Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Rebuild project

A_M

San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Rebuild project

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 795456505D5C58350 link=1260267591/36#36 date=1265194082
    Quote Originally Posted by 77585153447B57585751535B535842360 link=1260267591/34#34 date=1265185966
    (get here and an OLD San Marino CK is on my back door).
    You get all the cool toys. *I wish people left me pressies at the back door to fix. *I love taking things apart, fixing them and giving them another chance at being useful. *Maybe theres a future job in that for me?

Next time your up this way let me know...

... and if any CSers are wanting a get together maybe we can figure out a date.
    Dont know about cool toys.. *FRUSTRATING *- Still yet to get a small meal lathe, and the bloody snales have decided to eat all my vegies *etc..

Back On Topic.

As part of *the *"Tough Love " meetings and crappy floor sweepings for refreshments, a couple that run a small corner store mentioned that there old faithful coffee machine had to be put down and they got a new 2 group Expobar...

They said it no longer worked and having just spent $600 to have a new pump.. *Decided not to spend any more.. *Yep.. They get it services every 6 months as well... Did not ask how it is all managed... *That was and is out side of the code of conduct of the formal meetings..

Needless to say.. I did hit that I would love to have a look see *;)

Got home and opened to box.. *Typical Italian... * Clean as a whistle and stinks of Windex.. Err maybe thats Greek ?

Any way... SS San Marino (CK) - Black ABS top and vibe pump.. *Been used but looks great on the out side..

Well knock me over with a lump of wet red Licorish !!!!! *:o *::)

1: New Pump in the last 9 months - ( I recon *:o )

2: Serviced every 6 months - *(I recon *:-? )

3: But loosing steam performance *( Steam valve has been leaking and spraying in side..)

4: Internal tank.. *( This is cracked in the top 1/3)

Now they left a note to say.. If a couple of Hundred would fix it.. YES.. *If not... Mine to play with..

Now I can see this taking a couple of months, if not more and may be a good $300 plus..

Oh... Last pic.. I think thats a SS pulley that has been attached to the pick up line to keep it on the bottom..

Comments please....... Before, I start to pull it down / apart.

NOTE: If some one knows how to re wire the water level sensors, as per the manufacturer; to allow me to turn it into a plumbed unit.. That would be great..... Got a rough idea but better to stick to the traditional way; such that if any one else ends up with this unit.. *The wiring etc will make sense.

Re: San Marino CK - Black ABS top - Bin or WHAT

Am, the lucy has a low water pressure switch if that help. *Ive got a wiring diagram for her (from a fellow CSer) and the silvia wiring diagram with no water level switch. *Shouldnt be too different and just a case of bypassing the switch.

Looks like a fun project. *Maybe sourcing another tank would be cheaper, mind you Im starting to think about ditching the tank on Lucy. *The thing always runs out of water mid shot!!!

PS. *What do you do with all these coffee machines after you fix em up?

Oh and just to add I think it looks like a repair to me. Not much else can go wrong if its got a new pump and the boiler is okay... not that im an expert. Reduce Reuse Recycle I say.

I say its fixable
    After a good strip down and clean up it will look & work like new again

Quote Originally Posted by 15383A3C313034590 link=1265198451/1#1 date=1265245426
    Maybe sourcing another tank would be cheaper,
    Yes I concur

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 183537313C3D39540 link=1265198451/1#1 date=1265245426
    Am, the lucy has a low water pressure switch if that help. *Ive got a wiring diagram for her (from a fellow CSer) and the silvia wiring diagram with no water level switch. *Shouldnt be too different and just a case of bypassing the switch.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 1F3B323231310B1F3B27393B540 link=1265198451/2#2 date=1265246883
    I say its fixable
    After a good strip down and clean up it will look & work like new again
    Ok... Interested in teh cct...

The san uses two probes to sense the drop in water in the tank and then fills... etc... and I have some very old cct with some comments as to how to wire it... But always on teh lookout for supported methods etc..

As to a strip down.. Will take a few months as will need to sand blast all parts of teh frame and then re paint etc.. The all solenoids to be ultra sonic bathed etc etc..

And all pipes and fittings to be washed in the right solutions and then put back together...

PS. What do you do with all these coffee machines after you fix em up?

