Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Time to make a decision...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Time to make a decision...

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

    Ive been lurking for many moons while toiling away with my hopelessly inadequte Sunbeam combination. Well, the time has come to break the shackles and branch out into the pointy end.

    Ive narrowed it down to 2 machines:
    Minore III
    or
    Bezzera Domus Galatea

    So what do you think - heads or tails? :-/

  2. #2
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 676E7F7F66676E7F7F660F0 link=1255159206/0#0 date=1255159206
    Hi all,

    Ive been lurking for many moons while toiling away with my hopelessly inadequte Sunbeam combination. Well, the time has come to break the shackles and branch out into the pointy end.

    Ive narrowed it down to 2 machines:
    Minore III
    or
    Bezzera Domus Galatea

    So what do you think - heads or tails? :-/
    Both good machines and support from sponsors..

    1: Ya drink Milk or Black drinks in the main ?

    2: Space and look for teh Kitchen

    Other than that... If it is that close... Flick a coin.. It is a tried and true method when in a stalemate.

    AM

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Mostly milk, however with a quality machine I know Ill delve more into the black side. My wife on the other hand will always prefer the milk.

  4. #4
    senior member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    150

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    I can only comment on the Galatea having owned for a year:

    pros
    - quality build hasnt missed a beat
    - great steaming abilty (I changed to 2 hole tip)
    - quick boiler recovery (2 L / 1400w)
    - look and finish, rolled edges, no exposed screws etc
    - parts readily available from importer (Barazi QLD)

    cons
    - noisy pump
    - drip tray could be a tad larger
    - have had a few probs with seals/stiffness in ball joint of steamwand

    hope that helps somewhat, ;)

  5. #5
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Hi happihappi,

    Wa can offer you http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/6#6 if youre ready to move...

    Pricing is the best in Australia and far better than any competitor.

    Chris

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    929

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Ho Happihappi;

    This is agood time to be happy, we can offer you http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885, this special is for the month of October.

    Regards

    Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

  7. #7
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,115

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    I have owned the Bezzera Galatea for quite some time
    I have not once had the upgrade bug nibble at me
    (unlike my grinders ::))

    Put simply
    Its a well made machine with a great build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by 6E74706E767C79781D0 link=1255159206/3#3 date=1255185601
    cons
    - noisy pump
    - drip tray could be a tad larger
    - have had a few probs with seals/stiffness in ball joint of steamwand
    Vibe pump noise is normal as with other makes of machines

    Drip tray is a trade off for a smaller footprint to fit in smaller places or restricted kitchens

    KK

  8. #8
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    948

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Hi Happi

    If you are having a problem deciding show your wife a picture of both the Minore and the Galatea. See what she would like appearance-wise. Ill bet she will opt for the Galatea :-) Thats what finally decided for me when out of 6 machines I tried in a sponsors shop it narrowed down to two choices - both equal in performance. The Galatea looks very good.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 41656C6C6F6F5541657967650A0 link=1255159206/6#6 date=1255230199
    I have owned the Bezzera Galatea for quite some time

    I have not once had the upgrade bug nibble at me *
    I cant believe Ive finally convinced the boss to let me shell out close to $3K on a machine, so I definitely do not want to be catchin any upgrade bug for a loooong time *:D

    I am a little concerned Ill be missing out on something if I dont have PID. Im not confident I know exactly what the PID benefits are (more searching of the forums needed, appreciate any links you might know of), or what I might be missing out on without it.

    The other decision point for me is dual boiler vs HX. From what I can tell the pros / cons sit fairly evenly with both options.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D3E2B222B212327252B4E0 link=1255159206/7#7 date=1255232735
    If you are having a problem deciding show your wife a picture of both *
    Galatea won that battle by a knockout *:)

  10. #10
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,115

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 535A4B4B52535A4B4B523B0 link=1255159206/8#8 date=1255248828
    Galatea won that battle by a knockout
    As you are a Brisbane resident you can drive to Barazi @ Coopers Plains and try it out

    KK

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 694D444447477D694D514F4D220 link=1255159206/9#9 date=1255249273
    As you are a Brisbane resident you can drive to Barazi @ Coopers Plains and try it out

    KK
    Ive checked both units out in the flesh. Both performed exceptionally well according to my taste buds.

