Thread: Tamping: Tap and Twist?

Tamping: Tap and Twist?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just wondering how many of you tap and twist to polish when tamping? Seems to be differing schools of thought. And when you polish, how much pressure do you apply?

And while were at it, *do you worry about leaving a gap between the puck and showerscreen? On my Giotto, Ive noticed if I remove the group handle before the shot, theres already a light impression on the puck. Evidently Im updosing, but Im not sure if this is bad or not. Noticing a bit of pitting at the sides sometimes, maybe the start of a channel. Not sure whether thats overdosing, bad tamping or what.

Cheers

Re: Tamping: Tap and Twist?

My routine is
    Dose to fill the basket
    Tap grouphandle to settle grounds
    Dose to form a mound
    Tap to settle again
    Level off using NSEW action
    Tamp lightly using just the weight of the tamper
    Lightly tap tamper against the side of the gh to loosen grounds caught on the edge of the basket
    Tamp firmly and polish the top of the puck by a bit of a twist
    Insert into grouphead and pour the shot.

There should be very slight resistance of the puck against the shower screen when inserting.. Its not a good idea to remove the gh before the pour as you may (ie probably will) damage the puck and get channeling

The level of dosing depends on several factors - atmospheric conditions such as humidity being critical.

The grounds will expand when wet so seeing an impression should be normal. Not seeing an impression means underdosing - especially if the extraction is too quick. Channeling (pitting at the sides) means you need to improve distribution. Work on ensuring the edges of the basket are properly filled, especially where the handle meets the filter holder.
    If you keep having this problem, and it took me a while to get right, consider investing in a naked gh. It will show you how good/bad your distribution is.

I used to be a tap and twist until I did David Makins course and they dont tap at Vaneziano. *The school of thought there is that tapping after you have tamped can loosen the grinds down the side of the filter from the shock of the tap and allow for channeling.

I am not sure if it does or not, but not tapping has not effected my shot quality at all so I dont do it just in case.*

I fill the basket
    Collapse twice
    Fill the basket a bit more
    Level off and distribute to edges
    Tamp
    Twist

For me it is about repeating the same thing everytime.

The twist to polish is only very light for me, I just like to see the grounds even across the top.

I have an expobar that has a low shower screen and i tend to up dose anyway as my beans that I roast are usually only a few days old and fresh and tend to blond quickly.

It tends to leave a slight impression from the screen on the puck, the puck is firm and springing though when finished and the pour is a nice mouse tail with the 25 to 30ml in about 25 seconds.

Its also worth remembering that the fresher the bean, the more C02 it will release and this too can cause the puck to rise a bit like a cake during extraction and press up on the shower screen.

I used to drive myself nuts worrying about all of the little nuances, but I now just worry about the end product. *If the coffee tastes good to me and the people I am making it for, then I am happy.

Two shots I pulled this morning turned out pucks like this (both the same puck in pic). Pitted and fairly wet.

Pour started around 8-9 seconds, some drops, some rat tails, and what appeared to be blonding maybe as early as 15 seconds.

Not sure if this is significant but the 58mm espro tamper seems pretty sloppy in the standard Giotto double basket.

Quote Originally Posted by 545E4B5C5C534741320 link=1251582681/1#1 date=1251586787
    If you keep having this problem, and it took me a while to get right, consider investing in a naked gh. It will show you how good/bad your distribution is.
    Think I will do that, and maybe Scotties dosing tools. Which basket do you use with the naked GH?

If you buy a naked gh from coffee parts, it comes with a triple basket included.

They sound like the same sort of problems I was having while trying to get my dose-distribute-tamp right. A perfectly fitting tamper will help to eliminate poor tamping around the edges but nit what you have experienced. You are more likely to see wormholes.

I suspect you are underdosing a bit FT which will result in wet pucks. But I also see dry areas oin the NW section suggesting that you need to work on your distribution.

I use a straight edge (small steel ruler, actually) and chop up the grinds so there are no clumps. Then sweep the grinds NSEW across the top of the basket ensuring that all the edges are evenly filled
    If you havent done so, attend a home barista course - one where they will allow you to use your own machine (or one of their GPPs).

