Thread: Water quality help

Water quality help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,
    Im a newby and have a question thats probably (1) been asked dozens of time before and (2) might be unanswerable anyway. If either is the case I apologise.

Here goes anyway... I will be taking delivery of a Vibiemme Domobar Super and Mazzer Mini next week for my first plunge into a high end espresso machine. I will be assessing the equipment for possible future purchases for my business so I want to give them a fair go.

I watched the instructional videos on the ECA (Vibiemme agents) website and one comment confused me. The presenter said "Dont use overly purified or overly filtered water including rainwater in your machine, this will cause problems with your machine."

This machine will be used at Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast and I have no idea of water quality here (it seems OK to me). I have both filtered tap water and unfiltered tap water at my sink and I have no idea which to use; or if either will harm my machine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers *:)
    NOG

A_M

Re: Water quality help

Quote Originally Posted by 4F545542575E4C52483B0 link=1256363051/0#0 date=1256363051
    Hi guys,
    Im a newby and have a question thats probably (1) been asked dozens of time before and (2) might be unanswerable anyway. If either is the case I apologise.

Here goes anyway... I will be taking delivery of a Vibiemme Domobar Super and Mazzer Mini next week for my first plunge into a high end espresso machine. I will be assessing the equipment for possible future purchases for my business so I want to give them a fair go.

I watched the instructional videos on the ECA (Vibiemme agents) website and one comment confused me. The presenter said "Dont use overly purified or overly filtered water including rainwater in your machine, this will cause problems with your machine."

This machine will be used at Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast and I have no idea of water quality here (it seems OK to me). I have both filtered tap water and unfiltered tap water at my sink and I have no idea which to use; or if either will harm my machine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers *:)
    NOG
    Normal filtered water should be fine.. The over processed / RO water is not suitable for many reasons...

While you can re introduce the required minerals etc the trick is to not take them out in teh first place.. Thus *Filtered water and if possible a softener cartridge..

NOTE: Just because you have a filtered water tap... Does not mean it is filtered.. The filters etc need to be in a working condition..

1. Talk to Bombora (over to the left).

2. In general: Reverse Osmosis water is "too pure" for both taste and electrical reasons. Rainwater may be too pure as well--good coffee needs some dissolved minerals but not too many, or the machine gets a layer of precipitated minerals (scale) on the working parts and will need de-scaling very soon.

Jim Schulmans "Insanely Long Water FAQ" is readily available and makes good reading.

You need reliable information about your water--either from your water authority or by self-test. Aquarium shops have a reagent-based test kit that will tell you what you need to know. These kits usually run less than $30.

Carbon filters to remove sediment and chlorine are very useful and will not "over filter" your water.

I hope this helps. Ive just been through this myself and have gone to a Bombora supplied system that both filters and softens the water to the ideal levels. It added less than 10% to the cost of my basic equipment.

Greg

Ditto to Gregs response from me as well.
    I have just installed the same system from Bombora, very easy to install which says something given i am no handyman.

Mal

Thanks all,
    Does anyone on the forum know about water quality at Noosa Heads?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 3A212037222B39273D4E0 link=1256363051/4#4 date=1256435062
    Thanks all,
    Cheers
    Local council will have that information

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 40646D6D6E6E5440647866640B0 link=1256363051/5#5 date=1256436228
    Quote Originally Posted by 3A212037222B39273D4E0 link=1256363051/4#4 date=1256435062
    Thanks all,
    Cheers
    Local council will have that information

KK
    Or if you dont have any luck there, Seqwater. ;)

Old thread, but this the most relevant to my search. Have been using the Aeropress , home roasted beans (popper) CS green starter pack. I am on rainwater where i live and it is pretty much devoid of all minerals, all my coffee has been tasting the same = bitter and have not been able to taste the differences from the SO.

I had a hunch it would be the water, so just visiting family in sydney and the difference is out of this world!! I did not know that coffee can be this smooth and flavourful! Have had the Columbian and Peru so far this morning and can easily taste the differences now, so good and also i have noticed a big UP from the caffeine hit. So will have to wait for tomorrow for more cofee :D

Now i will just have to go about replicating the water profile for syd, prob thinking of making up 10L water drums just to use for making coffee.
    I brew beer as well and have always used salts for that so i guess it makes sense with the rain water being like distilled water.
    EDIT: i should point out i realise this thread is located in the opposite end of equipment $$ to mine, i meant relevance as to the water only, if the mods want to move my post elsewhere please do! but this is what came up in the search. cheers