Thread: La Cimbali M21 Premium- 2 grp

La Cimbali M21 Premium- 2 grp

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi team,

have fairly recently joined the espresso train, starting out with a Carezza and an EM0450. This site has been my best friend, so thank you to all you wonderful snobs :)
    Have been wanting to get an HX and a commercial grinder for a while and came across a 2 group La Cimbali M21 Premium on trading post for $650- couldnt resist. thought it would at least be worth a play around :)
    http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Busine...=true&AdOnTop=
    Anyone have any experience with these machines? Are they amenable to modding for home use? Found it very hard to find any info and the one thread on CS http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1266380051 didnt have much luck...

(I also grabbed a Compak K6 from the same guy for $300.)
    http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Busine...=true&AdOnTop=

borat123

Re: La Cimbali M21 Premium- 2 grp

Cimbali 2 groups are built like a tank. Easy to get parts, and to work on. Once restored it will make very nice coffee. Do a search and see if you can find my old resto threads on the M27. The most expensive parts, if needed, might be the element (approx $200), pressure stat, vibe pump/s, and solenoid valve/s. I think yours looks like it might be a manual fill, so no electronics / gicar board ($300 new) to worry about. Seals, orings / gaskets etc are quite cheap. Coffeeparts will be your friend :)

cheers.

Thanks borat. Im going to pick the machine up tomorrow, are there any particular faults I should check for or hidden problems I should test for?
    And at $650, have I got myself a bargain or a liability? :-/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0F342A242D243432410 link=1278077769/2#2 date=1278563038
    Thanks borat. Im going to pick the machine up tomorrow, are there any particular faults I should check for or hidden problems I should test for?
    And at $650, have I got myself a bargain or a liability? * :-/
    Post purchase dissidence...

Dont worry about it.. Its done and dusted.. Go with teh flow..

Machine and Grinder is a great buy.

Trust you do have a 20A cct at home OR call for an electrician to install one, before you start trying to stuff around..

ooh good point, better call an electrician...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 122937393039292F5C0 link=1278077769/4#4 date=1278565649
    ooh good point, better call an electrician...
    Pays to0 be on teh ball... Err electron ;)

borat123

Quote Originally Posted by 7E455B555C554543300 link=1278077769/4#4 date=1278565649
    ooh good point, better call an electrician... *
    I second that. *

He can check the element for you too. * *I had an electrician come round to check what else was on the circuit, and how much current the machine drew. * I was lucky and it only required an updated circuit breaker in the meter box, rather than running a new line.

Even running a new line wont cost you the end of the earth. *I think he initially quoted me under $300 if it was required; and that was a run from one side of the house to the other...

Re good buy or not.... * *At that price you should expect to replace at least some of the major parts I listed above. * * Once your electrician has had a look, switch it on and try it out. * *You will soon find out what doesnt work, *and what leaks. *:D

Thanks for all your help guys. Are there any protocols or recommendations as to transport for this kind of machine? I did a search but couldnt uncover anything. Particular question is whether I can transport it hot (i.e. after testing it at the shop)?

Thoughts anyone? Im surprised that this issue hasnt come up before tbh. Or is it just that, being built like tanks, its really just a case of "try not to drop it"?

IMO
    If hot I would reduce the steam pressure in the boiler(s) to 0
    I would also make sure there is no pressure anywhere else. Remove any loose objects (PFs)
    Empty any lose top water tanks to stop slopping and to reduce weight. Drain what ever is drainable.
    I imagine its weight will be massive.
    Get some help to carry it at both ends of the trip.
    It would need to go into the boot of a car or back of a SUV. *Dont use the back seat and seat belt will be inadequate. It should also be roped so it cannot move around in case of a sudden stop. So you will need to find some fixing parts in the vehicle. Some padding might be good as well. *

May be useful!
    D