The naked handle helps. I could see the areas of least resistance that revealed poorly distribution - mainly around the south to SE area of the basket.

I always use a double basket - a Synesso that came with my Pullman. I now mostly use the naked gh with the blind filter for water and chemical backflushes.

Quote Originally Posted by 32312222353C500 link=1251582681/5#5 date=1251590501
    If you buy a naked gh from coffee parts, it comes with a triple basket included.
    So not only is it triple, its a single shot for one cup. A cup you might throw out.

Sounds like youd go through a lot of beans trying to tune your technique. Is that really useful?

Quote Originally Posted by 5D574255555A4E483B0 link=1251582681/6#6 date=1251591181
    I always use a double basket - a Synesso that came with my Pullman.
    Does the synesso differ greatly from the Giotto basket, in that its worth getting one?

They sound like the same sort of problems I was having while trying to get my dose-distribute-tamp right. A perfectly fitting tamper will help to eliminate poor tamping around the edges but nit what you have experienced. You are more likely to see wormholes.

I suspect you are underdosing a bit FT which will result in wet pucks. I also see a dryish area in the NW section suggesting that you need to work on your distribution.

I use a straight edge (small steel ruler, actually) and chop up the grinds so there are no clumps. Then sweep the grinds NSEW across the top of the basket ensuring that all the edges are evenly filled
    If you havent done so, attend a home barista course; one where they will allow you to use your own kit (or one of their GPPs). The instructor can watch you and see where your technique can be improved.

The naked handle helps. I could see the areas of least resistance that revealed poorly distribution - mainly around the south to SE area of the basket. I use a double basket with the naked - a Synesso that came with my Pullman. I now mostly use the naked gh with the blind filter for water and chemical backflushes.

Just to go back to your point about twisting the tamper (polishing the puck). I dont know if it will improve the pour but I actually just give it a little spin without applying any pressure. If the tamp is even, the tamper should spin easily, if its lopsided, it may not but that also depends on how closely fitting your tamper is to the basket.

The tamper is actually one of the least critical aspects of preparing the shot. When I was demonstrating my last machine (VBM Piccolo) to the buyer *I prepared a shot and tamped it with the crappy plastic tamper that came with the VBM. Theres a gap of about 3 or 4 mm between the tamper and basket. The resulting extraction was one of the best I ever made on the VBM - a perfect pour! I momentarily wondered whether I should have upgraded after all *:-/

Quote Originally Posted by 5F6C7D7E7C6D6B6C7A727C6B190 link=1251582681/8#8 date=1251591431
    Does the synesso differ greatly from the Giotto basket, in that its worth getting one?
    No, the Giotto basket is good and thats the one I nearly always use for extractions . I wouldnt say the Synesso is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 555F4A5D5D524640330 link=1251582681/9#9 date=1251591775
    I use a straight edge (small steel ruler, actually) and chop up the grinds so there are no clumps.
    Ah ha, so youre a Chicago Chopper! I wondered about that technique. If clumping really is an issue, is only breaking up the clumps above the rim line enough to solve uneven distribution or would you need to go to the extremes of raking through it with a needle of some sort (Weiss method)? All the latter did for me was create an even bigger mess of grounds on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by 487B6A696B7A7C7B6D656B7C0E0 link=1251582681/11#11 date=1251593401
    Ah ha, so youre a Chicago Chopper!
    ;D Is that what its called? Sounds like I need to plead guilty to that charge. Should I be using a switchblade instead of a ruler??

Using the CC not only breaks up clumps but ensures a more ven distribution in my experience.

Ive used the Weiss technique (WDT) before and it does help but its a bit of a nuisance. Think of it as remedial and instructive, not a persistent distribution technique.

