Thread: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II - Its here!!!

La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II - Its here!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday Folks,

Finally took the plunge and upgraded my VBM Piccolo to the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II from Chris @ Talk Coffee. *After originally having my heart set on the VBM Super or a Giotto PP, Chris patiently went through the PROs and CONS of each machine not once putting on the hard sell. I then spent a night online going through each machine thoroughly. The reasons I choose the Mini Vivaldi were:
    1. Very easy to use and volumetric (esp for my wife who was scared of the VBM);
    2. Refillable from the front, living in Defence housing, the cupboards are notoriously low and not having to remove the cup tray each time I refill was a huge plus;
    3. The ability to select brew temp;
    4. Good reputation for steam and I liked the idea of the lever;
    5. At only $2499 cam in well under my $3K budget;

I have only had the machine on for an hour and my initial impression is that me and the mini Viv is going to have a long happy relationship! It did take a little longer to set up this machine compared to the VBM due to its complexity but I must say the manual is easy to follow and comprehensive.
    The machine came well packaged and sent on a wooden pallet.

The only negatives was that the machine is not mini as the name suggests it is quite a lot bigger than the VBM Piccolo. It also did not come with a blind filter for back flushing, but I will contact chris during BH to organise one.

Stay tuned for further updates

Cheers

Dane

]

TC

Re: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II - Its here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 61646B60676A707C050 link=1277802297/0#0 date=1277802297
    .....The only negatives was that the machine is not mini as the name suggests it is quite a lot bigger than the VBM Piccolo. It also did not come with a blind filter for back flushing.....Dane
    Grr...Ill attend to that Dane....Why they put one in the Vivaldi II and not in the mini I dont know *>:( ::)

Cheers Chris.

This machine is awesome. For a Vibratory Pump it is super quiet. It is sooo asy its almost like a super auto!

Congrats on the upgrade Dane
    I am sure you will have many happy conversations over a nice coffee

KK

TC

We have a few more where this one came from... 8-)

Dual boiler + 1oC temp control + volumetric is a bit of a bargain at $2.5k I reckon ;)

Its also the perfect small office machine....

Chris

we MUST stick together Dane. there arent too many of us lurking around these parts. slowly, one by one we will illuminate the stuck minds of the 58mm universe, delivering the promise of a narrower but brighter future...

Beautiful setup there Dane.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

You have to admit, these are a very nice looking machine and built to a very high standard. Have lotsa fun.... ;D 8-)

Mal.

Phwooar! ;D

Im sorry Alex Duetto and Rocket Evoluzione, theres a new poster on my wish list wall! *;)

Congratulations Dane, a very nice machine - I saw a 3 group version in a coffee shop the other day and yours truly is a mini version of it.

Nice bling! 8-)

James

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 57525D56515C464A330 link=1277802297/0#0 date=1277802297
    Gday Folks,

Finally took the plunge and upgraded my VBM Piccolo to the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II from Chris @ Talk Coffee. *After originally having my heart set on the VBM Super or a Giotto PP, Chris patiently went through the PROs and CONS of each machine not once putting on the hard sell. I then spent a night online going through each machine thoroughly. The reasons I choose the Mini Vivaldi were:
    1. Very easy to use and volumetric (esp for my wife who was scared of the VBM);
    2. Refillable from the front, living in Defence housing, the cupboards are notoriously low and not having to remove the cup tray each time I refill was a huge plus;
    3. The ability to select brew temp;
    4. Good reputation for steam and I liked the idea of the lever;
    5. At only $2499 cam in well under my $3K budget;

Congrats...

1 - 4 were what I was looking for...

5 - They were not available at teh $$ or physically; when I was looking...

Then the real issue hit me... My very limited space... Thus a different coffee machine or a new house.. Thus I got my DCM...

But you have a great machine and I also love teh Steam lever ;D

Enjoy....

TC

Flyer attached for those wanting further information ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 332E2A2F2424410 link=1277802297/5#5 date=1277815493
    we MUST stick together Dane. there arent too many of us lurking around these parts. slowly, one by one we will illuminate the stuck minds of the 58mm universe, delivering the promise of a narrower but brighter future...
    So true Roknee...
    It has been reported that the 53mm is alot more forgiving than the 58mm due to it being deeper. My first shot was a sinker but the next one after adjusting the grind was very drinkable. Looking forward to more fine tuning to achieve some regular GOD shots!

i have to say from my own experience that the 53mm handle does not mean that channelling doesnt happen. at times i get uneven extractions due to potentially any number of reasons. i think i have found that careful dosing levels helps the process for this machine.

then again there is the old vibe pumps are more forgiving bc of their more gradual pressure build up than rotary pumps (where theres no preinfusion).

it is a sweet machine. i usually pull some blank shots through to heat up the grouphead before pulling my first shot for the day. id love to scace it but im real happy with the espresso thats pouring out (especially now with my bnz grinder).

ive also found some blends (from top roasters) dont seem to extract well and i have no idea why at this point...

enjoy your baby

Dane

Hows life going with the Vivaldi?

