Thread: Living with Junior - Bringing my baby home & thoughts a month down the track

Living with Junior - Bringing my baby home & thoughts a month down the track

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well, about a month ago we (meaning I, with the blessing of the better half) finally gave in to temptation with the assistance of Chris & his monthly talk coffee special & bit the bullet on a new machine, a Diadema (BFC) Junior Extra.
    Having enjoyed & eventually outgrown our Napolitana, it was time to step up into serious HX territory, and the price difference did it for me.
    Why Junior & not a Gioto or something else entirely? *Chris will tell you I spent quite some time there staring, pondering, fondling *:-?
    Each machine had its own advantages & drawbacks, but in the end it was actually the steam knobs that won me over. The Junior has BFCs commercial knobs, which just felt better in my hand. * Knowing that the upgrade was in part driven by the production of milk-based drinks at our place when friends are over, it was enough to win me over.
    The deeper drip tray didnt hurt either, nor did the overall aesthetics, with the straight sides really appealing to me.

Decision made, we waited... *picking up Junior the following saturday and heading home for the unboxing. *So what were my initial impressions?
    The overall finish is lovely, with curved sides & shiny stainless which we all love to look at but hate to keep clean.

The only downside was a blemish on the right panel near the front where the metal had been heated to be shaped, leaving roughly an inch square area looking brushed rather than polished. *Chris confirmed for me that unfortunately this kind of discoloration can sometimes be expected due to the manufacturing process, but it did take a little shine off an otherwise perfect finish. *

Fortunately, this is the side that faces the grinder/wall in its corner of the kitchen, so its not really noticeable day to day.

So thats the looks, but hows the coffee? *It only took a couple of shots to get my Mazer Mini dialed in, needing a slightly coarser grind than the napolitana did. *Within a couple of shots though I had beautiful syrupy coffee pouring into my shot glass. *By far the best espresso Ive ever had at home, and better than the majority Ive had out. *It doesnt offer the same clarity in taste that you get from an FB80, as I get from my regular Saturday coffee from Veneziano, but you certainly get a very well balanced cup with the right coffee & technique, and all for a 10th the price.

Milk based drinks have been superb. *It took less than a couple of liters of milk before I was steaming happily. *The two hole tip makes it very easy to get very good milk. *Even Miroslawa has discovered that she too can make a great coffee on Junior, where she would struggle on the napolitana. *No temperature surfing to extract a drinkable shot & no secret technique to steaming.

A month on & weve entertained multiple times with great success. *Im easily able to knock out a half dozen coffees in a few minutes, steaming while pouring without negatively impacting the flavour of milk based drinks, and without the long waits through temperature cycles of old. *Weve even got a friend who "doesnt drink coffee" request a latte every time she comes through the door, with a tilt of the head & a batting of the eyelids as though I needed convincing to get behind the machine.

Any regrets? *Part of me wonders about a plumbed in machine, but at the same time I didnt really fancy putting holes in walls/flooring to do it, so its only when I forgot to refill the machine & the low water buzzing occurs while Im part way through a pour do I really ponder it. As long as we top it up each day though theres no problem.

Certainly highly recommended, and worth talking to a site sponsor about. *Chris was most helpful through the process & Ive got no hesitation in recommending others head out to see the range.

Re: Living with Junior - Bringing my baby home & thoughts a month down the track

Congrats

Another happy Talk Coffee customer and another happy Diadema/BFC owner. They seem to be coming more and more popular. Sounds like youve no only strengthened your own CS credentials but outed one or more other potential coffeesnobs.

