Thread: Single-group options

Single-group options

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This isnt really intended as a WTB but a discussion about the merits of different machines. *However if I have posted in the wrong place, I apologies to the mod-gods. *Do as you will with my post.

Anyway, on with the post. *So to date I have been a responsible, good husband and put all my spare money away to buy a nice house for my wife. Mission accomplished. Now its time to kit out our new pad, and what better place to start than with a shiny, commercial-grade espresso machine.

I am looking for some suggestions as to what I should be looking for. *While I am no rookie behind a commercial machine, I have not purchased one before. *Now I need advice on some quality, "extreme" single group options that I can go hunting for. *Im looking to buy second-hand, and am not adverse to doing a little work and spending a little to refurb something good that needs a little TLC.

So here are the requirements:
    • single group
    • volumetric (it makes it easier simultaneously pull shots and entertain friends)
    • budget is $1200-$1500 max (on a second-hand machine, so its still gotta be "extreme". no Sunbeam for me. or Rancilio Silvia for that matter.)
    • relatively small footprint, deep is better than wide

Ive considered some usual suspects such as a Rancilio S27, La Cimbali Junior, Faema Compact. *Any more ideas?

Re: Single-group options

Quote Originally Posted by 03585D415A53320 link=1273060333/0#0 date=1273060333
    * single group
    * volumetric (it makes it easier simultaneously pull shots and entertain friends)
    * budget is $1200-$1500 max (on a second-hand machine, so its still gotta be "extreme". no Sunbeam for me. or Rancilio Silvia for that matter.)
    * relatively small footprint, deep is better than wide

Ive considered some usual suspects such as a Rancilio S27, La Cimbali Junior, Faema Compact.Any more ideas?
    Bezzera BZ35 should be added to your list
    Its a reliable work horse

I upgraded and now won a BZ40
    Older used models may be had at your buy price

And dont forget the grinder. A quality grinder makes life easier and the coffee better ::)
    KK

TC

Hello josha and welcome...

With 1.2-1.5k to play with, Id set my sights on something from the pointy end, most likely 5 or so years old and quite likely requiring some work..

Good luck ;)

2mcm

Another vote for the Bezzera, the BZ35 is a great commercial grade machine for the home.

Have a look on the Barazi site (CS sponsor and Bezerra agent), they have various 2nd hand machines on their website.

[QUOTE=654148484B4B7165415D43412E0 link=1273060333/1#1 date=1273061070]*

And dont forget the grinder. A quality grinder makes life easier and the coffee better * ::)
    KK

Ah, tu che. *Budget dependent, my plan was to pick up a Mazzer Mini. *I had been contemplating a Type-A because of the grind-to-order advantages, but *the manual dose version would work too.

On a related note, the Mazzer Mini is generally highly regarded. *But this confuses me a little because it is a flat burr grinder and as far as I understood, conical burr grinders offer a more consistent grind and expose the bean to less grinding friction-related heat (that can mess with a carefully conducted roast). *Discuss. :P

[QUOTE=316A6F736861000 link=1273060333/4#4 date=1273061828]

On a related note, the Mazzer Mini is generally highly regarded. *But this confuses me a little because it is a flat burr grinder and as far as I understood, conical burr grinders offer a more consistent grind and expose the bean to less grinding friction-related heat (that can mess with a carefully conducted roast). *Discuss. *:P
    Hang on. *Might move this little tease to the grinders forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 0E55504C575E3F0 link=1273060333/4#4 date=1273061828
    flat burr grinder and as far as I understood, conical burr grinders offer a more consistent grind
    OT not all Flat Burr grinders are created equal or run at high speed ;)

Expobar Office maybe worth considering as they are pretty slim. Also do over the local second hand commercial kitchen guys.

Hello 1josha.

You have posted in the full sized commercial section of this forum.

I have my doubts that you will pick up any 1 group commercial for the price stipulated, that is in good condition or that works properly, definitely not late model, and once you have finished buying a few parts required to get some old boat anchor to work, you will probably outstrip the real second hand value of the machine.

If you go old and volumetric/electronic (as in a touch pad machine) you will have problems with electronic parts (in the main obsolete nolonger available). I would not advise anyone to buy an old volumetric....if you are buying old, semi auto (electro mechanical) is the go. The same goes for "auto timer" machines, the timers being in the main unobtainable (& not worth the money you pay) so the machine must be workable as a semi auto.

Keep away from evil "auction" sites, where some people sell stuff that should have gone to the dump (and would have in pre evil auction site days). If you want to buy used, see it and touch it....it must be a tangible purchase....and to be seen to be operating thereby minimising the probablity of having to buy parts .....or dont buy. *Emotion must not be allowed to come into the equation. Most geriatric commercial espresso machines are not the vintage treasures that some think they are.....

If you have 1500 to spend, save another 500 and get a new budget model HX machine. They make better coffee than many older machines no matter how "commercial" they used to be and you wont be chasing your tail trying to work out why something doesnt work.

I know I know...wrong section of forum but.....Re grinders: a commercial or semi commercial machine in good working order should be matched to a similar type of grinder. Anything less and you would not have a good match" of pieces of equipment.

You are at home, so almost any good name small sized cafe grinder will do an admirable job for you. *Dont worry about flat burrs, conical burrs, friction or heat generation. It is the stuff of academic discussion not reality in low volume coffee making in a *home environment.

Larger grinders are for bigger volumes. Some in these pages will endlessly discuss academic differences in the perceived quality of the grinds delivered by different types of grinders and the resulting character of the brew, but we are all individuals with different opinions, perceptions, likes, dislikes, and capabilities when it comes to our palates *and frankly, a great many people cant tell the difference OR place a budgetary constraint on the purchase right at the start and are therefore prepared to live with the consequences.

If you have a couple thousand dollars and are willing to put it towards a conical grinder then so be it, but if you are only willing to, or only have say $600.00 to budget on a grinder, then dont allow yourself to be side tracked by academic discussions that are not relevant to your position. In any case, consider that coffee made with a $2000 grinder is not 3.3 times better than coffee made with a $600 grinder. Some will tell you there is a difference, and some cant tell in which case for them, the $1400.00 difference is totally wasted.

Also consider, is something "better" because it is "different", or just different?

Frankly, the grinder you mentioned above is already a top grinder for home use (and apparently (?) already above your budget).

Not trying to be facetious, just realistic. Good luck in your journey. If I can help, let me know off line.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

How do we feel about Expobar?

My hunt for a second-hand, volumetric, single group machine is not doing well. But I have found a two group Expobar compact.

How do we feel about expobar?

Thanks for the advice Attilio. Always nice to hear some pragmatic, considered views. PM sent.

I should also note that I am not overly concerned about having to pull apart and repair a machine if needed, even if it does cost me a little in parts. Id like the practical learning opportunity that this situation would present.

Good as long as it has been maintained. A well maintained low use expobar is good, a poorly maintained worn out expobar is bad!!

I have two expobar megacrems and I am a fan BTW.

I was thinking a 1 grp Boema would be a good fit in your price bracket.

like you said not many good ones show up in your price range, a few csers have recently sold "prosumer" 1 grps and you should have maybe grabbed one of those?

Also Dennis from CuppaCoffee is a agent GoGetta (a division of Silver Chef) they sometimes have some nice looking machines, maybe worth a look.

like others have said older machines may come with issues........ but i really like my 1 grp commercial and hope to always have one in my kitchen :)