• 2 Post By Dimal
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 4 Post By JMcCee
  • 1 Post By JMcCee
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Lubricating Bezzera E61 Cam.

Lubricating Bezzera E61 Cam.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Seems the cam on the Bezzera Galatea needs frequent lubrication, particularly after back flushing with Cafetto EVO, the lube gets washed out during the flush and you can feel the harsh metal on metal grinding when the lever is operated, continued unlubed operation must hasten wear.
    I pulled the whole lever assy out the first few times I did the lube job but thats a bit of a pain in the rear end.
    What I do now is remove the mushroom, spring and valve, twist a small piece of cotton wool onto the end of a satay stick, like a long cotton bud, squeeze a small amount of Innox food grade grease onto the end of the cotton wool and carefully insert the cotton tip so that it contacts the cam, operate the lever a couple of times to spread the grease over the surface of the cam, remove the stick (and cotton wool) reassemble and Bobs yer uncle.
    The whole job from start to finish can be done in a couple of mins and is certainly much easier than pulling the complete assy apart.
    Have had no experience with other machines but imagine any using an E61 group would be able to be greased in a similar manner. :)

Re: Lubricating Bezzera E61 Cam.

I dont or did not have that problem on my Galatea but I use Puly Caff Cleaner

One only needs 1/4 of a teaspoon of detergent to do the job

To grease you dont pull off the mushroom just big nut that secures the handle *
    That exposes the cam for greasing and you dont need to pull anything apart just leave it intact

If you want me to talk you through it by phone you only need to ask

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 0A2E272724241E0A2E322C2E410 link=1276419113/1#1 date=1276420808
    I dont or did not have that problem on my Galatea but I use Puly Caff Cleaner

One only needs 1/4 of a teaspoon of detergent to do the job

To grease you dont pull off the mushroom just big nut that secures the handle *
    That exposes the cam for greasing and you dont need to pull anything apart just leave it intact

If you want me to talk you through it by phone you only need to ask

KK
    Thanks KK, As I said in my post have done the job as you describe a number of times, I found removing the mushroom quicker, simpler and just as effective. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7C40495144250 link=1276419113/2#2 date=1276422628
    Thanks KK, As I said in my post have done the job as you describe a number of times, I found removing the mushroom quicker, simpler and just as effective
    Well if you want me to send you some Pully Caff to try it out
    I would be happy to post some to you

KK

A_M

What lube are you using..

Lube is not lube... Oils aint Oils and neither is Grease, Grease... Depending on teh function one may suite and another may not.

Many a user has found out the hard way - Vaseline is not Vicks and nor is it the other way round. ;)

PS. Vacuum grease is great.. Usually resistant to most cleaning compounds and still performs under pressure and acts as a lube for slow moving parts... Could be just what ya want..

Quote Originally Posted by 6A454C4E59664A454A4C4E464E455F2B0 link=1276419113/4#4 date=1276425131
    Evening AM, as I said in my first post in this thread Im using (Innox food grade grease) High temp extreme pressure.
    Im not having a problem, in fact the exact opposite, started the post to let members know of what I feel is an easy method of carrying out a minor maintenance procedure.
    The Cafetto EVO seems to be doing an excellent job of back flushing so all is good. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3A333330300A1E3A26383A550 link=1276419113/3#3 date=1276423173
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C40495144250 link=1276419113/2#2 date=1276422628
    Thanks KK, As I said in my post have done the job as you describe a number of times, I found removing the mushroom quicker, simpler and just as effective
    Well if you want me to send you some Pully Caff to try it out
    I would be happy to post some to you

KK
    Thanks KK, Im pretty happy with the EVO, it does an excellent job of cleaning, not only back flushing but also cleans PFs and baskets very well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 605C554D58390 link=1276419113/6#6 date=1276429271
    Thanks KK, Im pretty happy with the EVO, it does an excellent job of cleaning, not only back flushing but also cleans PFs and baskets very well.
    The reason I offered the Pully Caff is for experimental reasons, because I had very little or nil cam squeak issues

Try reducing the amount of EVO you use ?

KK

Ive never had the need to lube the Lever Cam. Basically, after a detergent back-flush I just pull a seasoning shot and everything is back to as smooth as could be. Ive checked the state of the surface of the Cam recently and after nearly 15 months of continuous use, theres not a mark on the Cam or the Valve Stem it actuates....

No need to make more work than is required or necessary.... ;)

Mal.

Same here with the Giotto Mal. The lever gets tight and "grindy" during the back flush process but goes back to normal after a seasoning shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 705D595558340 link=1276419113/8#8 date=1276436330
    Ive never had the need to lube the Lever Cam. Basically, after a detergent back-flush I just pull a seasoning shot and everything is back to as smooth as could be. Ive checked the state of the surface of the Cam recently and after nearly 15 months of continuous use, theres not a mark on the Cam or the Valve Stem it actuates....

No need to make more work than is required or necessary.... ;)

Mal.
    Have a read here Mal http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-lubrication
    I come from a mechanical background and have no doubt that lubrication of the cam will help prevent wear to the pins and cam[img][/img] and can certainly do no harm.

Here is an excerpt from the page,

(There are 3 culprits that contribute to cam follower (cam pins) wear
    Backflushing With Cleaner

A backflush with cleaner gradually removes any lubrication from the group, over time this lack of lubrication wears the cam followers on the upper and lower valves (the inlet and preinfusion valve)….the cam being bronze not brass (or a harder alloy of brass), does not wear as much as the pins….but still wears a little. We are told that any stiffness of the lever will soon go as the coffee oils start lubricating the area again, but Coffee oil really is not that effective a lubricating agent…I used to think it was, but experience has taught me this is not the case. I backflush with cleaner every 2-4 weeks depending on use and on the taste/colour of the cooled water drawn from the group.)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 39050C1401600 link=1276419113/5#5 date=1276429084
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A454C4E59664A454A4C4E464E455F2B0 link=1276419113/4#4 date=1276425131
    Evening AM, as I said in my first post in this thread Im using (Innox food grade grease) High temp extreme pressure.
    Im not having a problem, in fact the exact opposite, started the post to let members know of what I feel is an easy method of carrying out a minor maintenance procedure.
    The Cafetto EVO seems to be doing an excellent job of back flushing so all is good. *:)
    Got to say I have tube/s of that stuff all over teh place and tend to use in a few machines / equipment.. Forget the food grade... *It ticks all the other boxes for me as well *8-)

All fair enough Jon...

My background wasnt restricted to just electrical engineering as it happens.... ;)

I respect what others believe is required but I prefer to administer maintenance based on my monitoring the condition of the hardware being maintained and like I said, on my machine there isnt a single sign of wear and tear after 15 mths - and one seasoning shot returns everything back to normal. Nothing else is required.

Wear may be observable on the Valve Pin/Stem further on down the track and I believe that that is intended to be the case, rather than wear out the Cam which is Chrome Plated - Chrome being much harder than the brass from which the Pin/Stem is manufactured. No doubt, due to manufacturing tolerances et al, the Chrome Plating on the Cam may sometimes be of a lesser thickness than is preferred or required which in turn, can lead to premature wearing of the Cam Face.

So far though, mines looking pretty good so will stick with the current regime of maintenance being applied.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 14393D313C500 link=1276419113/12#12 date=1276603236
    My background wasnt restricted to just electrical engineering as it happens....
    Wasnt suggesting otherwise Mal, simply conveying the fact that I also know a little about machinery.

I prefer to administer maintenance based on my monitoring the condition of the hardware being maintained *
    My feelings exactly.

one seasoning shot returns everything back to normal. *
    If I dont lubricate the cam I can still feel metal to metal a week later.

rather than wear out the Cam which is Chrome Plated
    Ah ha, this may well be the difference, the cam in the Bezzera is either bronze or brass, I can certainly see how a chrome plated cam would wear the pins, however brass to brass keeps the surfaces a nice gold colour as well, fortunately the pin and cam assy look pretty easy to replace if and when the time comes. *:)

Quote Originally Posted by 0E323B2336570 link=1276419113/13#13 date=1276610615
    Ah ha, this may well be the difference, the cam in the Bezzera is either bronze or brass, I can certainly see how a chrome plated cam would wear the pins, however brass to brass keeps the surfaces a nice gold colour as well, fortunately the pin and cam assy look pretty easy to replace if and when the time comes. *:)
    Absolutely Jon.... 8-)

And given that these components are also quite inexpensive, its almost a non-issue.... ;)

Cheers mate.... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Absolutely Jon.... 8-)

And given that these components are also quite inexpensive, its almost a non-issue....

Cheers mate....

