Thread: Nuova Simonelli mac 2000v

Nuova Simonelli mac 2000v

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been offered a 2 group version one of the machines for $1000. The machine is about 5 years old and apparently cost more than $9000 when it was new. Its single phase with a 10 amp plug. Machine is big 780mm wide but I have a place in my kitchen where I can buil a new side 1200mm wide so I have room for it. According to the current owner the machine was used in a cafe for around 3 years and then stored for 2 years. According to him it was reguarly serviced when it was in use and still works perfectly. Then of course I have to work out the plumbing which shouldnt be too hard as I built the house.

So my question is are these machines any good or should I just keep saving for a domestic machine? (currently thinking Domus Galatea or Isomac Tea.) I do entertain a lot and its not unusual for me to make 20 plus coffees in a night. Also if I go and look at this machine what sort of things should I be on the lookout for?

Would be very interested in some CS opinions. Will post an image when I go and look at the machine but in the mean time the machine looks identical to the automatic one on at this link

http://www.emeraldcityespressomachin...i_mac2000.html

Re: Nuova Simonelli mac 2000v

Hi Ducky,

Nice machine. Im not familiar with it but as I have 2 commercial (lever) machines at home, I find I really like the faster warm up time and lower power usage of my smaller single group machine (5L boiler) rather than my 2 group (13L boiler).

The main thing I would think about is that I notice the Nouva has a 10L boiler, and I assume it has an auto boiler fill.

So do you really want to heat up 10L of water each morning just to make a couple of cups of coffee? A good prosumer HX will do cups cups in its stride.

If you can manually control the boiler level and/or the machine is very power efficient, maybe a goer.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Mokka

Commercial machines are built like tanks but parts do wear out. Find out who your local service agent is (their sticker might be on the machine), and give them a call. Ask how much a service would cost, what is involved, and also what other problems to look out for. These guys are well worth paying to look over your machine and tune it, especially if it has not been used for two years.
    Expect to replace group seals, anti vac valves, and maybe the shower screens. Your biggest worry may be the boiler, it will need a good flushing.
    I have a commercial single group at home and love it. They are great for entertaining and you can steam buckets of milk for the latte/hot choc crowd. They are overkill if you only drink a couple of coffees a day, as they have a large boiler and will chew up electricity to keep it at optimum temp.
    It can double as a supply of hot water, a plate warmer, milk steamer and of course espresso maker.
    In my opinion a much better addition to the kitchen than one of the built-in European appliances that cost almost three times as much and make lousy coffee.
    If you have the room and the use for it, go for it! It certainly represents good value, but as with all second hand items, buyer beware.

I would say definitely yes - especially considering the price and the fact that you regularly make 20+ coffees a night.

However, I would be concerned that it is a 10amp machine with a 10L boiler. I would tend to suggest that an element has been changed (down sized) to accommodate for this 10amp plug. As a result, you will find it will take a significant period of time to get up to pressure, and will also take much longer to recover (when under load).

Let us know how you go.
    Cheers,
    Ben

I find I really like the faster warm up time and lower power usage of my smaller single group machine (5L boiler) rather than my 2 group (13L boiler).

I guess this is one of my big concerns. Mind you I normally flick my machine on when I get up 6.45am and make coffee about 7.30am so no biggie there. Only problem is when my wife and I get home from work we are hanging for a good coffee.

Commercial machines are built like tanks but parts do wear out. Find out who your local service agent is (their sticker might be on the machine), and give them a call. Ask how much a service would cost, what is involved, and also what other problems to look out for. These guys are well worth paying to look over your machine and tune it, especially if it has not been used for two years.

I think this is good advice I will try and find out who services these machines

However, I would be concerned that it is a 10amp machine with a 10L boiler. I would tend to suggest that an element has been changed (down sized) to accommodate for this 10amp plug. As a result, you will find it will take a significant period of time to get up to pressure, and will also take much longer to recover (when under load).

Im thinking I should be able to find some specs online that will tell me what the normal amp rating is for thois machine.

Thanks guys plenty to think about :-/ :)

In answer to your response:

1. Keep it running all day if you are worried about heat up times - I know a number of people here on CS do exactly that with commercial machines

2. Its so easy to service these machines yourself. If you have time, patience and a brain - you should be able to do it yourself. Coffee Parts are your friends

3. According to the website link you gave above - the 2 group is 3000W which would be a 15 or 20 amp machine. Do you have the capability to run higher current in your house?

I agree with Bjeck14 its a reasonable price for the machine if its in good nick. At that price i would want to see it running so i could have *a decent play with it, if it was sold not tested i would not be offering over $400.....

I have *1grp 5l commercial plumbed in and hope to always have one as i love it, endless steam and coffee :).

based on your link the amps (watts) it might be 3000w which might be pushing the 10amp level. someone may have changed the plug to 10A but it might be above that.... also they may have changed the element or taken of one off the element "connectors" if it has them. depending on the current element it may have *slower heat up as Bjeck said. if the element has been downsized to say 2600w it would be much better

my 5l 2300 watt boiler is up to steam in 20mins but takes another good 20mins to be really ready. i often speed this up by running water through the Grouphead to speed up heating

the 10l san marino i sold recently took about 25mins for pressure then about 15 more for "really ready" heat up. I was running it on 10amps but it was also 3000w

if its a volumetric machine (auto) then make sure all the buttons work it auto fills right, gauges work etc etc as if not and the control board is "fried" it might be an expensive fix. Also make sure the pump is good as thats worth a few $$$ to replace and that you get grouphandles.
    you might need to ad +-$200 in piping and filters to really set it up well with a service in the start $$$ up as well....

Thanks to all posters for the good advice... Ive decided not to go down the 2 group commercial path mainly because of the boiler size and the related heat up time. Instead after being at Di Bartolis Xmas party on Saturday Im thinking of buying a Bezzera BZ99S. Not as pretty and shiny as some of the more expensive machines but by all account from both Di Bartoli and other people who were at the party a great workhorse thats built to last. After looking inside one in Di Bartolis workshop an seeing the old school pipework etc I think its a good fit for me.

Not sure if anyones still following this thread but if you are I thought Id tell you that I just bought a Bezzera BZ35 second hand. Paid $645 machine on Ebay was just given a major service at the end of November and had the seals etc.. replaced at a cost of $440 seller is giving 3 month warranty so Im thinking I got a great deal. Ive also bought a Bezzera BB003 Commerical Grinder from somewhere else at $385 which Im still trying to arrange freight for but Im thinking with a new burr set it will be a good match for the machine.

The BZ 35 is a great machine and with regular servicing will last 20 + years

What is the year of manufacture of your BZ35 shot duck

I believe most upgrades made to this machine has been to improving the water tank design for easier filling ect

KK