Im not convinced the extra trouble and expense of a plumbed machine is worth it. You are easily able to relocate your DJE to another location anytime and refilling the tank isnt that much of a chore, especially if it becomes the first thing you do each day.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Re: Living with Junior - Bringing my baby home & thoughts a month down the track

Quote Originally Posted by 495E4A4B452D0 link=1249180620/0#0 date=1249180620
    The only downside was a blemish on the right panel near the front where the metal had been heated to be shaped, leaving roughly an inch square area looking brushed rather than polished. *Chris confirmed for me that unfortunately this kind of discoloration can sometimes be expected due to the manufacturing process, but it did take a little shine off an otherwise perfect finish. *
    Im thinking about buying one of these machines too dsgfh. I must say Im surprised that you were not offered a replacement panel under warranty. Lets face it the appearance of this style of machine does influence purchasing decisions and I imagine accounts for fair slice of the manufacturing budget. Of course it has no effect on the machines performance but to me its like expecting you to accept a new car with dodgy paint work.

Glad to hear its the business when it comes to a brew tho.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 705D5E5E5D320 link=1249180620/2#2 date=1249250000
    I must say Im surprised that you were not offered a replacement panel under warranty.
    Hi Bollo,

FYI we referred this specific case to the importer, CosmoreX and Attilio confirmed that this small blemish is not uncommon on the DJE. The panel anatomy is relatively complex being rolled, bent and then welded as well as being polished. I guess chrome plating would cover it up, but the Extra is mirror finish stainless (as far as I know)...

Unfortunately, in hand-made machines, some variations occur and even if the machine was replaced, the replacement would have in all liklihood been pretty much the same.

If a minor imperfecton is a deal breaker, best bet is to go for the Regal as its manufactured differently. FWIW, variations occur in pretty much all machines.

Chris

Hello all,

Chris you are quite right they are "typical" and do not present any problem. It is due to the manufacturing process at the corners of the body panels, where in order to get the shape and direction in the stainless steel plate, some cutting & welding is involved. The weld marks and resultant "yellowing" of the stainless steel where heated, are carefully treated and buffed as necessary to clean them up leaving these areas as they are.

No two marks are the same, that is what you get when you are dealing with individually hand made panels.

Hope this helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Thanks dsgfh, for your impressions of the DJE and the pics too - it looks glorious! ;D I find all this info so helpful as Im in the market for my first espresso machine and grinder. Im going to dive straight into the deep end and have been considering a Giotto but I will now look at the DJE too (hopefully a mini mazzer or macap grinder)... (just got to keep working on the non coffee drinking partner ;))
    Also wanted to say I have found Chris from Talk Coffee very helpful over the phone too.
    Keep the progress up :)

As I said, Ive been really thrilled with the machine, but thought it worth mentioning the blemish so that prospective buyers were aware of it. I leaped in relatively early on the purchase trail, so wasnt aware that the different manufacture between the regal & extra meant this would occur. The regal for me had other drawbacks for me (some areas seemed to be quite hot to touch), which made the extra the choice for me.

At least other buyers will go in informed that because of the manufacturing process this can occur. I do think that from a manufacturing perspective this can be avoided, but it would increase the costs substantially I expect. Almost everything in this world is built to a price-point after all, and these machines are no different.
    BTW, a little autosol did help reduce some of the scuffing, and to be honest I just dont notice it now since Im too busy looking at my pour.

Perhaps this is one more mark in favour of the Giotto (as though Chris needed more ways to love them) on the aesthetic front ;)

Chris & Attilio were helpful & responsive through the process though, so this certainly isnt a slight on them. Id certainly recommend anyone talk to them about a machine.

Ive just spent the last 3 working days on the road & missed Junior dearly while I was gone. I dont know how Ill cope on our Christmas holiday if we head OS.

Quote Originally Posted by 776074757B130 link=1249180620/6#6 date=1249373775
    Ive just spent the last 3 working days on the road & missed Junior dearly while I was gone. *I dont know how Ill cope on our Christmas holiday if we head OS.
    As they say: absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Thanks for the post and especially furnished with some pics - a picture paints a thousand words. Ive been thinking of something within this price range to upgrade to... and by thinking, Im planning ahead a couple of years!!! Still, the Diademas are looking like the top of the pile for me atm.

Im glad the blemish is becoming less of an issue as you begin ogling your shots!

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Great stuff! *:D

How did the rest of the coffee go?

Once I got the dose right it went down an absolute treat Seng :) Thank your supplier/dealer for us ;)