Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben_neufeld
  • 1 Post By Thundergod

Thread: My Rancilio story!

My Rancilio story!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey folks, not sure quite where to post this up, but i think this is appropriate.

I saw in a *now removed wtb thread mischa was offering a non functional Rancilio commercial machine.

I made some enquiries, and managed to pick it up at a reasonable price... However it wasnt firing.

Over the course of the last week or so, ive set about fixing the old gal up, shes a rancilio L4 and on the inside is marked as being made in 1991, so she is a majestic 19 yrs old (im only 24 myself).

I had to plug a wire into the pump, and one of the ground wires was loose. My mate and I cut the spade end off the earth cable, crimped on a ring terminal (whatever theyre called) and screwed the ground down to the frame.

Filled the tank and she fired!

However there was a blockage in some small filterey thing at the T junction where the pump diverts between either the heat exchanger or the entry to the boiler.

We disassembled the T piece, cleaned the filter, and descaled the build up of junk inside the blocked valve, and had to rejig the spring.

rebuilt it all, descaled and backflushed her.

Then i ordered new baskets, blind filter, a double spout, new showerscreen, showerscreen screw, group head gasket, new steam and hot water knobs (thanks to coffeeparts) and installed all the new goodies.

Brewed a few coffees but noted that there wasnt much steam pressure. Then after a few more coffees the steam valve went kaput, and just wouldnt open.

Disassembled the valve, and found that the stainless nut that opens the valve, had decimated the brass thread on the sleeve of the valve.

Picked up a new sleeve and nut and rebuilt and reinstalled the valve yesterday.

Also noted a small waterleak near the pressure limiting valve after the ulka pump. Thought it was the valve, so disconnected it, tefloned up the threads and rebuilt, but to no avail. Realised there was a hairline crack in the watertank which i have since patched (as finding rancilio water tanks has proven difficult)

Breweed up a few spectacular coffees last night and this morning, and absolutely loving my bargain basement entry into the world of HX brewing :)

Im loving this site, and for any other Rancilio owner be sure to check their US website, not just the global site for manuals, as the L7/L6/L4 manual was not on the global site but WAS on the *US site.

Between the sponsors, and the members i couldnt possibly be where i am now, and yeah, just wanted to share my stories!!

Fwiw, the machine has all up (including all the parts etc) come in at <$500 :)
    dgood likes this.

Re: My Rancilio story!

Pictures?
    koshari likes this.

ill get some up in a bit... Only got a couple of pics on my iphone atm..

I think this one belongs in the Extreme Machines forum.

The price ranges listed should have "as new" or "rrp" or something like that added to them

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs527.snc3/29948_10150181346035562_896450561_12393886_7737511 _n.jpg
    [/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 4C464649464042270 link=1273528715/3#3 date=1273541085
    I think this one belongs in the Extreme Machines forum.

The price ranges listed should have "as new" or "rrp" or something like that added to them
    This is the correct category Greg as these machines and later models fall well within the new purchase price range....

Mal.

old thread but this is the only dedicated result that comes up
    looking at one of these to increase production from a silvia & sm90
    found it for under $100
    does have element issues though
    Last edited by JWILL; 13th April 2015 at 12:30 PM.