Errrr

1: The EM6910 is still in bits and yet to re order another head and seal.. No group handle, so can not use any way... Will wait until I get a group handle from some where.. Then fix..

Then use when I go on hols...

2: S26 Rancilio still in a state of repair.. Elements are stuffed.. Have got it to work and spoken to teh owner.. He said I can do what I want with it ???

Spent more than a few $$$ but without new Elements could not pass it on or sell it.. Others on evil bay might, but my approch is not one of making a quick buck..

3: A totally blown up BZ99... Pump / Elements / Solenoids / Boiler / Steam Arm etc etc Looking like at least $600 in parts to start with...

4: San Marino CK.. Pics above

Well no action until the owners drop over this Friday night and get to have a look.

Outcome/s...

My shed is a mess of part working / dead coffee machines :o :o

Wife is not happy as bits keep turning up in teh house...

Have a hobby that keeps me at home and I enjoy learning more about the real bits and pieces and how things tick... I guess part of my trade and quals kicking in and needing to understand.

Desired Result:

Maybe a Coffee Garage sale one weekend..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enough spare cash to;

A: buy bits and pieces,

B: Allow me to search and find a nice older style machine to restore, and

C: Maybe a few $$$ to allow me, to upgrade my current machine for something a little more out there..

D: Ongoing learning and keeping teh mind active

E: Been sorter and crusher to be obtained - for the home grown cherries ;) ( The tree I recovered has survived and teh green beans are getting BIGGER )

At the end of teh day... The $$$ is not the aim..

It is about the Coffee path and having an interest that allows interaction with other balanced ;D and like minded people :o

A_M

Update... San Marino CK;

Have passed on teh San Marino CK to a fellow snobber who; for many reasons, needs a solid project to get his hands dirty and manage his time ;D :D

A nominal scrap / disposal value, is to be passed onto the owners and they are aware of the road that is being taken......

I will be inspecting and assisting with the electrical .... But am assuming that it will be some time before that will be needed...

Lots of pics / stripping and cleaning of many parts to be done, before any electrons, even need to come close...

My only requirement is that; we all get progress reports and pics.

PS. I got to it with a high pressure cleaner this morning and looks much better already...

Thanks AM, hopefully I can turn it around to be a productive machine again with some assistance.

If anyone has any info about this machine, manuals, or service manuals please let me know.

I will be happy to post my progress & photos.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 664B494F4243472A0 link=1265198451/5#5 date=1265517961
    Thanks AM, hopefully I can turn it around to be a productive machine again with some assistance.

If anyone has any info about this machine, manuals, or service manuals please let me know.

I will be happy to post my progress & photos.
    After about 3 hrs of playing etc... Got the pump to work... Mind you about 29min after I ordered and paid for a new one :-? :-? :-?

So when ya start to strip down etc...

Drop the pump in (Ya know where) on the next visit... I will see if I can remember the process... For home use and saving a few $$$ got to be worth a try..

PS. Still having a chuckle as to you spotting my place due to the sign on the ROOF... Bet ya wife started to panic :D

Stay strong and on track.

Mark

My wife thinks your nuts mate but we all know your a top bloke.

Will drop the pump down next Monday. Now I know where your house is I will pop it near the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by 17383133241B37383731333B333822560 link=1265198451/6#6 date=1265670419
    Mind you about 29min after I ordered and paid for a new one
    murphys law that one mate, still now you have two.

Oh and I nearly fell off my chair when I got home. I got a reply from CMA re documentation. Emailed them the serial number and it will be interesting to see what I get back from them.

Whats the frame made out of? I doesnt look painted.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 436E6C6A6766620F0 link=1265198451/7#7 date=1265686448
    Whats the frame made out of? *I doesnt look painted.
    My guess is a mild steal of sorts and a light cad plating..

I want pics ;D

I was considering sandblasting the frame but if its plated it might not be a good idea.

Update: I wanted to make sure that I could get her working before I spend hours cleaning and pulling bits off.

I fixed the low water wire, filled the tank (1/2 way) and turned her on to see what would happen. The pump works and is pumping water our the group (so I assume the tank would be full?) and sucking up water from the tank, when it started heating a valve (manual calls it an "Anti Eddy Valve V.A.R.") started hissing on the boiler (see piccy below), water spurted out as it heated more then later a little bit popped up and it kept expeling hot air with the odd water spurt. Is that normal? Also kept the pressure guage went up to 1.5bar before I turned it off again. Is that normal?