    Aesthetically, I was pleasantly surprised by the Minore, it was much better looking in the real life. I know exactly what its like to be less photogenic than others *;D

  12. #12
    Member peter.scales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    51

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    [QUOTE=5F70797B6C537F707F797B737B706A1E0 link=1255159206/1#1 date=1255159503]
    ... Flick a coin.. *It is a tried and true method when in a stalemate
    ...called a binary executive decision maker....also good for buy/sell decisions *8-)

  13. #13
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    IMO.

    A PID is nothing more than a precise way of maintaining or changing the set temperature in the boiler--and is therefore of most use in single boiler non-Hx, and double boiler machines, where the boiler water is used to brew the coffee.

    In an Hx machine the boiler temperature is controlled by steam pressure and is usually pretty tightly controlled. Most seem to be controlled within .2 or .3 bar (about 3 or 4C). The brewing temperature is then determined by the Hx design, and is changeable by adjusting the pressurestat, and water flushing.

    So---a PID on a double boiler will give more stable and adjustable temperates. An Hx machine will use fresh, non-boiled water to make the coffee.

    Think about what you want--set and forget temperature, or adjustable? Fresh water, or re-boiled? Can you taste the difference?--try it and see.

    Good luck, either way it will be a big step up from a Sunbeam, and remember to allocate sufficient funds for a quality grinder.

    Greg

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    I opted for the Minore because its easy to set the brew temperature precisely, and easy to alter it without lifting the lid and affecting the boiler pressure. Also having the water at the right temperature every time means no need for a cooling flush (in my experience anyway). Having said all that, I dont think Ive ever actually adjusted the brew temperature! Its just nice to know I can! ::)

    The drip tray can double as a lasagna dish (as you probably saw) which was great after the Silvias 500ml jobbie. Steaming ability is a little disappointing, in texturing time its a lot closer to the Silvia than a commercial machine and for a 1700ml dedicated boiler (compared to the Silvias 300ml) I was expecting a little more grunt.

    As to the reboiled water, the normal context of this relates to making tea in an electric kettles and the problem is is the depletion of oxygen; however where does the oxygen go in a sealed boiler? it doesnt just vanish or osmose through the brass boiler and out into the atmosphere. While high school chemistry was never my strong point, my understanding would be that the oxygen remains with the water when its in a sealed vessel, and as such reboiling isnt going to be the problem it is in a kettle.

    Happy to be convinced otherwise by more learned snobs though!

    Greg

  15. #15
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,202

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Not ever having had the opportunity to play with a Minore Greg..... Does the water actually boil in the Brew Water Boiler? Or, does it get heated to some point a few degrees below boiling?

    Mal.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    I came down to an almost identical decision between Expobar and Bezzera (though not the DG) a couple of weeks ago. I went with the Minore.

    My final decider was the Minores adjustability, coupled with its reputation for being "set and forget" if thats all you want. I bought a machine that could grow with me as I learnt more, but wouldnt punish me at this point on the curve (still pretty flat, all things considered).

    Two weeks later I am starting to make some very nice coffees fairly reliably. Even with the dreaded single basket. :)

    If youve used them both, and you didnt feel a tug of the heart either way, then it probably comes down to a list of pros and cons. (If you did feel a tug, then go for it!)

    I dont envy you the decision, but best of luck--and either way, in the long run your mouth will be happy.

    Danny M

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Hi all,

    Just a quick shout out to boast, Im the proud new owner of a Bezzera Domus Galatea!!

    It was a tough decision, but this is just one beautiful machine. Despite some of the technical features of the Minore, I found myself being pulled towards the Bezzera. I dare say, for exactly the same reason I choose a Mac over a PC - I like my toys to have a degree of sexiness *;)

    I gotta thank the community here for helping me make an informed decision. Not just in this post, the information contained in this forum was endless - thank you all. I look forward to participating in future forum discussions.

    Finally, and most importantly, Id like to hand a tonne of praise to Roger from Supreme Roasters at Yatala. His advice was honest, unbiased and plentiful. As a consumer, trust is a critical component of any transaction and Roger managed to build that credibility during our first discussion. He then backed up the talk with a service level youd be lucky to find anywhere. Whether that be staying late at work on a Saturday afternoon so I could make the 30 minute trip to test drive the Minore. Or personally delivering the machine to my home installing / commissioning the unit then patiently training my wife and I in its operation. All this at an ultra competitive price. Anyone in south east QLD should do themselves a favour and give Roger a call before taking the plunge.