Another idea to reduce clumping is to dose through the doser. I only add enough beans for a shot to the hopper and then, while grinding, thwack the doser lever so the grinds go straight into the basket and dont sit in the hopper => fewer clumps

Quote Originally Posted by 685B4A494B5A5C5B4D454B5C2E0 link=1251582681/8#8 date=1251591431
    Quote Originally Posted by 5D574255555A4E483B0 link=1251582681/6#6 date=1251591181
    I always use a double basket - a Synesso that came with my Pullman. *
    I also got a synesso basket with my Pullman - when compared visually, the synesso basket has deeper sides, so should hold a gram or two more coffee. I havent measured this - just looks bigger *:)

As for the twist at the end to polish - I just use the weight of the tamper.

My experience with the GPP is that if you overdose you can barely get the group handle to lock. If you are getting a light impression before extraction, this sounds about right, but are you applying enough pressure when tamping?

Dont assume getting a perfectly fitted tamper/basket combo will fix all of your extraction woes. When you think about it no Pro uses a tamper that is fitted to 1/10th of a millimetre to the basket (three or more baskets has too much variation).

Quote Originally Posted by 3F35203737382C2A590 link=1251582681/12#12 date=1251598897
    Another idea to reduce clumping is to dose through the doser. I only add enough beans for a shot to the hopper and then, while grinding, *thwack the doser lever so the grinds go straight into the basket and dont sit in the hopper => fewer clumps
    Still working on my distribution and seeing some improvements, but not quite there yet. I wonder if temperature could be playing a part in me seeing early blonding? I flush about a third to half a cup through the head a few minutes before I pull. Reckon thats about right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4B78696A68797F786E66687F0D0 link=1251582681/15#15 date=1251620469
    I wonder if temperature could be playing a part in me seeing early blonding? I flush about a third to half a cup through the head a few minutes before I pull. Reckon thats about right?
    No, get grind and distribution correct first. The GPP is quite thermostable so it shouldnt be necessary for a cooling flush and if you have to, only a quick one.

Once again, if you are able to do, book yourself into a course.

Quote Originally Posted by 3F35203737382C2A590 link=1251582681/16#16 date=1251621066
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B78696A68797F786E66687F0D0 link=1251582681/15#15 date=1251620469
    I wonder if temperature could be playing a part in me seeing early blonding? I flush about a third to half a cup through the head a few minutes before I pull. Reckon thats about right? *
    No, get grind and distribution correct first. The GPP is quite thermostable so it shouldnt be necessary for a cooling flush and if you have to, *only a quick one.

Once again, if you are able to do, book yourself into a course.
    Thanks for that advice, I guess what Im doing here is trying to connect with other users of the same machine to set some benchmarks. Theres so much advice online, but you have to cherrypick whatll work with your setup. You also go through hundreds of dollars of beans just trying to dial in the grind, not knowing whether you have one of the other variables wrong.

This morning, for example, I tried coarsening the grind two notches, filling to 3/4, tapping twice, filling to overflowing, tapping twice, NSEW with my pinky finger, tamped lightly using nutating motion (like a flipped coin settling) two light taps, 30 lb standardised tamp, following by unpressured twist. Result: gusher with light crema (attractive though), puck wet and pitted at 5 oclock. *Then I did the same except I used a credit card to chop and distributed NSEW, similar result, though pitted at 1 oclock. Getting pretty frustrated.

The beans Im using could be part of the problem - PNG, quite oily. Ill be changing back to a lighter roast in a couple of days, so no doubt that will also have some effect.

TC

Hi fudge,

I really think youre fiddling with the puck too much and it sounds like youre underdosing as well.

Try a dose and collapse method and practise getting the tamp done in one go.

I think that if you have wasted hundreds of dollars of brown you would benefit from some shot training to help you get it right and do so rapidly...You need a way of getting consistent dose and tamp.

Good luck...

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 7D4E5F5C5E4F494E58505E493B0 link=1251582681/17#17 date=1251669606

I guess what Im doing here is trying to connect with other users of the same machine to set some benchmarks. Theres so much advice online, but you have to cherrypick whatll work with your setup. You also go through hundreds of dollars of beans just trying to dial in the grind, not knowing whether you have one of the other variables wrong.
    Well Im not sure there are too many snobs on here who havent many frustrating hours, weeks or even month trying to get the DDT right, regardless of the machine. Read all you like but practice makes perfect and that time will be reduced if you have someone demonstrate and/or watch you.

