. Do i need to remove the shower screen before I do the descaling? Cos I upgraded from a em6910. For the em6910, I need to take the shower screen off before I do the descaling. Is it the same for other machines?

Tony.
    ive never taken the shower screen off for a descale, am i doing it wrong? :-[

I dont know too. For the 6910, it said in the manual that you need to take the seal and the shower screen off before you do the descale. Just not sure with other machines :)

Tony.

Think you will find that if you talk to the agent / importer of your machine, or the importer agent of any other heat exchanger type machine, the answer will be that you should NOT descale this type of machine.

The only answer is to feed it with softened water, then there wont be any need to descale it.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sposnor.

The reason i want to descale is because it is a used machine. Now i better not do it. Im still looking for a water filter at this stage. Using a carbon filter at the moment, but i dont think it will do the job. However, Melbourne water is not as hard as the other states (I assume). Will it be better if i take it for a service? Just wondering, what will the tech do when servicing a coffee machine? WIll they do descaling?

Tony.

Hello Tony,

these are my personal opinions based on experience in my own area. Others may differ esp depending on the water quality in their own areas.

Too much rubbish is written about scale. Scale builds up and causes blockage in small areas such as tubes and jets. It does not in my experience affect flavour, it is just a "blocking agent". Scale build up inside a boiler in a heat exchanger machines does very little. It coats the inside of the boiler with a hard film and just sits there.

Where scale does affect a heat exchanger machine is in the group area. It will eventually block drillings inside the group & the "group jet" and any small filter in there, and will also block the small openings in the various solenoid valves in the machine. *In areas where the water is very hard, there can be enough build up in the internal piping that all pipes will get blocked up including to the steam valves etc.

The usual way of dealing with it is by physically removing the scale when the flow becomes impaired.

The flow usually becomes impaired, because the machine owner has not done something about providing a scale inhibiting (or water softening) water filter OR as is quite common, has never changed the scale inhibiting filter cartridge (they do not last forever and should be changed regularly).

As technicians, we dislike having to work on machines that need to be physically descaled...and the clients dislike having to pay us for several hours work to repair their machine at the going rate. It is a preventable problem that sneaks up over time due to lack of understanding or care, not an unfortunate equipment "breakdown". *

Cafe machines scale up much more quickly than machines at home because there is a far greater throughput of water and they are on for much longer periods than your machine at home.

The best advice I can give you is, that if the machine is working fine to leave it alone. *However if it were me I would install a simple scale inhibiting water filter to a drinking fountain at the kitchen sink. That has two beneficial effects:
    a) You can use the water coming from it to put in your machine and
    b) You can use it for all your drinking water and to refill your water bottles (the filters are usuallu a triple action thing - removing particles, odours, and releasing an anti scaling agent)....trust me, the flavour of drinking water treated in this way is much nicer than water that stinks of chlorine etc.when you put the glass to your mouth.

I am sure I have forgotten to mention heaps of relevant stuff but this generally should suffice for the moment. Essentially, if it aint broke dont fix it...but do something about the water you feed it and that should stop any scaling already present but not causing a problem, from becoming a problem.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

OK~~Me and my other half have been thinking of buying a water filter anyway. We found a six filters water filter from eCosway. Will that do the job? This water filter sounds quite good. Any thought?

http://www.ecosway.com/ecosway/SuperSelection/hexagon/en_US/hexagon_06.jsp

jmc

Contact Bombora
    <<<<<
    See the sponsors sidebar

John

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3D2F21243D26480 link=1248271598/7#7 date=1248508267
    OK~~Me and my other half have been thinking of buying a water filter anyway. We found a six filters water filter from eCosway. Will that do the job? This water filter sounds quite good. Any thought?

http://www.ecosway.com/ecosway/SuperSelection/hexagon/en_US/hexagon_06.jsp
    Very much doubt that it is suitable for use with your new espresso machine Tony. Do yourself a favour and talk to the people who not only know what theyre talking about but stand behind the products they sell and represent. Youre not talking big money for a real espresso machine filtration system you know and the running costs are significantly less than trying to do the same thing with a Brita Jug....

Talk to Bernard at Bombora, Attilio at CosmoreX or Chris at Talk Coffee... These guys must have a combined knowledge and experience base of nearly a century. Thats got to be some level or reassurance for you, surely.... :-?

Mal.