Thread: Bezzera BZ35 - no water from group

Bezzera BZ35 - no water from group

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

This is my first post to CoffeeSnobs and Im a coffee newby so please go easy on me !

I have recently acquired a Bezzera BZ35 which Im trying to get working.

As you can see from the photos it has a rotary pump and volumetric controls.

The problem that stumped me is that there is little or no water coming from the group. :-?

Everything else seems to work successfully:

It is filling and can suck water out of a container or from mains pressure.
    It is heating correctly
    It is steaming well
    It can supply boiler water fine.

When I press any of the coffee dispensing buttons, the light comes on, the pump runs, I hear a solenoid click but only a dribble of water comes out of the group.
    The very first time I pressed one of the dispensing buttons, water did come out but no longer does. I have tried backflushing, but there is nothing happens.
    I have checked that the group shower screen is not blocked which it isnt. The machine is in need of a really good clean !

As Im new to coffee machines (but fairly technical) Id really appreciate a list of things I should check.

Thanks

Cheers
    Scott

Re: Bezzera BZ35 - no water from group

Welcome Scott.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It could be many things of course, given that it is a used machine but one thing worth checking, is whether the 3-Way Valve is working properly. They are normally fitted as per the attached drawing from a Bezzera spare parts manual (under the green circle).

Sometimes the mechanical components of the valve get gummed up with coffee residue and more or less, seize up. They are quite simple to remove, disassemble and clean up. It may also be possible that the solenoid coil is faulty and thereby not actuating the valve mechanics. Id give the clean-up routine a go first though before worrying about the coil.

All the best mate.... :)

Mal.

Thanks so much Mal. I will have a good look at the 3 way valve. Ill let you know how I go. Much appreciated mate.

Scott

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 032E2A262B470 link=1268029441/1#1 date=1268030892
    Welcome Scott....

It could be many things of course, given that it is a used machine but one thing worth checking, is whether the 3-Way Valve is working properly. They are normally fitted under the Group or to one side where Ive drawn the circle.
    Welcome and all the best... As Mal said... First cab off the rank... That Solenoid / Valve.

However... Always make sure the unit is unplugged ...... *These machines are all 240V and technical or not; if you not electrical Qualified / Licensed then your in a land of limbo.

A: You can do what ever you want to a disconnected machine.

B: Must be tested and found to be safe before plugging into any power source.

In addition looking at the bench top and the highly organised tools / layout and wet area on the bench and the state of the unit..... * Ya need to take more care.. *Even if ya have an ELCB installed it will not save you in all situations.

Other than that... A nice unit, plenty of spare parts from a sponsor Coffee Parts ....Or even Barazi Bezzera...

Take it slow and document and clean every thing.. *Ya take a short cut now and it will come back to bite ya...

Have a read and follow this topic and the many pages of tips and hints... *http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265198451/

Remember Assumptions can and do kill *

Thanks Angermanagement. Point taken. Electricity and water dont mix. Extra care will now be taken.

Scott

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C767D5E4B0C0C3F0 link=1268029441/4#4 date=1268040029
    Thanks Angermanagement. *Point taken. *Electricity and water dont mix. *Extra care will now be taken.

Scott *
    Any time Scott..

I may get in ya face *;)

But it will only be because I might actually care about some people ;D

OR

That you can really damage a machine *when you short some parts out and that just adds to the costs and time.. :D :D :D

Keep us updated as there are any number of rebuild projects that members are and have done and we can all learn from the experiences of others..

PS. Where are you located ? *Could be another CS member, just around the corner..

Site Sponsor

Scott;

by looking at your machine pictures I will not surprise if your HX (TAV.2-2a) is full of scale, calsium and etc.

Looking at Mals diagrams check the re stricter (3) this usually get block.

If you need any help, happy to assist.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Thanks Renzo.