Beans will vary at any time. One grinder will vary from the next, even if the same brand and model. The same bean will require some adjustment to the grind as it ages or when environmental conditions change. You need to adapt, to the bean not the other way around. Yes, some beans are more difficult than others.

Good advice offered by one of the more knowledgeable CSers (Luca) is to stick with the same bean for at least a month as that takes one variable out of the equation and work on getting a good pour out of that bean.

A wet puck may indicate too fine a grind but it can also indicate under-dosing. The fact that you are getting pitting at different positions suggests that you still havent got the correct distribution. When chopping or sweeping with the credit card, try working more grinds into the edges. That helped for me.

Patience, grasshopper. It took me months to get my DDT right.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F30283E353E323B3B3838303C335D0 link=1251582681/18#18 date=1251670548
    Hi fudge,

I really think youre fiddling with the puck too much and it sounds like youre underdosing as well.

Try a dose and collapse method and practise getting the tamp done in one go.
    Bit of a catch 22 there. If I dont fiddle with the puck, apparently Im not distributing. Underdosing, I dont quite get either. If Im filling, settling, overfilling, settling and scraping flat, then the only way to get more in would be to compress. To confuse matters more, Ive ordered a set of dosing tools whose main purpose I understand is to reduce dosing. Apparently this is superior to scraping with a straight edge.

So, its not really so much not knowing how to D&D, but trying to choose between one of the many rules of thumb, and that includes whatever someone who teaches barista training advises, and yes, Ive read and watched plenty of those as well.

I tried coarsening the grind two notches
    Result: gusher

To slow down a gusher you need to either:
    Fine up the grind or
    Add more coffee

Both of those options add more resistance to the water, thereby slowing the pour.

Never change more than one variable at a time so you know what the result is of your change.

Variables:
    Beans
    Grind
    Dose
    Tamp
    etc

It should be more simple then your making it. I agree with Chris to much mucking around especially with your gear which is of a proffesional standard.

To dose- overfill the basket till there is a mound on top.
    -Bang your group handle on the bench or on your mazzers forks to settle the grinds.
    - Scrape the coffee of the top so its flat and even,
    -Tamp once firmly and evenly

Do those things consistenly and adjust the grind to control the extraction rate. Adjust finer to slow things down, coarser to speed things up.

Thats the best advice I can give in an online forum. Otherwise you might benefit from some hands on training.

hey FT.
    some thoughts i hope are helpful to add to whats has already been offered. (no particular order)

1. sometimes its easy to have some side channeling (like your photos) when the top of the puck meets the ridge of the basket.
    2. you said that you are collapsing four times as you dose. that would make me think that you are updosing TOO HIGH.
    3. im not convinced that there are better/worse ways to distribute. stockfleths and chicago choppers and nsweers i think are all fine usually. the thing is to repeat the process the same way for a number of shots to see what happens. if you chop, do you chop pretty much the same number of times? when you chop, you are compressing coffee somewhat. the dosing tools are NOT meant to necessarily help you consistently underdose, but to dose consistently (hence you can collapse as you dose, then sweep off with the dosing tool - its prob more consistent than a bent finger)
    4. tapping the side of the handle to loosen the coffee on the filter ridge. i reckon this has never made heaven open its doors for me. i dont like it one bit. try tapping the side of the handle and then tipping over the handle seeing if the puck comes out, versus the same experimeent with no side tap. shud help to illustrate the (often) damaging effect of side tapping on puck adhesion.
    5. choose ONE coffee (prob a blend) and stick with it for some weeks so you can TRY and take one variable out. try and keep the coffee relatively within the same post-roats freshness too.
    6. how much impression are you getting before pulling the shot? im also not convinced that having your perfect puck be ruined by the showerscreen is a good thing. others disagree.

itll come together - it will.
    aaron

Too much input now. Were probably confusing the poor guy.

FT: What I said works for me.

Do a course and/or buy a naked grouphandle. If you cant do the course, get naked and check CoffeeGeek for the article on diagnosing extraction problems.