Heres a piccy of the valve. Its definately the cause of the nearby frame corrosion.

I was suprised that the pump worked, quieter than lucy too. Not sure if its pumping as per specs. I suppose only volume of water discharged from the group would tell me that.

What a bargain AM!

Quote Originally Posted by 6A454C4E59664A454A4C4E464E455F2B0 link=1265198451/4#4 date=1265429458
    I will be inspecting and assisting with the electrical .... But am assuming that it will be some time before that will be needed...

Lots of pics / stripping and cleaning of many parts to be done, before any electrons, even need to come close... *

::) ::) ::)

Maheel,

I had discussed my approach with AM and he didnt freak out about me turning it on! *I actually got hold of a manual that showed how the low water level indicator works so I fixed it temporarily to test the machine. *By running it Ive tested the pump, elements etc. *Before I strip it all down I want to know what state the machine is in and what parts I require to order so that I can replace them as I rebuild.

As this is my first espresso machine renovation, any help you might want to add would be gratefully accepted.

PS: Also got a manual from CMA.

just be safe

i would have done the same and turned it on after making sure it was "safe"

sounds like it might be some sort of antivac valve leaking on the top they all sort of hiss a bit prior to the "steam" forcing them shut so you can build pressure. sometimes they continue to hiss and spurt if they have scale or are just stuffed if steam is sneaking past the seal

are these a HX machine? if it is the be warned the boiler may be empty but you can still get water out the group. as the HX circut run through the tank

make sure it refills or you fill it manually

maheel,

Im on a bit of a learning curve because its a HX. Ive got a Miss Lucy (silvia). Would the boiler auto fill? The pump did run on its own accord at the start, so I guessed it was auto filling the boiler. And how would you manual fill it??? I might have to read up about how they work a bit more I think. The manual doesnt really mention filling the boiler at all, but AM did mention that the boiler had water in it when I picked it up.

talking from my limited experience, and all touching / removing should be done WITH THE PLUG PULLED FROM THE WALL !!

some (most) commercial machines have a manual fill lever type set up where you "press" it and it will fill the boiler. it bypasses all the auto functions. and uses water pressure from the tap to fill the boiler. this machine may not have one?

by "be warned" i mean that you could burn out the element by heating it up with a empty boiler. on some old machines I have filled a boiler by removing anti vac or safety valve and filling with a bucket and funnel to above the element line. this was regardless of if it was auto fill or not....

if the pump ran when you turned it on it sounds like it was auto filling or trying to, you just need to confirm the water will be above the element somehow. sight glass or by how far the sensors are in, or even a wooden spoon in through the anti vac (machine turned off)

just be safe and smart, they are not that complicated to look at once you understand how it all works. :)

i had a san marino and it was built like a tank
    Leeham

also if you pm me your email address i have a san marino / CMA manual i can forward it to you.

A_M

I WANT PICS :o :o

Quote Originally Posted by 1C333A382F103C333C3A38303833295D0 link=1265198451/16#16 date=1265793623
    I WANT PICS *:o :o
    Of what?

Ive only taken some of the pipework & electrics so far. Going to label everything so I know whats what, then strip it apart. Then I will take more photos.

The frame seems bent too so when its stripped down I will take a photo of that too.

AM, going to order the new valves but Im going to email coffeeparts to see if they know what ones I need. Is to worth replacing the copper gaskets to all the valves etc? There is teflon tape on just about every part coming out the boiler. Does it need to be there??

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 674A484E4342462B0 link=1265198451/17#17 date=1265795924
    Is to worth replacing the copper gaskets to all the valves etc? *There is teflon tape on just about every part coming out the boiler. *Does it need to be there??

The copper gaskets are usually on some fittings where you want a seal and there is heat and maybe some uneven surfaces etc etc..

Many p-laces have them.. Depends on teh price as to OEM or off the local shelf..

If ya going to do it... Do it right.. Whats a few $$$ if it then means the system is true to teh manufacturer etc.. A project or want to scrip and make a few extra $$$...

Go the washers... I know you want to :-)

As to PTFE.. Read my post here.. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265274280

Am sure many just had a quite chuckle and thought Ams off with the faries yet again..

