Thread: Where to try and buy a new machine in Perth

Where to try and buy a new machine in Perth

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    First post, so hello to you all!

Where can I go to have a look at a $2-2500 machine in Perth? Seems all the vendors are in the East. I notice that I can buy Isomac (The Tea is a contender) but as usual in WA the outlet is closed on Saturday. *>:(

Im looking to upgrade from my Quaha which has served me well for almost 9 years now!

TIA, Kev.

TC

Re: Where to try and buy a new machine in Perth

Hello and welcome Kev,

Sadly, there are no Perth companies who currently feel that a CS sponsorship would be a worthwhile investment. As a result, they dont get free plugs either ::)

Some of the coffee companies sell machinery as do a few stores but prices are always high as there is little or no competition.

Pretty much all CS sponsors will ship anywhere in Australia and you will find that you will most likely do better to purchase from the eastern states. Most CS sponsors also have reciprocal service arrangements in Perth- so that the drive across the Nullabor occurs only once ;)

I suggest you call a sponsor or two. You will find they are passionate about coffee and happy to help you choose the right machine.

Good luck..

2mcm

Gday Kev welcome to the forum
    I agree with 2mcm that a CS sponsor is still worth looking at. I bought an Isomac from a local supplier, but have regretted that decision since. Many sponsors do much more than hand over a box they received from the wholesaler - a lot of work goes into setting machines boiler pressure, group pressure, thermosyphon restriction etc to ensure that you have a well behaved machine - Im not aware of any Perth supplier who will offer that kind of service. Many sponsors have service agents in Perth so theres no concern there.
    I bought a new grinder recently from Chris at Talk Coffee and the service was excellent.
    The one problem we have over here is that its hard to get some hands-on experience with machines before buying.

Geoff

Well Ive taken the advice of many on the forum and ordered a Giotto and Compak grinder from Chris at TalkCoffee. Hopefully it will arrive before Easter so I can practise over the long weekend!

Its a shame that I couldnt have a play with a few machines before choosing, so have had to go with looking at the pics on the sponsors websites and advice from CS.

Maybe theres a business opportunity in Perth...? ;)

You wont be disappointed - Chris / Giotto / Compak make for a great combo.

New buyer questions

Hi All, have been lurking about for a while trying to absorb all the excellent information before jumping in at the deeper end of the market. I am sure I dont know the half of it but have a couple questions hopefully you can all throw me some advice on.

I am planning on buying a machine/grinder/... everything else with a max budget of about $3.5k which seems like opens up a lot of doors. Will basically be making typically 5 or so coffees a day mix of lattes and shots. My previous machine was a basic Krups machine which served its purpose but its time to move on :) Whatever machine I get will have either HX or dual boiler so that at least narrows the market.

I am wondering if there is much variation in the minimum warmup time amongst the various machines? Given the relative light use it would be a bonus to not have to wait 30 mins to get a shot (the Krups was pretty quick *;)). I did see a reference to a smaller boiler perhaps being advantageous for this? Or are people just setting them up on timers so they are ready to go first thing in the morning?

The top contenders I have at the moment are the Minore III, VBM junior or the Diadema Junior Extra. Any of those stand out above the others? I dont mind the look of the Junior Electtronica or Semi Automatica which would probably suit my wife more but not sure if they would limit how much you could tinker down the line as I learn?

Also being over in Perth from what I read there is very limited access to any shops having these machines to see in action. Anyone know of anywhere good to go try some out?

Anyway bit of a rambling first post but if you have any answers or advise I will be keen to hear it.

Thanks
    Jason

Re: New buyer questions

For home use I prefer a HX machine
    Not that the dual boiler machines are bad

A HX uses fresh water from the tank every time one makes coffee

30 min is the norm for a machine to warm up

KK

TC

Hello Jason and welcome,

I have moved your thread here as it asks essentially the same questions as the OP.

My suggestion would be to have a chat to Cooper69S about his experience/s with his WA supplier.

Most CS sponsors ship to Perth all the time and most also have arrangements in Perth for service as well.

Do try to support the guys who help make this forum happen. They will make your buying experience a positive one.

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm *

Hi 2mcm, fair enough. I had read this thread, I guess my comment about Perth shops was a stab in the dark in case there really was one worth visiting. I definately intend talking to one or more of the site sponsors about the various options, I would rather support the site and deal with someone who has a track record in any event. As injidup mentioned above its just a shame to buy without getting to road test :( just more research i guess :)

The 3 machines you have mentioned all have good reputations here and Id bet you would be happy with any of them.

While the boiler size will make a difference in how long the boiler takes to heat up, the critical thing is how hot the water is when it hits the coffee, and how hot the coffee stays on exiting the machine.

I get slightly sour coffee with warm-ups less than 40 minutes. This isnt an issue because turning on the machine is the first thing I do on arising in the morning. During days at home, the machine is on all day.

Enjoy your purchase--great coffee on demand is a true luxury.

Greg

Hi Jason,

I recently bought a 2nd hand VBM domobar super off a CS member and have it set up on a timer... works a treat!! (thanks Tops Shot!)Coffeee on tap whenever you get up... without the timer I have found the boiler takes about 30 mins to pull proper shots.

P.S. I read a thread on a US coffee forum that suggested using a surge protector if putting your machine on a timer... Im not technical enough to know the merits of the idea but it could be worth considering to protect the new bench bling.

Quote Originally Posted by 267961777C777B7272717179757A140 link=1266220081/7#7 date=1272432733
    My suggestion would be to have a chat to Cooper69S about his experience/s with his WA supplier.
    Gday Jason
    as I mentioned further up in the thread, I highly recommend talking to a site sponsor about buying a machine. *There are plenty of coffee machine retailers in WA, but none are site sponsors and Im yet to hear of any that offer the kind of service youll get from a CS sponsor.
    As an example, it seems to me that thermosyphon restriction is a critical technique used in many domestic-use HX machines to avoid an issue that I have, where the machine heats up too much when idle and requires very long (30 -60 seconds) cooling flushes to cool the group back down before pulling shots. *I spoke to a few agents over here about thermosyphon restriction after I bought my machine and none seemed to have any idea what I was talking about... *I ended up making and installing a restrictor myself which has improved it a bit, but need to adjust the size some more to get it right. *
    The Minore is different, being a dual boiler it wont have HX overheating issues, but also adds some extra complexity in its design. *Theres plenty of info on the site about the pros and cons of db vs hx machines and a sponsor can help you out there as well.
    Your best bet - talk to a sponsor with a Perth repair agent so that you dont need to send the machine back east. Ive personally had excellent advice and service from Chris at Talk Coffee and Ofra at DiBartoli and Im pretty sure both have a local repair agent.
    regarding timers, I use an electronic timer to turn on the machine half an hour before I get up, and half an hour before I get home from work. it works great.
    hth
    Geoff

Thanks for all the advise and feedback. I went to take a look at a few machines over the weekend to get a better feel for them and wound up giving in to temptation and purchased the Giotto PP.

I had planned on persuing this with a sponor and had even talked to Chris at Talk Coffe who was very helpful. In the end unfortunately my impulse buying nerve got the better of me :o.

I just need to get better at pulling shots and I will be set.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F74667A7B6C60677A557278747C793B767A150 link=1266220081/12#12 date=1273103837
    I had planned on persuing this with a sponor and had even talked to Chris at Talk Coffe who was very helpful. In the end unfortunately my impulse buying nerve got the better of me
    Congrats JasonY on your purchase. A GPP is on my very short short list when the Sunbeam dies.

I hope the seller has put your new machine on the bench and *spent the same amount of time and care that Chris does prior to boxing it up and sending it off. The CS sponsors provide a level of pre and post sales support that is not always found elsewhere.

Enjoy the coffee! ;)

Banned

I believe we ( Espresso Italia ) are the first WA CS sponsor. We are located in North Perth, 67-69 Scarborough Beach Road. Open all week, and on Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM. We have a bunch of machines to play with in our showroom, some come on over and have a coffee with us :)