Thread: MY NEW KIT - VBM DOMOBAR SL

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

MY NEW KIT - VBM DOMOBAR SL

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

Just wanted to share my excitement of being the proud new owner of a Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever and Macap M5 Stepless Grinder, courtesy of Chris @ Talk Coffee.

Great service and no pushing for the sale - just a willingness to share his passion and impart knowledge to assist with making a right decision.

His patience is also an asset as he patiently responds to any and all questions, including all those noobie qs that am sure been asked many times before (and will be many times again ;D)

Only 4 days ago i was thinking of upgrading to a Silvia due less than impressed results with a Starbucks Barista machine (rebadged Via Venezio). *The pressurized group head did not help, nor did my (as it was clearly proven by helpful fellow CSers) inadequate grinder .. as turned out it could not grind consistently fine enough to make decent espresso ....

So fastrack 4 days ahead and after much feedback and research I decide to lash out and make it count. Thus am the new father (less than 12 hours young *;D) to a beautiful VBM Domobar Super Lever and Macap M5. *Pullman Barista Tamper is on its way too *;)

I still pinch myself but am very happy with my decision. *The first 2 coffees I pulled re-iterated that - whilst far from perfect, they were considerably better than anything Id made, and definitely rivaled some cafe experiences. So in my eyes things can only get better... *8-)

Here are some pics (not great but I was shaking with excitement!!) of my new setup and my FIRST coffee. The milk texturing wasnt great, but again better than I dared hope for my first attempt. *Yummo.

Now the fun of developing a consistent routine, tamping, dosing, milk texture...sooo much to learn. Im looking forward to the journey with my new girl. Think Ill call her Veroncia, in honour of my grandmother. *She couldnt make coffee, but she could sure pull a (verbal) shot and was known to vent plenty of steam in her day *:o ::)

Re: MY NEW KIT - VBM DOMOBAR SL

Congrats Crema Lad. Welcome to The Pointy End.

Love the reasoning behind the name also, hahahahah!

Oh, and once that lovely Pullman tamper arrives, your consistency will go up another notch also ;)

Well done.

Caff.

Quote Originally Posted by 6B5A4D45497764494C280 link=1254492797/0#0 date=1254492797
    Here are some pics (not great but I was shaking with excitement!!)

Its OK, you can admit it here; its not really from excitement, is it? Were all shaky after getting a new machine. I had the shakes for days after getting my VBM (and the silvia before it)... running it in and testing it, dialing in the grinder etc, you cant pour _all_ those shots down the sink *;D Even once you have it all dialled as well as you like it, you cant just let it sit there and do nothing... you have to use it as much as possible! then you start to get anxious and panicky...ahh what the heck, a coffee will calm the nerves, may as well make one more *;)

Grats on your purchase. I know it can hurt for a bit dishing out all the $$, especially if you are (as you seem to be) quite new to the "hobby". But as you may well be aware (and is in fact, probably how you justified the purchase) youll never need to upgrade. Unfortunately (or not...) youll probably have trouble drinking coffee and 95% of cafes you visit from now on :)

Enjoy!

Great combo Crema_Lad..... 8-)

Congratulations mate... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Thanks All...and Sammus youve hit it on the head mate *;)

Note I didnt give any technical data on my first pours....no way..it was a bit of grind, fill,tap, fill,tap, tamp,fingers crossed, pour.....

But it will get better an as confidence builds so to will the questions ..

I better get to bed...looking forward to waking up to that first coffee of the day...aaaaah ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 566468687076050 link=1254492797/2#2 date=1254494353
    youll probably have trouble drinking coffee and 95% of cafes you visit from now on
    That is my goal - to be able to enjoy cafe quality (and I mean a good cafe) coffee at home. *Todays virgin cups were pretty good so Im pretty confident my investment will pay off.....in time...ha!!

Cheers guys :)

Hey Crema Lad,

Quote Originally Posted by 59687F777B45567B7E1A0 link=1254492797/4#4 date=1254496115
    I better get to bed...looking forward to waking up to that first coffee of the day...aaaaah Grin
    The scary thing is when you cant get to sleep because of the days caffeine intake... but you still feel that way about tomorrows brews!

Cheers
    Stuart.

To me, there is nothing better than the first coffee made the next morning after buying a new kit. The excitement you experience after getting it home for the first time is replaced by this strong feeling of satisfaction; euphoria even. That first sip ...mmmmmm. I can almost taste the memory. Makes me want to go out again and buy a new...

<SLAP>. Sorry folks, that was the missus bringing me back to my senses. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 040E1B0C0C031711620 link=1254492797/6#6 date=1254518550
    can almost taste the memory. Makes me want to go out again and buy a new...
    Steve ...

Settle ...Settle ..... youll get over it

Quote Originally Posted by 62657E7962656E0A0 link=1254492797/7#7 date=1254526928
    Settle ...Settle ..... youll get over it *
    ;D *I had a laugh, I need to tell myself this also.

I am cruising in caffeine heaven. Two large lattes this morning, 2nd one had silky smooth milk, great crema....I was ready to pay myself for the privelege *:P

Just been spending time tweaking the grinder (not easy!) but did get my first real honey drip with tiger stripings.. *almost Pixxed my pants with excitement *:o :D

Im struggling with two things at the mo -
    1. dosing - the VBM has a lowish showerscreen so if you fill the basket it is almost too hard to get onto machine. Need to allow for this in technique.
    2. Tamping. Awaiting my Pullman tamper, in meantime using freaking useless plastic thingy out of box....is not even right size for basket so defintely my tamping is way off.

But...Im in noobie mode so practice makes perfect..all cups made so far have been more than drinkable *;)

My little girls birthday tonite - will put me to the test as I will no doubt be requested to make coffees (for the grown ups ) after they have suitable ooohed and aaaahed over my new setup.... * ;)

:o so you went from a starbucks machine to a VBMDS, and now youre going from a plastic tamper to a pullman? the difference in quality in each of those steps will probably be fairly similar ;D I didnt think anyone used those plastic tampers I had a laugh

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 1223343C300E1D3035510 link=1254492797/8#8 date=1254529804
    the VBM has a lowish showerscreen so if you fill the basket it is almost too hard to get onto machine. Need to allow for this in technique.
    Yes I found this when I went from a Sunbeam EM6910 to my Giotto, I assume its what all E61 machines are like. *I also found in going from a doserless (SB 0480) to a doser (Compak K3 Elite) there was less give in the coffee when tamping. *I guess the doserless gets rid of all the fluff before it ends up in the basket.

Sorry about all my highly technical jargon.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F3D3131292F5C0 link=1254492797/9#9 date=1254531737
    I didnt think anyone used those plastic tampers I had a laugh
    Trust me I didnt plan to, shouldve ordered my Pullman earlier. Only a few days wait..plenty to tinker with in the meantime and def look forward to noticing the change this variable makes ..should be good 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 26272D3E20253F4C0 link=1254492797/10#10 date=1254533089
    Sorry about all my highly technical jargon.
    I had a laugh.. I could keep up. Does that make me a senior noobie :P

Congrats on the machine; same happened to me! I think the most exciting thing is still learning how to define those smaller things that make the god shot come through, and then the sheer joy of being able to pull one, and then drinking it afterwards :) I dont think Ill ever forget the first time I got a great shot; pure crema which was almost like drinking liquid marshmellow in texture, and the taste was something else too! HAVE FUN ;D