Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Why does the Bezzera Domus Galatea dislike up dosing?

Why does the Bezzera Domus Galatea dislike up dosing?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The title of the thread says it all.
    But in the words of an old professor "Why is it so ?"
    Ive done quite a bit of experimenting and come up with my own conclusions but before I lay my cards on the table wonder what others have discovered about this characteristic of the Bezzera Galatea. ;)

A_M

Re: Why does the Bezzera Domus Galatea dislike up dosing?

Dont have one but will take a punt and say that teh showscreen and the way the head distributes teh water has some impact ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 200F0604132C000F0006040C040F15610 link=1280972922/1#1 date=1280975846
    Dont have one but will take a punt and say that teh showscreen and the way the head distributes teh water has some impact *;)
    The nature of the shower screen set up certainly is the major influence but what I was looking for was how others found up dosing affected the machine and what they had done to get around the issue. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4C70796174150 link=1280972922/0#0 date=1280972922
    Ive done quite a bit of experimenting and come up with my own conclusions but before I lay my cards on the table wonder what others have discovered about this characteristic of the Bezzera Galatea.
    Always work with the parameters of the machine for best results (but you knew that ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by 4C70796174150 link=1280972922/2#2 date=1280982412
    The nature of the shower screen set up certainly is the major influence but what I was looking for was how others found up dosing affected the machine and what they had done to get around the issue.
    Up dosing is done by increasing the basket size

Its also the most sensible way
    If others are up dosing and squashing the coffee puck into the water screen then

Looking at it in a purely mechanical way I am afraid that they are causing damage

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 53777E7E7D7D4753776B7577180 link=1280972922/3#3 date=1280986144
    Always work with the parameters of the machine for best results (but you knew that Wink )
    I knew that. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53777E7E7D7D4753776B7577180 link=1280972922/3#3 date=1280986144
    Up dosing is done by increasing the basket size
    Top of the class KK, its certainly the way to go.

If others are up dosing and squashing the coffee puck into the water screen then

Looking at it in a purely mechanical way I am afraid that they are causing damage
    Yes they are, I know because Ive done it. :-[
    Will let the thread run a little longer before I explain the trial and error process I went through to reach my present point. :)

Dosing the Galatea gave me fits initially, using the double basket supplied with the machine I simply could not get the results I was looking for no matter how I played with the grind and volume.
    The 5 cent trick while helpful really only told me that dosing to get a faint impression of the coin on top of the puck was still over dosed for this machine.
    The result of overdosing on the Galatea is possible damage to the shower screen (i.e. minor crushing/bending) as KK has mentioned, and the biggest pain as far as I was concerned coffee grounds forced between the side of the shower screen and the seal, to the degree that no amount of back flushing with EVO would clean the stuff out, this is the reason I got into the habit of removing and cleaning the screen daily, the only way I was assured of a clean group area.
    I think it was KK that mentioned that the Galatea has a shower screen that sits quite low and that the distance top of the basket and the top of the puck should be around 8mm, there was no way I could get the dose I wanted and achieve this 8mm clearance with the double basket, searching through my collection of baskets I found one substantially larger than the double I was using, more like a triple, half an hour messing with the grind and weight in this basket produced exactly what I was after, 17 grams, 8mm gap, great repeatable shots of approx 50ml in 30 seconds and of course what I was looking for, a spotlessly clean seal/shower screen area.
    So the message is clear, think about what you want and the variables involved, then go about achieving your goal changing 1 variable at a time until you get the result your aiming for.
    While the 5 cent coin check may work for most machines I found it was of no use in the Galatea other than to tell me that seeing the imprint in the puck meant that the basket was still over dosed. :)

gonzo89 likes this.

It took me a while to get it right too - I was levelling off at the top of the basket and tamping only to find that the showerscreen was damaging the puck before the water even hit it.

The solution was investing in a depper Synesso basket and using a dosing tool to skim a tad off the top of the dose after levelling off - happy days since. :)

CTGTC

Go naked, get a triple basket, dose low and give your coffee room to bloom :) You may be surprised at the results.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 322936212C7871400 link=1280972922/7#7 date=1281393303
    Go naked, get a triple basket, dose low and give your coffee room to bloom :) *You may be surprised at the results.
    Agree fully... Every machine and some beans are different.

Thats what makes this coffee stuff so fun... NOT ;D ;D ;D ;D

You have to keep trying and accept that what worked yesterday or for machine X, may be the worse thing for machine Y.

Quote Originally Posted by 39223D2A27737A4B0 link=1280972922/7#7 date=1281393303
    Go naked, get a triple basket, dose low and give your coffee room to bloom :) *You may be surprised at the results.
    Been there done that Rival, got a local engineering firm to mill out a spare Rancilio PF I had, they did a very neat job, it worked ok, though must admit I found it gimmicky and a PITA to use, the results Im getting with my present set up suit me just fine.
    Keep an eye on the classifieds, will list the nekkid PF when I get around to it, at the moment its languishing in a cupboard down in the shed. ;)

Just on the subject of up-dosing

I am certain that most pro-sumer machines would encounter the same difficulty in consistent pours if one is to jamb the coffee puck in to the shower screen ::)

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2821212222180C28342A28470 link=1280972922/10#10 date=1281397191
    Just on the subject of up-dosing

I am certain that most pro-sumer machines would encounter the same difficulty in consistent pours if one is to jamb the coffee puck in to the shower screen * *::)

KK
    Morning KK,
    Cant comment on machines other than Silvia and the Galatea, I know that Silvia used to protest if you got carried away with the dose level, however you could dose her much closer to the top of the basket than the Bezzera, seems if you leave less than the 8mm gap with the Bezzera your in strife, not to mention that overdosing results in a mess at clean up time. ;)

Screen profiles also have an effect

Machines that have a flat screen such as the Silvia will probably have an extra 3 or 4 mm space available over a mushroom or convex screen profile

KK

A_M

Lets be clear here....

Quote Originally Posted by 68545D4550310 link=1280972922/11#11 date=1281398854
    seems if you leave less than the 8mm gap with the Bezzera your in strife

1: *CONTEXT people CONTEXT..

Your tamping and leaving an 8mm gap from the top of the rim of the PF to the top of teh puk

Your NOT tamping and when locking in leaving a *8mm space between the shower screen and the top of the puck.

2: If we concentrated on getting it sorted as to the space between the puck and the shower screen; then some might not be so confused...

KK where is that pic you posted *;D

Had a PM as to: *how one does the 5 cent test if you have 8mm of space *:-? *

Was tempted to say put the 5 cent piece on its edge... *But i did not. *Bugger - miss a great oppertunity to be a smartass *8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1280972922/13#13 date=1281399773
    KK where is that pic you posted
    Its uploaded
    See drawing

KK

OK Ive made my points and explained whats worked for me with the Bezzera, the machine is working perfectly and the shots Im producing are great, Ive attempted to explain how I got to this point.
    I wont muddy the water by getting into a long winded debate, read through my posts and accept or reject what I say , I really dont mind either way. ;)

Hey Thanks for this thread! I too was having the problem with overdose and the 5cent thing didnt happen well for me either.(screaming machine and mess!) finally thought Id just go with whatever worked for me, but still wasnt confident I was doing it all right. we recently had a barista training night at Lillianas in Hervey Bay and while others were getting the basic training, my focus was on the grind and tamping. the naked PF they had for us to use was FANTASTIC! and guess what? showed me that I was doing everything right all along! like youve all said...practice practice practice. BIG thank you I may not come on here a lot, but I read up everything I can.... ;D

I have come to this thread as a frustrated new Galatea owner. I have been grinding, weighing, wasting, drinking coffee for two days now and cant get things to fall into place.

Are you using a triple basket to make dual cups or single cups ? I ask because generally we would use the two shot handle to make coffee here at home, but you reference the naked handle which makes me think you were using the triple basket to make single cups....confused....

Also what ground coffee weights do you find you are using for both single and double shots in the Galatea ??

Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D282D3129747473440 link=1280972922/17#17 date=1286541058
    I have come to this thread as a frustrated new Galatea owner. I have been grinding, weighing, wasting, drinking coffee for two days now and cant get things to fall into place.

Are you using a triple basket to make dual cups or single cups ? I ask because generally we would use the two shot handle to make coffee here at home, but you reference the naked handle which makes me think you were using the triple basket to make single cups....confused....

Also what ground coffee weights do you find you are using for both single and double shots in the Galatea ??