Guess what... That machine you got is one of the two that I have seen recently that have had the PTFE virus..... :o :o :o ::) ::) :( :(

It serves a purpose, and if applied correctly will do the job, help to seal and also stop the threads locking etc.. ;)

If applied; as in the manner followed by the previous service people have done on these machines.. Well say no more..

Going to pull her apart tomorrow and over the weekend (yes I will take photos AM), but before I do can anyone give me some advice about the dos and donts? Ive spoken with AM but I didnt have a lot of time to ask all my questions (we would have been hours).

What would be a good cleaning product for the boiler & pipes, group etc? Will citric acid be okay, or would a commerical descaler be better? If so what should I be using because Im going to need a fair bit. I pulled that dodgy antivac valve off as a test and dumped it in citric acid and it went pink... but it looks cleaner but still black inside... nice. Should brass fittings be going pink?

Also would be it be okay to use a wirebrush or scourer on some parts with subborn scale / PTFE tape etc?

Ive emailed coffeeparts re the valves but havent had a reply, or to my previous email. Has anyone had a problem emailing them at info@coffeeparts.com If I get time I might phone pedro tomorrow.

Im going to replace all the o-rings and copper washers as I rebuild, a new shower screen & group seal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7C51535558595D300 link=1265198451/19#19 date=1265885819
    Going to pull her apart tomorrow and over the weekend (yes I will take photos AM), but before I do can anyone give me some advice about the dos and donts? *Ive spoken with AM but I didnt have a lot of time to ask all my questions (we would have been hours).

What would be a good cleaning product for the boiler & pipes, group etc? *Will citric acid be okay, or would a commerical descaler be better? *If so what should I be using because Im going to need a fair bit. *I pulled that dodgy antivac valve off as a test and dumped it in citric acid and it went pink... but it looks cleaner but still black inside... nice. *Should brass fittings be going pink?

Also would be it be okay to use a wirebrush or scourer on some parts with subborn scale / PTFE tape etc?

Ive emailed coffeeparts re the valves but havent had a reply, or to my previous email. *Has anyone had a problem emailing them at info@coffeeparts.com If I get time I might phone pedro tomorrow.

Im going to replace all the o-rings and copper washers as I rebuild, a new shower screen & group seal.
    I will leave some of this to others.. As there are many ways to skin a cat...

As a start : http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Copper

The issue is that for some external bits it is about the looks and for the internals removing gunk ;)

I use an ultra sonic bath and use a mild de scaler solution... Does not need much.. And it can last and do a number of jobs.

This way fittings get done and cleaned inside and out, as well as stubborn particles..

Have never really worried about teh colour change... Except when using an Oxy torch or the item is going to be a table piece and on display.... Then there are lots of other methods to treat teh copper... However, again it comes down to fit for purpose and if food is going to be consumed from it..

Heres a few before shots so that you can see what it looked like at the start...

Front (the red arrow pointing toward the gauge, seems to sit just about zero, can it be adjusted or should I buy a new one?)

Group

Element

Boiler

Boiler & Pipes

Group from behind

From the bottom

Next will be a big bucket of bits...

If your anti-vac valve is leaking as suggested in a post above, the boiler cant seal and hence wont get up to pressure. As Maheel indicated, it could be a build up of scale, but at ~$50 a pop, this is definitely worth replacing for safety reasons alone. So I wouldnt stress about the pressure gauge quite yet.

Looks like you have a few areas of scale, so get yourself a tub or two of commercial descaler and get soakin! Apart from that it looks in good nik and will be a bit of fun!

Cheers,
    Ben

p.s these pages may also help you
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/sanmarino...e-parts-1.html

bjeck14, Going to replace the safety valve and antivac too. Best to be safe. re the guage I was only asking because Im hoping to strip it and put a complete list of parts together and then order so that Im not ordering bits here and there.

Still looking for a commerical descaler. All Ive found is home stuff that will last 10 secs with the amount of cleaning Ive got coming my way. Although Coffeeparts have Cafetto Vanish Descaler 480gm but the words "Designed for technicianís use only" got me a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 323A35333B6164500 link=1265198451/22#22 date=1265891479
    will be a bit of fun!
    It sure will. :)

Dont stress about the Varnish Descaler - just dont breathe it in! It worked a dream for me and I would highly recommend it. Just try and do it in a well ventilated area.