Everyone: Thanks for your advice. I now have a naked PF with triple basket, and dosing tools, but as yet only used once.

Unfortunately, I still have the same issue of the pit as Aaron describes under the ridge of the basket. Happens irrespective of dose, grind, basket or distribution.

Ive gone back to simple: overload basket, collapse x2, repeat, scrape South to North once with SC dosing tool 3, click tamp (Espro) once no tap, blow excess grinds lightly and extract with same result. I still see a single pit under the ridge usual between 11 oclock and 2 oclock, though occasionally elsewhere.

Seems to me the only variable left is my tamper, tamping technique (could it really be that sensitive?), or damaging the puck upon inserting the group handle.

I havent tried the plastic tamper that came with the Giotto yet!

I should add Ive been successfully pumping coffee on a lever machine for over a decade, so Im not a complete newbie with a tamper, though I do feel like one right now!

Any more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by 5261707371606661777F7166140 link=1251582681/25#25 date=1251927461
    I should add Ive been successfully pumping coffee on a lever machine for over a decade, so Im not a complete newbie with a tamper, though I do feel like one right now!
    Probably useful to have mentioned that up front so we know we arent dealing with a novice.

What happens when you use the naked gh? Are there squirts from around the area where the channeling is occurring?

Check out the shower screen. Is there any damage or gaps at the point where the channeling is occurring? Perhaps even carefully remove the seal + shower screen and inspect .

What coffee are you using? It might be the time to try another bean. Ive had beans that can be tricky to get a good pour out of.

Try going a tiny bit finer and changing to a #5 dosing tool (assuming youre using the home set)

I come from foreign lands and I was always told that the art of tamping etc was to overfill the basket and then scrape NSWE with finger, tamp, small twist and to test whether youve applied enough force you should be able to roll the basket over and the puck not fall out. Pays to do this ona tray to catch the grounds until you have confidence in your technique. I kid you not ;D
    I suffered upgraditis and now become a true newbie again as different grinder and machine takes a bit more mastering and I aint got the combo of dosing and tamp right yet..but it will come.

My question is that I find much greater variation in bean oilyness in this part of the woods. Obviously this reflects the beans origin and I am not used to the breadth of different beans that one can source. I have some very fresh beans that are very dry. How does the oilness of beans affect the grind and shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 76535440434552654940404343260 link=1251582681/28#28 date=1252215109
    I come from foreign lands and I was always told that the art of tamping etc was to overfill the basket and then scrape NSWE with finger, tamp, small twist and to test whether youve applied enough force you should be able to roll the basket over and the puck not fall out. Pays to do this ona *tray to catch the grounds until you have confidence in your technique. *I kid you not *;D
    I suffered upgraditis and now become a true newbie again as different grinder and machine takes a bit more mastering and I aint got the combo of dosing and tamp right yet..but it will come.

My question is that I find much greater variation in bean oilyness in this part of the woods. Obviously this reflects the beans origin and I am not used to the breadth of different beans that one can source. I have some very fresh beans that are very dry. How does the oilness of beans affect the grind and shot?
    Your technique sounds good, keep doing it and consistency will follow. As much as people hate to admit it I think most of us get bum shots now and again. Especially on home equipment and when trying to limit wastage. *In time when this happens you will know where you went wrong.

Personally I have a high propensity to overdose and choke the machine. I always know when Ive done this but rather then trying again I lock it in and cross my fingers. The results are fairly predictable. *;)

Oiliness is usually link with how dark the roast is however as with everthing in coffee it varies between varieties used as well as equipment used.
    Commercial beans roasted on professional equipment seem more likely to show a little bit of oil then then the hot air roasting that I do.

Tried: changing beans; adjusting grind; dosing tools 5-2; various distribution techniques; removing, cleaning and refitting shower screen; triple basket; and the original POS tamper. As a rule I dose to 3/4, knock twice on the forks, overfill and repeat, light tamp, no knock, firm tamp and twist 360 twice with only the weight of the tamper.

Still no luck.