James

Gday James,

I am enjoying life with the Vivaldi very much.

Heres a run down of my observations over the past 5 weeks:

1. At first I thought the vivaldi was a little lacking in the looks department in comparison to the bling of an e61 with plenty of chrome and stainless. *The machines appearance has definately grown on me. I think it is a very handsome machine :-* ::). It has a larger footprint than most other machines I looked at. I have since bought a sideboard/buffet and moved it out of the kitchen to gain some bench space back. Those looking for a new machine with limited bench space should rub this one off their list;

2. I have found that the Vivaldi is alot lore consistant than my previous machine (VBM Piccolo). The consistancy of the volumatic control matched with the mazzer dialled correctly in gives shot after shot of goodness. I found myself constantly adjusting the grinder with the VBM, on the other hand only minor adjustments are necessary when I switch to certain bean types. However I believe my shots will improve when I get my Pullman back from being resized to fit a 53mm basket. My current tamper (Reg Barber is probably 1-2mm too small and i maybe experiening some minor channelling.

3. I have been playing around with the brew temp with different beans. My palate seems to prefer African beans at a slightly higher temp to Indo and Sth American beans - still a lot more experimenting to do here but in short the temp is very easy to adjust.

4. This machine is a brute when it comes to steaming. I have since bought a thermometer to see how I was going. It turned out that I was overheating my milk but now lucious micro foam is only 15 secs away! The lever took some getting use to, but combined with the thermometer it is now a piece of cake. Waiting for the machine to recover is nonexistant, I think a well seasoned barista would have trouble making this one run out of puff.

5. It has a good sized cup holder with the added bonus of not having to remove it to re-fill - A big plus in this household. The water tank is a decent size with a built in filter. The drip tray is big and the grate is well designed that no water or coffee is collected up top. The build quality is solid even though it has a considerable amount of plastic.

6. As Chris has mentioned earlier, this machine would be the perfect office machine. People with no/limited coffee making skills would be churning out *coffee in very little time. Matched with a doserless grinder with the correct dosage would see this machine closing the gap on superautos in terms of ease of use. It is so easy my wife uses it at least once a day - she NEVER use the VBM once in the almost 2 year we had.

At this stage I could not see myself wanting to upgrade anytime soon. Although I was considering going doserless to replade the SJ. *;) To think I paid less than $2.5K for this machine with so many features - Its a BARGAIN.

A couple of pics in its new location! 8-)

Cheers

Dane

Dane

Thanks for the update. It certainly seems like a great machine, Ive yet to find anyone who gives it a bad review.

Have you got it set up on a timer? Does it take long to get the group warmed up in the morning?

James
    SniffCoffee

James,
    I dont have it on a timer. On some US websites it mentions a 7 day timer as an optional extra - I havent had the need to go down this path yet.
    You can however turn off the steam boiler and only run the 450ml brew boiler. This is what I do in the morning as I usually only drink espresso before work. I would say only 15 minutes to get up to temp on this setting, plus running some water through the group definitely helps

Quote Originally Posted by 79677F7264677C7D130 link=1277802297/14#14 date=1281097166
    Have you got it set up on a timer?
    You cant use a regular timer for one of these machines as there isnt a mechanical power switch to leave on.
    The analogy is that its like a computer, once its been turned on at the powerpoint, it still needs to be turned on at the machine.
    As Dane mentioned there is a timer available for it, but it looks like a plug in computer and it costs a few hundred $$$.

On another note, can anybody help out a newbie owner with some dosing tips for the La Spaz? Im having a little bit of trouble so far, although its only been 2 days ;).

gday lovey
    dosing tips?
    get urself a triple basket...check out the S1cafe site and purcahse one from there or u can sledge in (almost literally) a dalla corte mini triple basket into a naked handle. i chopped one of my handles and the triple sits in there full time. my experience with the machine is that it tends to be quite sensitive to dose level in the basket. slight impression of the nut in the shower screen is ok, not any higher though. my theory here is that bc the basket is smaller diameter than standard 58mm ones, the expansion in the puck increases due to less top surface area if that makes sense.

its also sensitive to dose. one more collapse/settling tap can alter the shot characteristics a fair bit. not necessarily a bad thing at all if you are consistent. i recommend playing with one bean/blend and playing round with it, dose, temp etc before moving to a different bean.

it is a sweet machine, but with no ramp up to pressure it is sensitive

aaron

Quote Originally Posted by 233E3A3F3434510 link=1277802297/17#17 date=1281174787
    get urself a triple basket...check out the S1cafe site and purcahse one from there
    Is there a particular portion of the site where you can buy these from, or do you have to buy them from Chris Coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by 233E3A3F3434510 link=1277802297/17#17 date=1281174787
    slight impression of the nut in the shower screen is ok, not any higher though
    I think thats been my problem, way too much coffee in the basket making a big impression in the puck with the showerscreen nut.
    Thanks Aaron for your help.