When I did my reco, I printed out the Coffee Parts pages and as I was taking it apart, I started circling things to replace.

I phoned Pedro @ coffeeparts yesterday. He said to use Vanish Descaler too but to make sure that I followed the instructions on mixing and time. I should be better than citric acid so I will give a tub a go.

He said the antivac & safety valves under misc on the site would be fine, just not sure if I should buy the safety valve or the certified one? Whats the diff? There isnt much difference in price.

About 25% into taking her to bits (and yes your are getting photos and more photos AM) and working from the outside in. and while I was round the front I tried to unscrew the showerscreen. Its totally stuck. Any ideas for getting off? Can I use anything like WD40, or will that leave a horrible residue? I dont want to be drilling it out!

I should have tried a bit harder before posting, I got the showerscreen off! Screw driver was useless but I used a ratchet with a screwdriver head and it came off without a drama (a technique I learnt when building retaining walls). I will have to post the photo of the mess though... ewwww.

A_M

if I should buy the safety valve or the certified one? Whats the diff? There isnt much difference in price.
    Then the choice is easy ;)

I tried to unscrew the showerscreen. Its totally stuck. Any ideas for getting off? Can I use anything like WD40, or will that leave a horrible residue? I dont want to be drilling it out!
    WD40 ?? Penetrol is good; any thing that will wick in and loosen the crap will be OK..

Besides; you will be doing a descale and a few chemical back flushes before using it ;)

** Impact wrench / drive may assist...

Just make sure the bit is a PERFECT fit.. If undersized etc it will slip and burr the head and then it will be a drill out :( :(

AM, its an OEM Certified Safety Valve and only $10 more. Whats the certified bit all about? Is that just that its been tested to release at a certain pressure?

Also there are two for 3/8 Part Number: 615625-A and Part Number: 615624-A. Anyone have a idea what the difference is?

PS got the screw off, but there might be more to come so thanks for the tips. Just need to find my allen keys now..., time for a tidy up of the tools I think.

Just thinking about electrical safety as I pull bits off. *The stuff that is covering the cables looks like its seen better days. *Im guessing its there to keep water & heat from effecting the cables inside as well as stopping it being rubbed or cut. *Is it possible to recover or replace this?

Quote Originally Posted by 54797B7D707175180 link=1265198451/30#30 date=1266051166
    Just thinking about electrical safety as I pull bits off. *The stuff that is covering the cables looks like its seen better days. *Im guessing its there to keep water & heat from effecting the cables inside as well as stopping it being rubbed or cut. *Is it possible to recover or replace this?
    Its Silicone Rubber impregnated flexible fibreglass tubing (usually referred to as spaghetti). Its there for high temperature protection of the underlying cable insulation mostly but also offers extra mechanical protection too. You can grab new stuff in various sizes from most motor rewind shops and direct from some suppliers such as this one.... http://www.advancedthermalsupplies.c...ts/thermal/#20

Its pretty cheap and once installed, does its job for an awful long time.... 8-)

Mal.

Lacehim: I have the same machine as yours. I think the anti vac valve and the safety valve both need to be changed. I changed the anti vac valve of mine last time. The one i purchased last time was 700750 from coffeeparts. hope that help :)

Sorry i dont know the difference between Part Number: 615625-A and Part Number: 615624-A. but i know they both do the same job :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5F594B454059422C0 link=1265198451/32#32 date=1266152558
    I think the anti vac valve and the safety valve both need to be changed. I changed the anti vac valve of mine last time. The one i purchased last time was 700750 from coffeeparts
    Thanks. Did your 700750 come with a 1/4 or 1/2 thread? My exisiting one has a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter fitted, which then bolts to the 3/8 hole in the boiler. The picture on Coffeeparts looks the same. Maybe its just me, Im not use to working in inches.

Also need a bit of help. *Ive got her pretty much stripped down, ready to clean up, but I cant get the powercord out the frame.

Any ideas on how to get that clip off??? *:(

Also while removing the last of the wiring from the element I came across this problem... *Exposed wiring... *:(

Will I need to take it to an electrician to get sorted? *If so does anyone know of anyone relliable thats not going to cost the earth in Brissy or the Sunny Coast? *I think some of the plastic clips could do with replacing, and possibly the flexible fibreglass tubing that Mal mentioned above.

