Thread: Diadema Portafilter

Diadema Portafilter

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

After using this machine for a week, I noticed the chrome plating of the portafilter is peeling around the two tabs. This is my first new machine so I dont know if this is normal. Just need to keep an eye that the peel dont end up in the coffee.

Just wondering if the plating will continue to peel off over time.....

Cheers

TC

Re: Diadema Portafilter

Quote Originally Posted by 0612010E0A0105600 link=1276086797/0#0 date=1276086797
    Hi,

After using this machine for a week, I noticed the chrome plating of the portafilter is peeling around the two tabs. This is my first new machine so I dont know if this is normal. *Just need to keep an eye that the peel dont end up in the coffee.

Cheers
    Hi Franjae,

Yes- pretty normal. You will find that all of the chrome inside eventually goes as well. I sometimes wonder where it goes, but it definitely does. Metal surfaces together > abrasion ;)

I just went and looked at what i assume are 15 yr old group handles.

"some" of the chrome has come off around the tabs but not all.

in the high wear (leverage) spots is quite worn (underneath tab) but other spots not at all.

take a few pictures and compare it in a few more weeks to see if it continues badly or stops / slows down. then you also have something to show if it starts to peel off all over (doubt it but)

brett230873

I noticed the chrome of my portafilters wearing inconsistently becasue, despite both being used, only one was being washed in the dishwasher. The other would get done in the sink with detergent (strange habits we humans). The dishwasher cleansed PF is very worn-looking while the other is still sparkly and shiny new...despite similar usage. I will now try the same experiment with the cats... or NOT! ;D

Thanks guys. I havent noticed this before as my previous machines were all second hand. So my turn to ingest some metal then :D

Cheers!

I think you might find it is the actual washing product used in the dishwasher that is so much more++ aggressive :( than the dishwashing liquid used by human hands :D

Quote Originally Posted by 495D4E41454E4A2F0 link=1276086797/0#0 date=1276086797
    Hi,

After using this machine for a week, I noticed the chrome plating of the portafilter is peeling around the two tabs. This is my first new machine so I dont know if this is normal. *Just need to keep an eye that the peel dont end up in the coffee.

Cheers

My group handles look like new on all areas except a little where they grind together (metal to metal) on the lugs

Now I dont bash them around as in
    I dont hit them on the grinder forks
    I dont hit them with the tamper

Do that and it weakens the chrome as its only a fine chrome layer thats electroplated on brass

picture is of my group handles quite a few
    months old
    KK

Have not had this problem, my first machine 9 years old, some minor wear to the contact point of lugs (brass visible) second machine 6 months, no signs of wear at all.
    As a matter of interest chrome aint chrome, depends if the plating is decorative or industrial (Hard chrome tends to be thicker than the less durable decorative treatment, typically ranging from 0.075 to 0.25 millimetre (0.0030 to 0.0098 in), but thinner and thicker layers are not uncommon.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4357444B4F4440250 link=1276086797/0#0 date=1276086797
    I noticed the chrome plating of the portafilter is peeling around the two tabs
    It depends what you mean by peeling; do you mean wear (as in the pic from KK) or flaking?

As in peeling off..... Not sure why they bother with this very thin layer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A5E4D42464D492C0 link=1276086797/9#9 date=1276561122
    Peeling = poor surface preparation and poor quality chrome, week old = warranty, take it back to the supplier. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 77535A5A59596377534F51533C0 link=1276086797/6#6 date=1276512226
    oup handles look like new on all areas except a little where they grind together (metal to metal) on the lugs

Now I dont bash them around as in
    I dont hit them on the grinder forks
    I dont hit them with the tamper

Do that and it weakens the chrome as its only a fine chrome layer thats electroplated on brass
    Top of the class.. KK

AND

Quote Originally Posted by 655950485D3C0 link=1276086797/10#10 date=1276562034
    Quote Originally Posted by 4A5E4D42464D492C0 link=1276086797/9#9 date=1276561122
    Peeling = poor surface preparation and poor quality chrome, week old = warranty, take it back to the supplier. :)
    Yep... Sunbeam had the same sort of problem... *But they ended up with a normal layer for the most with a second thin layer that peeled off.. The flaks were a pain and the edges of the chrome are sharp and can cut with ease..

