Thread: HX suggestions

HX suggestions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

After contemplating for the past few days I have decided that a HX type coffee machine would suit my needs. And here I am in the next price category.

I would like fellow cs members to provide me say 2 or 3 brands/models so I can research before I contact some site sponsers as I would like to do some background work first. At least we will have a 2 way conversation when I call them!

My requirements are:
    1. Price range up to say $2,300 - $2,500
    2. Must be reliable and have no know faults/issues
    3. Prefer all metal/stainless steel outer casing.
    4. Size not an issue as my kitchen bench has plenty of space
    5. I mainly make milk based drinks only and not more than 4 cups at a time.
    6. I prefer less electronics such as LCD screen, I like buttons, levers, knobs as i think they dont break as easily.

I hope the price range in regards to my wish list is not too over the top?

Basically, I just want a reliable brand that I dont need to fuss about if I took care of it.

Thank you.

P.S Sorry about my spelling, coulnt find the spell checker.

Michelle

Re: HX suggestions

Evening Michelle, Im biased, check out the Bezzera Domus Galatea great machine and built like a tank. http://www.supremeroasters.com.au/Espresso-Machines/bezzera-domus-galatea
    OK after typing the previous realised you may want to include a grinder in your budget, if so the Bezzera may be out. :)

TC

Welcome Michelle,

Rather than recommend one machine (i.e the one I have) and one supplier, you will find some great information in the machine review thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235000

The key thing is to choose a good machine which is right for you, and not necessarily from a range of one candidate. There are quite a few brands with excellent value in your price range.

Speak with a few sponsors, get their recommendations in your price range and then take it from there.

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm

My bias is towards my Expobar Leva.
    No digital readouts.
    A power switch, one gauge and a lever to turn the pump on and off.
    Not as shiny as some but definitely a solid and reliable machine.

1. Do you already have a grinder?

2. Try this for a bargain machine which ticks all your boxes.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1279340278

Its in Sydney so it would be a problem if you arent

Thanks for all your replies. I already have a Compak K3T grinder and I think it should handle the job okay.

I will look into some of the brands and models felllow cs members have recomended.

Michelle

You wont be sorry you went with an HX machine :D

In that price range, the main three would be:

VBM Domobar Junior
    Expobar Office Leva
    Diadema Unico Splendor (if you like the retro styling)

All great machines; the main differences are really in external styling. You also need to have a local supplier & service agent (especially if you dont want to care for the machine yourself)

Its worth having a try before you buy...maybe one of them will just feel more right than the others?

If you spend closer to $3000 there are a few more options in various offering different styling and a bit more power, like the Giotto, Galatea, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3408150E040512070F04600 link=1279618581/3#3 date=1279627158
    My bias is towards my Expobar Leva.
    Not as shiny as some but definitely a solid and reliable machine.
    A great machine & if it had a cooler name, Im sure it would be a lot more popular. :D
    Not sure how it is in Aust, but in NZ the suppliers of Expobar dont do a great job of brand promotion either.. pity! check out their website:
    http://www.expobar.co.nz/

If youre in Sydney you should head to Aroma Festival on Sunday, where some of the site sponsors will have their wares set up for you to try.

Im in your exact position and Ive found you can only do so much research into what makes a good machine - the real test is when you try it out in person and see the machine in the flesh.

Hi Daniel-San,
    The Aroma Festival sounds great. Do you have any further details in regards to time and place?

Thanks
    Michelle

Just checked online and it seems to be held at The Rocks. But it seems there are 3 venues? Can someone please confirm what area is the coffee machines and site sponsor will be as I dont want to wander to the wrong area and miss out.

Thanks
    Michelle

Hi Michelle. The sponsors will all be in the MCA this year... check out this thread for all the details and discussion:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1278047309/17#17

Banned

In that price range, you could also consider the Isomac La Mondiale or the cheaper Isomac Millenium

If you have the opportunity to visit the Aroma Festival, go test out the machine that the other sponsors have on display. Its always nice to actually use a machine before buying it.

Hi Michelle,

Id like to chime in here too.

In that price range there are many good machines. The manufactures went with different designs and made choices about what was most important to them. You really need to match that to your preferences rather than take our word for it. ;D

It would be a brave CoffeeSnob who would not recommend the machine they chose for themselves! ;)

I recommend you avail yourself of any opportunity to see and play with the different machines, especially when they are on display. One nice thing about sponsors is that their service is on show here and they are very good at telling you about the strong and weak points of each machine.

Have fun shopping!

Greg

Can some one explain what HX type is? heat exchanger ? wish this site had a wiki or glossary for newbies.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 416E75627768706275070 link=1279618581/13#13 date=1279699440
    Can some one explain what HX type is? heat exchanger ? wish this site had a wiki or glossary *for newbies. *
    Have a read of Randys explanation as a starter: http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/hx.html

NB there are dumb designs requiring massive cooling flushes and smarter ones as well...Its important to get a smart machine ;)

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 68475C4B5E41594B5C2E0 link=1279618581/13#13 date=1279699440
    Can some one explain what HX type is? heat exchanger ?
    Yes, heat exchanger.