Thread: Bezzera Domus Galatea Boiler Pressure

Bezzera Domus Galatea Boiler Pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

I have a Bezzera Domus Galatea and I am wondering what pressures the boiler should be cycling between. At the moment, the element clicks on at 1.15 bar and off at 1.35 bar. I thought that this may be on the high side and that the pressure may need to be adjusted.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether the pressure shown is accurate and whether it should be adjusted? What pressure do others Bezzeras cycle between?

Thanks
    Gerard

A_M

Re: Bezzera Domus Galatea Boiler Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by 515659544E4756594344370 link=1250665323/0#0 date=1250665323
    Hey all,

I have a Bezzera Domus Galatea and I am wondering what pressures the boiler should be cycling between. At the moment, the element clicks on at 1.15 bar and off at 1.35 bar. I thought that this may be on the high side and that the pressure may need to be adjusted.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether the pressure shown is accurate and whether it should be adjusted? What pressure do others Bezzeras cycle between?

Thanks
    Gerard
    Plent of users on CS... Do not get too hung up on the gauge... The actual preasure at the group is what is important.. And there can be some differances between teh Boiler and Group...

If you got it from a sponsor... Have a chat to them...

The pressure in the boiler affects the temperature of the water--both in the boiler and through the HX, and the steam pressure.

Small changes in the pressure are relatively insignificant on boiler temperature, i.e.
    1 bar (or 0 on a coffee machine pressure gauge)=100C,
    1 bar on the gauge (2 bar absolute)=120C,
    1.3 bar (2.3 absolute)=125C.

Id be adjusting only if the steam or the coffee was inadequate. Are you having problems?

Greg

Yeah I wasnt too concerned with the pressure the pump was putting out through the puck, I was mainly concerned with the temperature of the water coming out.

I am an absolute noob to espresso and I am trying to get the best coffee possible. I have not really had any problems making a drinkable milk-based coffee but am struggling to make an enjoyable espresso. Now his may well be that I dont necessarily enjoy the taste of espresso (yet) but when I am extracting the espresso it does seem to blonde early (say around the 15-20 second mark) and I thought the espresso had some bitterness to it (from what I understand a consequence of over extracting). I put some thought into the possible causes and thought that if the water was running hot it may speed up the extraction of goodness in the coffee (this may or may not be true - I am only coming at this from a chemistry 101 point of view of hotter = faster reaction).

I am grinding fresh roasted (and likely quality) beans bought from the local roastery in an M4D on demand and tamping consistently. The volume out of the group is fairly spot on for a double basket (60 ml in about 30 seconds) so the grind consistency seems to be right.

I was actually given the machine as a gift and while i originally came from Barazi, it was purchased from a local distributor on the Gold Coast with not necessarily the same espresso nous as a sponsor. I was contemplating taking it to Barazi (which is an effort a 2 hour round trip to drop off and the same to pick up) but thought that if it was a simple matter of adjusting the boiler switch I would try that first so was interested in other peoples experience with the same machine.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Cheers

While too hot could be a cause of bitterness, I suspect that over-extraction is the issue.

Try a ristretto and see whether you like that. Same grind, same tamp, same quantity of grounds--go for only 20 seconds or so, or until the first onset of blonding.

Ive never found a "complete, standard" extraction to my taste.

Greg

OK, Ill give it a go in the morning and report back.

Id still be interested in what other peoples Bezzeras cycle between purely for curiositys sake.

Thanks for the feedback on this, its appreciated.

Gday fancypants..... :)

Have a scan through this excellent tutorial from Home Barista... http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html Lots of great info to be found there. Another great and more recent resource is the one assembled by ECA as a series of instructional videos, here... http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm .

Mal.

Mine certainly cycles widely, like yours does, cant remember what though. Will check next time Im in the office. Doesnt sound so bad though.

It depends on the ambient temperature
    In winter it will cool quicker than in summer

I have delayed my post so I can test it first for you

My Galatea is about the same as yours.
    The element comes on at approx 1.5 bar for 10 seconds and at off at 1.30 bar.

KK

Just to update, after reading the home barista articles as recommended and doing some experimentation today, I have gotten favourable results by running a cooling shot until the water from the shower screen stops flashing to steam (say 10-12 seconds).

Also, stopping the shot at the onset of blonding does seem to assist in avoiding some bitterness.

Thanks all for your input - Ill worry less about the boiler pressure (gauge) and let the machine work its magic from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by 717679746E6776796364170 link=1250665323/9#9 date=1250948574
    after reading the home barista articles as recommended and doing some experimentation today, I have gotten favourable results by running a cooling shot until the water from the shower screen stops flashing to steam (say 10-12 seconds).

Also, stopping the shot at the onset of blonding does seem to assist in avoiding some bitterness.
    Great news fancypants..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Wont be long before youre chasing the elusive God shot.... 8-)

All the best,
    Mal.

odd that yours is flashing - mine pulls shots from walk-up at 93-94C.

Ill let the experts on the Bezzera chime in here, but for my money if it takes a 12 second flush to stop the water boiling on exit, the boiler pressure is a bit high.

Id be dropping the pressure .1 bar at a time until there was no boiling on exit. When the pressure is too low, youll notice the shots turning a bit sour and (IMO) with milk, the coffee tastes a bit raw and beaney.

Greg

You got me Coffeehorse. So its video diagnosis time.

This was the flush that I ran before this mornings cofee. The machine was turned on about 45 minutes to an hour prior to the video and no water was previously run through.

To my untrained eye, the water seems to be flashing to steam until about the 15 second mark of the video.

If this is actually what superheated water looks like, Ill look to adjust the temperature as Greg suggested - I would not want to rely on my tastebuds for taste adjustment, they may not be there just yet.

Thoughts anyone?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbw_00SrJM4[/media]

Definitely running hot. Id agree with Greg - drop the pressure slowly until there is little or no steam from the grouphead.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by 485C4740494B714A594B42424B5C2E0 link=1250665323/14#14 date=1251074460
    Definitely running hot. Id agree with Greg - drop the pressure slowly until there is little or no steam from the grouphead.

Grant
    Need to be a bit careful though.... Do this while checking the steam capacity as well otherwise you may adjust the pressure setting down to a point where available steam falls off too quickly.

Cheers :)
    Mal.

Apologies to revive such an old thread, but after looking at that video and tasting my espresso, I've come to the conclusion that my Domus Galatea is running too hot. I was wondering if there were instructions on how to make the adjustment?

Cheers

Stu