Thus when ya make ya coffee... Remember to up sell.. You what Chrome or body bits with that *;)

Quote Originally Posted by 1F30393B2C133F303F393B333B302A5E0 link=1276086797/11#11 date=1276563430
    the edges of the chrome are sharp and can cut with ease..
    Very true. :o

If the chrome plating peels in a week, I will assume it will be the same even if I exchange it. Just the manufacturers quality standards I think. Ill leave that to the sponsors to comment.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3723303F3B3034510 link=1276086797/13#13 date=1276574917
    If the chrome plating peels in a week, I will assume it will be the same even if I exchange it. *Just the manufacturers quality standards I think. *Ill leave that to the sponsors to comment.
    I would suggest NOT...

The units I have had have been great.. Never had problems with Diadema and chrome peeling... It will fade / wear over time / use but not peeling..

Contact the supplier etc and follow up... The forum is public and not really the best place to go to; other than for some biased or focused comments....

Contact ya supplier / sponsor ASAP and do it off line.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 4256454A4E4541240 link=1276086797/13#13 date=1276574917
    If the chrome plating peels in a week, I will assume it will be the same even if I exchange it. *Just the manufacturers quality standards I think. *Ill leave that to the sponsors to comment.
    You can always get a dud in a batch (poor surface prep etc) doesnt mean they will all peel.
    If it worries you take it back to the supplier, if your happy to live with it fair enough, I know what Id do.
    Quote Originally Posted by 654A43415669454A45434149414A50240 link=1276086797/14#14 date=1276575148
    Contact the supplier etc and follow up... The forum is public and not really the best place to go to; other than for some biased or focused comments....

Contact ya supplier / sponsor ASAP and do it off line.
    I agree with AM. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2F3B282723282C490 link=1276086797/13#13 date=1276574917
    I will second AMs comment just above.
    This is not a board topic, its something that you have to take up with your supplier privately, just like with the purchase of any item not coffee related.

All you can get here is individuals opinions. Opinions cant get you an amicable resolve with the only person or business that counts - your supplier.

If you are going to send photos to your supplier, please make sure they clearly show what you are concerned about from a number of different angles and from close up enough.

Group handles are manufactured "off site" by companies that make....group handles.....for everyone. They are not made by the manufacturer of your espresso machine. *

If chrome is now peeling, it is not a reflection on the brand of your coffee machine, especially if there was no chrome peeling when you took delivery...I am not trying to make fun of the situation, but I dont think anyone has invented a *peelometer* just yet to help manufacturers calculate how long the chrome on their group handle lugs might last.

The chrome always ends up wearing off. Its only a matter of time...more or less wear......sooner or later....nothing to do with brand of machine as already mentioned. It is relatively rare to see chrome wearing away so quickly, but *depends not only on the original manufacture of the item, but also what the owner does with it. Does it go in the dish washer? Does the owner frequently use group head deterget? *Is the owner rough with the equipment? *Has it been dropped? Is the owner hitting it with a tamper?

In the end, common sense has to prevail. Most equipment is guaranteed for 12 months. The guarantee is there to protect the owner against faulty manufacture and assembly. It does not protect against incorrect use (an example of this would be hitting the group handle with a tamper to settle the grinds), or wear and tear.

So what to do? Will the supplier replace the group handle now, despite being secure in the knowledge that even if he does, it will have started to wear off sometime in the next 12 months anyway because that is the place where the wear occurs and it is normal wear and tear?

Fit for purpose? In this individual instance I believe so.

If chrome was peeling from somewhere other than in a direct wear area, that would most probably be a different story.

If it is wearing off the lugs, might it come off somewhere else....? Unlikely, and quite rare except with a good deal of age and use or rough handling.

That is my opinion, but only your supplier can properly address these questions with you*and no one else.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

Thanks for your reply Attilio. At this stage it is mainly around the lugs, so I presume it is rubbed off where it locked into the grouphead. As to how it is treated, the same as I treat any portafilters. It doesnt get thrown into the dishwasher and washed after use. I do tap it with the tamper and I do intend to soak it in future with detergent. If all this causes peeling, well......I dont think it should. Wear over time, but not peel. Cheers!