Thread: Rancilio S26 - Repair /Junk

A_M

Rancilio S26 - Repair /Junk

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Rancilio Sxx owners..

Another coffee person had a quick look at this machine (ex small shop) and said bin it..

1:Problem was that it would steam and run hot water..... *But when ya hit the switch for coffee the pump would run for a few moments and then pause and water (pressure) would dump from the over flow.. *Nothing from the group..

STATUS.. *I said I would have a look... ;)

A: Dirty as most cafe machines are *;)

B: So many cockies... *Even inside the gauge..

C: heat damaged connectors on teh boiler

D: One copper Tubing line was slightly damaged

E: One fitting that branches off the the dump solenoid (marked as 240V) had a crack / weakness and broke when removing... *Not listed on coffeeparts.. *So while trying elsewhere... I was able to make up out of a three way and odd adapters.....

F: *Group Head solenoid appears to be seized.. *Dried coffee oils and crap in and around the slug. It was also marked as 120V ???? *Electrical diag states 240V.

Shower screen is stuffed... Assuming seal is the same... Not bothered at this stage...

G: Control box GICAR *has got a couple of funny caps.. *Will have to get some replacements and also re solder a few suss joints..

H. Service sticker says every 12months.. And a couple stuck on.. Wonder what they did ????

I: In line water filter

Went to turn on and POP... ELCB tripped...

After some basic TS... Heating element... *Measures with a dvm about 155K to earth ??.. But FAILS under 250V and 500V insulation tests.. (Heating element is ok at >0.1meg while every thing else should be 1Meg or higher)..

Took a little time to take the top of the boiler and this is what I found....

Love the build up of scale at the water level *:o *;) *;D

Have not cleaned as until the owner gives the OK.. And the fact that there are other unknown problems.. *Not *recommending that he proceed..

1: If back into a shop... Reliability ?

2: Elements / Solenoids / wiring / terminals / *thermostat / shower screen and any number of other bits.. Let alone the labour *::) *would be better served in using the $ to put towards a better / newer machine..

Any one care to comment ?

Attempt to fix / BIN

OR

Any one got spares doing nothing *;D Element / thermostat / Solenoid / etc :D

Re: Rancilio S26 - Repair /Junk

Quote Originally Posted by 634C4547506F434C4345474F474C56220 link=1259915287/0#0 date=1259915287
    1: If back into a shop... Reliability ?

2: Elements / Solenoids / wiring / terminals /thermostat / shower screen and any number of other bits.. Let alone the labour ::) would be better served in using the $ to put towards a better / newer machine..

I feel as its a machine that is a tool for somebodys livelihood they would be better served in using the cash to put towards a better or newer machine..

KK

Yep,

Ditto from me too AM.... Its really only the sort of thing that an enthusiastic tinkerer CSer might like to tackle in their spare time. Not worth it from a business perspective.... :(

Mal.

hmmm...

thoroughly agree from a business viewpoint.

However, nostalgia kicks in as we have an S24 and love it. We got it for doing church/community events but it quickly usurped 6910s spot in the kitchen (even if it did require a new piece of furniture). *At the moment we are awaiting time to do some repairs and using 6910 we feel like we are slumming it, such is the difference in shot quality and milk frothing time. *We also love the styling that everybody else hates! theres no accounting for taste ;) And we would never otherwise have been able to afford a HX machine (had never heard of one anyway!)

Our machine (ex Evilbay) had not been looked after well. *It had been owned by a coffee muggle (non snobbish folk) who was well-meaning but had clearly not cleaned the shower screen in a LONG time. *It had to be scrubbed and scrubbed to get it clean. *As far as the internals go it seems to work OK but there is heat damage, particularly to the plugs at the end of the wires. *Not being handy we have not attempted to crack open the boiler and wouldnt know how and what to do. *If scale in the boiler is stable and doesnt affect flavour/appearance of steam/water, does it matter? We want to get our machine professionally serviced but theres nobody around here who does that for a living and fitting in with the work commitments of moonlighters is problematic. *Might need to acquire some knowledge and tools and do it ourselves. *(Any tips welcome, AM! esp with regard to what tools are necessary - we have a screwdriver and some sandpaper.)

