Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

  1. #1
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hoping for some advice with my Giotto. I just got a hold of Gregs pressure gauge and have discovered, as I suspected, my brew pressure is way too high (around 11bar).

    I adjusted the OPV several times and the gauge indicated a drop in boiler pressure each time. However when I tried the gauge, the brew pressure remained at 11bar.

    I followed Gregs instructions for using his gauge very carefully and am confident there is no error there.

    Any ideas whats wrong with my machine?

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 2322283B25203A490 link=1269596662/0#0 date=1269596662
    Hoping for some advice with my Giotto. *I just got a hold of Gregs pressure gauge and have discovered, as I suspected, my brew pressure is way too high (around 11bar).

    I adjusted the OPV several times and the gauge indicated a drop in boiler pressure each time. *However when I tried the gauge, the brew pressure remained at 11bar. *

    I followed Gregs instructions for using his gauge very carefully and am confident there is no error there.

    Any ideas whats wrong with my machine?

    hmm....sounds like it could be all scaled up and jammed :-?

  3. #3
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Was up til 4am last night poking around. Machine seemed in good condition with only minor scale, which is what I expected (or at least hoped for).

    One thing I did find was a gasket (see red dot in photo) which has eroded away considerably. Looking at the diagram (borrowed from Coffee Parts website) it looks like this could affect flow of water to the group. Any chance this $3 part could be causing my high pressure issue?




  4. #4
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Would suggest a replacement would be a good start.

    4am and posting already ;)

  5. #5
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Yep the wife and kid are away so thought Id get a sleep in for once in my life. The cat and dog had other ideas...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    600

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 5253594A54514B380 link=1269596662/0#0 date=1269596662
    I adjusted the OPV several times and the gauge indicated a drop in boiler pressure each time

    ???

    I dont get it, how does adjusting the OPV affect boiler pressure??? are you adjusting the right thing? the pressustat will adjust boiler pressure, not the opv.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5253594A54514B380 link=1269596662/2#2 date=1269642373
    Any chance this $3 part could be causing my high pressure issue?
    the pressure is caused by the pump. the opv is after the pump, but before the group. If the pressure is too high, your opv needs adjusting, not somthing in the grouphead. this is not your problem.

  7. #7
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Just a thought and some perhaps timely advice:

    If youre not sure what you are doing, its not the right job for you :-?

    Suggest you take your machine to a service agent before something goes or even worse, you go bang....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 3E61796F646F636A6A6969616D620C0 link=1269596662/6#6 date=1269650447
    Just a thought and some perhaps timely advice:

    If youre not sure what you are doing, its not the right job for you :-?

    Suggest you take your machine to a service agent before something goes or even worse, you go bang....
    So true!

    Its all very well to test with a pressure gauge or Scace. These will help you diagnose a problem, but for a remedy, you really need to understand the mechanics of a particular machine before making adjustments. A tweak in one area may, and will often, necessitate a tweak in another area. ;)


  9. #9
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 3A3F33373F306F5E0 link=1269596662/5#5 date=1269649993
    Quote Originally Posted by 5253594A54514B380 link=1269596662/0#0 date=1269596662
    I adjusted the OPV several times and the gauge indicated a drop in boiler pressure each time
    ???
    I dont get it, how does adjusting the OPV affect boiler pressure??? *are you adjusting the right thing? *the pressustat will adjust boiler pressure, not the opv.
    Sorry meant to say pressurestat ........ not enough sleep.

    I agree with the advice given and have already been to Coffee Craft earlier today.

  10. #10
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Update - I did more reading (after some more sleep) and actually looked at how the darn thing is put together. Actually beginning to understand how it all works now.

    Despite the wise advice given by very experienced contributors above, I am a stubborn greek male and couldnt help myself.

    Adjusted the OPV - brew pressure now spot on 9bar. Result in the cup is a big improvement which is what I was after.

    I would not recommend to other people as inexperienced as myself to tinker around the internals of a machine......and dont assume everything you read on the internet is going to be accurate.

  11. #11
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 7C7D77647A7F65160 link=1269596662/9#9 date=1269667512
    stubborn greek male
    Tautology.

  12. #12
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: ECM Giotto - Cant adjust brew pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by 5F637E656F6E796C646F0B0 link=1269596662/10#10 date=1269670348
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C7D77647A7F65160 link=1269596662/9#9 date=1269667512
    stubborn greek male
    Tautology.
    Oxymoron
    ;D ;D ;D



Similar Threads

  1. Giotto Premium Plus: Ideal Brew Pressure?
    By Blackman in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th June 2011, 05:55 PM
  2. Adjusting Giotto Premium Brew Pressure
    By dumiya in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th November 2010, 10:43 AM
  3. How do you adjust VBM pressure stat??
    By redzone121 in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th April 2008, 12:24 PM
  4. Brew pressure adjust?
    By phil_jeffery in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th June 2007, 06:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •