Thread: Saeco Xelsis

Saeco Xelsis

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Is a Saeco Xelsis any good?? I can get one for $2500 ($1000 above my budget). If it is really really good, I dont mind spending move if it lasts longer.

Re: Saeco Xelsis

You will get the same answer from most of us here you have already got before on Autos DONT. Buy a good HX machine and grinder and you will have better coffees for a lot longer with only a little more effort on your part. Maintenance costs and higher numbers of regular services are required with autos over proper espresso machines too.

As to Saeco generally they are an appliance company like Sunbeam, Delonghi, Breville etc and are not specifically a coffee machine manufacturer.

Why yes it is good.

Its good at making crap coffee.

Buy a jar of instant instead. At least its not trying to be something its not. ;D

The day they work out how to make an auto process that does a good job is the day Baristas start looking for a new form of employment.

The more videos and reviews i look at, the more and more i become interested in it. Give me some models of machines that are better??

Quote Originally Posted by 4D111040250 link=1279947620/0#0 date=1279947620
    Is a Saeco Xelsis any good?? I can get one for $2500 ($1000 above my budget). If it is really really good, I dont mind spending move if it lasts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4D111040250 link=1279947620/3#3 date=1280025446
    The more videos and reviews i look at, the more and more i become interested in it. Give me some models of machines that are better??
    My answer is based on the topics you have posted on to date !

Go and spend your hard earned 2.5 k on it

However we reserve the right to say

"WE TOLD YOU SO"
    When everything goes belly up

KK

Edit
    However I think there is a place for super autos such as a business premises

Quote Originally Posted by 247879294C0 link=1279947620/3#3 date=1280025446
    Give me some models of machines that are better??
    If you want to go buy a super auto go to Hardly Normal get you XX months interest free and your machine will likely be dead before the interest free period is up.

Super Autos are not as good as manual machines in build quality at the consumer end or coffee quality and thats why places that strive to make the best coffees dont use them unlike Muck Donalds etc even at the better end of the market.

Site Sponsor

h45e

I know you may be looking at this community thinking we are a bunch of crazy coffee extremists and maybe partly or wholly we are but their is a reason there is a consensus towards Heat Exchanger machines over fully automatics for domestic use.

Two of the most frequent things I hear from owners of automatic owners when they are looking at upgrading is:

1. The automatic machine is constantly in the workshop getting fixed.
    2. The machine has cost me more out of warranty in repairs then what it cost me new.

This is usually coupled with: I would never recommend an automatic to anyone for home (as they walk out the door with their new Heat Exchanger).

I have had a brand new automatic on the bench at the Roastery and with fine tuning, fresh beans and adjustment e.g temperature, dosing, grind level and volume the BEST shot I could get out of it was at best a lackluster shot equivalent out of our domestic machines by the side and lacked any real depth or characteristics.

The texture and even taste of the milk was poor and lacked any mouthfeel or velvety creaminess which you would expected from a well made coffee. There was no crema milk ratio either on top of the coffee..it was just all froth. I politely declined to do more then taste the milk from it.

Now when you factor in this machine had a retail price of $7350 and was a more reliable machine (Jura X9) and still failed to compare to a circa $2,500 HX machine it leaves you wondering how or what the cheaper automatics will produce.

One thing Id like to point out also that is quite ironic is that most people buy super automatics so its less work for making coffee. The ironic thing is that to stop the machine from frequently breaking down or preforming to its best you need to do more daily and weekly maintenance then a HX machine requires. Thus negating the only real perceived benefit. This is especially true of machines that use fresh milk rather then powdered.

As I can sense a rush of urgency in your decision I would be happy to chat to you and explain further why Id recommend against going down the automatic track. If you have a budget between $1,500 and $2,500 then you can definitely get a great machine you will never need to upgrade again or worry about costly on going maintenance.

You have obviously got the coffee bug of wanting to make great coffee from somewhere and I believe it would be sad to see you waste your money on this machine and hence why I have taken the time to post this response to you.

To discuss the above you can contact me on (07) 3801 8989 or 0410 292 962. I will be in the office the rest of the day (Sunday) so will be contactable to answer any further questions or recommend machines within your budget.

Kind Regards,

Roger Bright
    Supreme Roasters
    (07) 3801 8989
    0410 292 962 *

Basically, my partners dad let me borrow his Breville Barvista for 6 months while he is overseas. Now this have gave me a pin prick if you will of making really good coffee at home. But the problem with this machine is that is too loud when making coffee and the neighbours are starting to complain (we have a single brick common wall - first home and all that). When I move to a home without any common walls (or a better deign to allow for soundproofing) I want to get a coffee machine that I can call my "second love".

I was thinking of the Saeco because I can keep beans in the machine and not take up any room. Also, I can roast and grind my own coffee when I get to that stage and put it into the bypass. It has its own steam wand when you want to make latte art, also I can get rid of my kettle for when my partner wants tea.

The main reason is that it is very silent (compared to the Breville) and I cant find any other coffee machine that are that silent (unless u count instant).

Why do you have to have an automatic machine? *

Its already been suggested to you on other posts that you dont necessarily need a machine with a pump to make good coffee.

Lever machines are quiet...a plunger is quiet...an aeropress or Presso are silent too.

I use a Presso and Bellman every morning to making two cracking lattes...in complete silence save for the grinder and then the milk frothing... ;)

and the most important thing is that I have ground the beans fresh that morning and the beans were roasted within a couple of weeks...

I can think of a lot of ways to spend $2500 on a machine other than an automatic.

...just for starters:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso from Sorrentina (silent) (could get it and a grinder from your extended budget)
    A La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II from Talk Coffee (apparently very quiet for a vibe pump, but larger - about the cost of your stretched budget but no grinder)
    A Lelit Combi from the sponsors like Jetblack or Talk Coffee (not quiet, but cheaper - $500 under your budget)
    ...that new Gee Espresso from Talk Coffee (not quiet, but you can get it and a grinder and stay on your budget)

...or walk down to your local cafe every morning.

Take Rogers advice - talk to him at Supreme Roasters or another sponsor.

Dont spend all of your money on a machine that is going to produce an okay coffee....when its working.

Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by 48141545200 link=1279947620/7#7 date=1280031153
    The main reason is that it is very silent (compared to the Breville) and I cant find any other coffee machine that are that silent (unless u count instant).

The most economical form of coffee making is
    The Greek/Turkish method

Cost less than $30 including coffee

It also covers your concern of noise as its whisper quiet

Takes mere minutes to make, consume & clean up

And I can train you the : How 2s" right here ;D

KK

Im 50/50 with xelsis and Cuadra by La Nuova Era.

Quote Originally Posted by 78242575100 link=1279947620/10#10 date=1280042105
    You know that the Cuadra is a HX machine

The vibe pump is loud not just on this machine but almost all vibe pump machines

It tends to sound louder in a room that echos (e.g. a kitchen)

A plumbed in machine is 85% quieter

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 510D0C5C390 link=1279947620/10#10 date=1280042105
    The noise comes from the vibe pumps in these coffee machines.

Both of these suckers are going to be just as noisy as the thing you have give or take a very little. Because they both have same type of noisy vibe pumps inside them. The built in grinder on the Saeco is not silent by a long shot.

If you are going to chase good coffee the pump noise is going to pale into insignificance if you buy a decent grinder. This will leave you with the only option of a hand grinder which you could use whilst covered by blankets perhaps under the cushions of your sofa ;D

Sorry...joke. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 752928781D0 link=1279947620/0#0 date=1279947620
    I bought one because a cheaper Saeco we had at work made 60,000 cups of coffee without a problem. Its much quieter than our old DeLonghi which never missed a beat in 4 years, and the coffee tastes better. Others here say that an auto will never make coffee as nice as at a coffee shop but I have had coffee at a couple of hundred coffee shops in Melbourne and about 10 in Sydney, and Ive only found 2 that make coffee better than the Xelsis, so what constitutes a good cup of coffee must be a fairly subjective thing. Having had this Xelsis now for 2 weeks Id say it makes about 1/5th the noise of our old DeLonghi. Im an Engineer, and there are a few aspects of the design that are flawed and I would do different if I was designing one, but they arent show stoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by 6879606C750D0 link=1279947620/13#13 date=1307553272
    Others here say that an auto will never make coffee as nice as at a coffee shop but I have had coffee at a couple of hundred coffee shops in Melbourne and about 10 in Sydney, and Ive only found 2 that make coffee better than the Xelsis....
    It is said that a superauto cannot make espresso as good as can be made with other types of espresso machines, but to say that it can make better espresso than most coffee shops is to damn it with feigned praise.

why did you even bother asking any questions? And why would you all bother posting lengthy replies? If he doesnt want to take advice, let him waste his 2.5k on a machine that is essentially identical to the barvista, just auto, that will die in a year or two and make barely mediocre coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 61455F4F444D2C0 link=1279947620/15#15 date=1307571964
    why would you all bother posting lengthy replies?
    This thread and most of the posts are almost a year old. Might be time to let it go. ;)

didnt realise; i suppose his saeco is broken by now I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 71424D475A7C640D230 link=1279947620/14#14 date=1307558745
    Quote Originally Posted by 6879606C750D0 link=1279947620/13#13 date=1307553272
    Others here say that an auto will never make coffee as nice as at a coffee shop but I have had coffee at a couple of hundred coffee shops in Melbourne and about 10 in Sydney, and Ive only found 2 that make coffee better than the Xelsis....
    It is said that a superauto cannot make espresso as good as can be made with other types of espresso machines, but to say that it can make better espresso than most coffee shops is to damn it with feigned praise.
    Look all Im saying is that for what Im looking for in a cup of coffee is being better met by the machine I bought than most of the coffee shops Ive visited. To say that is false praise is to say that I am wrong in liking the colour green because you like the colour red. Of the coffee experience thing I spent 8 days on a P&O cruise and disliked every coffee I had from the on-board baristas, they just didnt get it, do equation is much more complex than you give it credit for.

I would expect an engineer to have poor grammar skills ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 0F203B2C39263E2C3B490 link=1279947620/20#20 date=1308020683
    I would expect an engineer to have poor grammar skills ;)
    Steady on mate... :P

;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 04203A2A2128490 link=1279947620/17#17 date=1307578028
    didnt realise; i suppose his saeco is broken by now I had a laugh
    no just took a long time to reach a decision I think... there was a post from the same username (same person?) on the whirlpool forums a couple of months ago still asking for opinions on that Saeco machine, and then yesterday this...
    Just bought myself a DeLonghi Citiz and Milk Nespresso Coffee Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by 04203A2A2128490 link=1279947620/15#15 date=1307571964
    If he doesnt want to take advice
    sometimes (not specifically referring to this thread) the advice given to people who ask about superautos is a bit harsh especially to someone who obviously hasnt done much research into the alternatives.* encouragement to try a good machine, instead of criticism/ridicule for considering a superauto (which is sometimes the response we give) would, I belive, be much more effective.* although even then it doesnt always work - I tried my best and failed to convince my brother that he could be happier with a good manual machine.* Instead he bought a Nespresso and loves it - just have to accept that were all different I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by 1834342B3E296D62085B0 link=1279947620/21#21 date=1308535071
    just have to accept that were all different I suppose.

Thats a defeatist attitude >:(

Quote Originally Posted by 537F7F607562262943100 link=1279947620/21#21 date=1308535071
    just have to accept that were all different I suppose.
    no i think they need to know that were better than them :P