And progress photos for AM... A near nudie San Marino frame. *:D ;D :D

Im amasing a list of parts, O rings, copper rings etc and will order the Vanish descaler with that. *Also got the guage off. *Its sitting at .3bar when it should be at zero. *Can they be adjusted or is it tiime for a new one. *It did rise when I had the machine running for testing purposes.

Thanks for the help in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by 4A6765636E6F6B060 link=1265198451/34#34 date=1266319340
    Also need a bit of help.Ive got her pretty much stripped down, ready to clean up, but I cant get the power cord out the frame.
    You need to press towards the cable the small 1 third segment of that clip to clear the retaining collar
    It then releases outwards *

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 14393B3D303135580 link=1265198451/34#34 date=1266319340
    Also need a bit of help. *Ive got her pretty much stripped down, ready to clean up, but I cant get the powercord out the frame.

Any ideas on how to get that clip off??? *:(

Also while removing the last of the wiring from the element I came across this problem... *Exposed wiring... *:(

Will I need to take it to an electrician to get sorted? *If so does anyone know of anyone relliable thats not going to cost the earth in Brissy or the Sunny Coast? *I think some of the plastic clips could do with replacing, and possibly the flexible fibreglass tubing that Mal mentioned above.

And progress photos for AM... A near nudie San Marino frame. *:D ;D :D

Im amasing a list of parts, O rings, copper rings etc and will order the Vanish descaler with that. *Also got the guage off. *Its sitting at .3bar when it should be at zero. *Can they be adjusted or is it tiime for a new one. *It did rise when I had the machine running for testing purposes.

Thanks for the help in advance...
    Make sure ya fully disconnected.

1: I would be having the power cord Replaced as well as a new retainer etc.. Cut it.. KISS is the process.

2: Mal / KK posted some links to the supplier of good quality insulation... Work out what ya need and then obtain.

3: My gut feel is that the connectors should be all re done and done correctly.. It may also be an issue that some of the element wires have corrosion eating back down inside them.

I would be replacing with good quality 10A or even 15A wiring.. and new terminals etc.. Check out some of the electrical suppliers as spade terminals are not the best and a screw type with a insulated boot might be available..

Small steps grasshopper.

AM

Thanks KK, I will give it a go.

Sounds like Im heading for a degree in electrical engineering or something there AM.

Is this something I could tackle myself (and get checked by a qualified person before reinstallation) or something I should get done for me?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 466B696F6263670A0 link=1265198451/37#37 date=1266322425
    Thanks KK, I will give it a go.

Sounds like Im heading for a degree in electrical engineering or something there AM.

Is this something I could tackle myself (and get checked by a qualified person before reinstallation) or something I should get done for me?
    As I have stated in the other post re electrical safety...

You can do most any thing you want to a non energised system.. So long as you do NOT connect it to any sort of power.. Ie. Wall socket / Generator / UPS etc etc.

There are pros and cons with doing this your self..

1: Joints and connectors can be an issue where high current draw is involved

2: A safety test may pass, but if you have rewired it incorrectly, then you can still cause a problem. *And the electrician may not even know.

3: Would not trust it with Some electricians.. * *Interestingly some TAFE collages do look for real world projects that 3rd or 4th year students can do... Worth a call..

Take a pic, and another.. Make a drawing and then double check... *Like woodwork. Measure twice - cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by 153A33312619353A35333139313A20540 link=1265198451/38#38 date=1266323041
    Interestingly some TAFE collages do look for real world projects that 3rd or 4th year students can do... Worth a call..
    Second that suggestion.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We used TAFE institutions a few times on some small projects such as this and always received a top quality result. Just need to make sure youve got the brief fully described. They will give you a list of specific parts required and may back-charge you for any consumables used but this wasnt the case every time....

Unless one of the TAFE staff is appropriately licensed (Contractors License), the unit may still need to be Tested and Inspected by someone so licensed before connecting to your mains supply....

Mal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 062B2F232E420 link=1265198451/39#39 date=1266323814
    Quote Originally Posted by 153A33312619353A35333139313A20540 link=1265198451/38#38 date=1266323041
    Interestingly some TAFE collages do look for real world projects that 3rd or 4th year students can do... Worth a call..
    Second that suggestion.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

We used TAFE institutions a few times on some small projects such as this and always received a top quality result. Just need to make sure youve got the brief fully described. They will give you a list of specific parts required and may back-charge you for any consumables used but this wasnt the case every time....