Any help appreciated.
    All you need to know is
    Just tamp to a depth of 8mm from the top of the basket. Any basket

Then when you have the dose under control you can visit my milk steaming method for your machine

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

KK

have just tried this on the single shot filter, I measured up 8mm on the Pullman tamper and used the machined rings on the outside as a guide. Same grind as last night...gusher. I need to get back to basics here I dont even know how to set up the grinder initially - I just have too many variables going on. Sigh... I havent yet had a cup of coffee today, usually on a Sunday we would go down to the local espresso bar and grab a takeaway. With $3k worth of machine in the house you can imagine my wifes reluctance to now buy coffee outside home. I have tipped all bar one of the shots I have pulled from this machine down the sink - $30 worth of coffee!! :-/

Anyone want to buy a low use Domus ??

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2E2B2E322A777770470 link=1280972922/19#19 date=1286589597
    have just tried this on the single shot filter, I measured up 8mm on the Pullman tamper and used the machined rings on the outside as a guide. Same grind as last night...gusher. I need to get back to basics here I dont even know how to set up the grinder initially - I just have too many variables going on. Sigh... I havent yet had a cup of coffee today, usually on a Sunday we would go down to the local espresso bar and grab a takeaway. With $3k worth of machine in the house you can imagine my wifes reluctance to now buy coffee outside home. I have tipped all bar one of the shots I have pulled from this machine down the sink - $30 worth of coffee!! *:-/

giggled like a schoolgirl... NOT

Look I am at Wooloowin and more than happy to drop around and show you just how easy it is..

Gets ready to put both feet into mouth :D

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 2722273B237E7E794E0 link=1280972922/19#19 date=1286589597
    have just tried this on the single shot filter, I measured up 8mm on the Pullman tamper and used the machined rings on the outside as a guide. Same grind as last night...gusher. I need to get back to basics here I dont even know how to set up the grinder initially - I just have too many variables going on. Sigh... I havent yet had a cup of coffee today, usually on a Sunday we would go down to the local espresso bar and grab a takeaway. With $3k worth of machine in the house you can imagine my wifes reluctance to now buy coffee outside home. I have tipped all bar one of the shots I have pulled from this machine down the sink - $30 worth of coffee!! *:-/

If you dont want it I will ;), but...

1) Have you got fresh beans? If youre unsure buy half a kilo from beanbay or Di Bella (Bowen Hills)
    2) Have you got a grinder that cost >$200? If not head back to Barazi and grab a decent grinder. If youre using pre-ground coffee thats your problem.

Im confident that if your technique is right and you know how to adjust the grinder youll be able to get good results with the above. Im sure AM will be able to help too ;)

Greg

Yes - using DiBella beans (Modena :)) and a Mazzer Mini electronic...

AM-I know where you live !! I dropped past early in the year to look at your BZ99. Only just managed to buy something.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C696C7068353532050 link=1280972922/22#22 date=1286595911
    Yes - using DiBella beans (Modena :)) and a Mazzer Mini electronic...

AM-I know where you live !! I dropped past early in the year to look at your BZ99. Only just managed to buy something.
    Well if ya need a hand... Just shout.

Quote Originally Posted by 5C595C4058050502350 link=1280972922/19#19 date=1286589597
    With $3k worth of machine in the house you can imagine my wifes reluctance to now buy coffee outside home. I have tipped all bar one of the shots I have pulled from this machine down the sink - $30 worth of coffee!!Undecided

Anyone want to buy a low use Domus ?? *
    Dont blame the equipment
    You need to create the right amount of resistance in the puck in one or both ways
    Grind fineness and Tamp pressure

I am also willing to help out with "On Machine Training" if you give me a shout & I have lots of experience with the Galatea * ;)

KK

Not blaming the equipment man - just realizing now my shortcomings. But on the other hand after reading this thread I thought there may be some intricacies to this machine. I just want to remove one variable, say, dose amount - then I can concentrate on tamp and grind. Theres just too many points of change every time I attempt to make a coffee.

I am heading to the Valley / New Farm on Sunday morning.
    Dropping off my daughter to meet with friends

I can swing by your place to give you hands on training if you like & bring some nice home roasted Sumatra coffee

KK

Are you serious ?? I am at Gordon Park... Ill PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3336332F376A6A6D5A0 link=1280972922/27#27 date=1286605362
    Are you serious ?? I am at Gordon Park... Ill PM you.
    Of course I am serious
    PM received and replied

KK

Another happy outcome from the CS community! Nice work KK [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Looking forward to being made look like an idiot :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by 3E3B3E223A676760570 link=1280972922/30#30 date=1286626853
    Looking forward to being made look like an idiot *:D :D
    Not so 007, all machines have their quirks, once you master the Galatea (and you will) you will find it an easy machine to use, the results will speak for them selves. ;)

This is what my portafilter is looking like after a single shot - I know it is not meant to look like this. Its kind of muddy on top and I have circled the bit where I can see it has cavitated and gushed around the edge of the puck. This happened about 10sec into the pour.