I have removed the HX (TAV.2-2a) and you are right - looks like it could all do with a good scale and clean. Looks like a bit more work ahead of me than expected but I am up fo it. Viewing some of the restos on site and talking to a mate who is a coffee machine nut - I think I know where I am going now. This is all new but the journey could be fun. I will keep you posted. Many thanks.

Scott

Dont forget to feed us with progress reports and lots of piccies, will you Scott.... ::) ;)

Mal.

Site Sponsor

happy to be of help Scott, let me know how you going with the project, as Mal said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 5C71757974180 link=1268029441/8#8 date=1268145835
    Dont forget to feed us with progress reports and lots of piccies, will you Scott.... Roll Eyes Wink

regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Re: Bezzera BZ35 - Overhaul

Just a note to let you know that I have commenced work on an overhaul of this machine. Having had a look at a couple of key joints, I have much work ahead of me cleaning and de-scaling. I have decided to start at the beginning and have now separated the machine workings from the frame.

The frame is structurally sound but has some surface rust where the coating is broken. Does anyone know what this coating is and how to remove it? It is like plastic and doesnt seem to respond to much. Perhaps someone has had some work done in Melbourne on a frame and can recommend someone who would be willing to do such a small job like this?. I figure once I get the frame sorted, I can start cleaning and re-building the machine.

I will need all the help I can get. Much bigger job than anticipated.

My only other hurdle has been finding a way to remove the covers on the steam handles without breaking them. Have not sorted that one out yet. Contributions welcome.

Will keep you advised of progress. Looks like there will be some wait for the coffee at my place.

Lazyboiler

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6D777C5F4A0D0D3E0 link=1268029441/10#10 date=1269331981
    Just a note to let you know that I have commenced work on an overhaul of this machine. *Having had a look at a couple of key joints, I have much work ahead of me cleaning and de-scaling. *I have decided to start at the beginning and have now separated the machine workings from the frame.

The frame is structurally sound but has some surface rust where the coating is broken. *Does anyone know what this coating is and how to remove it? *It is like plastic and doesnt seem to respond to much. *Perhaps someone has had some work done in Melbourne on a frame and can recommend someone who would be willing to do such a small job like this?. *I figure once I get the frame sorted, I can start cleaning and re-building the machine.

I will need all the help I can get. *Much bigger job than anticipated.

My only other hurdle has been finding a way to remove the covers on the steam handles without breaking them. *Have not sorted that one out yet. *Contributions welcome.

Will keep you advised of progress. *Looks like there will be some wait for the coffee at my place.

Lazyboiler

There has been some interesting tips and tricks on the other big rebuilds that are under way...

Save as favs and or read and learn from the others...

Hi Scott

When I asked retroman what he used for frame finishing he said Powdercoating so you might want to give a few local powdercoaters a call.

Re the knobs - if you google "bezzera bz35 knob" youll see a picture of the knob cap which should be able to be pried out with a fine tool perhaps?

Cheers
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by 43595271642323100 link=1268029441/10#10 date=1269331981
    My only other hurdle has been finding a way to remove the covers on the steam handles without breaking them.Have not sorted that one out yet.Contributions welcome.
    I know the way to do this ;)

The plastic cap with the picture is easily removed

Place thumb on any part of the most external point of the cap
    Press firmly on that point only
    It will twist off not unlike a revolving door
    Its held in by a firm interference fit

You will observe a screw under the cap that holds the knob in place once unscrewed the knob slips off easily

Get back to me on how you get on with my instructions ;)

KK

lazyboiler,

As AM said there are a number of rebuilds ongoing and some amazing completed projects that help show that it can be done. They are worth a read to get tips on how to clean parts, what to do when you break a bit or troubleshooting.

Im in the cleaning process at the moment, but getting near to putting things back together. Taking it slowly and enjoying learning about the machine and how it works.

Would be great to have a dedicated restorations section so that information is easy to find. There is a wealth of information on CS about it all, but it takes a bit of searching and a lot of reading. :)

Good luck and keep the photos and progress updates coming.