Unless one of the TAFE staff is appropriately licensed (Contractors License), the unit may still need to be Tested and Inspected by someone so licensed before connecting to your mains supply....

Mal.
    Thanks Mal..

People often forget that TAFES need real world experience and that some of their instructors are dammed good...

What I have found is that;

1: The BRIEF needs to be clear and concise ;D

2: If its a longish job; short reports of teh work done and problems found - Also supports real life issues.

3: General consumables are usually not a problem.. It is the specials and if that is supplied ahead of time - Stock take and reports again ;D

At completion... Make them all a coffee :-)

I bet they will jump at teh chance to assist with other projects you might get ya teeth into and your helping the community and young trades persons.

Hi, you mention the guage is not at zero? i just re-furbed a Wega Mini-Nova (very similar to these) and had the same problem with the guage.I managed to pry the needle off and re-attatch it at the right setting.Be very careful though as they are fragile.I used a small set of pliers and gently gripped the needle from the front, and gently pry it back and forth till it pops off.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6B62616F6D7070040 link=1265198451/41#41 date=1266347859
    Hi, you mention the guage is not at zero? i just re-furbed a Wega Mini-Nova (very similar to these) and had the same problem with the guage.I managed to pry the needle off and re-attatch it at the right setting.Be very careful though as they are fragile.I used a small set of pliers and gently gripped the needle from the front, and gently pry it back and forth till it pops off.
    Some have used a syringe to suck / apply pressure to force the gauge back to 0.

However, without knowing why it is not at 0, it can mean that the gauge is not liner or accurate any more.

It is only an INDICATOR.... And many systems that can not be adjusted are noted as having to apply an offset when reading. I would be tempted to let it ride until you get it all running and then revisit the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by 082527212C2D29440 link=1265198451/33#33 date=1266318226
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F594B454059422C0 link=1265198451/32#32 date=1266152558
    I think the anti vac valve and the safety valve both need to be changed. I changed the anti vac valve of mine last time. The one i purchased last time was 700750 from coffeeparts
    Thanks. *Did your 700750 come with a 1/4 or 1/2 thread? *My exisiting one has a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter fitted, which then bolts to the 3/8 hole in the boiler. *The picture on Coffeeparts looks the same. *Maybe its just me, Im not use to working in inches.
    The fitting is 1/4 inch. 700750 fits perfectly on the boiler. I bought a 1/4 copper (524554) from coffeepart as well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6B7977726B701E0 link=1265198451/43#43 date=1266402565
    The fitting is1/4 inch. 700750 fits perfectly on the boiler. I bought a 1/4 copper (524554) from coffeepart as well.Smiley
    The antivac and safety valves are both 3/8" fittings on mine. *The antivac is a 1/2" fitting into an adapter which is 1/2" female to 3/8" male. *Maybe they changed it on later models? *What I will do is buy a new adapter 1/4" female to 3/8" male and the 1/4" Antivac. *I will need to phone coffeeparts about a few items because they dont seem to answer emails. :(

Just got it down to the frame, only the element requires removal from the boiler now. *I have to buy a new adjustable spanner to remove that because the biggest I got is 1mm too small! *Bugger!

Frame doesnt look too bad, but going to take it to bits and fix the bent frame. *It seems to be a flaw in the design because kofekitt had the same problem with his Wega (same frame). *I might put an extra brace (or two) in to stop it happening so easily again.

Also got an email from Aussie CMA with a big bundle of manuals. *Not full electrical schematic yet but I will reply with that query.

A quick question....

Can someone tell me the difference between the Antivac parts 618968/700375 and 700750 http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/anti-vacuum-valves.html

edited : What I mean by the above is they are different, but do they work differently or do the same thing...

Hi again, re the element - ive had the same problem in the past.I used a vice, set the jaws 1-2mm bigger than the element flats, insert the element flats into the jaws and twist the boiler to remove the element, you may want to use rags or towels to prevent damage to the element, and check the terminals dont get damaged also.

No one got any info re the antivacs? :( The designs are very different I was just interested in how the both differ in their operation and if either can be used on the SMCK.