You will be handling the group handles like a pro soon-very-soon * 8-)

Will also bring a surprise (or 2) item as well
    So get into a wax "on" wax "off" frame of mind *;)

KK

:D :D Im not gonna sleep...maybe its excitement, maybe its the 4 cups of coffee I have had in the past 2 hours ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 3C393C2038656562550 link=1280972922/32#32 date=1286629665
    This is what my portafilter is looking like after a single shot - I know it is not meant to look like this. Its kind of muddy on top and I have circled the bit where I can see it has cavitated and gushed around the edge of the puck. This happened about 10sec into the pour.
    I will have you pulling shots like these

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkWjQnLJ6-E[/media]

Yea thats me ;)
    KK

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by 2227223E267B7B7C4B0 link=1280972922/32#32 date=1286629665
    Just from that photo above....

Confirm what the others have already mentioned but it also appears that you may have a very undersized Tamper. There seems to be a wall of uncompressed coffee adhering to the sides of the basket. You may need to bring a decent Tamper along with you KK.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 113C383439550 link=1280972922/37#37 date=1286636441
    Confirm what the others have already mentioned but it also appears that you may have a very undersized Tamper. There seems to be a wall of uncompressed coffee adhering to the sides of the basket. You may need to bring a decent Tamper along with you KK....
    Convex tamper is on my to take list Mal
    But I believe he has a Pullman

KK

KK dropped in to day for a few hours and took me through everything top to bottom - I cant express my appreciation enough. I now have a basis to work from and he shared some secrets that will make life a lot easier !!

We even roasted some single origin beans out on the back deck with his home roaster - it was awesome to watch !!! That is the next purchase on the cards !

Thanks KK for the assistance and time. :)

Onya KK.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

A true CSer mate [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 0C21252924480 link=1280972922/40#40 date=1286685708
    Onya KK.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

A true CSer mate [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Mal.

Before I arrived illium007 was on training wheels and occasionally falling off

After my visit I feel confident that he will be OK on his own

Wishing you many lovely coffees ahead *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by 2124213D2578787F480 link=1280972922/39#39 date=1286682810
    KK dropped in to day for a few hours and took me through everything top to bottom - I cant express my appreciation enough. I now have a basis to work from and he shared some secrets that will make life a lot easier !!

We even roasted some single origin beans out on the back deck with his home roaster - it was awesome to watch !!! That is the next purchase on the cards !

Thanks KK for the assistance and time.

The pleasure was all mine

I would normally say good luck but I dont think you need luck because you now know the fundamentals
    He pulled a tiger stripe shot people

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 57737A7A79794357736F71731C0 link=1280972922/41#41 date=1286686913
    He pulled a tiger stripe shot people
    Excellent.... 8-)

Must have had a good teacher, eh ;)

Mal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4A4F4A564E131314230 link=1280972922/39#39 date=1286682810

Thanks KK for the assistance and time. *:)
    So in light of what KK has said above..

WHAT was the issues, that you had were dealing with: Such that you could not get, where you expected to be.

1: Beans
    2: Grind
    3: Tamp
    4: Dose level
    5: User assumptions and too many variables ?

KK can only say so much and for other NEW users is will assist if your honest and toss it out there for them to see that every one makes assumptions and that some local ONE on ONE may just be what they need.

Keep posting and letting us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 604F4644536C404F4046444C444F55210 link=1280972922/43#43 date=1286758453
    WHAT was the issues that you had were dealing with such that you could not get where you expected to.
    Mornin AM, you took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

Just got home from work guys - havent had time to check the forums today :o

The main things I took away from my session with KK was that there is no real need to be **EXACT** in every aspect of the process. Once KK showed me his method of measuring the beans into the grinder that took away one variable. Now I can dose roughly the same amount each time.

My grinder wasnt too far off, some minor adjustments with the grind were required once I was tamping roughly the same pressure each time.

We found it was easier to stall the machine with too fine a grind and then back the grind off to give the required results in the cup.

As I said, these basics have now given me a platform to work from.

I am far from sorted out but I now have somewhere to work from. Its all experimentation from here.