I would thoroughly recommend the machine for a resto job. *Tell your friend to save for a new/er machine for his business.

L

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 777B7272717178616760140 link=1259915287/3#3 date=1259952567
    hmmm...

thoroughly agree from a business viewpoint.

However, nostalgia kicks in as we have an S24 and love it. We got it for doing church/community events but it quickly usurped 6910s spot in the kitchen (even if it did require a new piece of furniture). *At the moment we are awaiting time to do some repairs and using 6910 we feel like we are slumming it, such is the difference in shot quality and milk frothing time. *We also love the styling that everybody else hates! theres no accounting for taste ;) And we would never otherwise have been able to afford a HX machine (had never heard of one anyway!)

Our machine (ex Evilbay) had not been looked after well. *It had been owned by a coffee muggle (non snobbish folk) who was well-meaning but had clearly not cleaned the shower screen in a LONG time. *It had to be scrubbed and scrubbed to get it clean. *As far as the internals go it seems to work OK but there is heat damage, particularly to the plugs at the end of the wires. *Not being handy we have not attempted to crack open the boiler and wouldnt know how and what to do. *If scale in the boiler is stable and doesnt affect flavour/appearance of steam/water, does it matter? We want to get our machine professionally serviced but theres nobody around here who does that for a living and fitting in with the work commitments of moonlighters is problematic. *Might need to acquire some knowledge and tools and do it ourselves. *(Any tips welcome, AM! esp with regard to what tools are necessary - we have a screwdriver and some sandpaper.)

I would thoroughly recommend the machine for a resto job. *Tell your friend to save for a new/er machine for his business.

L
    A: What repairs ?

B: Yes and NO.. At some stage the scale / corrosion will cause an issue and this could be as crap coming off and getting caught... Where you do not need it !!! * Critical... Na in some ways not..

Also as it builds up and coats the elements and temp sensor *this can change response times.. etc etc. *Critical... Na in some ways not..

Can these cause problems and possible further damage = Yes.

If you / we were closer.. A joint project and all would learn and move forward in the coffee journey..

So far the requirements are few ... But without.. A right pain.

1: A number *of flat openders to suit a number of fittings about 3 or *4 i have identified so far.

2: A couple of ring spanners

3: Flat x 2 sizes - med and large

4: 2 by philips - One big and one very small

5: Patience and time

6: Descaler / Cleaner / Thread tape / car polish / *some different grit emery tape

7: Glass bead sandblaster bay - I dont have *:o

8: DVM and EST

9: Heat rated wires and connectors

10: Patience and time

Quote Originally Posted by 654A43415669454A45434149414A50240 link=1259915287/4#4 date=1259960108

A: What repairs ?

B: Yes and NO.. At some stage the scale / corrosion will cause an issue and this could be as crap coming off and getting caught... Where you do not need it !!! Critical... Na in some ways not..

Also as it builds up and coats the elements and temp sensorthis can change response times.. etc etc.Critical... Na in some ways not..

Can these cause problems and possible further damage = Yes.

If you / we were closer.. A joint project and all would learn and move forward in the coffee journey..

So far the requirements are few ... But without.. A right pain.

1: A numberof flat openders to suit a number of fittings about 3 or4 i have identified so far.

2: A couple of ring spanners

3: Flat x 2 sizes - med and large

4: 2 by philips - One big and one very small

5: Patience and time

6: Descaler / Cleaner / Thread tape / car polish /some different grit emery tape

7: Glass bead sandblaster bay - I dont have

8: DVM and EST

9: Heat rated wires and connectors

10: Patience and time

Thanks AM
    1) replacing some wires and a ss hose as per another recent thread
    2) Digital Volt Meter ? and Electro-shock Therapy?

I have searched in vain, but do you know of a thread on here that is a generic how to restore a machine guide? *For the handypeople out there it might be fairly obvious, but to the rest it is a bit intimidating.