    (pics to follow - after I clean up * ::))

  18. #18
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,148

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 373E2F2F36373E2F2F365F0 link=1255159206/16#16 date=1255499982
    Im the proud new owner of a Bezzera Domus Galatea!!
    Congrats... happihappi by name and nature now, I bet! I love the Art Deco look of the Bezzera DG too.

    Good to hear the tradition of great CS sponsor service is being maintained.

    Did you get a grinder as well HH or do you already have one?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D273225252A3E384B0 link=1255159206/17#17 date=1255503595
    Did you get a grinder as well
    I went with the BB004. While this model doesnt seem to have too many admirers around here, I considered it a safe choice at this stage of my journey.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Congrats Happi, surely a purdy piece of kit! ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5C71757974180 link=1255159206/14#14 date=1255357543
    Not ever having had the opportunity to play with a Minore Greg..... Does the water actually boil in the Brew Water Boiler? Or, does it get heated to some point a few degrees below boiling?

    Mal.
    Good question Mal. The PID readout is the predicted brew temperature, which from factory has a 10 degree offset below the boiler temperature. As 93C is the nominal setpoint this would put the boiler at 103C. However as the boiler is a sealed vessel I doubt the water would actually boil at that temperature; it would be at 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) at ambient but once it starts to heat up the pressure would rise, giving resistance to boiling just like a car radiator. When you open the hot water tap, water flows immediately without the pump being needed so the brew boiler is definitely under a certain amount of pressure; after a second or so the pump kicks in to keep it flowing. The hot water out of the tap spits and spatters so its obviously around the 100C mark, however from the group its always well-behaved water.

    I guess with the design of the E61 you need to have water sitting a bit above the desired extraction temperature. Perhaps a better design would be to use a fully insulated group so the offset can be much lower, given the E61s really designed for use with a HX.

  21. #21
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    HH there is an unwritten rule here that you must post pictures of your bling in their new home.

    Congratulations and well done to Supreme Roasters.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Just adding my congrats, happihappi. And quietly speaking up in defence of the sexiness of the Minore, even though Im a Mac user as well.

    Possibly its because I think of the Minore as a boy... Vive la difference! :)

    And of course, enjoy!

    Danny M

  23. #23
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,115

    Re: Time to make a decision...



    Welcome to the Bezzera Club


    KK

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    What made you go for the BB004? ::)

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 57565C4F51544E3D0 link=1255159206/20#20 date=1255565633
    HH there is an unwritten rule here that you must post pictures of your bling in their new home.
    Coming soon...

    Quote Originally Posted by 785A5C515449583D0 link=1255159206/21#21 date=1255578348
    And quietly speaking up in defence of the sexiness of the Minore
    :) As you should. The Minore is no ugly duckling. IMO this is a machine that needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate it looks.

    Quote Originally Posted by 74595853495449443D0 link=1255159206/23#23 date=1255587989
    What made you go for the BB004?
    I considered this a safe bet. Basically I was able to test drive the combo & it just worked.
    I dont know enough about the intricacies of the grind to make a fully informed decision about what type of grinder would best suit me, therefore I went with the safest option that wont hurt too much if I get a case of upgradeitis. But dont tell the missus...*;D

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Okey dokey, a couple of pics as promised.








  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Thats one super dooper shiney beautiful toy youve purchased there!

    well done

    enjoy!!! :D

  28. #28
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Thats some impressive bling youve got there, nice pics.

  29. #29
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 6763455C5C5946515E300 link=1255159206/26#26 date=1255611464
    Thats one super dooper shiney beautiful toy youve purchased there!

    well done

    enjoy!!! :D
    AND

    Quote Originally Posted by 5A5B51425C5943300 link=1255159206/27#27 date=1255615230
    Thats some impressive bling youve got there, nice pics.
    Must keep ya partner busy all day just keeping the shine... Do they do as well a job on the car ?

    If so ya want to trade for a weekend... My car is dirty *:D

    Glad that the forum was of assistance and that you and your wife are sharing ;)

  30. #30
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 66494042556A46494640424A424953270 link=1255159206/28#28 date=1255616038
    Must keep ya partner busy all day just keeping the shine... Do they do as well a job on the car ?

    If so ya want to trade for a weekend... My car is dirty *:D

    Glad that the forum was of assistance and that you and your wife are sharing *;)
    For second there I thought you were suggesting a weekend wife swap. I then re-read it.

  31. #31
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 6D6C66756B6E74070 link=1255159206/29#29 date=1255642567
    Quote Originally Posted by 66494042556A46494640424A424953270 link=1255159206/28#28 date=1255616038
    Must keep ya partner busy all day just keeping the shine... Do they do as well a job on the car ?

    If so ya want to trade for a weekend... My car is dirty *:D

    Glad that the forum was of assistance and that you and your wife are sharing *;)
    For second there I thought you were suggesting a weekend wife swap. *I then re-read it. *
    And if ya re read it again ;)

  32. #32
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 49666F6D7A456966696F6D656D667C080 link=1255159206/30#30 date=1255643146
    And if ya re read it again *;)
    Still a little ambiguous according to my dirty mind ;D

  33. #33
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,148

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 624D4446516E424D4244464E464D57230 link=1255159206/30#30 date=1255643146
    If so ya want to trade for a weekend... My car is dirty
    Yep ... I see your point CJ. That does sound like it might be a euphemism that a wife-swapper could use to determine interest..<nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more> ;)

    Not that Id know such things :-?

  34. #34
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    257

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 747D6C6C75747D6C6C751C0 link=1255159206/16#16 date=1255499982
    Hi all,

    Just a quick shout out to boast, Im the proud new owner of a Bezzera Domus Galatea!!

    It was a tough decision, but this is just one beautiful machine. Despite some of the technical features of the Minore, I found myself being pulled towards the Bezzera. I dare say, for exactly the same reason I choose a Mac over a PC - I like my toys to have a degree of sexiness *;)

    I gotta thank the community here for helping me make an informed decision. Not just in this post, the information contained in this forum was endless - thank you all. I look forward to participating in future forum discussions.

    Finally, and most importantly, Id like to hand a tonne of praise to Roger from Supreme Roasters at Yatala. His advice was honest, unbiased and plentiful. As a consumer, trust is a critical component of any transaction and Roger managed to build that credibility during our first discussion. He then backed up the talk with a service level youd be lucky to find anywhere. Whether that be staying late at work on a Saturday afternoon so I could make the 30 minute trip to test drive the Minore. Or personally delivering the machine to my home installing / commissioning the unit then patiently training my wife and I in its operation. All this at an ultra competitive price. Anyone in south east QLD should do themselves a favour and give Roger a call before taking the plunge.

    (pics to follow - after I clean up * ::))
    Thank you so much for the kind words Jason! It was an absolute pleasure dealing with you and your wife and seeing the surprise on your faces as to how much of an improvement it was compared to the gaggia. I hope the machine brings you and your partner many a beautiful shot for the years to come!

    By the way do you have a favourite blend/origin between the espresso/mocha java/colombian/guat/png/decaf yet? ;D

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Quote Originally Posted by 47776C626D716077566C6160050 link=1255159206/33#33 date=1256210151
    Thank you so much for the kind words Jason! It was an absolute pleasure dealing with you and your wife and seeing the surprise on your faces as to how much of an improvement it was compared to the gaggia. I hope the machine brings you and your partner many a beautiful shot for the years to come!

    By the way do you have a favourite blend/origin between the espresso/mocha java/colombian/guat/png/decaf yet?Grin
    Weve chewed through the PNG, Espresso, Brazil and are currently in the process of devouring the Colombian. The Colombian has recently overtaken the PNG blend as the fav. Expect a visit sometime soon *:)

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    87

    Re: Time to make a decision...

    Oooh shiney! Congrats happihappi. Thats some spectacular kit youve got there!



Similar Threads

  1. time to make a decision... help
    By Krazy in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th April 2010, 12:26 PM
  2. No time to Smell the Roses; or make a Coffee :o
    By Thundergod in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22nd August 2009, 10:09 PM
  3. <$2000 HX - Tea, Splendor, Expobar leva,BZ07 - decision time is here!
    By pharmaboy in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 3rd June 2009, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •