Thread: VBM Domobar Jr - what a nice machine!

VBM Domobar Jr - what a nice machine!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thanks to the man at Talk Coffee, I am now a proud owner of a VBM Domobar Jr! *8-) *When Chris told me that he tuned & bench tested this baby and it will run like a dream, man he wasnt kidding! :o

When I first got it yesterday, I plugged it in and got it up to temp - pulled a lever a couple of times to see what goes on - not once does the water "flash" because it is too hot. *Adjusted my grinder a few times to get the grind right and pulled a shot that oozed so beautifully and just tasted like liquid gold. *Left it alone for about three more hours and then pulled a shot immediately with no cooling flush - I was so excited by the results I seriously had goosebumps!

Then there is that somewhat notorious wide angled steam nozzle on the VBM Junior that is supposed to be hard to tame. *To my surprise, based on Chris advise on how he does it - managed to texture milk that poured like velvet on my first go!

I guess there are two things from this - the first is that the VBM Domobar Jr is worth every cent *8-), and the second is the importance to go to a supplier who knows what theyre doing - to go somewhere else is just a waste of time and money. *Itll be like buying a luxury car, and then taking it for a service at Backyard Bobs who will turn it into a Hyundai for ya. * ;D

Re: VBM Domobar Jr - what a nice machine!

I totally agree. I find that I almost NEVER have to do a cooling flush. And the steam wand you are totally spot on. It is difficult to tame - only because it is different to most other machines. It comes down to wand placement. If the salesman, like Chris, or in my case Renzo shows you where to put the steam wand, you get instant microfoam. Like anything it isnt necessarily difficult with milk, just different angle and placement to most other machines.

I havent got much to compare with, but I love my Jnr.

Site Sponsor

The Junior is a beautiful machine hands down. Congratulations on the purchase!

You hit the nail on the head there Bennet.. get the right training and support from the start and you avoid all the potential headaches of buying a "box".

TC

Thanks for the feedback Gavin, much appreciated!

I must say that ECA are setting up their gear beautifully in the pre-delivery check before the gear freights to us. If only other companies would do the same ::)

In the bench test of Gavins Domobar Junior, all that was needed was a check for 9 bar at the group (via p/fpressure gauge) and also of boiler pressure. We also check for shipment dings/leaks). Everything else was already done as ECA ensures that their gear freights ready to roll.

The important thing as fas as I am concerned is after sales. If anything does go wrong, were here and we can attend to the problem rather than fobbing you off to some other bloke somewhere ;)

Chris

What is the story with the lever having a place it stops between on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by 5F44454E4E2B0 link=1275781489/4#4 date=1275821092
    The middle position allows pre-infusion of the puck under low pressure without the pump running, however it only really works on plumbed in machines where the puck will be pre-infused at line pressure (around 2-3 Bar) If your running off the inboard tank the middle position doesnt really do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E7A73707E7C6161150 link=1275781489/5#5 date=1275860696
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F44454E4E2B0 link=1275781489/4#4 date=1275821092
    The middle position allows pre-infusion of the puck under low pressure without the pump running, however it only really works on plumbed in machines where the puck will be pre-infused at line pressure (around 2-3 Bar) If your running off the inboard tank the middle position doesnt really do anything.
    You can use the middle position to soak the group head for a few minutes when doing a chemical backflush.

thanks

Ive removed the "cap" on the double spouts as I love to watch my shots ooze out - which makes me wonder, what is the cap for anyway? Why hide the beauty of an oozing perfect shot? (which btw is so easy to get out of this machine ;) )

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4147504F48260 link=1275781489/8#8 date=1275969373
    Ive removed the "cap" on the double spouts as I love to watch my shots ooze out - which makes me wonder, what is the cap for anyway? *Why hide the beauty of an oozing perfect shot? (which btw is so easy to get out of this machine *;) )
    Often thought the same ?

1: Less access to air and thus better heat retention ?

2: To stop all the frothing and splattering ya get when the group is used in GJ *;)

3: To stop the cockies from getting back in *::) * ( sorry other post about cockroaches living in coffee machines)

4: More cleaning for the Dish B" at the end of the day..

I go with 1: *;)

1A: Some have the screw such that if ya machine off level you can turn it a bit... thus like a mini dam / diverter and you can set so that ya pours are even / equal for both sides..

Or like me... Have teh good and biggest shot into my cup and teh other stuff into teh cup for teh wife OR drain.

agree with the above awesome little machine - when tuned properly ( and no cooling flush needed)

I just gave my handle a good clean out with some cotton buds.. quite a bit of burned coffee crap stuck in there (and i do soak it in detergent regularly)

i also pulled off the spout cover after about 2 days. stupid piece of metal...

id now like to pull off the entire spout - i dont see what the purpose is since i never make single shots.

anyone know how the spout is attached? im guessing its "heatshrunk" on. So, to remove it (and thus make a bottomless group handle) could I blowtorch the spout and hit it with a hammer or twist it off?

otherwise, ill borrow someones grinder. (and try not to make a mess of the chrome)

dont the spouts just screw on?

like any other group handle........

Quote Originally Posted by 69656C616168040 link=1275781489/11#11 date=1275972089
    dont the spouts just screw on?
    Certainly do, removed the single spout & fitted a straight short spot from Coffee Parts, easier to clean and I very seldom make anything less than a double into a single............

Steve

interesting. * it looks like it should screw on, but this aint twisting off with the help of a large wrench.
    will try some heat and CRC
    ..any excuse to use the blowtorch! :D

You dont need a blowtorch, however they screw on very tight. I happened to be at coffeeparts buying a new spout and I showed the guys there. They took it across the road to a mechanic who put it in a vice to get the spout off. ;)

When I took the spouts off my VBM handles, I locked the spout in a vice and cranked on the handle. I reckon I was close to breaking the handle before the thread sealant gave way. ;D

I recommend some heat to soften the sealant.

Greg

I didnt know where to post this, but I just had to. I have been using my VBM Jnr for a few months now, and I love it. Up till now I have been using my trusty Nuovo Point tulip cups - I am not sure what the volume is - to make a 60ml double topped up with milk. I dont know what you would technically call it - strong latte or double macchiato. It tasted good but the balance was slightly wrong to my taste buds. Yesterday whilst at Ikea I bought a cheap set of duralex imitation small latte glasses total volume 150ml. This morning my 60ml double topped up to 150ml in the new glass tasted amazing. I cant believe the difference. I know its a very small thing, but when you get the right glassware for your particular tastes, then its like the stars have aligned. I love my VBM jnr *:)

Quote Originally Posted by 5C5B50505B4A4A3E0 link=1275781489/16#16 date=1276398280
    Yesterday whilst at Ikea I bought a cheap set of duralex imitation small latte glasses total volume 150ml. This morning my 60ml double topped up to 150ml in the new glass tasted amazing. I cant believe the difference. I know its a very small thing, but when you get the right glassware for your particular tastes, then its like the stars have aligned. I love my VBM jnr *:)
    This is my standard drink too Bennet.... More or less, a Doppio Piccolo Latté 8-)

Mal.

Picked up my Junior the other day from Supreme roasters. And yes it is a nice machine. Works so well and build quality is through the roof. Only issue is the rattle on the spill tray but some tape soon fixed that minor probleml. Also thanks roger for the training and tips.