Thread: Polishing an E61?

Polishing an E61?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all. Whats the hot tip for getting my Domobar group head all shiny again? It sits next to my stove and gets splattered with oils etc a bit, so its kinda grimy in all the fiddly corners. The main flat surfaces are fine because I wipe them regularly, but in around the nuts and bolts it needs a good cleaning.
    Cheers,
    Matt.

Re: Polishing an E61?

If you cant get into the crevices of the screws and wipe them then your only option is to unscrew them and wash/brush them in a little tub "away from the sink hole"
    Rinse them the same way
    Dry & replace
    Dish-washing detergent will work OK

KK

Oh Im not anal enough to remove the screws to clean them, but wiping with a microfibre cloth isnt getting anywhere on the really baked-on stuff.

Guess Im just curious to know what detergents etc are safe (or otherwise) to use (eg dishwashing liquid, spray-n-wipe/ajax etc), or if a toothbrush is likely to scratch it up?

window cleaner works quite well

Quote Originally Posted by 694550507B6F4D4A43240 link=1252558167/2#2 date=1252562948
    Oh Im not anal enough to remove the screws to clean them, but wiping with a microfibre cloth isnt getting anywhere on the really baked-on stuff. *

Guess Im just curious to know what detergents etc are safe (or otherwise) to use (eg dishwashing liquid, spray-n-wipe/ajax etc), or if a toothbrush is likely to scratch it up?
    OK then

Degreaser on a soft micro-fibre cloth wipe gently on the grease until its all gone

Then with another clean cloth wet with water rinse off the chemical and remaining grease

Then you can dry polish

KK

Since the E-61s are usually chrome-plated brass, most polishing compounds are a real no-no.

When I get stubborn stains on mine I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner no. 17. It gives a shine to clear perspex and will not harm chrome. The guy who recommended it to me uses it in the final preparation of custom motorcycles--on the paints and on the chrome.

A well-used, well-rinsed, and softened-in-hot-water toothbrush gets into the crevices.

Greg

What about using SS cleaner, i use this on my machine and it comes up a treat, you just need to ensure you dont leave streaks on the surfaces

Mal

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 202D2E20420 link=1252558167/6#6 date=1252581543
    What about using SS cleaner, i use this on my machine and it comes up a treat, you just need to ensure you dont leave streaks on the surfaces

Mal
    I use steam from the steam wand into microfibre. If that doesn t work, glass cleaner. For stubborn stuff, backwash detergent cuts anything off. Better though to move the machine away from the source of the grease as you cant clean inside.

I have seen some absolutely disgusting machines and these will certainly fail prematurely leading to megabills for repair.

2mcm

Thanks. Unfortunately I dont have enough bench space to move it :( I always wipe down the main surfaces, the stainless just wipes clean with no issues, only the crome is stubborn. The cup tray is usually loaded with cups, that should prevent most vapour getting inside it.

I dont think I have any #17 any more but I do have some Plast-X, might try that or the windex.

I wouldnt be counting on cups on the cup warmer to keep out grease. Hot air rises so heated air escaping through the top of the machine will be replaced by cooler air being drawn in from the bottom. This will no doubt draw in grease fumes as well.

Consider getting a small trolley or computer desk. I bought one in OfficeWorks for $49 which might be wide enough to accommodate the depth of the VBM (Dimensions: 680 (W) x 450 (D) x 740mm (H). Use the slide-out keyboard tray for tamper, etc and theres space underneath for milk jugs and other coffee paraphernalia. Its on lockable castors so you can move it out of the way when not in use.

[Makes a great corretto stand by the way. Cooler sits nicely underneath]

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

hey flynn,
    Is that table you have stable enough?, how do you find it?, im in a simular situation, where i now have limited room, i had a silvia/rocky near the oven, and it was doable, now with the GPP on its way i think ill have to look at alternatives, really wanna take care of this one..... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 595D7B626267786F600E0 link=1252558167/10#10 date=1252629228
    Is that table you have stable enough?,
    As mentioned, Ive only had it a couple of days and its only holding my corretto. If you are only rolling it around the kitchen, then sure, its pretty sturdy. There isnt a max. load rating I think it should hold a VBM or GPP without too much trouble.

The assembly instructions are a bit more difficult than the standard Ikea fare but it wasnt that hard.

I had one of those tables as a computer table a few years back and if it could hold that stably then I am sure a coffee machine would be fine.

Oh and before you say "a machine with a 4l boiler ways more than a pc monitor" this was housing a 20" CRT monitor made back in the early 90s that easily weighed about 30Kgs plus the PC 8-)

Why not throw a tea-towel over it while youre cooking?

WD 40 ...... spray on ,wipe off ...... just be careful..... wipe on , wipe off

WD40 stinks.
    I wouldnt be putting it anywhere near my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5965786369687F6A62690D0 link=1252558167/15#15 date=1253055460
    I wouldnt be putting it anywhere near my machine. *

Whys that ......

kleen it up quick smart ...... your not putting it in it, just on it , its *stainless steel...... better than using detergent and water , that could cause corrosion *if it is not totally dried.

with WD 40 *and the like, *even if you cant total remove at the time of application it will harmlessly evaporate.

I did notice KK thought degreaser would be a go ...... same stuff , but wd40 is milder, and convenient.

Greg

Depending on how close the machine is to the stove maybe you could try one of those plastic computer monitor/keyboard covers to pop over the top of your machine when its not in use or when you are cooking. Obviously if its really close then its not a good idea ( it would melt or burn - and I wouldnt think its that great for your machine to be that close either.) Just a suggestion to keep it clean after you have found the best way to remove the grunge.

Tricky problem this one.

My machine is located ajacent to the stove-top as well.
    Covering the machine while cooking would only work for me until Sat/Sun morning.
    Cant contemplate bacon & eggs without coffee.

Ive kept an eye on the inside of my machine over 3.5yrs.
    No greasy/sticky build-up to date.

Matt, Id put an old (expendable) towel under the machine.
    Then mix up a small batch of mild backwash detergent as 2mcm suggested & get in there with a pastry brush.
    Followed by a thorough rinse.

Good luck

Re the stove stuff:
    1) its about 30cm away, and
    2) I cant seriously imagine its going to melt or burn - theres a boiler INSIDE it for heavens sake!

When I find some downtime (ie time in which I can spare a half day and dont want a coffee) Ill pull it down and check it out inside and do a descale.

So far windex and ajax have proved fairly ineffective on the chromework... Ill try the automotive products next.

I had a mark on the side of my Giotto, next to our cooking area. Windex, microfibre cloth and stainless polish did nothing. Car polish took the mark off, so my Giotto is nice and shiny again.

Im interested in the comment that car polish is not safe for chrome - Im not a car nut, so have not heard this before. Whats the reasoning for this? Based on how the polish (very mild ) cleaned the stainless, i was intending to use it all over as required.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E5247476C785A5D54330 link=1252558167/19#19 date=1253959517
    Ill try the automotive products next.
    Im still suggesting you wipe it down with a WD40 / RP7 type product ..... I would think it would do a better job than any auto polishing products. Buffing with polish MIGHT create swirls and affect appeareance.

After the WD40 wipe over , finish with a mirofibre cloth, it will come up beauiful without any blemishes ....

cheers
    Greg

Anybody tried the Spray and Wipe with the Orange oil?

I use it on my Unico and it is brillant! comes up like glass.

-Linda

Car polish is usually a wax with a bit of soft "grinding paste" added. If it is safe for paintwork it should be OK for both stainless and chrome, being so soft it wont damage the surface.

"Polishing compound" often has very hard particles in it, and these can scratch both chrome and stainless. Once chrome has been scratched it not only rusts, but has a tendency to crack on the scratches and let water under the chrome. This causes the chrome to lift off the metal underneath, and causes pits to form. These are very unattractive and show that the corrosion is going on under the chrome plating.

Greg

Just remembered... Im a bike rider and we clean our bikes with Mr Sheen. It is fantastic for all parts of a bike including the shiny bits. I clean a filthy bike with the stuff without prior washing - spray on, wipe off. It takes off all manners of grease and road grime.

Just tried it on giotto group head - worked a charm. :)

Its Mr Sheen Multi Surface Polish

Just a follow up - I ran some Meguairs Plastx over it with a clean terry towelling cloth and ... WOW!

I had forgotten it was supposed to be shiny in all those crevices. The stains on the surfaces I thought were clean lifted right off. The thicker grime takes a bit longer and more elbow grease, but Ill get it eventually. Will probably have to unscrew the mushroom to really clean it properly, so I will likely synchronise this with a full descale as well.

Before photo:

After. I pulled the mushroom and got in around the screw heads a bit more, there is still a little buildup on the top and in the recesses, but vastly better!
    Apologies for the white balance difference...

Quote Originally Posted by 0D21232321331F232829232B21400 link=1252558167/22#22 date=1254017602
    Anybody tried the Spray and Wipe with the Orange oil?

I use it on my Unico and it is brillant! comes up like glass.

-Linda
    That would work for sure ......!!!

There are a zillion options to use , almost anything combined with common sense.

hotshod