What Im seeing constantly is a thin layer of grounds piled up around the edge of the basket, and always a single pit usually one side of the North, but occasionally elsewhere. The puck is more often than not overly wet. Ive even had it stick to the shower screen. Flow time is about right: 25mls in between 20-30 seconds.

I suspect my tamping may not be square. Its a bit hard with the Espro being so heavy and thick, but when I check the puck post tamping its often off by a good 30 degrees. If I spot it, I retamp it as square as I can.

Pretty frustrating. Im blowed if I can figure out why this has to be so touchy.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0330212220313730262E2037450 link=1251582681/30#30 date=1252388106
    Tried: changing beans; adjusting grind; dosing tools 5-2; various distribution techniques; removing, cleaning and refitting shower screen; triple basket; and the original POS tamper. As a rule I dose to 3/4, knock twice on the forks, overfill and repeat, light tamp, no knock, firm tamp and twist 360 twice with only the weight of the tamper.

Still no luck.

What Im seeing constantly is a thin layer of grounds piled up around the edge of the basket, and always a single pit usually one side of the North, but occasionally elsewhere. The puck is more often than not overly wet. Ive even had it stick to the shower screen. Flow time is about right: 25mls in between 20-30 seconds.

I suspect my tamping may not be square. Its a bit hard with the Espro being so heavy and thick, but when I check the puck post tamping its often off by a good 30 degrees. If I spot it, I retamp it as square as I can.

Pretty frustrating. Im blowed if I can figure out why this has to be so touchy.
    Where are you located...

Maybe a fellow CS might have some time...

As what I am seeing on some of the pics - appears to be under dosing...

Just a simple question - Is your group handle level? I had a similar issue with the SB6910 and found what I thought was level was not quite and as a result had tamped harder to one side leaving the other open to channeling.

But I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by 4265707F110 link=1251582681/32#32 date=1252389274
    Just a simple question - Is your group handle level? *I had a similar issue with the SB6910 and found what I thought was level was not quite and as a result had tamped harder to one side leaving the other open to channeling. *

But I am no expert.
    Dude! Youre a genius. So obvious, yet obviously not.

I set up a makeshift portafilter stand, levelled it, tamped, noting that I still didnt tamp square, tamped again this time square and voila: a pitless dry puck.

The Espro is such a bulky tamper its damn near impossible to see whether its level from above. Must be a trick to it...

Glad I could help *;)

This only became obvious to me because I use a Pullman with the lines on the side of the tamper which highlighted to me what I was doing wrong. Happy tamping.

Pulled a couple more shots, again with perfect (ish) pucks, then paid a little less attention to the leveling (wasnt that bad) and once more with the pit. It really is incredibly unforgiving. Im not sure if theres an easy solution short of using a tamper with like you say, leveling lines, or one that finishes flush with the basket.

As it stands with the Espro, I have to tamp side on, then give it the once around and usually tamp again from another angle. Not a technique Id like to continue. The click action is handy in training you to use the same pressure every time, but trying to make it level seems like its going to become a chore. Unless Im missing something.

I find the GPP quite forgiving of that sort of thing.

I might occasionally get pitting but I rarely have a problem with the extraction due to poor DDT technique; mostly if I get the wrong grind

Quote Originally Posted by 32382D3A3A352127540 link=1251582681/36#36 date=1252449424
    I find the GPP quite forgiving of that sort of thing.

I might occasionally get pitting but I rarely have a problem with the extraction due to poor DDT technique; mostly if I get the wrong grind
    Not sure if the pitting is affecting the shot particularly. Its been tasting okay in the cup - with milk - I just find it a worrying sign that my technique isnt up to scratch.

With such a thick heavy piston, tts a shame the Espro tamper doesnt have some leveling lines. I notice a few coffeegeeks reporting the same issue of not being able to get consistent levels, while others giving it glowing reviews. Maybe Im just being fussy, but that does seem to be the point here.

I havent really played around with the NPF yet. Im sure that will expose even more flaws.

It only takes practice - After I realised I wasnt tamping flat, I paid attention to it and eventually I did not need to look to see if it was even. Making sure the group handle is level is the main part (to me) after that it is easy to be consistent. Practice makes perfect ;D