Mal.
    When I got my Bez the lever was slick but after by first Caffeto backflush its tighter and squeaks...doesnt feel right. 20 shots later and margin improvement. Looks my machine might be in the lube required category... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    When I got my Bez the lever was slick but after by first Caffeto backflush its tighter and squeaks...doesnt feel right. 20 shots later and margin improvement. Looks my machine might be in the lube required category... Cheers
    Morning Ozscott, Yep, Cafetto does strip the lube away, you should be able to lube the cam by removing the mushroom, spring and pin, then using something long and thin (I use a satay stick) put a dab of food grade grease on the cam, much easier than removing the handle/cam assy.
    E61__2.jpg
    Last edited by Yelta; 1 Week Ago at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added .jpg
    flynnaus and ozscott like this.

Trouble is, this only lubes half the cam, the portion that engages with the upper valve.
    Not hard to remove the cam ass'y, lube and replace...

Another option, is to have the cam "hard chrome faced" and this issue will never be a problem again.

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Thanks gents. Any tips for first time strip down. I am assuming screw comes off the side of the lever allowing handle removal which in turn allows a socket (with cloth or tape...yikes) over the main fitting on the side of the group and once that is off the cam is accessible? Cheers

G'day mate...

There are some good videos around re: How-To, like this one for example. There is a thread here too, that covers it with plenty of detail...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Ok she's smooth as silk again. Used Inox food grade lube. I love how heavily built the group is and how easy it is to strip and rebuild. Love it.

Cheers
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

Excellent Oz'...

Yep, love the Old School design and quality of these groups too. Can't beat 'em.

Mal.
    ozscott and Yelta like this.

Morin Ozscott, good job well done.

I've contemplated Mals hard chrome option for the cam, however, one of those jobs I've never found time to do, means machine down time, trip or send to Adelaide, all too hard, perhaps if/when I need to replace the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Morin Ozscott, good job well done.

I've contemplated Mals hard chrome option for the cam, however, one of those jobs I've never found time to do, means machine down time, trip or send to Adelaide, all too hard, perhaps if/when I need to replace the cam.
    I just bought a new one and sent it off to have the cam chromed (they're pretty cheap). Replaced the original the next time I serviced the Group...

Mal.
    ozscott, Paolo and Yelta like this.

Hi Mal. Would you mind letting me know where you got yours hard faced? I am somewhat underwhelmed by the fact that despite a liberal greasing and no chemical backflush the handle of my Bez is getting stiff and a little squeaky again... not happy Jan!

Should I just let it grind away and reach a happy medium...? Because from memory each valve gets replaced eventually when the seals go... I can live with the squeaks and stiffness as long as I'm not doing damage that isn't easily repairable.

Cheers

Be wary of hard chroming the cam. The cam surface will last forever but will cause premature wear on the upper and lower valve pins and before you know it you'll be wondering why the exhaust and brew valves are misbehaving.

Edit: one issue that rarely gets mentioned re cam wear is the orientation of the valve pins that contact the cam. Grinding and a dry feeling thru the lever can be caused by the pins being on an angle with the corners digging into the cam rather than being square on. Easily checked and rectified by removing the actuator/lever assembly and if necessary turning the valves straight on with needle nose pliers.
    Last edited by JMcCee; 1 Day Ago at 07:15 PM.
    ozscott, Yelta, CafeLotta and 1 others like this.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. This pic shows the bottom valve pin alignment before I pulled the cam out. Does that look right?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    Be wary of hard chroming the cam. The cam surface will last forever but will cause premature wear on the upper and lower valve pins and before you know it you'll be wondering why the exhaust and brew valves are misbehaving.
    This is NOT true...
    If the chrome plating is completed correctly, the contact interface between the two materials produces such little friction that all that eventually occurs, is that the brass valve stems become highly polished over time with the result that the valve ass's last more than four times as long. Also, no sign of metal 'drag' (galling) on the valve stems either...

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 8 Hours Ago at 02:04 PM.

It's a bit hard to tell on that angle. Maybe pull the assembly and have a squiz. If you've done it once you should be able to do it with your eyes closed =)
    ozscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Hi Mal. Would you mind letting me know where you got yours hard faced? I am somewhat underwhelmed by the fact that despite a liberal greasing and no chemical backflush the handle of my Bez is getting stiff and a little squeaky again... not happy Jan!
    I arranged it through a machine-shop owner here in Warwick who uses a business in Brisbane.
    I did a quick look-up on businesses in Brissy and noticed that there are quite a few to pick from, so I guess the easiest thing to do would be to contact a number of them and find which operations are setup to handle small items...

It's only the cam periphery that needs to be hard faced, not the entire component.

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Ok pulled apart again. Pins have same surface approach angles on all 4 sides. Some even minor wear on pin surfaces and cam. Relubed and back together. Short of chroming cam this might be the new normal...(although smooth now because of lube)

Cheers