Todays progress...

Element was removed... borrowed a set of big red grips from my father in law which worked a treat. The element was covered in black gunk, but the tank was only about 50% covered in the stuff. God knows how I will get the little thermostat out... should I just leave it there?

So, Im down to the frame and thought I would start work on it as I stirp the other components down and finish my order for parts... the most difficult item to be removed yet is one of the black rubber feet would you believe! Its the one in the area that copped the rust! WD40 is currenty working is magic (I hope).

Ive been thinking about how to tackle the frame. My thoughts are...

My thoughts so far are...

1 Remove the rust by hand (takes ages)
    2 Sandblasting (outsourced but costs money)
    3 Chemicals (ie citiric acid)
    4 Electrolytic solution for rust removal (very interested in this idea because if I get distracted while its on it wont damage the good metal)

Then my thoughts post cleaning are
    1 painting
    2 powdercoating

Considering the frame is not seen maybe paint will be okay? I dont have a lot of knowledge about powdercoating but Ive read that its more hardwearing than paint, but what the cost is Im yet to find out. If anyone has any helpful hints, suggestions or the like Im interested in hearing all about it.

Also another note... whats the environmentally way to dispose of all the chemicals used in the cleaning of the machine? ie citric acid or Vanish or other solutions used.

Im enjoying it all anyway. Ive learnt more about how an espresso machine works in the last few weeks than I have in 6 months since owning one and I think this knowledge will also help me service my own machine for years to come. I think Lucy is nervous that she is next! :) ;D ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 75585A5C515054390 link=1265198451/44#44 date=1266459135
    only the element requires removal from the boiler now. I have to buy a new adjustable spanner to remove that because the biggest I got is 1mm too small! Bugger!
    Quote Originally Posted by 04292B2D202125480 link=1265198451/46#46 date=1266496468
    Element was removed... borrowed a set of big red grips from my father in law which worked a treat.
    Youre very lucky to get away with removing the element like this :o. Much better to obtain the appropriate sized Tube Spanner so that loosening/tightening torque can be applied uniformly. Dont forget, the Boiler is constructed of very soft and not very thick copper sheet.... This can be easily distorted/damaged by the use of a simple spanner or "grips" such as you have used.

The suggestion to use a Vice, in the manner described above, is not a bad one either in a pinch but a Tube Spanner is the way to go..... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 5875717D701C0 link=1265198451/47#47 date=1266498975
    the Boiler is constructed of very soft and not very thick copper sheet
    I thought it was brass?

Quote Originally Posted by 5875717D701C0 link=1265198451/47#47 date=1266498975
    The suggestion to use a Vice, in the manner described above, is not a bad one either in a pinch but a Tube Spanner is the way to go..... Wink
    I didnt actually know you could get tube spanners that size. I will have a look when I visit the hardware store next time because it might make reinsertion a lot easier. Sadly lacking a vice at the moment, but will need one to pull down all the big chunks Ive pulled off so a trip to the hardware store it is.

Im glad luck was on my side... let it continue!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7B5654525F5E5A370 link=1265198451/48#48 date=1266532394
    al wrote on Today at 00:16:
    the Boiler is constructed of very soft and not very thick copper sheet

I thought it was brass?
    Most are Brass / Copper and then there is Al and SS.. *My gut feel was that the SM was brass.. But could be mistaken..

Quote Originally Posted by 7B5654525F5E5A370 link=1265198451/48#48 date=1266532394
    I didnt actually know you could get tube spanners that size. *I will have a look when I visit the hardware store next time because it might make reinsertion a lot easier. *
    Yoy will need to go to Trade Tools Direct or a plumbing supplier or a true tool supplier for many of the real tools...

Pipe spanners can go to sizes that would surprise you... I think I even once had 6" just in my tool kit..

Good ring spanners as well. The best for this sort of work *have a cut out to allow you to slip over the pipe and then give you a great fit on the nut etc.

Often known as a Flare-nut wrench, or tube wrench, or line wrench - When working on hydraulic and or fuel lines in the bowels of a trawler (that has got problems) in a cyclone... *They are a life saver.. Every thing else get tossed over board as well as the cook...

The navy has a saying... Any port in a storm... For me it is - There is only one wrench.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast